RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

THE HEAT INDEX: Is the WNBA surging?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/20/18 10:00 am    ::: THE HEAT INDEX: Is the WNBA surging? Reply Reply with quote

From the [Claremore, Oklahoma] Daily Progress...

http://www.claremoreprogress.com/sports/the-heat-index-is-the-wnba-surging/article_af4791cc-86bc-11e8-aae3-4fb047bebd32.html

Quote:
But the WNBA may have the last laugh. The women are getting better. More athletic. And they are gaining momentum. While the WNBA will never draw like the NBA, it can at least grow and survive. The numbers show there is an audience for the game. It will be interesting to see if the numbers keep climbing

PostPosted: 07/20/18 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"That is a huge leap."

Unfortunately, 2017 was a record low for ESPN ratings. For whatever reason, WNBA ESPN ratings fluctuate, so it is too early to draw conclusions from a bounce from the lowest point.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/20/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
"That is a huge leap."

Unfortunately, 2017 was a record low for ESPN ratings. For whatever reason, WNBA ESPN ratings fluctuate, so it is too early to draw conclusions from a bounce from the lowest point.

Putting aside 2017's numbers, this is still good news:

In one game alone, when the Los Angeles Sparks played the Seattle Storm, 378,000 people tuned in. That was the most watched game since 2011.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/20/18 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And, Liberty aside, which has dampened my enthusiasm for watching a variety of out of town games...the games have never been more entertaining in my eyes. The stats don't really indicate an offensive explosion in relation to the last two seasons, which is interesting. However, what's undeniable is that there is a parity throughout the league that we haven't seen...probably ever. No absolutely dominant teams at the top...but teams loaded with talent battling for all the spots in the top 6. On any given night you have a reason to watch. Sometimes talent surges haven't corresponded to ratings upgrades but it's good to see that here. Maybe part of it is that there are 8 really good teams in the league. CT is 12-11 right now. In two weeks they could be in third place. From that standpoint, a lot of teams' fans have reasons to watch.

PostPosted: 07/20/18 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Betteridge's Law leaps to mind

PostPosted: 07/20/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have a legit 9 solid, strong, entertaining teams(I'm including Vegas). The past few seasons it's been 3-4 teams. Probably the most entertaining season since 2013.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Fishhappy

PostPosted: 07/20/18 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
And, Liberty aside, which has dampened my enthusiasm for watching a variety of out of town games...the games have never been more entertaining in my eyes. The stats don't really indicate an offensive explosion in relation to the last two seasons, which is interesting. However, what's undeniable is that there is a parity throughout the league that we haven't seen...probably ever. No absolutely dominant teams at the top...but teams loaded with talent battling for all the spots in the top 6. On any given night you have a reason to watch. Sometimes talent surges haven't corresponded to ratings upgrades but it's good to see that here. Maybe part of it is that there are 8 really good teams in the league. CT is 12-11 right now. In two weeks they could be in third place. From that standpoint, a lot of teams' fans have reasons to watch.

Make that 9 really good teams. I just finished watching the Aces at the Mercury and it wasn't a fluke. Tarausi had 30+ Griner had only her usual minor foul trouble and the aces didn't have some one go off with 6 three's or something they just out played the Mercury. there is a very good chance that the aces , after a very slow start to the season, will grind out a spot in the play offs. the question is who of the other 8 really good teams will fall out of the playoffs. It could come down to an injury to a Key player on any of the 8 to drop from contention for a championship to out of the playoffs.
God this league is fun to watch this year

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/21/18 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fishhappy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Make that 9 really good teams. I just finished watching the Aces at the Mercury and it wasn't a fluke. Tarausi had 30+ Griner had only her usual minor foul trouble and the aces didn't have some one go off with 6 three's or something they just out played the Mercury. there is a very good chance that the aces , after a very slow start to the season, will grind out a spot in the play offs. the question is who of the other 8 really good teams will fall out of the playoffs. It could come down to an injury to a Key player on any of the 8 to drop from contention for a championship to out of the playoffs.
God this league is fun to watch this year

Good point. You’re absolutely right. Vegas’ slow start occurred when they were missing a bunch of players. Now they’re almost at full strength (Moriah still working her way back) and playing very well. And an entertaining brand of ball at that.

PostPosted: 07/21/18 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Chicago Sky also have a very talented roster.They're just poorly coached.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: