Board Junkies Forums

Sparks💥 @ Liberty🗽 - 8/08/18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/10/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
I tend to think the Liberty have pretty good guards...

If pretty good means "a quality backup," I agree: the team is loaded with them. I can't see a single one of them starting on a good team.

I think you can say that about every player on the Liberty other than Charles. So, it's a matter of which mediocre position deserves priority over the other mediocre positions -- and all that has to be in the context of available replacements.

It's reasonable to prioritize for a center, but it's questionable whether McCowan/Brown will really be any good, and even if so, whether they will be available. It's also reasonable to prioritize for a perimeter shooter or an athletic scoring forward. Frankly, the Liberty can use help at every position, but again, no one player will be enough to bring the team into strong playoff contention, much less championship contention.

Forced to pick at this too early stage before their senior seasons, I'd probably take KLS for the perimeter shooter priority, Napheesa Collier for the forward priority, and McCowan or Jessica Shepard or Brianna Turner for the center priority.
Randy

PostPosted: 08/10/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if the big centers will become outdated as they now seem to be in the NBA. The 4 top teams in the standings now Storm, Dream, Mystics and Sparks all start undersized centers: Howard, Williams, Sanders and Ogwumike. (I admit to some confusion as to who exactly is the center for the Storm and Spars but whoever it is is no more than 6-4.) Teams 6-8 have the big dominant posts (6-7 and up) and the Sun play Jones (6-6) a lot.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I wonder if the big centers will become outdated as they now seem to be in the NBA. The 4 top teams in the standings now Storm, Dream, Mystics and Sparks all start undersized centers: Howard, Williams, Sanders and Ogwumike. (I admit to some confusion as to who exactly is the center for the Storm and Spars but whoever it is is no more than 6-4.) Teams 6-8 have the big dominant posts (6-7 and up) and the Sun play Jones (6-6) a lot.

Where there a lot of dominant centers in the past that were bigger then 6'5?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
I tend to think the Liberty have pretty good guards...

If pretty good means "a quality backup," I agree: the team is loaded with them. I can't see a single one of them starting on a good team.

I think you can say that about every player on the Liberty other than Charles. So, it's a matter of which mediocre position deserves priority over the other mediocre positions -- and all that has to be in the context of available replacements...

I agree, you can say that about all the players, with the possible exception of Rebecca Allen, who I don't think anyone would want at all (unless she can demonstrate that Wednesday's game against the Sparks was not a one-time thing).

But when it comes to deciding which mediocre position deserves priority, I'll repeat that we already have a great post player, and that we have nothing on the perimeter to take the pressure off of that great player. That perimeter player does not have to come from the draft; our players do have trade value for teams seeking depth, so if we offer a few of them we might be able to bring back a player who gives the Liberty what they need. Assuming we actually have a GM, of course.

That perimeter player doesn't even have to come this year. If it doesn't, the Liberty may well be in the lottery again and will have a lot of ping pong balls based on the WNBA's two year lottery system (which I really like as an anti-tank measure). If that's the plan to get better, I really can't argue, but they won't be ready to compete with most of the league until they get that outside threat.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/10/18 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Where there a lot of dominant centers in the past that were bigger then 6'5?

It's more like recent history, but Fowles and Griner were starting centers in 3 of the last 4 championship teams. With the addition of Jones and Cambage it seemed as though the bigs were taking over and their teams were among the pre-season favorites. Except they are all at the low end of the playoff seeding now and the small ball teams are at the top. I'm just asking - is this a trend, or just a set of circumstances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: