Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/25/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/news/usa-basketball-training-camp-report-day-1-seattle/

Quote:
“You don’t get cut. It’s a numbers game,” Taurasi said. “You only get 12, and you have to put the 12 that work together the best. Sometimes it’s not the 12 best players in the world, but it’s the 12 that work together the best and make each other a great team. That’s always the hardest job. One of the hardest jobs that the coaches and committee have is nailing it down to 12 compatible players, and they’ve always seemed to do a pretty good job of doing that.”

Seems to be repeating the same speech as Bird gave last year.

They’re cutting the squad down to 12 for the exhibition game. I take it if you’re cut from this squad (more cuts to be made as the heavy hitters return), then you have no hope for the 2018 Games.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/25/18 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:
You don’t get cut. It’s a numbers game,” Taurasi said. “You only get 12, and you have to put the 12 that work together the best. Sometimes it’s not the 12 best players in the world, but it’s the 12 that work together the best and make each other a great team. That’s always the hardest job. One of the hardest jobs that the coaches and committee have is nailing it down to 12 compatible players, and they’ve always seemed to do a pretty good job of doing that.

They’re cutting the squad down to 12 for the exhibition game. I take it if you’re cut from this squad (more cuts to be made as the heavy hitters return), then you have no hope for the 2018 Games.

Seems like a Jab being thrown at CP . After hearing the influence she played in 2016's travesty im not surprised.

PostPosted: 04/25/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:
You don’t get cut. It’s a numbers game,” Taurasi said. “You only get 12, and you have to put the 12 that work together the best. Sometimes it’s not the 12 best players in the world, but it’s the 12 that work together the best and make each other a great team. That’s always the hardest job. One of the hardest jobs that the coaches and committee have is nailing it down to 12 compatible players, and they’ve always seemed to do a pretty good job of doing that.

Seems like a Jab being thrown at CP . After hearing the influence she played in 2016's travesty im not surprised.

They always give this speech.. Nothing to do with Parker and everything to do with the fact that USA can field 3 or 4 teams if they want

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/25/18 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/04/usa-wnt-roster-vs-chn.aspx

13 players for the exhibition. No Collier, Gray, T. Mitchell, Sykes, Tuck, or Wiese. Where's the fun if nobody can be accused of bias?

This might also be a good chance to scout Li Yueru, who I believe is part of this China squad.

USA Basketball has it online via their website, Facebook, and YouTube.
Shades

PostPosted: 04/26/18 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Basketball continues search for Sue Bird's successor

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/23316354/usa-basketball-continues-search-sue-bird-successor

Quote:
Two-time WNBA All-Star and Dallas Wings guard Skylar Diggins-Smith, 27, looks like the most likely candidate to back up Bird at this fall's FIBA World Cup in Spain. Layshia Clarendon of the Atlanta Dream, a first-time All-Star last year, Indiana Fever rookie Kelsey Mitchell and second-year pro Sydney Wiese of the Los Angeles Sparks are also among the 19 players in attendance

Quote:
Ultimately, the USA's next starting point guard might be a younger player -- perhaps Oregon's Sabrina Ionescu -- who emerges in time.

That was my proposal.

Quote:
"There might be a 19-year-old who in three years is the best player in the world," said Diana Taurasi, the other player on the U.S. roster with four gold medals. "You never know these things."

Ionescu is 20 yrs old. Was 19 about 6 months ago. Chennedy Carter is 19 though (and eligible for an early draft entry).

Quote:
"Do I want to play in the [2020] Olympics? Yeah," Bird said. "If I'm able and willing, absolutely I want to play in the Olympics. But I'm not going to sit here and put myself on that team. That's not fair to me. That's not fair to USA Basketball, the other players competing for a spot."

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/26/18 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:
"Do I want to play in the [2020] Olympics? Yeah," Bird said. "If I'm able and willing, absolutely I want to play in the Olympics. But I'm not going to sit here and put myself on that team. That's not fair to me. That's not fair to USA Basketball, the other players competing for a spot."

Since Callan basically said she'd be on the team as long as she wants to be, this is pretty much bs. She will in fact put herself on the team. And actually I don't have too much problem with that if she continues to play at a high level, especially since Whalen took herself out of the picture. I did have a problem with both of them continuing to be on the team.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 06/04/18 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel McCoughtry has switched from Nike to Adidas, which suggests she might be left off of the team.

PostPosted: 06/04/18 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Angel McCoughtry has switched from Nike to Adidas, which suggests she might be left off of the team.

Wow if true would it not look shady to keep DT and Sue now? Mccoughtry came after both , and if i hear anything about "Loyalty" im going to call bullshit ask CP.

PostPosted: 07/18/18 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pre-tournament schedule is announced and Jasmine Thomas has been added:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/07/wnt-fall-schedule.aspx
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/18/18 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK so here is my most recent (for lack of a better word) prediction.

Bird/C. Gray
Taurasi/Diggins-Smith/Loyd
Moore/EDD
Stewart/Charles/Wilson
Griner/Fowles

McCoughtry and Augustus don't get the loyalty treatment, the Ogwumike's get past over for Wilson (Something about building towards 2024 or some such explanation not becuase Staley was her coach at SC, luckily A'ja is killing it in the W) and Charles (who does get the loyalty treatment) and the last guard spot is a tough competition between Loyd, McBride, and surprisingly K. Mitchell, Durr and Plum, but Loyd grabs it in the end beating out McBride by a hair.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/18/18 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Bird/C. Gray
Moore/EDD
Stewart/Charles/Wilson
Griner/Fowles

McCoughtry and Augustus don't get the loyalty treatment, the Ogwumike's get past over for Wilson (Something about building towards 2024 or some such explanation not becuase Staley was her coach at SC, luckily A'ja is killing it in the W) and Charles (who does get the loyalty treatment) and the last guard spot is a tough competition between Loyd, McBride, and surprisingly K. Mitchell, Durr and Plum, but Loyd grabs it in the end beating out McBride by a hair.

Oh please, Nneka had one okay season and everyone wet their chonies over it.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/18/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Bird/C. Gray
Moore/EDD
Stewart/Charles/Wilson
Griner/Fowles

Oh please, Nneka had one okay season and everyone wet their chonies over it.

I don't think it rates an Oh Please, if and when Nneka doesn't make the team everyone will say "she was robbed", and Wilson and Charles even though they are great will get the "only made it because of loyalty or nepotism" shade. (If it plays out that way).

pilight

PostPosted: 08/09/18 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel McCoughtry's injury opens up a spot for someone

PostPosted: 08/09/18 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Delle Donne can back up Maya, loosening up that crowded PF slot (+Wilson).

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/10/18 4:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Delle Donne can back up Maya, loosening up that crowded PF slot (+Wilson).

Yeah i expect EDD and Stewie to play some minutes at the SF spot. But i think Hayes has a better chance of getting on the team aswell.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/10/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson was going to be added to this team all along regardless of the injury though i believe. Dawn is the HC so of course she's going to bring in the greatest Gamecock of all time. Her personal favorite.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Catchings being gone opened up a spot that always had a chance of going to Wilson (and Nneka not having the greatest season of her life might've kept the whining about Wilson getting in over her down to a dull roar). McCoughtry being out opens up another spot, along with Whalen and quite possibly Augustus dropping out (from the squad for the 2016 Olympics).

So Diggins-Smith, probably. Possibly Wilson. Maybe Nneka as well, with EDD playing more 3 to make room (although that still leaves the post pretty damn crowded). And then pick your favourite new perimeter option. Loyd, McBride, C.Gray, Hayes, J.Thomas, Sims...

What's left of the Olympic squad currently looks something like:

Bird
Taurasi
Moore/EDD
Stewart/Charles
Griner/Fowles

PostPosted: 08/10/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Forgetting the part where the player has to be total team, can read plays and shoot long from FIBA distance. Wink And I agree with Ricchy that the post is well filled.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/10/18 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe players with statues get an automatic bid.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/11/18 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've got (for now)

Bird/C. Gray
Taurasi/Diggins-Smith/?
Moore/EDD
Stewart/Charles/Wilson
Griner/Fowles

? is likely Loyd but if Augustus continues to go to camp and is healthy Loyd might have to wait until 2020

? could also be McBride, K. Mitchell, Sims but I still give Loyd the edge, and wouldn't be too surprised if Plum or Jefferson got back into the conversation, I don't think they will get back to the top of the list but Plum's new PG look could change some minds, and Jefferson may have been in the possible PG of the future pipeline before she got injured.

Come 2020 depending on how they play maybe Ionescu or Durr are in the mix, maybe Diamond works her way back into the conversation, but I think once the new guard blood moves in it will still be a little bit of a waiting game, but both Durr and I believe Ionescu have been invited to recent camps I wonder if Carter starts to make camp appearance in the year after Worlds but before the Olympics?

Shades

PostPosted: 08/11/18 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spooner, check out my analysis from 11 months ago (before Whalen retired from USAB). Not too far off.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92418&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=92

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/11/18 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Spooner, check out my analysis from 11 months ago (before Whalen retired from USAB). Not too far off.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92418&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=92

Yeah I pretty much agree

A year later Diggins-Smith and C. Gray seem to have claimed their spots and Whalen and McCoughtry being out of the mix have opened the door for both to be added.

A year ago I thought N. Ogwumike was a certain addition, But I also thought Wilson was also going to get the new blood spot. I like Nneka but I don't think she has made her position a certainty, add that to Wilson having an amazing year and Wilson looks safe. The one variable is Charles and even though the Liberty have stunk Charles has been consistent and top tier as usual, combined with being an alumni and still near her prime I think Charles is safe and Ogwumike is on the outside looking in.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/01/18 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if this is an oversight or is Maya taking the World Cup off? Shocked

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2018/9/1/womens-basketball-eight-huskies-invited-to-usa-national-team-training-camp.aspx

Quote:
Joining Collier are former Huskies Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Stefanie Dolson, Tiffany Hayes, Breanna Stewart, Diana Taurasi and Morgan Tuck.

Bird, Hayes, Stewart and Taurasi are currently competing in the WNBA playoffs and may join the team following the conclusion of their seasons. Charles, Collier, Dolson and Tuck have confirmed their participation in the USA training camp.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/01/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wnt-training-roster-usc.aspx

No Diggins or C Gray or J Thomas are at camp or mentioned as possibilities. Apparently Ionescu or Plum will be the backup PG. Maya Moore and Sylvia Fowles also conspicuously absent.

PostPosted: 09/01/18 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wnt-training-roster-usc.aspx

Quote:
In addition to Charles, Allisha Gray, Tyasha Harris, Tiffany Mitchell, Nneka Ogwumike, Sims and Wilson, athletes who have confirmed their participation in the USA training camp include: Layshia Clarendon (Connecticut Sun); Napheesa Collier (University of Connecticut); Diamond DeShields (Chicago Sky); Stefanie Dolson (Chicago Sky); Ruthy Hebard (University of Oregon); Sabrina Ionescu (University of Oregon); Kelsey Mitchell (Indiana Fever); Arike Ogunbowale (University of Notre Dame); Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces); Jessica Shepard (University of Notre Dame); and Morgan Tuck (Connecticut Sun).

Quote:
Members of the USA National Team pool who are participating in the 2018 WNBA playoffs will not be available for the beginning of the camp, but may be added at a later date. Those athletes include: Sue Bird (Seattle Storm); Elena Delle Donne (Washington Mystics); Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury); Tiffany Hayes (Atlanta Dream); Jewell Loyd (Seattle Storm); Breanna Stewart (Seattle Storm); Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury); and Elizabeth Williams (Atlanta Dream).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 13 of 23

Jump to: