Mystics
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 12

Shades

PostPosted: 07/11/18 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Atlanta's not gonna get very far with a 6 ppg PF & 6 ppg center.

Yeah, even the 2013 Lynx had a 10 ppg PF to go with their 6 ppg center

That was arguably the strongest season for the Lynx.

C'mon, zune. Pilight has been a skeptic of the Dream all season long. Let him have his moment.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 07/11/18 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

C'mon, zune. Pilight has been a skeptic of the Dream all season long. Let him have his moment.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/11/18 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
.....Atlanta is 9-8 for a reason.

True enough. Atlanta could both win and lose to any team in the league. Funny thing about them, though, is that there's only one team in the league (at least, in 2018) that I'd look at and say, "There ain't no way in hell the Dream could beat them in a one-game playoff!", and that's the team with Diana Taurasi on it. Most years, I would say that there's nothing that the Dream could do to beat Minnesota, under any circumstances, but this Lynx team does not resemble the dynastic teams that we've grown accustomed to; all they would need is one of Moore or Fowles to go cold at the wrong time, and that's it.

If Atlanta got a lucky draw, a fourth trip to the Finals, while highly improbable, is far from inconceivable.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/11/18 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Atlanta's not gonna get very far with a 6 ppg PF & 6 ppg center.

Montgomery's shooting 36% from the field.

The bigger issue for Atlanta is that it took shooting 11-18 (61.1) percent today to get the team's season average from three up to 30.0 percent. The prowess from three also pushed the team's overall shooting percentage to 40.5 percent.

Adding Bentley will not necessarily help, as her career numbers (40.2 percent from the floor, 30.8 from three) are pretty close to Atlanta's team shooting percentages this year.

While Atlanta is 3rd in the league in free throw attempts (21.4 per game), the team shoots 74.9 percent from the line - second worst in the league. And that is with Angel shooting 86.9 percent from the line and getting to the charity stripe over five times per game.

At this point, Angel is 31 years old (turning 32 later this year, but she took off an entire season last year to rest). The offense is going to run through her as long as she is there. The goal would be for her to work on her shot, maybe tweak some of her mechanics, and try to turn her into a female James Harden - facilitate from the wing, be the primary playmaker, but be a threat to drive and from distance. But at this age, I am not sure how likely that is to happen.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/11/18 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bentley's six assists match our starting PG's season high

#NATC

PostPosted: 07/11/18 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
zune69 wrote:
You can't just rely on scoring from the guards/wings....
And I ask again: are you sure?

Yes...I'm positive....When Atlanta went to the finals multiple times.DeSouza and Sancho gave them scoring from the 4/5 positions.

Counterpoint: Phoenix arguably rode the backs of their three-G/F combo to two championships, with minimal offensive help from their frontcourt, and I don't recall the frontcourt being a significant offensive presence in either of Minnesota's first two championships.

Not quite true. Remember Phoenix had Penny Taylor playing the 4 and Tangela Smith at the 5 in those teams. Both were capable scorers.
Our PGs were actually the lowest scorers of our starting 5 (Kelly Miller in '07, and Temeka Johnson in '09) - but even they got their points because those teams were all about offence, so they're probably not a great comparison to use anyway.

The way I've always seen it is that if you've got quality players then even if they're not a traditional 1-2-3-4-5 you can still win games as long as their strengths overcome their weaknesses. Those Phoenix teams were badly undersized, but the positives of their mobility & perimeter shooting at the 4 & 5 overcame the negatives of being outmuscled.

PostPosted: 07/11/18 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
zune69 wrote:
You can't just rely on scoring from the guards/wings....
And I ask again: are you sure?

Yes...I'm positive....When Atlanta went to the finals multiple times.DeSouza and Sancho gave them scoring from the 4/5 positions.

Counterpoint: Phoenix arguably rode the backs of their three-G/F combo to two championships, with minimal offensive help from their frontcourt, and I don't recall the frontcourt being a significant offensive presence in either of Minnesota's first two championships.

Not quite true. Remember Phoenix had Penny Taylor playing the 4 and Tangela Smith at the 5 in those teams.

I mean, I guess, but I feel like you know what I meant. Just because you all played Penny Taylor out of position didn't make her into a PF, any more than Taurasi became a PG, just because y'all put her there for a year. The bulk of your offense came from Taurasi, Pondexter and Taylor, who are/were all wing players.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: