RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

WNBA All Star Game 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7169



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/05/18 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage and Diggins should be All-Star starters....and Diamond should be an All-Star reserve at the very least.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20716
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/05/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
...and Diamond should be an All-Star reserve at the very least.

Yeah, sub-40% shooting on a bad team that can't defend just screams all-star.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7169



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/05/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:
...and Diamond should be an All-Star reserve at the very least.

Yeah, sub-40% shooting on a bad team that can't defend just screams all-star.


Diamond's shooting 39.6% from the field.That's better than Bird and McCoughtry.She has a 54% TFG% and is averaging 5.1 rpg.Diamond's also one of the better defenders at her position........If Diamond's not a All-Star reserve at SF,then who is?...Zellous?...Currie?...Stricklen?...Vivians?

And Diamond's only getting better

Last 5 gms:18.6p/5.6p/42%/32%/85%




Last edited by zune69 on 07/05/18 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7589
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/05/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:
...and Diamond should be an All-Star reserve at the very least.

Yeah, sub-40% shooting on a bad team that can't defend just screams all-star.


Diamond , Kelsey and Aja should all be all stars this year.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20716
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/05/18 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:
...and Diamond should be an All-Star reserve at the very least.

Yeah, sub-40% shooting on a bad team that can't defend just screams all-star.


Diamond's shooting 39.6% from the field.That's better than Bird and McCoughtry.She has a 54% EFG% and is averaging 5.1 rpg.Diamond's also one of the better defenders at her position........If Diamond's not a All-Star reserve at SF,then who is?...Zellous?...Currie?...Stricklen?...Vivians?

And Diamond's only getting better

Last 5 gms:18.6p/5.6p/42%/32%/85%

Bird is also leading the league in assists while running the best offense in the WNBA. McCoughtry's been shooting like shit all season, no argument there. DeShields's eFG% is actually a much more pedestrian .448, by the way, good for 93rd in the league by my count. I assume you were looking at her TS%, where her .537 gets her all the way up to 64th.

There's no need to force small forwards in if you can't find them. The league is just taking the top 22 after putting the four voting groups together, and even the coaches/players/media are just being asked to pick 9 guards and 13 frontcourt. DeShields isn't even all that close.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7169



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/05/18 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The new format probably hurts Diamond........I can see Augustus getting voted in over DD....That would really piss me off.

To Be Continued...


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20716
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/05/18 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, we can both agree that Augustus getting in would be pretty silly (although not as ridiculous as Whalen).

For what it's worth, I may have gone too far with "isn't even all that close" for DeShields. She's not top-13 in the frontcourt, but she might sneak into something like top-20. There's just a limited amount of choices. 22 players make the all-star team, and if we say that - at max - the starters and best bench player per team are just about viable candidates, that gets us to 72 options. 22 out of 72 is 31% of the realistic candidates are 'all-stars'. It's a pretty big net.

(cut it to just starters being meaningful candidates and it's 22 of 60, or 37%)



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8661



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/05/18 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3 from the East in the top 22.


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 15411
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/05/18 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:
...and Diamond should be an All-Star reserve at the very least.

Yeah, sub-40% shooting on a bad team that can't defend just screams all-star.


Diamond's shooting 39.6% from the field.That's better than Bird and McCoughtry.She has a 54% EFG% and is averaging 5.1 rpg.Diamond's also one of the better defenders at her position........If Diamond's not a All-Star reserve at SF,then who is?...Zellous?...Currie?...Stricklen?...Vivians?

And Diamond's only getting better

Last 5 gms:18.6p/5.6p/42%/32%/85%

Bird is also leading the league in assists while running the best offense in the WNBA. McCoughtry's been shooting like shit all season, no argument there. DeShields's eFG% is actually a much more pedestrian .448, by the way, good for 93rd in the league by my count. I assume you were looking at her TS%, where her .537 gets her all the way up to 64th.

There's no need to force small forwards in if you can't find them. The league is just taking the top 22 after putting the four voting groups together, and even the coaches/players/media are just being asked to pick 9 guards and 13 frontcourt. DeShields isn't even all that close.


Also if we are going to pick out the last 5 games then Bird is almost averaging a double double:

Bird last 5 games:
9,2 pts and 10 assists per game (1,8 TO's) on 47% from the field and 38% from behind the arc Wink



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8661



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/06/18 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So based on the fan voting if these are the 22 selected it would be:

MN - 5
SEA - 4
LA- 4
PHX - 3
DA - 2
NY 1
LV 1
DC 1
CT 1


16 players from 4 teams (MN,LA, SEA, PHX), 16 from West 3 from East. 9 teams represented, 3 teams not represented.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49477



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/12/18 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dan Hughes and Sandy Brondello will be the team head coaches.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18375



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/12/18 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
LOL @ Augustus, Whalen, Brunson, & Beard being in the top 22.


I think there are som advantages of being on certain teams. Wink



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20716
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/12/18 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If ridiculous people do end up getting in, them being from the home team wouldn't be a bad thing. Home town players for the fans to cheer for can only help the atmosphere.

(and to be fair, any Lynx who get in who might not deserve it this year are legends who've earned the 'legacy' pick as much as anyone. It's not like the Lynx equivalent of Schimmel is going to get in)



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 6180
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/12/18 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
The new format probably hurts Diamond........I can see Augustus getting voted in over DD....That would really piss me off.

To Be Continued...


You are vouching for the wrong Sky guard. Diamond is going to be a regular All-Star for years to come so I have no issue with her not making it this year.


mavcarter



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 4646
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/12/18 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If ridiculous people do end up getting in, them being from the home team wouldn't be a bad thing. Home town players for the fans to cheer for can only help the atmosphere.

(and to be fair, any Lynx who get in who might not deserve it this year are legends who've earned the 'legacy' pick as much as anyone. It's not like the Lynx equivalent of Schimmel is going to get in)


You’re right, I forgot the game was in Minnesota this year. And I guess it wouldn’t be a bad thing for Whalen, Augustus, and Brunson to get the hometown vote especially if Whalen and Brunson are considering retirement.

But Beard? Confused


zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 7169



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/12/18 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
The new format probably hurts Diamond........I can see Augustus getting voted in over DD....That would really piss me off.

To Be Continued...


You are vouching for the wrong Sky guard. Diamond is going to be a regular All-Star for years to come so I have no issue with her not making it this year.


I Got ahead of myself...My original comment about Diamond was made before I knew the complete details about the new format......And in no way was I trying to diminish the good offensive season A.Quigley is having...I just think Quigley's going to have a tough time making the team,especially if Augustus,Whalen,and Brunson get voted in.

Point Guard:
Diggins
Bird
Vandersloot
Gray

SG/SF:
Moore
Taurasi
Loyd
McBride
Bonner
McCoughtry
Hayes
Quigley

PF/C:
Griner
Fowles
Cambage
Parker
EDD
Stewart
Wilson
N,Ogwumike
C.Ogwumike
Charles

That's 22 players...now we just have to make room for Whalen,Augustus,and Brunson Rolling Eyes ....There's going to be a lot of angry fans if more than two Lynx players make the All-Star team.

BTW...DeShields/Howard are 23rd/24th in scoring.Both are very good rebounders and defenders.


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3135
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/18 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I looked at the first voting results and started playing with an appropriate draft. After a few picks I noticed a pattern that could make for an interesting game with natural rooting interests for fans. I suggest that the team headed by Maya Moore consist of all the available UConn and Lynx players. Two players were added to get to 11, The other team would have everyone else. These would be the rosters:


UConn/Minnesota Lynx

Starters
PG Sue Bird
SG Diana Taurasi
SF Maya Moore
PF Breanna Stewart
C Sylvia Fowles

Reserves

PG Lindsay Whalen
SG Simone Augustus
SF DaWonna Bonner
PF Tina Charles
C Liz Cambage
PF Rebekkah Brunson


Three To See Plus 8

Starters
PG Skyler Diggins
SG Jewel Loyd
SF Elena Delle Donne
PF Nneka Ogwumike
C Brittney Griner

Reserves
PG Chelsea Gray
SG Alana Beard
SF Angel McCoughtry
PF A'ja Wilson
C Candace Parker
PF Chiney Ogwumike

These selections represent the top 22 vote getters in the early voting. I substituted Angel McCoughtry (23) for Natasha Howard (21) because of position.


RP



Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 1224



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/18 5:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Backcourt
Taurasi
Diggins
McBride
Toliver
C. Gray
Hayes
Bird
Quigley
Vandersloot

Frontcourt
Moore
Delle Donne
Stewart
Griner
Charles
Parker
Fowles
Cambage
Wilson
Ogwumike x2
Bonner
Howard


PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 2081



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/18 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Dan Hughes and Sandy Brondello will be the team head coaches.


Do you know how that was determined? Feels like a miss on many levels to not have the championship coach on the sidelines when it’s in Minnesota for the first time ever


mavcarter



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 4646
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/18 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Shades wrote:
Dan Hughes and Sandy Brondello will be the team head coaches.


Do you know how that was determined? Feels like a miss on many levels to not have the championship coach on the sidelines when it’s in Minnesota for the first time ever


Storm and the Mercury have the best records in the league.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17699



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/13/18 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd have:

(*Starter)
TEAM A
C. Gray*
Taurasi*
Delle Donne*
Charles*
Griner*
Toliver
Bird
Loyd
Bonner
Howard
Fowles

TEAM B
Diggins-Smith*
Moore*
Wilson*
Stewart*
Cambage*
Quigley
DeShields
McBride
Candace Parker
N. Ogwumike
C. Ogwumike



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4726



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/18 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even mediocre Angel McCoughtry is a top 20 player, it will be absurd for her to not be in the all-star game.


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 15411
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/18 5:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Even mediocre Angel McCoughtry is a top 20 player, it will be absurd for her to not be in the all-star game.


Hayes is putting up better numbers then her so and is having a better season overall so i would have her over Angel.
And the Dream havent been great so multiple players in the ASG is not a must IMO.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57588
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'd have:

(*Starter)
TEAM A
C. Gray*
Taurasi*
Delle Donne*
Charles*
Griner*
Toliver
Bird
Loyd
Bonner
Howard
Fowles

TEAM B
Diggins-Smith*
Moore*
Wilson*
Stewart*
Cambage*
Quigley
DeShields
McBride
Candace Parker
N. Ogwumike
C. Ogwumike


No Dream players, but two teams with worse records get multiple players in.



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
Silky Johnson



Joined: 29 Sep 2014
Posts: 899



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/18 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Even mediocre Angel McCoughtry is a top 20 player, it will be absurd for her to not be in the all-star game.


Hayes is putting up better numbers then her so and is having a better season overall...

I mean, unless you're using "better numbers" as a euphemism for "scores more points," that's not actually true. Hayes is averaging more points, but McCoughtry is averaging more everything else.

It's a little like saying that Courtney Williams is "putting up better numbers" than Alyssa Thomas: it's only true if you think that only one of the 'numbers' counts.



_________________
Professional Hater. The Baron of #HateHard
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin