Sky @ Liberty - 7/15/18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenDog

PostPosted: 07/15/18 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who were those players in NY uniforms?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/15/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster woman. But sooner or later the woman who wins is the woman who thinks she can.

PostPosted: 07/15/18 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Not only did Chicago pass on Stevens,but they let Breland walk.This is what happens when you don know how to evaluate talent.

I thought about Breland when it was mentioned that while Williams struggles with the height of fours, Parker can struggle with stretch fours. But I don’t think Breland ever got any love on this board either, if Stocks didn’t want to pay Breland more than Atlanta.

sigur3

PostPosted: 07/15/18 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago made Breland a very generous offer. She just decided to go to Atlanta instead.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/15/18 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Breland was terrible with the Sky last season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/15/18 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

you could also say Howard was terrible with the Lynx. Sometimes they actually are terrible. Sometimes it's coaching decisions on how they are used that make them look terrible. Sometimes a nagging injury can make them look terrible one season. Sometimes they just don't 'fit' with one team, but do fit with another. This is why it's so important for rookies especially to get to a team that is a good fit - once cut as a rookie, it's usually pretty hard to find another job.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/15/18 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Chicago made Breland a very generous offer. She just decided to go to Atlanta instead.

Based on the coaching last year, I can't blame her.

- Amanda Gorman
zune69

PostPosted: 07/15/18 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Breland:

2017-9.5p/6.3r/1.6a/1.7b/0.5s/47%/38%/79% in 24.5 mpg

2018-7.1p/8.1r/2.2a/1.8b/1.0s/38%/66% in 26.8 mpg

Something I noticed when looking at Breland’s stats is that up until the last season she took a total of 3 three-point FG's...Then 21 in 2017…..Breland has taken 0 three pointers this season.

Dolson up until last season took a total of 54 three-pointers….Then 71 in 2017,and 29 this season in only 14 games.

Just something to think about.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/15/18 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other than her inability to make those elbow jumpers, Breland has been fine this year

PostPosted: 07/15/18 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know i'm beating a dead horse...But it made absolutely no sense for Chicago to pass on Stevens,especially after Breland signed with Atlanta.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/15/18 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

What was terrible?

I noticed a few days ago that in 2018 her defensive ratings are at the top of the league, something the box score doesn't capture, although I guess they are somehow derived from team results, like +/-.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/16/18 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her defense has been pretty good (some nice blocks) but her shooting (35% from the field) has been awful

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 07/16/18 6:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Her defense has been pretty good (some nice blocks) but her shooting (35% from the field) has been awful

Breland's fg%(up to 38.6% after yesterdays game) is very subpar.However,I believe the poor shooting percentage has more to do with getting limited touches in a new system.In the first 17 gms Breland avg 7.6 fga on 34% fg shooting...Last 3 gms she's avg 12.3 fga on 54% fg....Williams and IMS were also shooting less than 40% up until a few gms ago......Breland coming into this season was a career 46% fg shooter...IMO, Breland's impact on defense more than makes up for her low shooting percentage.

Also,Stocks needs to re-evaluate her starting lineup.Having 4 mediocre defenders in the starting lineup is a recipe for disaster.The two things Chicago must do/consider this offseason is..1.They need to bring in a defensive 4 or 5.Only one of Dolson/Parker should start...and 2.Quigley going back to the bench should be under consideration.You can't start two poor defenders in the backcourt and expect to be an elite level basketball team.Seattle's able to get away with it because they have good defenders at the 3,4,and 5 positions...Don't get me wrong.Quigley/Vandersloot give 100% on the defensive end,but they just don't have the size,speed,or athleticism to guard 90% of the backcourts in the WNBA...Minnesota being the exception.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/16/18 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think many teams would have taken Stevens over Williams. I get that Chicago had a post need, but if they viewed Williams as having more long-term value I don’t think they’re the only team that would have done that.

Also, if they viewed Stevens and Dolson as playing the same position and both being stretch-types of players, that’s also a valid argument.

There’s no question, Stevens is looking better than Williams at this moment. There’s also no question that Stevens could have helped Chicago. Given also Williams should not be playing the 4 spot.

But I’d caution against short-term evaluation. Either way this would br a lottery team. Between Slooty letting our guards penetrate all day and the wide open lane, and Quigley letting our 2s get whatever they want, Stevens alone wouldn’t fix this. As good offensively as the Sky are in the backcourt, they’re the worst defensive backcourt in the league by a mile. Having Dolson in the middle doesn’t help either. It’s arguable that this team becomes more viable if DD and Gabby eventually play together at the 2 and 3 spots. Given time, Gabby’s perimeter game will probably improve.

I stress, that’s not to say Stevens would have been a bad choice. Just saying, if you know you’re in a two-year rebuild and probably in a draft lottery with 2 interior-oriented posts, then that might be part of their rationale for taking Williams in the first place. Bigger picture, that would make them better both at interior AND perimeter defense. It’s just a longer-term solution.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

It’s arguable that this team becomes more viable if DD and Gabby eventually play together at the 2 and 3 spots. Given time, Gabby’s perimeter game will probably improve.

I agree with this...However,Gabby must develop a decent jump shot,and Coach Stocks must abandon the idea of playing Gabby at the 4.......I also believe the solution to Chicago's defensive problems at PF is already on the roster(Ndour)...Starting Ndour at PF wouldn’t be a bad idea.She’s long,fast,athletic,and has the mobility to guard stretch 4's.She's also a very good offensive player.

Even if starting Ndour at PF doesn't pan out,at least Chicago will know for sure.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/16/18 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster woman. But sooner or later the woman who wins is the woman who thinks she can.

What if both women think they can?

PostPosted: 07/16/18 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
But I’d caution against short-term evaluation. Either way this would br a lottery team. Between Slooty letting our guards penetrate all day and the wide open lane, and Quigley letting our 2s get whatever they want, Stevens alone wouldn’t fix this.

Idea Exclamation

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/16/18 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stocks need to change her name. Her first name should be Agony. Her middle name Of. Her last name should be Defeat.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
toad455 wrote:

What was terrible?

I noticed a few days ago that in 2018 her defensive ratings are at the top of the league, something the box score doesn't capture, although I guess they are somehow derived from team results, like +/-.

Chicken or egg syndrome. If you play a lot of minutes on a good defensive team, you're going to have a good defensive rating. I don't think anyone who watches the Dream extensively would argue that their success is in spite of Breland though, she's a very good defensive player.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/16/18 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Breland's fg%(up to 38.6% after yesterdays game) is very subpar.However,I believe the poor shooting percentage has more to do with getting limited touches in a new system.In the first 17 gms Breland avg 7.6 fga on 34% fg shooting...Last 3 gms she's avg 12.3 fga on 54% fg....Williams and IMS were also shooting less than 40% up until a few gms ago......Breland coming into this season was a career 46% fg shooter...IMO, Breland's impact on defense more than makes up for her low shooting percentage.

Also,Stocks needs to re-evaluate her starting lineup.Having 4 mediocre defenders in the starting lineup is a recipe for disaster.The two things Chicago must do/consider this offseason is..1.They need to bring in a defensive 4 or 5.Only one of Dolson/Parker should start...and 2.Quigley going back to the bench should be under consideration.You can't start two poor defenders in the backcourt and expect to be an elite level basketball team.Seattle's able to get away with it because they have good defenders at the 3,4,and 5 positions...Don't get me wrong.Quigley/Vandersloot give 100% on the defensive end,but they just don't have the size,speed,or athleticism to guard 90% of the backcourts in the WNBA...Minnesota being the exception.

I agree with some points that your making but Sloot is an above average defender at the point IMO. But they are a bit small IMO. Bird and Loyd are also small but Loyd makes up for it with her speed and yes the others protect their backs. But its also about the defensive system and mindset that the coach needs to implement. Last year we didnt have that but now with the addiction of Howard but more importantly what Hughes brings and demands from the team. So almost identical team but very different defensive mentality and execution

I just dont see that with the Sky and Stocks.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/16/18 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it’s arguable that whatever Slooty’s deficiencies are (solid defender with help but subpar if you ask too much of her), they’re really showing up this year with Dolson being utterly inept at guarding the basket. There is no worse interior defensive team or help defensive team than Chicago in the league right now. It takes away from the physicality and smarts that Slooty can bring to playing D and highlights the poor lateral movement in an extended area. Factor in that Quigley can’t guard anyone, and you have a problem on your hands.

That all said, the Liberty played really well yesterday and they look like they’re playing with energy and an edge. But man. I haven’t seen a team allow an opponent more ease to the basket in like 5 years. And this wasn’t the first time it’s happened with this team.

Some of that may fall on Stocks but let’s face the obvious. The personnel on D is terrible.

OTOH credit where’s it due. I thought Vaughn’s help defense was excellent yesterday.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Libs were to win 7 more in a row and the 7, 8 teams stayed at .500 ball the Libs would STILL be a game out of 8th. Just for perspective’s sake. That’s not a projection. Though I do feel they’re going to play well the rest of the way. Not only do they have a lot of players who should be fairly fresh in a condensed season, but Boyd’s presence in the starting lineup ups the ante defensively.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
If the Libs were to win 7 more in a row and the 7, 8 teams stayed at .500 ball the Libs would STILL be a game out of 8th. Just for perspective’s sake. That’s not a projection. Though I do feel they’re going to play well the rest of the way. Not only do they have a lot of players who should be fairly fresh in a condensed season, but Boyd’s presence in the starting lineup ups the ante defensively.

The difference between 1st and 8th in the standings is less than the difference between the Liberty and making the playoffs.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Your loyalty is one of a kind.
Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: