62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 16

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/03/18 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
The ownership (MGM Resorts International) should be fined and the WNBA should execute a forfeit against the Las Vegas Aces for refusing to play the game. MGM Resorts International when finding out the travel situation with the Aces should've done an emergency petition to WNBA League Office so their corporate jet could be used for the Aces travel to Washington, D.C.

I feel for the Aces players and Staff but MGM Resorts International could've alleviated the situation.

The Mystics were at the arena waiting for the Aces who refuse to show up, the game should be forfeited and a win awarded to the Mystics.

Are you aware if MGM knew the process? They are the newest members so are you 100% sure this was made as a point of emphasis? And if so why did the W not reach out to LVFO? It was all over social media and W offices were tagged in every post so whats good for the goose....This could be one of the ugliest CBA negotiations we've ever seen smh Embarassed. I feel as though this was the spark to the fire.

Bill Laimbeer has been around long enough, he should've been on the blow horn to his superiors at MGM Resorts International. Heck, there's no way if I'm the GM & Head Coach of the Las Vegas Aces will I have my players sleeping in an airport. The so call GM/Head Coach after attempting to get decent accommodations from higher ups should've whipped out the company plastic card.

You should swing him a DM for verification before assuming...ijs. We all know hes a user here.

PostPosted: 08/03/18 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
The ownership (MGM Resorts International) should be fined and the WNBA should execute a forfeit against the Las Vegas Aces for refusing to play the game. MGM Resorts International when finding out the travel situation with the Aces should've done an emergency petition to WNBA League Office so their corporate jet could be used for the Aces travel to Washington, D.C.

I feel for the Aces players and Staff but MGM Resorts International could've alleviated the situation.

The Mystics were at the arena waiting for the Aces who refuse to show up, the game should be forfeited and a win awarded to the Mystics.

Are you aware if MGM knew the process? They are the newest members so are you 100% sure this was made as a point of emphasis? And if so why did the W not reach out to LVFO? It was all over social media and W offices were tagged in every post so whats good for the goose....This could be one of the ugliest CBA negotiations we've ever seen smh Embarassed. I feel as though this was the spark to the fire.

Bill Laimbeer has been around long enough, he should've been on the blow horn to his superiors at MGM Resorts International. Heck, there's no way if I'm the GM & Head Coach of the Las Vegas Aces will I have my players sleeping in an airport. The so call GM/Head Coach after attempting to get decent accommodations from higher ups should've whipped out the company plastic card.

You should swing him a DM for verification before assuming...ijs. We all know hes a user here.

Yeah I know LVFO or whatever his handle is these days uses this board from time to time. I'm not here to kiss his or anyone else backside The Las Vegas Aces Player's weren't treated with respect and I don't care who I upset by saying so.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/03/18 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

I don't know why I am bothering ...

If weather was making it so planes couldn't take off, how in the world would a private plane (that they are not allowed to use, btw) have made any difference?

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/03/18 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

If weather was making it so planes couldn't take off, how in the world would a private plane (that they are not allowed to use, btw) have made any difference?

Weather Forecast, we all watch it to prepare for everyday travel. Also, the team is own by a Major Resort, someone could've easily made a call to a competitor for decent accommodations for the players so they wouldn't have to sleep in an airport.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/03/18 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

One potential difference is that a private plane, once in the air, could follow a non-stop flight plan to avoid bad weather and to eliminate the possibility of a second delay at another airport which could happen with commercial flights requiring a connection.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/04/18 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a big mess! I don't for one minute think that the Aces didn't want to play the game. What do you think their legs would have been like in addition to being tired and be expected to run up and down the floor. Bill at least is being concerned for his players. I bet that if the Sparks would find themselves in the same situation they wouldn't have to forfit the game. A poster on here mentioned that Washington had that bad leak and that game was rescheduled so why can't this one be.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/04/18 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Yeah I know LVFO or whatever his handle is these days uses this board from time to time. I'm not here to kiss his or anyone else backside The Las Vegas Aces Player's weren't treated with respect and I don't care who I upset by saying so.

But your orginal comment was about how they should be fined? Confused

PostPosted: 08/04/18 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just because MGM Resorts International owns the Aces doesn't make them responsible for the day-to-day operations of the team. The franchise is a separate corporation. How they function is their own responsibility and that of the WNBA. If all WNBA teams travel by commercial flight, then the Aces have to travel commercial. In fact, if MGM provided an unfair advantage to their team through the use of a private jet, then that itself might be some kind of violation.

This is a weather issue. Games get canceled in other sports too. The WNBA League Office should have stepped in and canceled the game earlier as they saw the problems develop. They're the ones who put the Aces in this untenable position. It sounds like the Aces did everything within reason to get to the game. Telling exhausted players they have to go directly to the arena and immediately play a game after a day-long journey where they barely had any sleep is unreasonable. They should not have to forfeit the game. This was beyond their control -- certainly much less so than Washington's arena leak that canceled a game. If that didn't warrant a forfeiture, then bad weather -- an act of God -- certainly doesn't either.

PostPosted: 08/04/18 5:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sleeping in the airport is one thing, but couldn't they have bought one-day passes to the first-class lounge so they don't have to use their carry-on bag as a pillow? Shocked

Even if the players had to pay for it themselves, the United and American Express Platinum lounge passes in LV are ~$50, have daybeds and free food/drink. Or are lounges not allowed due to it being a part of the unfair advantage? Question

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/04/18 6:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
This is a weather issue. Games get canceled in other sports too. The WNBA League Office should have stepped in and canceled the game earlier as they saw the problems develop. They're the ones who put the Aces in this untenable position. It sounds like the Aces did everything within reason to get to the game.

That depends. They booked a pretty late flight in terms of the initial option, when most teams probably would've booked a much earlier option, giving them more leeway if things went wrong. Does that make them culpable?

Also of note, no idea how reliable this guy is as a source, but according to him the Aces were given approval the day before to use a charter if necessary to get to this game: https://twitter.com/BySamGordon/status/1025535333545308163

PostPosted: 08/04/18 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one can control the weather, but the Aces chose to fly to D.C. just about as late as possible Thursday. Take a morning flight like everyone else does. Poor planning.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/04/18 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces started trying to get to DC the day before the game. The post below was posted on August 2 by pilight at 7:49 PM - Aces had already been waiting for 7 hours at the airport.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=94780&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

They also slept overnight at the airport and stated in their statement they had been traveling over 24 hours. So they can't be blamed for taking too late of a flight.

Also - even if authorized to get a charter it may not have been possible to get one willing to fly in bad weather and any available might have been in high demand.

As for not buying them a hotel room - the issue may have been the airlines doing their usual game of telling people - to stay at the gate or just not telling them anything.

Quote:

Also, reliability issues with commercial schedules...

https://twitter.com/kaymac_2123/status/1025179027424694277

Quote:
Going on hour 7 in the airport. Hoping we can get this resolved. Not trying to travel all night with a stop and have to play a big game tomorrow #SOS #CompetitiveDisadvantage #LAPhotobomb 😂

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/04/18 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But that's the whole point of most teams booking to leave earlier - things can go this wrong and you still have time for a little sleep and/or a shootaround before the game. It's another thing to throw on the list if you're Washington and you have to argue that you should be awarded the win rather than having to reschedule - we would've got there sooner, and played.

The charter thing's weird, because why would they have been granted permission unless someone saw it might be necessary and asked, intending to potentially use it as an option? Maybe they asked and then couldn't find one (wouldn't MGM have their own planes that might be available?), but still odd.

It's also all obviously complicated by there being so little time left in the season. If this happens in May then you've got lots of time to find a slot to reschedule, and to offer a little leniency to the team that pulled out. At this point I really think granting Washington the win is the most likely outcome.

PostPosted: 08/04/18 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sounds to me MGM got caught being cheap. A Non-Stop Commercial Flight should've been scheduled in advance from Las Vegas to BWI, DCA or to Philly with a bus or train ride to DC

MGM Resorts International calls itself being a 1st class organization, well the Aces weren't treated with 1st class treatment. It probably sounds harsh but it appears to me MGM Resort International are using the Las Vegas Aces as a stepping stone to acquire a NBA team.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/04/18 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to hear Borders put a positive spin on this if she issues a press release.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 08/04/18 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
It sounds to me MGM got caught being cheap. A Non-Stop Commercial Flight should've been scheduled in advance from Las Vegas to BWI, DCA or to Philly with a bus or train ride to DC

MGM Resorts International calls itself being a 1st class organization, well the Aces weren't treated with 1st class treatment. It probably sounds harsh but it appears to me MGM Resort International are using the Las Vegas Aces as a stepping stone to acquire a NBA team.

Not sure that's a valid criticism. The original flight the team scheduled was cancelled after an 8 hour delay. So they were re-routed through Dallas and things went downhill from there.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/04/18 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Not sure that's a valid criticism. The original flight the team scheduled was cancelled after an 8 hour delay. So they were re-routed through Dallas and things went downhill from there.

I wonder what MGM Resorts International would've done if one of their higher ups was sitting in a Las Vegas Airport all that time and had an important meeting to attend.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/04/18 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics-game-with-las-vegas-is-canceled-when-aces-refuse-to-play-after-travel-woes/2018/08/03/8622d4f2-974f-11e8-810c-5fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.b5f315018bc9

Quote:
The WNBA is reviewing the matter and won’t be making additional comment for at least 24 hours, according to a person familiar with the league’s thinking who spoke to The Washington Post on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the circumstances. It’s the first time in WNBA history that a game was canceled, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Feinberg?

So in 22 years, this is the first time players were inconvenienced because they didn’t sleep in beds instead of chairs?

Quote:
Because the league used the word “canceled” in its official release, it appears highly unlikely, people familiar with the situation said, that the game would be rescheduled. The Mystics almost certainly would protest a rescheduled game because not only were they prepared to play, but the Aces were in town, having landed at Reagan National Airport at about 2:20 p.m.

Quote:
“I’m really disappointed that the Las Vegas players and organization didn’t come to compete,” Washington Coach and General Manager Mike Thibault said. “Every team I’ve been around in the WNBA or the NBA or the old CBA goes through this. College teams go through it, and you have an obligation to the fans who paid money to come watch you play. If you’re there and in the city and can play, you should show up and play.”

Quote:
At first I was shocked, and then I didn’t believe it,” Mystics forward Monique Currie said. “I thought maybe they would come, but then when Coach came in and told us it was official, kind of still processing it and trying to figure out what it means for the league, where we’re going in the future and what type of situations and issues we have to deal with in this league.”

It’s a new era. Somebody will be filling a protest and supporting each other through social media every time a situation is less than perfect.

Quote:
“No shoot around. No night of sleep. No beds. No food,” Las Vegas guard Kayla McBride tweeted before the team’s flight took off from Dallas. “Right now we will land in DC at 245pm that has us going straight to the gym bc of traffic and bags . . . and you want us to play? Oh ok.”

There was no food, no water, no air to breathe. No sunlight to produce Vitamin D. We walked 5 miles through sand dunes to get to the airport. No wi-fi passwords. We felt like prisoners in shackles. We arrived nearly 6 hours before the game, and you expect us to play?

Quote:
The circumstances are hardly unique to Las Vegas. The Mystics this season arrived at their hotel for a game at Seattle at 3:30 a.m. and tipped off at 4 p.m. the same day.

Thibault also recounted the time as coach of the Connecticut Sun when, during a 2003 blackout, he and his players bused back to their arena from Cleveland, changed and arrived in New York less than an hour before tip-off.

Quote:
“This is a first for me, so I have not experienced that,” said Currie, a 12-year veteran in the WNBA. “I can’t be in [the Aces’] shoes, and I don’t know how they’re feeling. It’s been a long day for them; I do understand that. The competitor in me, I know that I would have played. But people have their feelings, and like I said, I can’t speak for them.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RP

PostPosted: 08/04/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics-game-with-las-vegas-is-canceled-when-aces-refuse-to-play-after-travel-woes/2018/08/03/8622d4f2-974f-11e8-810c-5fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.b5f315018bc9

Quote:
The circumstances are hardly unique to Las Vegas. The Mystics this season arrived at their hotel for a game at Seattle at 3:30 a.m. and tipped off at 4 p.m. the same day.

After a 4 p.m. tip at LA the prior day, as well.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/04/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how many times the Harlem Globetrotters in their history traveling the world ran into the same situation the Las Vegas Aces had in their mishap travel to Washington DC but the Harlem Globetrotters still performed.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/04/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This could have been avoided if LV mgmt had been more proactive and after obtaining that league permission, actually found a charter when the initial flight out of LV had been held up for the mechanical issues x 4 hrs, instead of waiting an additional 4 hrs, then scrambling with connections in Dallas which were delayed further due to weather. I'd bet they could have landed somewhere within a couple hrs of DC by 12MN ET.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/04/18 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So now official announcement from Borders about this? I guess not until Monday now?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/04/18 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
This could have been avoided if LV mgmt had been more proactive and after obtaining that league permission, actually found a charter when the initial flight out of LV had been held up for the mechanical issues x 4 hrs, instead of waiting an additional 4 hrs, then scrambling with connections in Dallas which were delayed further due to weather. I'd bet they could have landed somewhere within a couple hrs of DC by 12MN ET.

I've been saying all along the Las Vegas Aces Management wasn't proactive enough to aleve the mishaps the Las Vegas Aces' team had traveling to DC. This Aces forfeiture and fine should be on the Las Vegas Aces Management including Bill Laimbeer not the Players.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/04/18 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces waiting to hear WNBA decision on canceled game

https://apnews.com/c69ffcda43674cc88d60d1781e34750b/Aces-waiting-to-hear-WNBA-decision-on-canceled-game

Quote:
We requested the game be postponed and rescheduled and understood there may be consequences for this

PostPosted: 08/04/18 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aces waiting to hear WNBA decision on canceled game

https://apnews.com/c69ffcda43674cc88d60d1781e34750b/Aces-waiting-to-hear-WNBA-decision-on-canceled-game

Quote:
We requested the game be postponed and rescheduled and understood there may be consequences for this

The Las Vegas Aces Organization and Players still don't get it, Friday Night was not only a schedule game but It was also Breast Cancer Awareness night at the Cap One Arena in Washington, D.C.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: