Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/03/18 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:
As for the Mercury - will they try to make a deal to get a replacement PF? Seems to me that about now they must be regretting trading away DuPre and/or Harrison for players that didn't produce much.

Who would they get? No contender is going to help them.

They traded away Candace Dupree and Izzy Harrison already. Glory Johnson is a non-option for this team. Kelsey Bone also burned her bridges in Phoenix. Kiah Stokes? Cheyenne Parker?

They could sign Emma Cannon or Larkins.

Can they? I thought a team had to be down two players to sign a replacement.

Teams are allowed 12 players. The Merc only have 11.

PostPosted: 07/03/18 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are you saying they could afford 12? If they can afford 12, why don’t they have 12?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 07/03/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Are you saying they could afford 12? If they can afford 12, why don’t they have 12?

They only need someone for half a season, probably at the vet minimum. They might be able to swing that.

PostPosted: 07/03/18 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They could trade somebody to create cap space as well.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/03/18 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
They could trade somebody to create cap space as well.

So let’s say you trade Bonner for Vivians. Now you should have enough cap space to sign Kizer. Is it worth it?

Shades

PostPosted: 07/03/18 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do 7-day contracts figure into the cap? Is it just the value of the contract?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/03/18 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they need roster/cap space to add someone - and I think their prior moves suggest they would - then just cut somebody. It's not like Brondello actually uses her bench. Talbot, Robinson, even Turner or Gulich - you'd hardly notice if they were gone.

I saw someone talk about how the Mercury aren't deep on Twiiter yesterday - I'm not actually convinced that they're much shallower than most teams. Brondello just doesn't use them.

PostPosted: 07/03/18 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn’t it too late to cut people? The deadline was reportedly Sunday, therefore all current contracts are guaranteed.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/03/18 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Larkins would seem to be a good fit for the team's biggest need - rebounding.

That being said, Phoenix presented a tough matchup defensively, going 6-4/6-5/6-9 across the frontcourt positions. Larkins is basically 6-1, and while she is a force on the boards for her size, she does not have the athleticism or leaping ability of a Lyttle, even at this stage in Sancho's career.

Kiah Stokes makes sense from rebounding, but can she defend mobile 4s? Does she have the shooting range to at least 15 feet on a consistent basis? And with what asset would Phoenix be willing to part to acquire her?

I’d hate to part with her, but Kiah Stokes for FLB makes sense for both teams. Turner is starting to take FLB’s minutes, and she’s too good of a player to get 15 minutes a game.

Kiah would pretty much be a younger Lyttle. FLB gives New York a point guard. I love FLB and honestly think she’s the better player, but Kiah fulfills a huge need.

PostPosted: 07/03/18 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Liberty trade Stokes for FLB and sign who?? Larkins' is reportly going to Minnesota. Kizer's back is shot. We need four posts, just can't think of anyone available that could help us now. Maybe Reshanda Gray?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/03/18 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Starting Wednesday, WNBA teams can sign players to seven-day contracts.

I wonder if someone like Lynetta Kizer (recently waived by Minnesota) will be brought in.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/03/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So Liberty trade Stokes for FLB and sign who?? Larkins' is reportly going to Minnesota. Kizer's back is shot. We need four posts, just can't think of anyone available that could help us now. Maybe Reshanda Gray?

Your coach likes to play Coleman and the small ball lineup so much, do you even need another post? Wink

I’m solving your point guard problem for you. You just happen to need more help than that. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/03/18 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Kiah would pretty much be a younger Lyttle. FLB gives New York a point guard. I love FLB and honestly think she’s the better player, but Kiah fulfills a huge need.

Stokes is nowhere near as good as Lyttle. She'd be backing up Little if you made the trade.

PostPosted: 07/03/18 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Robinson can play the PF spot aswell

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 07/03/18 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Your coach likes to play Coleman and the small ball lineup so much, do you even need another post? Wink

I’m solving your point guard problem for you. You just happen to need more help than that. Laughing

1.) Coleman's injured. 2.) The small line-up isn't working for New York. So yes we would need a fourth post.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 07/03/18 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Robinson can play the PF spot aswell

I guess PHX doesn’t really have a problem then.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/03/18 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Stokes is nowhere near as good as Lyttle. She'd be backing up Little if you made the trade.

Their stats are very comparable. Kiah is nowhere as good as Lyttle in Lyttle’s prime, but now they are comparable. A Griner/Stokes front line would probably be intimidating defensively.

If we’re looking at Uconn posts, I’d rather have Gabby to be honest. But Kiah is a real potential option that can play the same roll.

I’d like to reduce Little’s minutes as much as possible.

PostPosted: 07/03/18 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

1.) Coleman's injured. 2.) The small line-up isn't working for New York. So yes we would need a fourth post.

Didn’t realize she was hurt. Had kind of given up on New York..

PostPosted: 07/03/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd look to try a deal for Langhorne. Maybe Gulich? 2019 FRP?

Shades

PostPosted: 07/03/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure why SEA would want to help PHX. Might as well help MIN.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/03/18 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Not sure why SEA would want to help PHX. Might as well help MIN.

Good point MIN has some history of helping out other teams.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/03/18 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Their stats are very comparable. Kiah is nowhere as good as Lyttle in Lyttle’s prime, but now they are comparable. A Griner/Stokes front line would probably be intimidating defensively.

Their numbers are not really comparable. Lyttle's 55% from the floor is better than Stokes' 48%. Lyttle isn't afraid to shoot like Stokes seems to have become (11% USG). Neither is known for their passing, but Lyttle's 26 assists in 419 minutes is far superior to Stokes' two in 157 minutes. Lyttle has a positive ATO while Stokes has over five times as many turnovers as assists. Their rebounding numbers are similar. Also, Lyttle is a better defensive player than Stokes. There's a reason one of these players has seen steadily decreasing minutes for a bad team while the other was a full time starter for the team with the best record in the league.

PostPosted: 07/03/18 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Their numbers are not really comparable. Lyttle's 55% from the floor is better than Stokes' 48%. Lyttle isn't afraid to shoot like Stokes seems to have become (11% USG). Neither is known for their passing, but Lyttle's 26 assists in 419 minutes is far superior to Stokes' two in 157 minutes. Lyttle has a positive ATO while Stokes has over five times as many turnovers as assists. Their rebounding numbers are similar. Also, Lyttle is a better defensive player than Stokes. There's a reason one of these players has seen steadily decreasing minutes for a bad team while the other was a full time starter for the team with the best record in the league.

Im not seeing how Gabby would be a better option than Kiah stokes neither. Stokes give you a defensive presence versus the likes of Brunson , Parker,Nneka , Aja , Stewie , Glory . Using Gabby against any of those players would be a fools mistake. Ask Amber!

PostPosted: 07/03/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Quality of players around you matters.

My guess is Stokes gets easier shots (and shoots a higher percentage) when she’s playing with Griner, Taurasi, and BONNER. (As she did when she played with a higher quality of players earlier in her career.) higher quality offensive players, means a higher quality offense..she won’t be forcing passes.

Players like Lyttle are insanely valuable on teams with a lot of finesse talent. Players like that aren’t so valuable on bottom feeder teams that struggle to score.

Kiah would likely be no different. The Merc need defense, rebounding, and a tall person for that last spot. Kiah fits it to a T. The Liberty need a lot more than that from every position besides Tina’s.

Although maybe if she isn’t so highly regarded, we wouldn’t have to give up FLB. Wink

PostPosted: 07/03/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Quality of players around you matters.

My guess is Stokes gets easier shots (and shoots a higher percentage) when she’s playing with Griner, Taurasi, and BONNER. (As she did when she played with a higher quality of players earlier in her career.) higher quality offensive players, means a higher quality offense..she won’t be forcing passes.

Players like Lyttle are insanely valuable on teams with a lot of finesse talent. Players like that aren’t so valuable on bottom feeder teams that struggle to score.

Kiah would likely be no different. The Merc need defense, rebounding, and a tall person for that last spot. Kiah fits it to a T. The Liberty need a lot more than that from every position besides Tina’s.

Although maybe if she isn’t so highly regarded, we wouldn’t have to give up FLB. Wink

Also, if you're a believer in +/- Stokes is on her third straight season of being one of the worst - players on the Lib.

Stokes isn't a high post player. She's 25% from outside 5' this season. That's not an aberration. She was 30% from outside 5' last season, 29% in 2016, and 28% in 2015. She's only capable of making shots at point blank range.

Lyttle was incredibly valuable to Atlanta, a team that has always struggled to score.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: