RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

League Parity and the 1 and Done Playoff Format

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retav8or

PostPosted: 07/22/18 12:55 am    ::: League Parity and the 1 and Done Playoff Format Reply Reply with quote

We are going to miss out on what could have been some close, hard fought series.

Skol Vikings
State of Hockey
Los Lynx
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/22/18 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The W playoff format is mickey mouse.

PostPosted: 07/22/18 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hopefully a new CBA will change the format. First round should be best-of-3(1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc.) Semis & Finals remain best-of-5.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/22/18 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
hopefully a new CBA will change the format. First round should be best-of-3(1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc.) Semis & Finals remain best-of-5.

Won’t lie, I’ve actually really enjoyed the format. #Phoenixfan

PostPosted: 07/22/18 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When the Sparks are victims of the format they cried around for, they'll be the first with picket signs asking for series. Nobody else's voice was heard. Congrats Sparks, y'all delayed losing by one extra week Rolling Eyes Beard is way past her prime and twilight, so I think that ship has sunk.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/22/18 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playoffs if the season ended now.

#8 Connecticut vs. #5 Los Angeles
#7 Washington vs. #6 Dallas

#4 Minnesota
#3 Phoenix

#2 Atlanta
#1 Seattle

Dallas & LA advance setting up a LA vs. Minnesota in a one and done game which wouldn't make the league happy. Same with Dallas vs. Phoenix. Griner vs. Cambage would be better in a best-of-3 series at least.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/22/18 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

It was the League and Owners who changed it, and that's unlikely to be high up the list of priorities for the players. so I'm not sure why you think it's going to change in a new CBA.

PostPosted: 07/22/18 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It was the League and Owners who changed it, and that's unlikely to be high up the list of priorities for the players. so I'm not sure why you think it's going to change in a new CBA.

Yeah I don't see the players being too desperate to play a longer season for the same salary, nor do I see the owners wanting to host more games until fans actually start attending them.
I quite like the current format so I'm fine with it sticking around for now.

PostPosted: 07/22/18 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

They might need Player Association approval to reduce the number of playoff teams from 8 to 6.

PostPosted: 07/22/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see it staying at 8 teams, especially if expansion might be around the corner. Maybe the schedule could increase to 38 games with a significant pay raise?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/22/18 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong with having byes for the top teams, as it creates a greater incentive for the regular season. Under the old format, if a team wasn't scared of not having home-court advantage in any series, they could lose enough games to get the #5 pick in the draft and still make/win the WNBA Finals by playing the same number of rounds as the top seed(s). Similar to the 2015 Sparks, who lost tons of games without Parker, but might've made it all the way to the Finals or win the 2015 Title had the Lynx (beneficiaries of getting Fowles) not narrowly beat them in the first round in 3 games. Of course, the lowest seeded teams still could make it to the finals by winning two single-elimination road games to get to the semifinals, but that seems a bit more risky/tougher to me.
Perhaps the 2nd round should be best-of-3 instead of single-elimination though, but is there a way to do it and not create a huge wait for the top two seeds waiting though?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/22/18 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The length of the season is largely dictated by the calendar. I can't see the season being extended, so it would be very hard to play more games unless the playoffs are shortened.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/22/18 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eh, that's a tough sell, IMO, when they only play once every three days, on average (at least, during odd-numbered years).

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/23/18 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New format is a winner so far when it comes to viewers.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most of the fans that don't like the one and done format are fans of teams that had great success during the regular season but got bounced out the playoffs because they could not win their only playoff game.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Most of the fans that don't like the one and done format are fans of teams that had great success during the regular season but got bounced out the playoffs because they could not win their only playoff game.

Some of us who aren't fans of teams who got bounced still think it's rather unfair that the third-best team in the league over 4+ months can have their season ended in one game.

I still prefer the double-elimination system based on what they use in Aussie Rules, which would mean the top-four teams would have at least two games to attempt to win and survive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_final_eight_system

PostPosted: 07/23/18 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Bingo

PostPosted: 07/23/18 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Some of us who aren't fans of teams who got bounced still think it's rather unfair that the third-best team in the league over 4+ months can have their season ended in one game.

At the risk of "crossing the streams," where do you stand on March Madness?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/23/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Depends on exactly what you mean. As a spectator, I've always struggled to get into college sports. Without a rooting interest, and with the actual play often being pretty poor, I struggle to give a shit. When I watch, it's typically to try to see people who are going to be in the pros and judge how they'll translate - scouting, essentially. And having been brought up in Europe, where everything is a league or a cup or a tournament or part of a pyramid, the general randomness of college sports always put me off. There are a lot of games that are just played to be played, not as part of a league or tournament. And even if they're in a league, it's one of about 50 all being played alongside each other. Doesn't compute.

But I get the excitement of March Madness (to the general wide audience), and how it works as a culminating tournament for such a sprawling mass of teams (and such a gigantic country). But you pretty much have to accept from the start that you're not looking to decide 'the best team in the country'. You're just looking to find a winning team for this particular competition. In US Pro sports you play a long regular season (even in the W it's long compared to the playoffs), and it should mean something. We're looking to find the year's champions, and while it might not always be the best team from the entire year, the teams who've played well for much of it deserve something for that. I don't think #3 and #4 get quite enough under the current WNBA playoff system.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

maybe baseball should go 1 and done.

the world series might get as big as the SB. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/23/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Depends on exactly what you mean. As a spectator, I've always struggled to get into college sports. Without a rooting interest, and with the actual play often being pretty poor, I struggle to give a shit. When I watch, it's typically to try to see people who are going to be in the pros and judge how they'll translate - scouting, essentially. And having been brought up in Europe, where everything is a league or a cup or a tournament or part of a pyramid, the general randomness of college sports always put me off. There are a lot of games that are just played to be played, not as part of a league or tournament. And even if they're in a league, it's one of about 50 all being played alongside each other. Doesn't compute.

But I get the excitement of March Madness (to the general wide audience), and how it works as a culminating tournament for such a sprawling mass of teams (and such a gigantic country). But you pretty much have to accept from the start that you're not looking to decide 'the best team in the country'. You're just looking to find a winning team for this particular competition. In US Pro sports you play a long regular season (even in the W it's long compared to the playoffs), and it should mean something. We're looking to find the year's champions, and while it might not always be the best team from the entire year, the teams who've played well for much of it deserve something for that. I don't think #3 and #4 get quite enough under the current WNBA playoff system.

With your long detailed explanation I now understand why you don't like the one and done format. I agree with you that those teams do deserve more time to win. The WNBA season is short for many reasons so an extended playoff format might not work. If the league were to allow only six teams in the playoffs instead of eight then the one and done format can be eliminated. Every team in the playoffs can have their multiple game playoff series.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I still prefer the double-elimination system based on what they use in Aussie Rules, which would mean the top-four teams would have at least two games to attempt to win and survive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_final_eight_system

I kinda like the double elimination format as well. But I'm also fine with the system as it is. If you're third overall but you can't get up for an elimination game against a lower seed, then it's just tough luck. And it makes it way more important to try to get a #1 or #2 seed. That prevents some of the 'coasting' that we've sometimes seen toward the end of the season.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: