Board Junkies Forums

Sun’s Williams Absent From Team Due To Altercation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 07/09/18 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
On the other side, Bentley is better than Monty IMO. And she fits well with Atlanta.

Hmm she is a gunner though. Angel, Hayes and Sykes are pretty similar. Lets hope that goes well

Bentley played well her rookie year with Angel and Hayes. We gave her up in the Blockbuster Ajavon deal...........

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/09/18 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bentley is a better off-the-ball offensive player than Clarendon, a good trait when playing with Angel. Honestly a pretty good trade for both teams strictly on basketball terms, which is not always apparent in a trade where extracurriculars are clearly in the equation.

PostPosted: 07/09/18 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is a little bit telling (from Sun Press Release).

Quote:
“We are excited about obtaining Layshia,” Connecticut Sun General Manager and head coach Curt Miller said. “She’s a talented and savvy guard with a great reputation as a leader on and off the court. She was thrilled when we spoke, and can’t wait to arrive in Connecticut.”

Apparently Layshia is not wasting anytime packing or getting to the airport. Bentley and Williams may not have been the only clashing personalities involved in this.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/09/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m sure I’m not alone in believing Layshia is better than Montgomery. It’s gotta hurt to go from all-star to sub when the player playing in front of you is no all-star.

PostPosted: 07/09/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to say. Does Clarendon feel entitled to be a starter?

Seems like she was yesterday’s news when she first arrived at ATL.
Who did ATL trade to get her? (Did my own research. She cost ATL’s 2017 second round pick.)

Miller’s statement seems pretty template for him. Of course, anybody’s thrilled to be going to Connecticut.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/09/18 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think this is a little bit telling (from Sun Press Release).

Quote:
“We are excited about obtaining Layshia,” Connecticut Sun General Manager and head coach Curt Miller said. “She’s a talented and savvy guard with a great reputation as a leader on and off the court. She was thrilled when we spoke, and can’t wait to arrive in Connecticut.”

Apparently Layshia is not wasting anytime packing or getting to the airport. Bentley and Williams may not have been the only clashing personalities involved in this.

I don't think that necessarily has anything to do with personalities. You couldn't blame Clarendon for being excited to get out of Atlanta with how this season has gone for her. After the breakthrough two years ago following the trade, then everyone singing her praises when her assists skyrocketed last year (and a Team USA call), she finds herself benched behind a career backup. She's been playing pretty poorly in the minutes she's gotten as well, just to compound things.

However it came about on the other side of things, getting the hell out of Atlanta has to feel like a good thing to Clarendon.

PostPosted: 07/09/18 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's why we all thought Clarendon would be heading out of town since the day Montgomery was signed. It seems Collen (maybe correctly) thinks your 1 has to have a 3 point shot. Bentley is about a 31% 3 point shooter - ok but not great while Clarendon has been below 20% for 2 seasons now.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/09/18 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
That's why we all thought Clarendon would be heading out of town since the day Montgomery was signed. It seems Collen (maybe correctly) thinks your 1 has to have a 3 point shot. Bentley is about a 31% 3 point shooter - ok but not great while Clarendon has been below 20% for 2 seasons now.

I thought Miller was the one who was high on three point shooting. I guess he may need to hire you to help him out with player evaluations.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/09/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So strange, why suspend Williams then trade Bentley, someones gotta get the scoop here.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/09/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
So strange, why suspend Williams then trade Bentley, someones gotta get the scoop here.

Megdal is supposed to be the unOffical WNBA Muckraker. Where is he now that he is actually needed?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/09/18 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

From the very first, I thought Bentley was the one who would go. C.Williams is WAY better. I don't know why Courtney was the one to miss games as my money has always been on Bentley as instigator.

One scenario is Bentley was the aggressor and Williams didn't feel safe, but they couldn't prove that Bentley did anything. Putting Williams on paid leave would be proper until the threat was removed. This was done fairly quickly. Getting an uptempo PG who's willing to fight for PT (instead of having the PT she earned stolen out from under her) seems like a good deal. It's not like CT is gonna bring in Lindsay Allen and make her a starter...

~rAf
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/09/18 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Let's not start saying she was suspended - that's the sort of thing that gets repeated enough times and ends up being believed as fact. She was away from the team 'for personal reasons' after a reported altercation. If there was an actual suspension we probably would've heard about it, because that means official paperwork with the league and the players' association.

PostPosted: 07/09/18 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Hard to say. Does Clarendon feel entitled to be a starter?

Seems like she was yesterday’s news when she first arrived at ATL.
Who did ATL trade to get her? (Did my own research. She cost ATL’s 2017 second round pick.)

Miller’s statement seems pretty template for him. Of course, anybody’s thrilled to be going to Connecticut.

Actually, it was New York's 2nd rounder that we got in the Schimmel trade

PostPosted: 07/09/18 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Megdal is supposed to be the unOffical WNBA Muckraker. Where is he now that he is actually needed?

I have a feeling he’s all over this story. He’s probably one of the multiple sources.

zune69

PostPosted: 07/09/18 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay...Bentley got traded...but is Williams still safe?

Last edited by zune69 on 07/09/18 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
stever

PostPosted: 07/09/18 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the original "WNBAInsidr" bros was Eli Horowitz, who got hired in May by the Sparks for some kind of PR work...that's most likely their "source".

bballgrl

PostPosted: 07/09/18 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Maybe Williams was not safe so they kept her out of games until they could trade Bently. It was never stated that Williams was suspended. IMO Bently seems to be a hot head and I have never cared for watching her play. She seemed to have a "better than thou attitude".

zune69

PostPosted: 07/09/18 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Maybe Williams was not safe so they kept her out of games until they could trade Bently. It was never stated that Williams was suspended. IMO Bently seems to be a hot head and I have never cared for watching her play. She seemed to have a "better than thou attitude".

If Williams was in any danger,I would expect her teammates to rally around her and come to her defense.If Bentley was a malcontent,she would've been removed from the team...As for Bentley's attitude.She's not the first player who's been accused of being cocky...Just because Bentley openly shows her confidence doesn't mean she's a bad person.

Last edited by zune69 on 07/09/18 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/09/18 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams is at the season ticket holder event tonight with the team. Alyssa Thomas participated in the practice against the male players so shes ready to go. Miller said Clarendon arrives tomorrow. All is restored in the land of the rising 🌞

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/09/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting speculation...I'll add mine. Maybe CW has some facial abrasions. Maybe the plan was to "showcase" Bentley to facilitate a trade. Maybe CW just needed time off.

I'm glad Bentley is gone. She thinks she's a better shooter than she is, and she takes enough inappropriate shots to piss me off.

Won't be missed at all, imo.

Clarendon is a dead ringer for John Turturro, imo.

Smile

She'll be, at the very least, a capable PG backup w/ a great attitude and work ethic.

Good deal for the Sun.

PostPosted: 07/09/18 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is impossible to know or guess who was at fault and why any of these things developed the way they did. Could be either CW or AB at fault, or just a dust up between two players on the same team - something which happens from time to time. If AB was a troublemaker, I think Collen would know that and not trade Clarendon - from all accounts a high character person - for her. If CW was a big problem I would imagine Miller would have tried and succeeded in moving her along. Clarendon was simply not fitting in with the Dream under the new regime and (like AB and J Thomas before her) sent to Sunny Connecticut in exchange for what we hope is a better fit. So far all the Dream players that have gone there did better than they were doing before.

stever

PostPosted: 07/09/18 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collen interviewed today...absolutely nothing about the "incident".

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wnbainsidr-podcast/id1344311724?mt=2#episodeGuid=58fa82fa1e5b6c7e20e71019%3A5a760a17085229a6163992f7%3A5b43db39f950b7ecba572a16

Shades

PostPosted: 07/09/18 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it was “just a dust-up”, I would think a well-managed team would be able to smooth things out. It must have been bad enough to potentially risk the season for CON.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/09/18 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All else not withstanding, it's safe to assume that Collen asked Angel and others who have played with AB to weigh in before making the move.

PostPosted: 07/09/18 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If it was “just a dust-up”, I would think a well-managed team would be able to smooth things out. It must have been bad enough to potentially risk the season for CON.

True. It was bad enough to the point the organization or the one or both of the players themselves felt like they couldn't play on the same team. Maybe Miller isn't a strong enough leader to control his locker room.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: