RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

MGM Resorts International becomes official gaming partner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/31/18 1:37 pm    ::: MGM Resorts International becomes official gaming partner Reply Reply with quote

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/07/31/mgm-resorts-international-becomes-official-gaming-partner-nba-official-release

Quote:
MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) and the National Basketball Association (NBA) announced today a new multi-year partnership that will make MGM Resorts the official gaming partner of the NBA and WNBA

PostPosted: 07/31/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow - MGM is going all in. WNBA Aces, Summer League, Official Betting Partner - can an NBA team be for behind?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/31/18 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Show me the money! Laughing

PostPosted: 07/31/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You have to wonder how close MGM is to getting an NBA team?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 07/31/18 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
You have to wonder how close MGM is to getting an NBA team?

https://www.ktnv.com/sports/mgm-ceo-says-las-vegas-could-land-nba-team-within-5-years

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/06/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is one line from the article:

"MGM Resorts and the NBA will also partner on best-in-class practices to protect the integrity of NBA and WNBA games"

In light of the travel problems and game cancellation I'd say they have to work a little harder on the whole integrity thing. Laughing

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/06/18 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

"MGM Resorts and the NBA will also partner on best-in-class practices to protect the integrity of NBA and WNBA games"

In light of the travel problems and game cancellation I'd say they have to work a little harder on the whole integrity thing. Laughing

In some ways, yes, but looking at it from the other side, I think it does help the integrity of the WNBA if it doesn't include players being forced to play games on no sleep. I know with fans it's all "me me me" when it comes to what is important, but fair working conditions for the players should also be an element of a professional league.
We can't demand a high level of effort and performance from the players while also making it impossible for them to deliver it.

PostPosted: 08/06/18 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

In light of the travel problems and game cancellation I'd say they have to work a little harder on the whole integrity thing. :lol:

In some ways, yes, but looking at it from the other side, I think it does help the integrity of the WNBA if it doesn't include players being forced to play games on no sleep. I know with fans it's all "me me me" when it comes to what is important, but fair working conditions for the players should also be an element of a professional league.
We can't demand a high level of effort and performance from the players while also making it impossible for them to deliver it.

I think we are on the same wavelength here. I agree that the LV players standing up to the crazy schedule and the unforeseen travel problems was appropriate. I believe the best option available Thursday night or Friday morning would have been to postpone the game until Saturday morning, still allowing for both teams to travel for their Sunday games. Once the team was put in the position of losing a night's sleep Thursday night, the prospect of playing Friday night should have been abandoned. Exactly what happened with regard to employing a charter for either Thursday night or Friday morning is unclear, but that should have been considered the only way to play the next night. I don't know all the facts (and I'm not sure we will ever know), but the decision to split the team up and fly overnight to Dallas with a connection to DC the next day to play that night should have been seen as an unacceptable travel schedule, but it seems neither the League nor Aces management seemed to understand this.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/06/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bottom line for me is that the low-budget nature of the WNBA is just a fact of life for the foreseeable future, and therefore so is travel problems. So it is up to the WNBA to have some clear guidelines in place about what is acceptable and what is expected of teams. It's ridiculous that this is still an unknown at this poiint. It shouldn't even have been an unknown at midnight the night before the game IMO. Something should have been decided by that point, one way or the other.
We can argue about where the line should be, but there needs to be one somewhere.

PostPosted: 08/06/18 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this new partnership a big reason for the league dragging its feet on announcing a decision (or non-decision)?

toad455

PostPosted: 08/06/18 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
Is this new partnership a big reason for the league dragging its feet on announcing a decision (or non-decision)?

Probably.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: