RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 06/14/18 5:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

+1 @ J-Spoon

The only way Diamond,Gabby,and the Sky will thrive is if Chicago trades Copper for a PF...This would bolster the Sky's frontline,and free up minutes for Diamond and Gabby at the wing positions.

There are a number of trade possibilities that would involve Copper:

Copper for Harrison
Copper for Hamby
Copper for Lavender
Copper & Coates for Stokes & Ny's 2019 2nd rd pk
Copper & Coates for Dupree & Indy's 2019 2nd rd pk

Or maybe Big Bill would prefer a Center...Coates for Harrison..or Coates for Hamby.

shontay33

PostPosted: 06/14/18 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Like everyone I'm not sure what is going on with Harrison in LV but Copper for Harrison could be good for both teams this will open up more minutes for Deshields and Gabby at the 2 and 3 and give Chicago a legit PF who can be combined with Dolson, Ch. Parker, Coates or N'Dour in the front court

Sloot/Faulkner
Quigley/(Deshields)/Harper
Deshields/G. Williams/A. Montgomery
Ch. Parker/Harrison/N'Dour
Dolson/Coates

Copper seems like a Laimbeer type player and fits nicely behind McBride and Young

L. Allen/Plum/Jefferson
McBride/Copper
T. Young/Nared
Wilson/Hamby
Park/Bone/Swords

Why trade Copper? Just bring her off the bench for scoring. If Chicago wants to get more athletic then they can bring quogley off the bench as well. The problem with that is Quigley’s shooting opens up the floor for everyone else.

Another thing I noticed is that the coach has Gabby at the 4 while Dolson is out. It might not be too bad. There have been lots of undersized 4’s that have had good careers. Gabby with her versatility can possibly cause other teams problems when she plays the 4.

chapulana

PostPosted: 06/14/18 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
+1 @ J-Spoon

The only way Diamond,Gabby,and the Sky will thrive is if Chicago trades Copper for a PF...This would bolster the Sky's frontline,and free up minutes for Diamond and Gabby at the wing positions.

Copper for Harrison
Copper for Hamby
Copper for Lavender

Or maybe Big Bill would prefer a Center...Coates for Harrison..or Coates for Hamby.

Indiana doesn't have a 2nd, it'd be a high 3rd. Even with that I think that'd be a fair deal imo considering the position they're at and that they have another 3rd and need young bigs. They'd be getting Coates as the replacement of the 3rd they'd be trading but I don't know if Copper would be seen well or if they'd like to add another G (although she could be Dup's replacement at a much younger age tho, and given the season is done for them that's not the worst situation to be in).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/14/18 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams has been at the 4 virtually all season, whether Dolson was there or not. They slid her over to the 3 and started Cheyenne Parker instead of DeShields for the game against LA, but that's about it.

I don't see any real need to trade Copper, either - it's not like she's in anyone's way with the way Stocks is using her. But players like Copper and Faulkner could be trade chips to get that post player that this roster still seems to be missing if someone's interested. Problem is that neither's putting up the kind of numbers that increase their stock. Parker and initially Quigley are virtually the only Sky players coming away from this season with much credit so far.

PostPosted: 06/14/18 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want people to misinterpret my previous post...Copper's not the problem...but trading her can be part of the solution...The real problem is Gabby playing PF.It's not the most optimal position for her.....GW doesn't have the size/length to contend with the bigger PF's...Sure,we've seen a couple of undersized PF's have success,but most of those players had a different body type and style of play.Gabby’s at her best when she’s running the floor in transition,flying through the air for rebounds,and being a great help defender.A.Thomas on the other hand is a physical,broad shoulder player who enjoys contact…..Gabby tries to avoid contact...Thomas seeks out the contact.Wrestling with bigger players has no effect on Thomas...Gabby however,needs space to operate and be effective....I Just don't see Gabby having much success at the PF position:

1.Gabby is very undersized(6'0)...Any PF with decent size can score her in the post.Gabby provides zero deterrent on defense.Go back and watch the games.Zahui b,Howard,Stewart,Wilson,etc...all had an easy time scoring on Gabby.

2.Gabby's lack of size also impacts her rebounding.She is the worst rebounding starting PF in the league.In fact,C.Parker is averaging 2 more rebounds than Gabby in 6 less minutes...Post players have neutralized Gabby's biggest strength(Jumping,Athletic ability) just by putting a body on her...Hard to use your jumping ability or speed in the paint area when you have no space,especially when you're only 6'0.

Chicago would be better off developing Gabby as a SF.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/14/18 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I don't want people to misinterpret my previous post...Copper's not the problem...but trading her can be part of the solution...The real problem is Gabby playing PF.It's not the most optimal position for her.....GW doesn't have the size/length to contend with the bigger PF's...Sure,we've seen a couple of undersized PF's have success,but most of those players had a different body type and style of play.Gabby’s at her best when she’s running the floor in transition,flying through the air for rebounds,and being a great help defender.A.Thomas on the other hand is a physical,broad shoulder player who enjoys contact…..Gabby tries to avoid contact...Thomas seeks out the contact.Wrestling with bigger players has no effect on Thomas...Gabby however,needs space to operate and be effective....I Just don't see Gabby having much success at the PF position:

1.Gabby is very undersized(6'0)...Any PF with decent size can score her in the post.Gabby provides zero deterrent on defense.Go back and watch the games.Zahui b,Howard,Stewart,Wilson,etc...all had an easy time scoring on Gabby.

2.Gabby's lack of size also impacts her rebounding.She is the worst rebounding starting PF in the league.In fact,C.Parker is averaging 2 more rebounds than Gabby in 6 less minutes...Post players have neutralized Gabby's biggest strength(Jumping,Athletic ability) just by putting a body on her...Hard to use your jumping ability or speed in the paint area when you have no space,especially when you're only 6'0.

True. Preach the word and the word will set you free.

PostPosted: 06/14/18 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Something else you might want to mention in the comparison with Thomas is that it took her four years to rise above utterly mediocre. Williams has had all of nine games. Give her a chance.

Williams probably does need to adapt her game more for the pros, but I really think the 'undersized' thing has become overblown. There's minimal difference when she lines up against someone like Jessica Breland, who's been playing the 4 for years in this league. The likes of Thornton and Hines-Allen have been lauded for their play this season at the 4. It's doable, and it's about style at least as much as simple height. Her jumper actually looks pretty nice a lot of the time too - nowhere near as broken as Thomas's.

She may end up as a 3, or a more regular hybrid, but I don't think the 4's impossible. And part of it's dictated by the shambolic alternative options Stocks has inside. Past Parker's occasional shining moments it's been slim pickings lately.

PostPosted: 06/14/18 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Something else you might want to mention in the comparison with Thomas is that it took her four years to rise above utterly mediocre. Williams has had all of nine games. Give her a chance.

Williams probably does need to adapt her game more for the pros, but I really think the 'undersized' thing has become overblown. There's minimal difference when she lines up against someone like Jessica Breland, who's been playing the 4 for years in this league. The likes of Thornton and Hines-Allen have been lauded for their play this season at the 4. It's doable, and it's about style at least as much as simple height. Her jumper actually looks pretty nice a lot of the time too - nowhere near as broken as Thomas's.

She may end up as a 3, or a more regular hybrid, but I don't think the 4's impossible. And part of it's dictated by the shambolic alternative options Stocks has inside. Past Parker's occasional shining moments it's been slim pickings lately.

While that is all true it also explains the motivation for trading Copper for a Post.

Subtracting Copper creates more minutes for Deshields as a 3/2 and more minutes for Williams primarily as a 3, while bringing in a post who can contribute more at the 4 than The players behind Ch Parker, or G. Williams if you are in the Gabby isn't best suited for the PF spot on the pro level camp.

shontay33

PostPosted: 06/15/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
+1 @ J-Spoon

Copper for Harrison
Copper for Hamby
Copper for Lavender

Interesting about Dupree given that she wanted out of Chicago when she was there. I don't see that trade happening. Why trade Coates when they just drafted her last year? This is actually her rookie year.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 06/15/18 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Thank God I’ve moved to Dallas and the team here has been very crafty at earning my loyalty!! Slooty, you are my only remaining tie to the Sky, come to Dallas and complete my separation!!! (Although, I do inadvertently Cheer let’s go Sky when they do the chant at games. I guess it’ll take a little longer to rewire the lesser centers of the brain)

Any who on to my original reason for exclaiming! Y’all are recommending the Sky groom GW to be an athletic non-shooting SF!!! So you actually want a Tamera Young 2.0??? Nothing like playing 4 on 5 on offense. Good luck with that.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 06/15/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doubt Slooty is leaving Quig behind.

zune69

PostPosted: 06/15/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:

Interesting about Dupree given that she wanted out of Chicago when she was there. I don't see that trade happening. Why trade Coates when they just drafted her last year? This is actually her rookie year.

1.It's possible Dupree wanted out of Chicago because of the Coaching staff,or because she wanted to be with Bonner.

2.Coates isn't getting much run.She's the 5th post when Chicago is at full strength.

3.Stokes(Defensive) & Dupree(Offensive) are more valuable than Coates.

Skyfan22 wrote:

Any who on to my original reason for exclaiming! Y’all are recommending the Sky groom GW to be an athletic non-shooting SF!!! So you actually want a Tamera Young 2.0??? Nothing like playing 4 on 5 on offense. Good luck with that.

1.Gabby would obviously have to “develop” a Jump shot.

2.Gabby would come off the bench.

3.With Gabby starting at the PF position,the Sky are playing 4 on 5 on offense and defense….Gabby can’t defend,score,and is a mediocre rebounder at the PF position.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 06/15/18 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="zune69"]
shontay33 wrote:

Skyfan22 wrote:

1.Gabby would obviously have to “develop” a Jump shot.

2.Gabby would come off the bench.

3.With Gabby starting at the PF position,the Sky are playing 4 on 5 on offense and defense….Gabby can’t defend,score,and is a mediocre rebounder at the PF position.

1. Sounds like TYoung

2. Sounds like TYoung

3. Which is why I was thrilled she didn’t come to the Wings!!!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/15/18 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Thank God I’ve moved to Dallas and the team here has been very crafty at earning my loyalty!! Slooty, you are my only remaining tie to the Sky, come to Dallas and complete my separation!!! (Although, I do inadvertently Cheer let’s go Sky when they do the chant at games. I guess it’ll take a little longer to rewire the lesser centers of the brain)

You better Preach ! Laughing

PostPosted: 06/15/18 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Powers and Davis career field goal percentage is below forty percent. I am confident that Williams can shoot better than that.

PostPosted: 06/15/18 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think G. Williams can play SF and find a way to use her skill set to get points from the perimeter, more than she'll be able to score in the post against PFs. I think she may also be able to rebound better from the SF spot crashing the boards as opposed to blocking out against larger players. If you combine her with a PF with range Williams would have a much better chance posting up other SF, and could also pass easier to the perimeter out of penetration. But whether she plays the 3 or the 4 developing a mid range shot pretty much has to happen or her points are only going to come in transition and on put backs.

sigur3

PostPosted: 06/15/18 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Powers and Davis career field goal percentage is below forty percent. I am confident that Williams can shoot better than that.

Or at least have the basketball IQ to not shoot those shots over...and over...and over...

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/16/18 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Ouch. Laughing

stever

PostPosted: 06/29/18 8:39 pm    ::: DeShields eager to continue improving on defense Reply Reply with quote

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20180629/skys-deshields-eager-to-continue-improving-on-defense

Quote:
"I want to be talked about with players like Angel someday," said DeShields, who has always been a scorer (she's averaging 12.3 points per game, second-best on the team, and scored a game-high 23 points against Atlanta). Lately, she has put more effort into her defense. But she says that defense wasn't always her thing.

zune69

PostPosted: 06/29/18 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I like to kill Stocks for obvious reasons(Starting lineup,Substitution patterns)...She’s done a great job of keeping her team unified.Stocks’ positive reinforcement has given every Sky player a sense of self-worth.If a player's having a good game Stocks will give them extended minutes.At the same time,Stocks holds them accountable...If a player's being selfish or not sticking to the game plan,Stocks will pull them from the game,chew them out,and even cut their minutes.Stocks has done a better job of making in-game adjustments and letting Diamond play through her mistakes. Stocks also has a commanding presence on the sideline and in the huddle.She doesn’t just sit on the bench with a blank look on her face(Fred williams)...When Stocks grabs the clipboard,you get the sense that she knows what she doing....The atmosphere on the sky bench is very positive.Players are always standing and cheering for one another.This might not be a big deal to some people.But this type of behavior creates great team comradery.

Last edited by zune69 on 06/30/18 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Randy

PostPosted: 06/29/18 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it comes down to the Dream, Sky and possibly the Aces for the last playoff spot. Two of the 3 won't make the playoffs.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/29/18 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
As much as I like to kill Stocks for obvious reasons(Starting lineup,Substitution patterns)....She's done a great job of keeping her team unified,creating a positive atmosphere,holding players accountable,and commanding their respect.

She looks calmer/mellower/more-relaxed on the sidelines this year.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 06/30/18 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Ouch. Laughing

HMMmm. How did I miss this post? Regardless....

This post doesn’t even respond to the question I posed. Yes the Wings have issues. shakhator being one of the glaring ones. But no Wings fans that I know of are advocating making their issues into the second coming of TYoung. Throwing out stats about a player who’s barely sniffed the WNBA court consistently since her Rookie season and the 8th, or so, pick in an allegedly weak draft, despite their attendant issues, has not one single thing to do with Gabby playing 3 on the Sky. The Sky, who are still my second team, would be making an ongoing boneheaded desicison.

This, “I know I am but what about you mentality,” is especially laughable when you do actually compare the players (again, no reason to do so since the initial question had nothing to do with, “Oh look how great the Wings have it with player X and Y,” but instead just asked about what to do with Gabby) since Gabby has been completely incapable of shooting the 3 a la TYoung and both Davis and Powers have demonstrated the ability to get hot in their supporting roles to the starters.

Now, as a many year dedicated Sky fan, I know the unquestioned love of TYoung by all Sky Fans, and I should never question the passion they have for Tamera, but I’m so tired of watching their offense stagnate as they are outmatched. The last thing I wanna do is piss off the Sky fans as I still am a big Sky supporter and I generally enjoy all the Sky posters on this board.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 06/30/18 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Alyssa Thomas is more the player Gabby should strive to be... Also an athletic non-shooting SF turned PF.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/30/18 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
I think Alyssa Thomas is more the player Gabby should strive to be... Also an athletic non-shooting SF turned PF.

Was Williams a small forward initially at UCONN? Makes sense if she was since Hoopgurlz says she was a guard in high school.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: