RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sky @ Liberty - 7/15/18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigur3

PostPosted: 07/16/18 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I think it’s arguable that whatever Slooty’s deficiencies are (solid defender with help but subpar if you ask too much of her), they’re really showing up this year with Dolson being utterly inept at guarding the basket. There is no worse interior defensive team or help defensive team than Chicago in the league right now. It takes away from the physicality and smarts that Slooty can bring to playing D and highlights the poor lateral movement in an extended area. Factor in that Quigley can’t guard anyone, and you have a problem on your hands.

Yuuuuuuuurp.

If only we had a tall, rim-protecting center on the roster. Oh well.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/16/18 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
If the Libs were to win 7 more in a row and the 7, 8 teams stayed at .500 ball the Libs would STILL be a game out of 8th. Just for perspective’s sake. That’s not a projection. Though I do feel they’re going to play well the rest of the way. Not only do they have a lot of players who should be fairly fresh in a condensed season, but Boyd’s presence in the starting lineup ups the ante defensively.

Your loyalty is one of a kind.
Cool

You gotta understand. This year has been a whirlwind. But my loyalty hasn’t really changed based on thinking that they might do well or not well. The only thing I said was that I wasn’t sure I could make 5 more trips to Westchester at $43.50 round trip plus a 1:15 commute with up to a one hour wait for a train to see subpar efforts.

Give me effort and I’m all in, even if the team isn’t that good. I just know there’s no way that this team isn’t better than the 11th ranked defensive team with the .263 winning percentage that they were 2 games ago. I think I’ve maintained that all along. Now that we are seeing energy coming from everyone, including players who aren’t “energy” types, suddenly they know how to play better defense.

What a coincidence. Starting Boyd also sets a defensive tone we haven’t had. Maybe Stokes will be ready for starters’ minutes at some point this year as well.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree.

I think NY is on an upswing.

Starting Boyd and her improvement from the beginning of the season is a big reason. If Stokes starts to get back to her old self. And the roles are more defined NY will up its winning percentage.

But I also agree the playoffs will be hard to reach. Someone has to come down for NY to move up, and with the other current lottery team LV looking so much stronger it feel like two current playoff teams will need to fall to the lottery for NY to get out of it.

Atlanta is looking better of late. Dallas is improving.

It almost feels like the two teams that could falter are Minny and Conn, but they both simply have too much talent to fall off to the extent needed for us to climb out of the bottom 4.

We'll see, but the playoffs are a tall order still.

I would be OK with making it though, I don't see there being too much difference in pick 4 or 5 next season, so might as well go for it.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/17/18 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
But I also agree the playoffs will be hard to reach. Someone has to come down for NY to move up, and with the other current lottery team LV looking so much stronger it feel like two current playoff teams will need to fall to the lottery for NY to get out of it.

Someone will fall down. One or two of the teams that are now bunched up at 5-8 are bound to have a bad streak. I think it is very likely that one of these teams who are only 2-3 games over .500 will fall below .500 by the end of the season. Maybe even two of them will, but then again the Aces might be a factor, as J-Spoon said.

I feel that if the Liberty can get to .500 that they will make the playoffs, even though such a record would not qualify them right this moment. In order to finish .500, they have to go 11-4 the rest of the way, a .733 winning percentage. For perspective, the Storm lead the league with a .727 percentage. So in other words, for the Liberty to make it, they're going to have to basically be the best team in the NBA for the rest of the season.

I guess maybe 10-5 could put the Liberty in the playoffs as well, but then you're asking for a bigger collapse from one of the teams you need to pass than a routine downturn.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/17/18 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I’m not thinking playoffs right now. 4.5 GB with just 13 left is an enormous amount of ground to make up, and you’re talking about trying to catch two teams that were seeded top 4 last year. CT is very talented and Minnesota still has Maya and Fowles. With a team that’s won 7 games all year. There’s no doubt in my mind the Libs are improving, but when you’re saying 10-3 the rest of the way only gets you to .500...the playoffs would take a miracle. With how talented the league is and that 4-game road trip at the end of the year, going 8-5 the rest of the way would be a major step up from what we’ve seen.

My one hope to really finish strong is to have Stokes eventually able to play 20-25 minutes. Adding that defense, rebounding and speed down the court would complement the tempo Boyd gives you.

PostPosted: 07/27/18 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A7WfY-rcmck" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: