RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

McCaskill one of 3 hack targets of Russian GRU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/26/18 8:23 pm    ::: McCaskill one of 3 hack targets of Russian GRU Reply Reply with quote

The GOP voted to prevent money for state election security recently.

The GOP, via its Crosscheck program, is illegally removing names from voter rolls.

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/399095-russians-tried-to-hack-mccaskills-2018-campaign-report

[Daily Beast] reported that McCaskill, considered among the most vulnerable senators up for reelection, was one of three congressional candidates a Microsoft executive said last week had been targeted by hackers.

“Russia continues to engage in cyber warfare against our democracy,” McCaskill said in a statement. “I will continue to speak out and press to hold them accountable. While this attack was not successful, it is outrageous that they think they can get away with this. I will not be intimidated. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, Putin is a thug and a bully.”

PostPosted: 07/26/18 10:30 pm    ::: Re: McCaskill one of 3 hack targets of Russian GRU Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/399095-russians-tried-to-hack-mccaskills-2018-campaign-report

[Daily Beast] reported that McCaskill, considered among the most vulnerable senators up for reelection, was one of three congressional candidates a Microsoft executive said last week had been targeted by hackers.

“Russia continues to engage in cyber warfare against our democracy,” McCaskill said in a statement. “I will continue to speak out and press to hold them accountable. While this attack was not successful, it is outrageous that they think they can get away with this. I will not be intimidated. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, Putin is a thug and a bully.”

It's not clear to me why The Hill and the Daily Beast say the unsuccessful hack was by Russians. The Microsoft executive who caught the hacker is quoted in an article linked in The Hill article as follows:

Quote:
Burt did not specify if Microsoft believed the hackers were Russian. He did, however, say that analysts had reported fewer instances of Russian hacking attempts than in 2016.

“The consensus of the threat intelligence community right now is that we’re not seeing the same level of activity by the Russian activity groups,” he said. “We don’t see the activity of them trying to infiltrate think tanks and academia and in social networks to do the research that they do to build the phishing attacks.”

That aside, of course the Russians will continue to meddle in and try to affect elections in the U.S. and many other countries, just as they have been doing since the beginning of the Cold War more than 60 years ago. The U.S. has done similar things to affect other country's elections and leadership, including wars and assassination attempts.
Howee

PostPosted: 07/27/18 12:39 am    ::: Re: McCaskill one of 3 hack targets of Russian GRU Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
That aside, of course the Russians will continue to meddle in and try to affect elections in the U.S. and many other countries, just as they have been doing since the beginning of the Cold War more than 60 years ago. The U.S. has done similar things to affect other country's elections and leadership, including wars and assassination attempts.

I know this is true. But I keep pondering why people tack this on, as if it excuses what we know Russians did. Are we to just suck it up, cuz it's our turn to get 'hacked' and interfered with?

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/27/18 5:59 am    ::: Re: McCaskill one of 3 hack targets of Russian GRU Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I know this is true. But I keep pondering why people tack this on, as if it excuses what we know Russians did. Are we to just suck it up, cuz it's our turn to get 'hacked' and interfered with?

Hillary Haters will go to even this length in order to pretend the criminal in the white house was elected legitimately.

It's pretty bizarre.

PostPosted: 07/27/18 9:59 am    ::: Re: McCaskill one of 3 hack targets of Russian GRU Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Hillary Haters will go to even this length in order to pretend the criminal in the white house was elected legitimately.

It's pretty bizarre.

It’s also an extension of the Cold War.

We did that in large part because of the perceived threat of communism. Russia did as well. (For opposite reasons) Now Russia is doing it to Democratic powers...it’s a problem. Of course Russia and America shouldn’t have been playing chess with other countries. It was wrong to do it then, and it’s wrong to do it now. I would also argue, that another country messing with the United States will have significantly harsher global consequences, than a country messing with a small South American country.

Regardless, it’s such a crazy argument.

PostPosted: 07/27/18 10:57 am    ::: Re: McCaskill one of 3 hack targets of Russian GRU Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

It's pretty bizarre

Bingo!

Let's try to follow this logic in a consistent way:

A. America has interfered with foreign elections? Okay. Russia's interventions--all clearly favoring Trump, as Putin himself admitted he wanted Trump in office over his nemesis Hilary--should then be overlooked? But of course!

B. "Crooked Hilary" should be locked up, right? Okay. Now, compare anything she might have done that was remotely illegal or unethical, pre-2016. NONE OF IT COMPARES, in scope or degree, to the illegal, unethical things Fucktardo Don has done in the years before his candidacy. Yet....he certainly isn't encouraging anyone to give her a *pass*, based on any precedents of similar nefarious dealings.

C. Hilary is Evil. She opposed him and pointed out his flaws. Lock. Her. Up. Russia deliberately executed a program to undermine the very foundation of our democracy--proven, no longer just a suspicion or allegation. Yet this needn't be too big a concern, after all....the USA has done similar things. Right. Rolling Eyes "Consistency" be damned.

That (seemingly?) intelligent people CHOOSE TO excuse his rationale towards Russia's interference demonstrates the ubiquitous Blindness that Trumpettes adopt; it is a blight on our society.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: