RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

‘Gaming disorder’ is officially recognized by the WHO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 06/19/18 7:10 am    ::: ‘Gaming disorder’ is officially recognized by the WHO Reply Reply with quote

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/18/gaming-disorder-is-officially-recognized-by-the-world-health-organization/

Quote:
The volume, out this week, diagnoses the newly minted disorder with three key telltale signs:

1 Impaired control over gaming (e.g. onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context)

2 Increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities

3 Continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences

Gonna be a whole bunch of people making disability claims...

PostPosted: 06/20/18 3:49 pm    ::: Re: ‘Gaming disorder’ is officially recognized by the WH Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/18/gaming-disorder-is-officially-recognized-by-the-world-health-organization/

Quote:
The volume, out this week, diagnoses the newly minted disorder with three key telltale signs:

1 Impaired control over gaming (e.g. onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context)

2 Increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities

3 Continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences

No different than other process addictions, i.e. gambling, sex, shopping, etc.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/22/18 5:56 pm    ::: Re: ‘Gaming disorder’ is officially recognized by the WH Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Wait! You mean....I could get disability checks for sex addiction? Shocked

PostPosted: 06/23/18 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Gaming Disorder is now one of the infinitely expanding psychiatric disorders?

Surely, it's just a subset of the far more prevalent and pernicious Interacting With Electronic Screens All Day Disorder.

In my youth, there was TV Disorder, in which folks spent pre-school, after-school and postprandial hours staring at cathode ray tubes and adjusting rabbit ear antennas.

In my parents' era, housewives were known to have Radio Disorder up to 16 hours per day.

The pre-puberty generation is doomed.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/24/18 2:13 pm    ::: Re: ‘Gaming disorder’ is officially recognized by the WH Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Of course not. And Pilight certainly understands that you won't be able to get it for gaming addiction either.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/24/18 2:22 pm    ::: Re: ‘Gaming disorder’ is officially recognized by the WH Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Howee wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Of course not. And Pilight certainly understands that you won't be able to get it for gaming addiction either.

People will still try

PostPosted: 06/24/18 2:22 pm    ::: Re: ‘Gaming disorder’ is officially recognized by the WH Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Howee wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

People will still try

People try to do all kinds of things ...

justintyme

PostPosted: 06/25/18 5:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing is very few people will actually meet the criteria for a full-fledged disorder diagnosis. Just playing a lot of video games--even if a person spends every last minute of their free time doing that--does not rise to the that level. We are talking people who cannot hold down a job because they can't stop playing video games, who cannot take care of themselves or others because of their need to keep playing. And this isn't even about people who make bad choices because they enjoy gaming so much that they stay up late and miss work or school, or have lost real world relationships because they enjoy their virtual worlds more. No, just the fact that the person is actually making a choice in these circumstances, poor as it may be, means it does not meet the criteria for a pathological diagnosis. Someone who has this disorder is incapable of making any other choice but to play, just as someone with OCD is incapable of choosing to ignore their compulsion.

People throw around the addiction terms, but they are not entirely synonymous with the disorders. There are many more people who meet the criteria for addiction than have a full-fledged disorder. But those that have the disorder would likely qualify for disability, just as people with other forms of mental illnesses that keep them from working (like OCD, Agoraphobia, Severe Depression, Schizophrenia, etc) would qualify.

PostPosted: 06/25/18 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never got into PC (or Playstation/XBox) games, but it hasn't stopped me from spending massive amounts of time "on the computer". Can we get a "browsing the web" addiction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: