RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Just wondering - Rene Portland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard 77

PostPosted: 07/22/18 2:33 pm    ::: Just wondering - Rene Portland Reply Reply with quote

Torn. Should I feel saddened that someone from basketball history has died, or should I feel, Bye Felicia?

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/22/18 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think if you want to be in touch with your humanity, you feel saddened that she died. If not for her, for her loved ones at the very least.

No one says you have to like her for what she did or how she acted, but man cancer is horrific and no one should have to go through that.
StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/22/18 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-rene-portland-penn-state-obit-20180722-story.html

PostPosted: 07/22/18 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her family at least deserves whatever condolences come their way....I have no doubt she was loved by many.

Rene displayed a high level of playing and coaching ability. She brought much to our game. It's unfortunate her legacy--especially what she constructed at Penn State--will be forever marred by her discriminatory belief system and consequent choices. Can't *unring* a bell.

PostPosted: 07/22/18 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
I think if you want to be in touch with your humanity, you feel saddened that she died. If not for her, for her loved ones at the very least.

No one says you have to like her for what she did or how she acted, but man cancer is horrific and no one should have to go through that.

Thanks for your post. It's not that I wanted to be indifferent, but knowing this community as I do, I'd rather not ruffle the feathers of the members pro or con coach Portland.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
bucks4now

PostPosted: 07/22/18 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RIP

CBiebel

PostPosted: 07/23/18 4:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

FWIW, one of her former players just won a NC this past year. Portland was the head coach at St. Joe's during McGraw's senior season.

Interesting bit of trivia: Portland was the only mentor of McGraw whom McGraw never beat.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/23/18 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:

Thanks for your post. It's not that I wanted to be indifferent, but knowing this community as I do, I'd rather not ruffle the feathers of the members pro or con coach Portland.

I've noticed that with this community, you can ruffle feathers if you exclaim that the sun was shining.
pilight

PostPosted: 07/23/18 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
I've noticed that with this community, you can ruffle feathers if you exclaim that the sun was shining.

They're in 8th place. You consider that shining?

PostPosted: 07/23/18 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last time I saw Rene, she was just another grandma in the stands at Assembly Hall; helping her daughter ride herd on the grandkids. Her son in law, Jose Mora, was an assistant at Indiana at the time.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My condolences to her friends and family. That's it. I do not personally mourn her passing.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Complicated legacy for sure - would be very welcome to read a Voepel column on Rene’s impact on the game itself.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/23/18 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

R.I.P. Rene wonder if Mazz has any words for this ?

PostPosted: 07/24/18 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Complicated indeed. I'm obviously sorry for her family and friends, and it's clear that a lot of people who played and worked for her loved her dearly.

But you still can't just flat-out ignore the controversies and the negative things that happened under her watch, which is what a lot of the tributes--including those from current coaches who I know don't agree with her anti-LGBT views--are doing, which leaves me a little uncomfortable.

PRballer

PostPosted: 07/24/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Complicated indeed. I'm obviously sorry for her family and friends, and it's clear that a lot of people who played and worked for her loved her dearly.

But you still can't just flat-out ignore the controversies and the negative things that happened under her watch, which is what a lot of the tributes--including those from current coaches who I know don't agree with her anti-LGBT views--are doing, which leaves me a little uncomfortable.

Exactly - feel the same way. And the woman could coach, that's for sure - and it's well known she fought for equal opportunities for women back in the day and Penn State was a legit/respected program...but...yeah.

I won't name names, but there are several prominent women's coaches and personalities who have either been quoted or posted condolences on Twitter that left me scratching my head....like this woman negatively recruited against you. I know it's complicated but these are some of her contemporaries and colleagues that seem to think fondly of her.

Whereas many articles buried this homophobia later in the story, I thought the Washington Post obit by Harrison Smith had the most upfront/direct correlation to her documented anti LGBT stance, including the headline:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/rene-portland-penn-state-basketball-coach-accused-of-anti-gay-discrimination-dies-at-65/2018/07/23/625993d4-8e81-11e8-8322-b5482bf5e0f5_story.html?utm_term=.5cad2bd5ce20

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/24/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Exactly - feel the same way. And the woman could coach, that's for sure - and it's well known she fought for equal opportunities for women back in the day and Penn State was a legit/respected program...but...yeah.

I won't name names, but there are several prominent women's coaches and personalities who have either been quoted or posted condolences on Twitter that left me scratching my head....like this woman negatively recruited against you. I know it's complicated but these are some of her contemporaries and colleagues that seem to think fondly of her.

Whereas many articles buried this homophobia later in the story, I thought the Washington Post obit by Harrison Smith had the most upfront/direct correlation to her documented anti LGBT stance, including the headline:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/rene-portland-penn-state-basketball-coach-accused-of-anti-gay-discrimination-dies-at-65/2018/07/23/625993d4-8e81-11e8-8322-b5482bf5e0f5_story.html?utm_term=.5cad2bd5ce20

I'd say that just shows the class of the individuals involved - both the high and the low. Wink

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/26/18 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In regards to the last few posts..AND some threw some shade as if to say that her being that cruel was okay. Idk, but I read between the lines. Uou know how some ppl can be so extra (like me!)

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/08/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mel Greenberg has the most thorough obituary:

http://womhoops.blogspot.com/2018/07/former-penn-state-wwb-coach-rene.html
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/11/18 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/harrisondsmith/status/1021527687180021761

"No drinking, no drugs, no dykes" is more likely. Razz

CBiebel

PostPosted: 08/11/18 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Hmmm?

Recalling playing on the first of the Immaculata champions, won in the Midwest, Portland always noted the experience saying, “We flew out there on standby and came home first class after some donors helped pay the flight home.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/11/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Hmmm?

Recalling playing on the first of the Immaculata champions, won in the Midwest, Portland always noted the experience saying, “We flew out there on standby and came home first class after some donors helped pay the flight home.

Things were easier before the NCAA got involved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: