63%  [ 12 ]
Lynx 😾
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 19

canadaball

PostPosted: 07/16/18 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Augustus was -25 in 23 minutes ... an impressive showing.

Of course, the tanking theory -- though entertaining -- doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Cheryl Reeve in the locker room: "OK guys, we're losing today so we can hope to get a decent young player next year to replace one of you."

What makes more sense is that the Lynx, especially without Brunson, are about as good as their record shows. I think they are somewhat better than that record when they dial in, but I don't think they can do that as consistently as in the past.

I still wouldn't want to see them in the playoffs, but it's hard to envision them playing well enough to win a five-game series, or not stumbling before they got there.

Minnesota's failures this year are a case of simple arithmetic. Subtract Howard, Pierson, Montgomery, and Perkins....Add Drob, Fagbenie, Wright, Miyem, and Zand. Also tack an extra year on several old legs, and throw in an injury to Brunson.

zune69

PostPosted: 07/16/18 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Resting Maya/Sylvia for some of the remaining games ,missing the playoffs and getting a lottery pick wouldn't be a bad idea.I mean...based on Minnesota's history.They're not going to win the Championship this season anyway.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/16/18 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Resting Maya/Sylvia for some of the remaining games ,missing the playoffs and getting a lottery pick wouldn't be a bad idea.

It’s not a bad idea.... it’s a terrible idea.... to a highly competitive fan like me. Methinks a Dallas fan feels threatened by the thought of the Lynx in the playoffs, especially considering they swept all the games against Dallas.

It’s not in Maya’s DNA to tank. To ask her to cooperate with something like that would be like asking her not to re-sign in 2019. She would not like that at all. You must not know Maya. She’s all about integrity and doing things right. I’m fairly sure Reeve operates the same way, or at least I hope so.

zune69 wrote:
I mean...based on Minnesota's history. They're not going to win the Championship this season anyway.

Never mind the funny water bottle placements and deliberate losing of jump balls. Reeve and I aren’t superstitious like that. They can win in an even year. Anyway, there’s nothing worth tanking for in this draft.... beautiful post and forward depth throughout the first round. In fact, the player I think would be perfect for the Lynx isn’t even on most people’s first round radar.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/16/18 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It’s not a bad idea.... it’s a terrible idea.... to a highly competitive fan like me. Methinks a Dallas fan feels threatened by the thought of the Lynx in the playoffs, especially considering they swept all the games against Dallas.

It’s not in Maya’s DNA to tank. To ask her to cooperate with something like that would be like asking her not to re-sign in 2019. She would not like that at all. You must not know Maya. She’s all about integrity and doing things right. I’m fairly sure Reeve operates the same way, or at least I hope so.

I have no idea why the only thing Maya Moore is good at this year (except for a two-week stretch) is missing shots so the Lynx lose games then? Is Reeve a terrible coach who is holding Maya back? Or is that part of the Lynx's plan for tanking? I thought Maya Moore was going to be the MVP this year, not the 20th best player? Or is everybody saying the Lynx are old because Maya Moore isn't actually 29 years old, but 49 years old, which explains her sudden decline?

Quote:
Never mind the funny water bottle placements and deliberate losing of jump balls. Reeve and I aren’t superstitious like that. They can win in an even year. Anyway, there’s nothing worth tanking for in this draft.... beautiful post and forward depth throughout the first round. In fact, the player I think would be perfect for the Lynx isn’t even on most people’s first round radar.

If Reeve is as superstitious as I am, maybe signing Tanisha Wright was her number one priority because of my proven New York Liberty Curse (or maybe not, if I'm probably the only person who knows about it), in which the WNBA Champion is almost always a team that acquires a former New York Liberty player (preferably if the Liberty were her last team). Unfortunately, the Seattle Storm picked up former New York Liberty player Mercedes Russell, which may cancel that out (unless you have to actually be a rotational player, and be on the Liberty for more than just a few days). But then, why would Reeve risk there being a Natasha Howard Curse, which states that whatever team has Natasha Howard shall make the WNBA Finals every year, and whatever team trades her shall turn into a .500 team and then be forced to spend the next several years in the abyss of rebuilding? And if there is nobody worth tanking for in this draft, why didn't Reeve ask for something else instead of a "meaningless" pick swap?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/16/18 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Resting Maya/Sylvia for some of the remaining games ,missing the playoffs and getting a lottery pick wouldn't be a bad idea.I mean...based on Minnesota's history.They're not going to win the Championship this season anyway.

Their 2 year record would hurt their chances but in next yrs draft picks 4-7 could be just as good as 1-3 imo.

**In no particular order***

1.T. McCowan
2.S. Ionescu*
3.K. Brown
4.N. Collier
5.A. Durr
6.A. Ogumbawale
7.KLS
8.K.Anigwe
9.B. Turner
10. M. Gustaffson
11.E. Magbegor
12.K. Latska
13.J.Shephard
14. S. Cunningham
15. Calyia Robinson
16.M.Mabrey
17.A. Jennings
18.A. Howard

Every team is for certain to end up with a good player in the 1st rd. This is a very deep class and makes 2018 look like a school girl choir. This could be a change of generations type draft!

PostPosted: 07/17/18 4:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Hmm i dont know about that. Its all about matchups. They can beat anyone in 1 playoffgame and if they get into a series against the Mercury, Wings, Sparks (maybe even Storm) then i can see them winning that aswell if Maya and Fowles are on top of their games.

Any team that is going to tank when they have Maya and Fowles in their primes should be embarrassed of themselves Shocked

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/17/18 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Any team that is going to tank when they have Maya and Fowles in their primes should be embarrassed of themselves Shocked

The Lynx are so great at tanking, they actually lose games while playing Maya & Fowles instead of sitting them for rest or dental procedures. 😵 To lose games, why not have Maya & Fowles miss as many shots as possible and turn the ball over? (Along with making sure everybody else on the team sucks, except maybe one random player, like how Whalen randomly had a good game against the Aces, but everybody else sucked). Though I'm not a fan of the idea of ruining Maya's career/season stats by turning her from preseason MVP favorite to mediocre role player who can't shoot.

“I’ve said this before, this is a group that’s done a lot together, that’s done an awful lot together,” said Reeve. “It gets harder and harder to be them, and I think we’re seeing that. I think in some cases they’re giving everything they have. What’s in their tank, they’re giving everything they have. Obviously right now, in the last couple games, that’s not good enough.

I know what Reeve is probably saying, but if the Lynx aren't tanking, I'd be careful not to say something that a conspiracy theorist like me will interpret as the Lynx are giving everything they have for this tank job, and losing the last two games aren't enough losses for it.

zune69

PostPosted: 07/17/18 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@ shades,

In no way,I'm I threatened by the Lynx.Just for the record.Cambage was dominating the previous Lynx/Wings game (14p/5r/6-11 fg in 15 minutes) before Fowles “accidentally” elbowed her in the face/eye.Minnesota sweeping Dallas means nothing.I put an asterisk next to all 3 games:

Gm 1-Johnson/Powers DNP.
Gm 2-Johnson/Powers had just come back from injury.
Gm 3-Fowles knocked Cambage out of the game.

The way you’ve been going in on Liz as of late makes me think you’re a little intimidated by a possible playoff matchup with the young Wings.

@ WNBA 09,

I agree,the top 6 or 7 players could end up being All-Star caliber players for 10-12 years….Team,system,and Coaching staff will also play a role in how much of their potential becomes actualized.

@ Michelle89,

I’m not saying Minnesota should tank.Just give Maya/Sylvia some rest.Maya IMO looks very sluggish at times.She doesn’t play with the same vim and vigor.Maya has a history,prior to changing her diet,of having soreness/pain in her knees.I believe the heavy load Maya had to carry while playing in China took a toll on her body...Getting the young players some more experience would be very beneficial to the Lynx in the short(playoffs),and long-term.

You’re right,the Lynx can beat any team in a one game series.But the lack of rest between games(If they don't get a top 4 seed) could impact the effectiveness of Whalen,Augustus and Brunson.

Last edited by zune69 on 07/17/18 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/17/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Their 2 year record would hurt their chances but in next yrs draft picks 4-7 could be just as good as 1-3 imo.

**In no particular order***

1.T. McCowan
2.S. Ionescu*
3.K. Brown
4.N. Collier
5.A. Durr
6.A. Ogumbawale
7.KLS
8.K.Anigwe
9.B. Turner
10. M. Gustaffson
11.E. Magbegor
12.K. Latska
13.J.Shephard
14. S. Cunningham
15. Calyia Robinson
16.M.Mabrey
17.A. Jennings
18.A. Howard

Every team is for certain to end up with a good player in the 1st rd. This is a very deep class and makes 2018 look like a school girl choir. This could be a change of generations type draft!

Though I think this is a very good draft, I don't think every first-rounder will turn into a WNBA starter. Most likely, six of the top seven (I think either McCowan or Brown are the most likely to disappoint) are eventual starters and it's possible as many three are elite.

And of course there are injuries to contend with.

A deeper draft than usual, no doubt, but I'm not buying that picks 11 and 12 are going to be impact players, immediately or otherwise.

PostPosted: 07/17/18 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Though I think this is a very good draft, I don't think every first-rounder will turn into a WNBA starter. Most likely, six of the top seven (I think either McCowan or Brown are the most likely to disappoint) are eventual starters and it's possible as many three are elite.

Yeah,2-3 elite,5-6 All-Star caliber....I can see McCowen being the one disappointment.

Last edited by zune69 on 07/17/18 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 07/17/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

The way you’ve been going in on Liz as of late makes me think you’re a little intimidated by a possible playoff matchup with the young Wings.

You mean accurately reporting what Cambage is doing and saying she needs to clean it up? Yeah, it’s a matter of knowing the difference between right and wrong. I guess that’s lost on you since Cambage is on the Wings.

Let’s not forget who has long campaigned for Cambage to be on the Wings, that she shouldn’t be cut or traded. I knew what a difference-maker she’d be for the club, while you got all teary-eyed about your Courtney Paris and how I was insulting her. That doesn’t mean I’m going to now going quietly sit on the sideline like yourself and not point out that Cambage needs to clean her act up. She’s up to 6 techs now. Let’s just stick our heads in the sand, ignore her behavior and see how missing games affects the Wings. Brilliant.

And accusing Fowles of intentionally hurting people when you know you don’t have the receipts is really going down the sewer hole.

zune69 wrote:
I’m not saying Minnesota should tank.

Forgetful?

zune69 wrote:
missing the playoffs and getting a lottery pick wouldn't be a bad idea.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/17/18 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's plenty receipts of Fowles hurting people Laughing Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Arrow Arrow Arrow

PostPosted: 07/17/18 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Let’s not forget who has long campaigned for Cambage to be on the Wings, that she shouldn’t be cut or traded. I knew what a difference-maker she’d be for the club, while you got all teary-eyed about your Courtney Paris and how I was insulting her. That doesn’t mean I’m going to now going quietly sit on the sideline like yourself and not point out that Cambage needs to clean her act up. She’s up to 6 techs now. Let’s just stick our heads in the sand, ignore her behavior and see how missing games affects the Wings. Brilliant.

Most sane people on this board knew Cambage was a difference maker,including myself....And Who was crying about Courtney?....I’ve always stated that Cambage would/should be the starter and Courtney would be the backup.I've been more critical of Courtney than any person on this board....Just because you don’t like Courtney as a player doesn’t mean you should make disparaging remarks about her.

Shades wrote:
Forgetful?

I never said Minnesota should tank…”Resting Maya/Sylvia for some of the remaining games ,missing the playoffs and getting a lottery pick wouldn't be a bad idea”...was my exact quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
There's plenty receipts of Fowles hurting people Laughing Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Arrow Arrow Arrow

Exactly...when Fowles/Whalen play dirty,shades is usually silent/or comes to their defense.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/17/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Yeah,2-3 elite,6-7 All-Star caliber....I can see McCowen being the one disappointment.

I do not see 6 or 7 all-star caliber players in the next draft. Maybe two or three, of course depending on how deep all-star rosters go. At 24 out of 180 (13.3%), maybe the odds are better than I think.

PostPosted: 07/17/18 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

And who was crying about Courtney?

You.

zune69 wrote:
I've been more critical of Courtney than any person on this board....Just because you don’t like Courtney as a player doesn’t mean you should make disparaging remarks about her.

See how twisted your arguments are? You say you criticize Paris more than anybody, but if somebody else criticizes her, you consider it a "disparaging remark". I guess you think you should be the only one criticizing Paris. Are you Bubba Paris or what?

zune69 wrote:
I never said Minnesota should tank…”Resting Maya/Sylvia for some of the remaining games ,missing the playoffs and getting a lottery pick wouldn't be a bad idea”...was my exact quote

Who are you kidding? The idea of missing the playoffs to get a lottery pick is the definition of tanking.

zune69 wrote:
Exactly...when Fowles/Whalen play dirty, shades is usually silent/or comes to their defense.

Fowles isn't out there playing angry like Cambage. Cambage has an anger problem. She needs to manage it, like she did well today. Fowles doesn't have 6 technical fouls. She doesn't even have 2.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/17/18 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Yeah,2-3 elite,6-7 All-Star caliber....I can see McCowen being the one disappointment.

It's funny that you just made an assertion that it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Lynx to miss the playoffs, and then you unwittingly argue against that statement by pointing out just how many great prospects there are in next year's draft.... 10 at or above All Star level? That just about covers the whole first round. Then you point out that one of the lottery picks, McCowan, could be a disappointment. A team should tank a possible championship season for a chance at a disappointment? Not smart at all.

Just admit you'd rather not see the Lynx in the playoffs because they swept Dallas during the regular season, and stop with the snowballing nonsense.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/17/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

It's funny that you just made an assertion that it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Lynx to miss the playoffs, and then you unwittingly argue against that statement by pointing out just how many great prospects there are in next year's draft.... 10 at or above All Star level? That just about covers the whole first round. Then you point out that one of the lottery picks, McCowan, could be a disappointment. A team should tank a possible championship season for a chance at a disappointment? Not smart at all.

Just admit you'd rather not see the Lynx in the playoffs because they swept Dallas during the regular season, and stop with the snowballing nonsense.

I dont think wings fans are as worried about the lynx as you are . If we see them in the playoffs i like our chances. Especially in a series.

PostPosted: 07/17/18 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
See how twisted your arguments are? You say you criticize Paris more than anybody, but if somebody else criticizes her, you consider it a "disparaging remark". I guess you think you should be the only one criticizing Paris. Are you Bubba Paris or what?

Being “Critical” is very different from being “Disparaging”

Shades wrote:
Who are you kidding? The idea of missing the playoffs to get a lottery pick is the definition of tanking.

Shades wrote:
Fowles isn't out there playing angry like Cambage. Cambage has an anger problem. She needs to manage it, like she did well today. Fowles doesn't have 6 technical fouls. She doesn't even have 2.

Fowles & Cambage have both injured players from overly aggressive play.Don't be overly critical of one,and let the other off the hook.I understand Liz needs to cut down on the technical fouls.But if the officials didn't let the opposition get away with so much contact.Liz wouldn't feel the need to verbally lash out.

Shades wrote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

*The 5-6 All-star caliber players include the 2-3 elite ones(5-6 AS is what I meant to say)

*McCowen's speed,lateral quickness,and offensive game are very questionable.

* Let's be honest shades.Even you have your doubts about the current Lynx roster.

*I don't fear any team..We have the best player the league at two different positions(Cambage/Diggins).If we continue to get contributions from the role players.We'll have a legit shot at winning the Championship.

Last edited by zune69 on 07/17/18 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/17/18 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Shades wrote:

Shades wrote:

Fowles & Cambage have both injured players from overly aggressive play.Don't be overly critical of one,and let the other off the hook.I understand Liz needs to cut down on the technical fouls.But if the officials didn't let the opposition get away with so much contact.Liz wouldn't feel the need to verbally lash out.

Shades wrote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

*The 5-6 All-star players include the 2-3 elite ones(5-6 AS is what I meant to say)

*McCowen's speed,lateral quickness,and offensive game are very questionable.

* Let's be honest shades.Even you have your doubts about the current Lynx roster.

*I don't fear any team..We have the best player the league at two different positions(Cambage/Diggins).If we continue to get contributions from the role players.We'll have a legit shot at winning the Championship.

You better speak it !!! #Preaccchhh

PostPosted: 07/17/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:

This is where you should give an example, but you can't. You'd just rather make false accusations.

I thought Clay got down you for saying Paris needed to lose weight. He probably felt you were the disparaging one. I believe I didn't say anything more than stating she wasn't a championship level starting center, a good backup center. Is that what you consider disparaging? You're obviously just deflecting.

zune69 wrote:

Fowles & Cambage have both injured players from overly aggressive play.Don't be overly critical of one,and let the other off the hook.

Well. intent is important..... which points to Cambage's 6 technical fouls. She's got an anger management problem.

zune69 wrote:
I understand Liz needs to cut down on the technical fouls.But if the officials didn't let the opposition get away with so much contact.Liz wouldn't feel the need to verbally lash out.

Oh, poor Liz. She's the only one who has to ever had to deal with physical play in the trenches. Never mind she lashes out on plays with minimal contact, good no calls. Is she expecting 2015 Delle Donne type calls? Stop making excuses for her.

zune69 wrote:

McCowen's speed,lateral quickness,and offensive game are very questionable.

I guess you're not understanding that this evaluation is pointing to tanking being a bad idea, unless you consider McCowan an undesirable bottom first round pick who the Lynx would have no interest in instead of a lottery pick. If you don't rate McCowan a lottery pick, I definitely don't want to be in the lottery.

zune69 wrote:

Yeah, I do, but nothing will be solved by tanking as I've stated repeatedly and what doesn't get through to you. Apparently tanking is in your DNA, but it's not in mine, Maya's, or hopefully Reeve's.

zune69 wrote:
*I don't fear any team..We have the best player the league at two different positions(Cambage/Diggins).

The Lynx have MVP and Finals MVP winners in two different positions, and you seem to thinking resting them would be a good idea for the Lynx. Doesn't look like you're scared at all.

zune69 wrote:
If we continue to get contributions from the role players. We'll have a legit shot at winning the Championship.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out, so you won't have to worry about the Lynx.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/17/18 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kind of hoping we play the Lynx in the playoffs now so we can finally bring out the Muzzle Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/17/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades...You've made multiple disparaging comments about Paris.I Decided not to post any of them because I wanted to avoid any negativity...But since you ask,here's one.

Shades wrote:

I can imagine Cambage's tweet now "Look what Ameican food has done to poor Courtney!" Laughing

There are a few more that I would rather not post.

Being critical of Courtney's conditioning/Weight because it affects her performance is a far cry from cracking weight jokes and laughing.

McCowen is a lottery pick,but she's no guarantee...What concerns me about McCowen is that she appears to be in relatively good condition,but she still lacks foot speed and quickness.

And no shades,Minnesota will not be a pushover or easy out in the playoffs. They'll have as good a chance of winning the Championship as any other playoff team...I just don't fear them.....The only reason I said maybe it would be best if Minny missed the playoffs is because Whalen,Augustus,and Brunson are on their last leg....The Lynx need an influx of talent.

sigur3

PostPosted: 07/17/18 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades...You've made multiple disparaging comments about Paris.I Decided not to post any of them because I wanted to avoid any negativity...But since you ask,here's one.

Shades wrote:

I can imagine Cambage's tweet now "Look what Ameican food has done to poor Courtney!" Laughing

There are a few more that I would rather not post.

Being critical of Courtney's conditioning/Weight because it affects her performance is a far cry from cracking weight jokes and laughing.

He also makes such comments about KML's weight. Not very appropriate.

zune69

PostPosted: 07/17/18 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

He also makes such comments about KML's weight. Not very appropriate.

Show a little more compassion shades....There's nothing wrong with biting your tongue.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/17/18 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recall these comments also being made about Danielle Adams from Shades as well not targeting but being fair .

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: