RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Let the Transfers Begin! And other Attrition/injury 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/19/18 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Desiree Elmore has received the OK to transfer from Syracuse. No word yet on where she might go.

PostPosted: 06/19/18 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Again, shouldn't all adults in the same industry have the same options? If coaches can change jobs, if bosses can change jobs, then why shouldn't athletes and employees?

If you wish to treat them like other 'adults'...just like many other adults, they essentially sign a one year non-compete clause when they sign on for a scholarship at a DI school. If they don't wish to sign a non-compete then they can go to a DII or DIII or community college. And a one year non-compete is much less than many others sign in the adult world. I don't see how an extra year of paid schooling is such an onerous burden.

I don't know the details of coaches' contracts, but they do have contracts and must abide by the terms of their contracts. My boss has a different contract than I do. The company I work for benefits from my skills/work. Why is this any different? Coaches have different contracts than players have. Both must abide by the terms of their contracts. No big deal.

- Amanda Gorman
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 06/19/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure that allowing students to transfer without restrictions would be doing them any favors. It puts them under a lot of additional scrutiny, pressure, enticements, unwanted recruiting and recruiters, unscrupulous AAU influences, and all kinds of nonsense that's a distraction from their current team and academics. That stuff was bad enough during their original recruitment and signing...they don't need four more years of it. Or we could just allow them to sign with an agent, and let the agent handle it for some percentage of their future income.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/19/18 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I'm not sure that allowing students to transfer without restrictions would be doing them any favors. It puts them under a lot of additional scrutiny, pressure, enticements, unwanted recruiting and recruiters, unscrupulous AAU influences, and all kinds of nonsense that's a distraction from their current team and academics. That stuff was bad enough during their original recruitment and signing...they don't need four more years of it. Or we could just allow them to sign with an agent, and let the agent handle it for some percentage of their future income.

So let's impede their freedom because it's for their own good ... why don't we try that on everyone who's on this board? Let's have our "betters," our "superiors" determine what's best for us -- I'm sure they wouldn't do anything that would help them and hurt us. After all, they certainly put our best interests over their own.

Which brings me back to this point: Have the NCAA and a group of athletes conduct a formal bargaining session and produce a contract ratified by both sides, rather than having the NCAA and its member schools impose a radically unfair system on uninformed and powerless employees who generate the income that supports the NCAA administrative salaries and benefits colleges to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.

PostPosted: 06/19/18 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by insidewinder on 06/19/18 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
insidewinder

PostPosted: 06/19/18 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
To take market value first, rather than just guess, why not let the market decide value? It could be that, if a bargaining agreement were in place, that college athletes would have little or no value, and the system would remain essentially the same.

Of course that wouldn't be true in football and men's basketball, but it's certainly conceivable that the market value for a women's basketball player would essentially be zero, and thus she would have to take what is offered.

My take, obviously, is that the schools and the NCAA recognize that the value of the athletes would be much higher in a free market and thus want to do everything they can to retain the status quo, which benefits them much, much more than it benefits students and families.

As for the investment made by the colleges, that is a free choice, and if it didn't make sense for colleges to recruit and offer scholarships, they would not do so. No one is forcing San Diego State, say, to get out and recruit women's basketball players -- but they choose to do so. And many of the players they recruit go to other schools before they enroll -- why should it be any different after they enroll?

And of course, coaches and administrators are at a different place in their careers, but so are bosses and employees. The difference in college sports is that there is no way for the employees to be paid what they're worth (whether it be zero or a lot) because the system eliminates or restricts their options.

Again, shouldn't all adults in the same industry have the same options? If coaches can change jobs, if bosses can change jobs, then why shouldn't athletes and employees?

The value of athletes would be much higher in a free market? In what world? The market value for women's basketball players coming out of high school is close to zero and certainly much less than they get in free education. If WNBA pros don't make big bucks why do you think high school kids, ~99% of whom are not going to make a living at basketball, are getting a raw deal when they sign with the school of their choice and get a free education that costs more than many pro players make?

You think schools are going to get into bidding wars for women's basketball players when very few programs make any money and most lose a lot of money? They don't get into bidding wars for math geniuses. They offer them scholarships and academic opportunities, same as for athletes. Undergraduates don't get paid to go to school. They are not employees. Why should athletes be different? They already get more than most students in that lovely free education.

This idea that the player owes nothing to the school that provides them a free education, allows them to play the sport they love, and provides them with coaching and development is odd to me. If playing basketball on the DI level is a burden, the solution is simple - don't do it. Play a lower division or be a regular student and do what you want with your time.

If student-athletes are employees can they be fired, let go if they do not perform, or simply because the coach wants the scholarship for someone else? If that happened you would howl it was unfair I bet. You seem to want the players to get the benefit of freedom with none of the responsibility.

Players are not limited in their options. They choose which college to play for. Some transfer and can play right away. Some have to sit out a year and suffer through an extra year of college, maybe end up with a graduate degree. Boo hoo, such a shame. I bet all the students struggling with loans or working to pay for school feel for them. Yeah, playing college sports can be a tough grind. Props to those who do it. But it is still an amazing opportunity that many would give a lot to be able to do, not a burden, and if it is a burden, stop and pay your own way.

You've made the same argument over and over, and I don't think it resonates with most of us here. I certainly am totally unconvinced. Players are getting something of high monetary value in their scholarships. They are not victims except in the relatively rare cases of abusive coaches and whatnot. I'm not a big fan of the NCAA and some of their rules but I also don't buy this bit that WBB athletes are getting hosed because they can't leave their program in the lurch whenever they feel like it with no consequences. The ties go both ways.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/20/18 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players can be released after one year on scholarship at many schools.

Whatever the value is of women's basketball players -- and I agree it's most likely zero -- let the market decide, not the NCAA and the schools.

And there's no question a scholarship is a valuable benefit, in fact very valuable. For the vast majority of women's basketball players, and perhaps maybe all of them, it's likely an overpayment. But why not let the market decide what a player like Arike Ogunbowale or Sabrina Ionescu is worth? And why should any player have to sit out a year if they transfer?

PostPosted: 06/20/18 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Whatever the value is of women's basketball players -- and I agree it's most likely zero -- let the market decide, not the NCAA and the schools.

And there's no question a scholarship is a valuable benefit, in fact very valuable. For the vast majority of women's basketball players, and perhaps maybe all of them, it's likely an overpayment. But why not let the market decide what a player like Arike Ogunbowale or Sabrina Ionescu is worth? And why should any player have to sit out a year if they transfer?

How does it help players if you let the market decide and the market says zero or close to it? If the vast majority are overpaid by getting a valuable scholarship, your approach suggests they should be paid less so a handful might get a little more. OK, so cut the scholarship money to market and then most pay their own way.

Player sits out a year to prevent impulsive decisions and protect programs that invest time, effort and money in developing a player. Scholarships are limited. If players leave whenever they want with no consequence the whole program could be negatively affected, and that includes teammates. Two way street.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/20/18 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
ClayK wrote:

How does it help players if you let the market decide and the market says zero or close to it? If the vast majority are overpaid by getting a valuable scholarship, your approach suggests they should be paid less so a handful might get a little more. OK, so cut the scholarship money to market and then most pay their own way.

Player sits out a year to prevent impulsive decisions and protect programs that invest time, effort and money in developing a player. Scholarships are limited. If players leave whenever they want with no consequence the whole program could be negatively affected, and that includes teammates. Two way street.

COULD Y'ALL PLEASE TAKE THIS DISCUSSION TO ANOTHER THREAD? THANKS.

PostPosted: 06/20/18 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just thinking the same thing, but for a (probably?) different reason: I'd really like to follow this concept further, and learn more about it from you folks with far more knowledge on it than I can easily find elsewhere.

(And yes, it does distract from the original purpose the thread has served.Razz)

Area 51? New thread here?

PostPosted: 06/21/18 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is old news, but I have not seen it on here. Sydney Tracy, sophomore wing at South Dakota State, has transferred to Pittsburg State in Pittsburg, Kansas (D2). Sydney played a lot her freshman year and contributed well, but played very little her sophomore year.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/22/18 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Christinaki not returning to Maryland... going pro.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/22/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Shocked Wow Coach frese really cant seem to keep any of her talented players happy. Christinaki was only there for half the season and already knows its not the place for her .

PostPosted: 06/22/18 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Shocked Wow Coach frese really cant seem to keep any of her talented players happy. Christinaki was only there for half the season and already knows its not the place for her .

"Any"?? I dunno. I remember a kid named Alyssa Thomas. Oh, and Kristi Toliver.. And Crystal Langhorne. Oh, oh....and....well, you get the picture.

Destiny was maybe her biggest real loss in the category of "those who tried a few games and didn't stay". But. Geno 'lost' EDD, Muff lost Taya Reimer (no, wait....!)

Laughing

PostPosted: 06/22/18 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nebraska has 3 players that will not play this year, per this article

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/womens-basketball/nebraska-women-s-basketball-adds-fiu-grad-transfer-kristian-hudson/article_2f749ddd-d561-5e8a-b152-0edba67640bf.html

Shades

PostPosted: 06/23/18 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Shocked Wow Coach frese really cant seem to keep any of her talented players happy. Christinaki was only there for half the season and already knows its not the place for her.

Much more likely she got an offer she couldn’t refuse.

Quote:
“I am so thankful for everyone at Maryland for the opportunity to be a part of this program,” Christinaki said in the release. “I love my teammates, the coaches and the fans that welcomed me. …

“I want to especially thank Coach Brenda for being a great and supportive coach in every way. She is a coach that listens to her players and wants them all to be successful. Without her, I would not have been able to make some of my dreams come true. My teammates are all great people and I wish them all the success. This team will be very good next year and I will be watching.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/23/18 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The word is that Amber Ramirez formerly of TCU has transferred to Arkansas

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/25/18 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Destiny Harden, 6-0 SO wing is transferring from West Virginia to Miami

stever

PostPosted: 06/26/18 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recee' Caldwell joins Cal as a graduate transfer:

https://bearinsider.com/s/696/caldwell-joins-cal-as-graduate-transfer

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/05/18 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dazia Powell released by UNC. Originally committed to ODU, then decommitted and enrolled at UNC, then took a medical redshirt so has 4 yrs eligibility left.

https://twitter.com/daziaa_11?lang=en

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/11/18 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alex Luehring, 6'2 F, has transferred from Green Bay to Wisconsin. She was a redshirt freshman last season at Green Bay so will have 4 years eligibility left. She is somewhat of a special case as she is from Verona, Wi, a suburb of Madison, and is transferring to be near her father, who was diagnosed with cancer last year. You can read her story here
https://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/women/verona-s-alex-luehring-transfers-from-uw-green-bay-to/article_de69001b-10af-51a9-8d1b-3059ae67d165.html

PostPosted: 07/11/18 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not listed on Georgia Tech's 2018-19 roster:
—Kaylan Pugh, 5-9 JR guard, Memphis, TN (started out at Ohio State)
—Taja Cummings, 5-6 FR point guard, Alpharetta, GA

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1016840740746522624

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 07/20/18 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lela Sellers is no longer listed on the roster for Liberty University. She would be a junior this year, but rumor has it that she is quitting basketball. Very good player, and very nice young lady.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/23/18 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sophomore G Marlee Kyles (Elgin, IL) is leaving the Arizona program for personal reasons. No destination specified at this time.

PostPosted: 07/26/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Freshman Izabela Nicoletti will miss the upcoming season after sustaining a knee injury yesterday.

http://seminoles.com/nicoletti-to-miss-2018-19-season-due-to-injury/

Unfortunate for the noles as many thought she could be the starting PG this season. On the bright side, FSU has plenty of guard options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 16 of 37

Jump to: