RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is There A Clear Cut Favorite To Win The Title This Year?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 08/13/18 7:52 am    ::: Is There A Clear Cut Favorite To Win The Title This Year? Reply Reply with quote

Is this season the most wide open?

PostPosted: 08/13/18 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes. Any team making the playoffs has the talent to win, even Dallas. There's no sure things come the playoffs and that's very good for the league. The past three seasons it was LA & Minnesota with maybe New York challenging them.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle is the clear cut favorite. I’m not sure why we collectively ignore that.

The next closest team to them, lost one of their all stars. I don’t think the non Tiff members of the team will continue to play at as high of a level as they have been. (Although, Renee might be making Reeve cry a bit).

The Mystics, IMO, are next most likely to win..by they are certainly a “live by the three, die by the three. Kind of team. That, and Mike hasn’t shown an ability to get his team the win.

CT doesn’t have one of the best players in the world. They won’t win. They likely won’t even win in the do or die situation.

Minny doesn’t have a playmaker, unless Lindsay drinks the fountain of youth. They won’t win.

La and Merc have the same issue..production outside of their star players. Both teams can go deep, but they aren’t beating Seattle without an entire team contribution.

Dallas might be the scariest under 500 team ever, if healthy..and I don’t think teams want to play them..but they are so inconsistent and given a new coach (although maybe a honey moon period is coming?) I don’t see them making it out of the first round.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington and Connecticut have depth. Los Angeles, Phoenix and Minnesota all have the talent and experience. Dallas, though a total dark horse, could make a run.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics actually don't have any good secondary lineups anymore. We're probably the most reliant on our starting 5 than every other playoff team except Phoenix (though for them it's more like 3 players).

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle has to be the favorite, but the Storm are not so much better than the Sparks, to name just one, that the series will be just a formality.

This should be a very interesting postseason.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Washington and Connecticut have depth. Los Angeles, Phoenix and Minnesota all have the talent and experience. Dallas, though a total dark horse, could make a run.

Don't you mean dark Pegasus? Wink

PostPosted: 08/13/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Seattle is the clear cut favorite. I’m not sure why we collectively ignore that.

I don't think most of us do. I agree, Seattle are the definite favourites (albeit with the caveat that it's hard to go from virtually no playoff experience (in recent times, with this core) to champions).

Picking who the favourites are to meet them in the Finals is much more complicated. This is the most wide open field we've seen in aaaaaaages heading into the playoffs.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Mystics actually don't have any good secondary lineups anymore. We're probably the most reliant on our starting 5 than every other playoff team except Phoenix (though for them it's more like 3 players).

Agree Smile

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/13/18 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keeping my fingers Ariel Atkins is okay from the fall she had on her hip.

The Mystics have EDD, Kristi, Ariel, Natasha, LaToya, Mo and Aerial clicking, the Mystics will be dangerous in the playoffs

And1

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Maybe because the Mystics just clobbered them a few days ago? I don't see Seattle, or anyone else for that matter, a clear cut favorite.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO it is anyone title to win. We have seen the top teams upset, the lower teams win etc. This might be a better question to ask when we find out who will be in the finals.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Maybe because the Mystics just clobbered them a few days ago? I don't see Seattle, or anyone else for that matter, a clear cut favorite.

At 8am their time on a long road trip. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
And1 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

To be fair the Mystics only lost by 4 in Seattle without Delle Donne (+Cloud and Sanders) and then by 6 in Seattle on a back-to-back afternoon game after getting to their hotel rooms at like 3 am iirc? Head-to-head suggests that the teams are at a pretty similar level at the very least.

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Home court is always an advantage, and we did beat them twice already, same with the Sun, Wings, Sparks, Lynx, Mercury, the only team to beat us twice are the Dream, and both time was in their court. So clinching the #1 seed bodes well for us.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
And1 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

To be fair the Mystics only lost by 4 in Seattle without Delle Donne (+Cloud and Sanders) and then by 6 in Seattle on a back-to-back afternoon game after getting to their hotel rooms at like 3 am iirc? Head-to-head suggests that the teams are at a pretty similar level at the very least.

Doesn’t matter how much they lost by, key word being lost. Like Mercfan said, we were in the middle of Long ass road trip.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
And1 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Doesn’t matter how much they lost by, key word being lost. Like Mercfan said, we were in the middle of Long ass road trip.

Hopefully we get a 5-game series to settle this Wink

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
And1 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Hopefully we get a 5-game series to settle this Wink

I’m not saying they will give us a run for our money, they are tough team to match up, which makes me glad we’ll have the home court lo 😂😉

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
And1 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Home court is always an advantage, and we did beat them twice already, same with the Sun, Wings, Sparks, Lynx, Mercury, the only team to beat us twice are the Dream, and both time was in their court. So clinching the #1 seed bodes well for us.

The Dream beat Seattle in Seattle the first game they played this year. I can still hear Dick Fain screaming about all the bad calls. Razz Dream lost the second game in Atlanta, but won the third one. Dream swept the Sun and won twice against the Storm, Mystics, Sparks and Lynx. Sadly, Angel's injury kind of makes all that moot.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More level playing field combined w/ the (stupid) single-game rounds should make for an interesting, albeit much too short, playoff.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:
And1 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

The Dream beat Seattle in Seattle the first game they played this year. I can still hear Dick Fain screaming about all the bad calls. Razz Dream lost the second game in Atlanta, but won the third one. Dream swept the Sun and won twice against the Storm, Mystics, Sparks and Lynx. Sadly, Angel's injury kind of makes all that moot.

Dick gets excited, that is for sure, but he loves the game and team. Most would love to have that kind of passion calling their teams game. Some of y’all have sleepers that sound like they are calling a sewing match 😂

PostPosted: 08/13/18 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do a lot of sewing. I can tell when my machine needs oil because it sounds like Dick Fain calling a basketball match.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/13/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm LA, I'm doing whatever it takes to have Nneka closer to 100% as it's possible to get. If rest will help, then give her the week off. They have little chance of earning the bye and playing any of the other bottom playoff teams is virtually equal at this point. The team is completely different when Nneka is on her game - which she hasn't been for at least a month. I don't think there's a preference between Mystics/Sun either.

~rAf
tfan

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird is 2-10 in first round playoff series/elimination games, but she did go all the way after those 2 wins.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: