RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/20/18 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beginning on Friday night, four games in seven days. At Las Vegas, at L.A., home vs. Phoenix, at Washington. This could sink the season. The Liberty will have to play a lot better than they did last night against a depleted Atlanta roster.

PostPosted: 06/20/18 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boyd's 11 assists last night was a Liberty record, beating T-Spoon's record of 10 assists in 2000.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/20/18 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Boyd's 11 assists last night was a Liberty record, beating T-Spoon's record of 10 assists in 2000.

Thanks for sharing this. Kind of amazing that the team record over 20 years was only 10 assists in a game.

What's especially remarkable was that Boyd had those 11 assists in only 16 minutes, 10 seconds.

PostPosted: 06/20/18 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Our PG situation hasn't been good since Hammon was traded.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 06/20/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I’d seriously prefer Radio City to this.

Then Im sure you have never been to a Liberty game at Radio City !

Other then being in Manhattan and easy to get to ... its NOT a place to
play basketball.

Just Ask Swin Cash whats it like to fall off the stage or the "court"!

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 06/23/18 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it seems the Liberty will be a Lottery team...
what will that mean to their sale value ?

toad455

PostPosted: 06/23/18 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They likely get the #4 pick. Asia Durr? Samuelson? The #15 or #16 could also be useful(a post - Hallie Thome? Kristine Anigwe?). Vaughn & R. Allen go. Coleman can go, too. One of Prince or Rodgers can go(trade for a late first rounder?). Starters for 2019 could be Boyd-Nurse-#4 pick-Charles-Stokes.

PG: Boyd/Hartley
SG: Nurse/Rodgers or Prince/draft pick
SF: #4 pick/Zellous
PF: Charles/Zahui B/Raincock-Ekunwe
C: Stokes/#15 or #16 pick

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/23/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I’d seriously prefer Radio City to this.

Then Im sure you have never been to a Liberty game at Radio City !

Other then being in Manhattan and easy to get to ... its NOT a place to
play basketball.

Just Ask Swin Cash whats it like to fall off the stage or the "court"!

I have been there for Liberty games. I empathize with the player perspective and could understand them not wanting to play there. I didn't even like Radio City myself. It's just that it's a low bar at WCC. I'd imagine that is the case for players too.

PostPosted: 06/24/18 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
They likely get the #4 pick. Asia Durr? Samuelson? The #15 or #16 could also be useful(a post - Hallie Thome? Kristine Anigwe?). Vaughn & R. Allen go. Coleman can go, too. One of Prince or Rodgers can go(trade for a late first rounder?). Starters for 2019 could be Boyd-Nurse-#4 pick-Charles-Stokes.

PG: Boyd/Hartley
SG: Nurse/Rodgers or Prince/draft pick
SF: #4 pick/Zellous
PF: Charles/Zahui B/Raincock-Ekunwe
C: Stokes/#15 or #16 pick

I am also curious how our contracts play out next year

Boyd, Zahui B and R. Allen will all be RFA

Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe will be reserved (But are we showing her a team she would want to come to?)

I have no idea how long their previous contracts were but

Rodgers, Zellous and Prince are all a couple years or more from their last sighing and could all be UFA IDK

Hartley re-signed this year so I would guess she got multiple years

Stokes signed an extension this off season so I'm sure she has a couple more years

Coleman and Vaughn both signed this year but I could see the team or the player only signing one year deals, the team not being sure how many years they are willing to commit to a mid level vet, or the player thinking they might have a good enough year to up their pay grade after this season. while it is not out of the question I doubt either are on max deals ATM.

Charles, this is an interesting one, she was cored, if she simply signed her core contract that is one year at max. I think she may have done that if she is uncertain about the teams future. If the team folds she becomes an UFA and most likely avoids the dispersal draft and can choose her next destination unless the CBA allows teams to select UFA in the dispersal draft and then core them. If the team relocates they could core her again but that is a better position for her to demand a trade if she is unhappy with the relocation than being straight up under contract. The team may have went along with this because if they stay in NY they can always re-sign her as she seems to want to be here, and they can still core her either way.

Nurse is on her rookie contract.

So it could be

Hartley/?
Nurse/?/?
Draft pick/?
Charles/?/?
Stokes/Draft pick

toad455

PostPosted: 06/24/18 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think Boyd & Zahui B get an extension thanks to their improved play. Raincock-Ekunwe returns. Zellous is our best veteran guard. Coleman's likely as one year filler. One of Rodgers or Prince can go. Vaughn goes as long as we draft a post in the 2nd round.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 06/24/18 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
i think Boyd & Zahui B get an extension thanks to their improved play. Raincock-Ekunwe returns. Zellous is our best veteran guard. Coleman's likely as one year filler. One of Rodgers or Prince can go. Vaughn goes as long as we draft a post in the 2nd round.

I miss Nayo Sad she definitely could of helped our rebounding with her athletic ability and speed

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/24/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not sold on Boyd or Zahui B yet.

Boyd looks amazing bringing the ball up and her passing and handle are the best on our team. But until she can hit a lay up, shoot close to 40 percent and score more than 4 PPG I don't think she a too valuable. If she gets her offense back by seasons end then yes she is our future starter but for now we still need Hartley at the 1 half the time to keep the opposing team defense on its toes.

Zahui has to do it every game for 20 minutes a night as opposed to every 3rd game 10 minutes a night before Im convinced. She did look for her shot last game and looked like a player.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/24/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I am not sold on Boyd or Zahui B yet.

Boyd looks amazing bringing the ball up and her passing and handle are the best on our team. But until she can hit a lay up, shoot close to 40 percent and score more than 4 PPG I don't think she a too valuable. If she gets her offense back by seasons end then yes she is our future starter but for now we still need Hartley at the 1 half the time to keep the opposing team defense on its toes.

Zahui has to do it every game for 20 minutes a night as opposed to every 3rd game 10 minutes a night before Im convinced. She did look for her shot last game and looked like a player.

Completely agree. Both have had some very encouraging moments this season. But there's no reason to be "sold" on either of them yet.

I'd give Boyd a lot of minutes to see what she can do and whether being on the court more will help her offense. I like Bria Hartley, but she's not a starting point guard (or a starting #2). She's a decent bench player. That's all. The team isn't going anywhere with Hartley.

A final question. How can Brittany Boyd miss SO many layups? I just don't get that.

PostPosted: 06/24/18 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In a famous moment of New York basketball that some here will be too young to remember, Micheal (correct spelling) Ray Richardson said of his 1981-1982 New York Knicks team: "The ship be sinking!"

I hate to say this, but so is ours.

PostPosted: 06/24/18 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yep. we seriously look like the worst team in the league right now. How sad. I have to wonder if the Liberty are still in Westchester next season if Charles opts to go elsewhere?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/25/18 1:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was mostly well after the game was lost but Boyd and Zahui B really stepped up.

During the last two Aces game one thing that crossed my mind was how excited the Aces looked and how uninspired the Liberty looked. Players like Wilson, McBride, Young and even Hamby and Plum looked like they has something to prove while the Liberty players looked discouraged, maybe it is a product of the move to Westchester and the uncertainty.

So it was cool to see Boyd and Zahui attacking and looking like they were trying to prove something even in a humiliating loss. I think with how some of the vets are struggling why not fast forward the youth movement.

Next game I would love to see a starting line up and majority of minutes go to

Boyd, Hartley, Nurse, Charles and Zahui B

Boyd is starting to cook but you need the best offensive players on the floor with her and I think that line ATM is the strongest scorers at their positions.

Then let the vets come in off the bench and try and prove themselves, but if we're going to struggle I would rather give the players who are part of the future and playing with heart and energy more time to develop.

If Zahui B and Boyd can bring what they brought in garbage time 20 down to tip off we might have some hope yet.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/25/18 5:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Zahui B shouldn't be starting at C. Neither Vaughn or Stokes can cover Tina at the 4. I'd like to see Zahui B play 10 minutes at PF & 10 at C.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/25/18 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that's always been one of Zahui B's problems in New York - neither Laimbeer nor Smith has been convinced that she can play extended minutes next to Charles (call whichever one you want the center in that scenario). And if you can't do that, you're inevitably restricted in how useful you can be on the Liberty.

She could at least have had the sort of season Izzy Harrison had last year if she was on a team that would give her the minutes and live with the negatives.

PostPosted: 06/25/18 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

If Zahui B and Boyd can bring what they brought in garbage time 20 down to tip off we might have some hope yet.

sometimes the reason players are effective off the bench is because they are playing other off-the-bench players...so it doesn't always translate into starter effectiveness. Boyd reminds me a bit of DRob when she came into the league. Really really quick, out of control, can't shoot for shit. Well, DRob at least was a really good FT shooter str8 out of college. Boyd had really good assist numbers in this game but I wasn't watching so don't know how she got them. Back in her Cal days, she could look like a superstar one game and a total loser in the next...so maybe if she can develop more consistency, there is hope. But my expectations are tempered by memory.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 06/25/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was no garbage time in the Atlanta game. Boyd had 11 assists in just 16 minutes. That was with only one turnover against an Atlanta team that leads the league in forced turnovers. Just one game, but awfully good to be simply a matter of luck.

PostPosted: 06/25/18 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
There was no garbage time in the Atlanta game. Boyd had 11 assists in just 16 minutes. That was with only one turnover against an Atlanta team that leads the league in forced turnovers. Just one game, but awfully good to be simply a matter of luck.

That was such a remarkable stat: 11 assists in 16 minutes!!! It's impressive to get 11 assists in 30+ minutes.

PostPosted: 06/25/18 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

That was such a remarkable stat: 11 assists in 16 minutes!!! It's impressive to get 11 assists in 30+ minutes.

Obviously, it's not something anybody can do regularly. However, it underlines the fact that Boyd has legitimate skill as a playmaker and that she has developed the decision-making part of her game since her rookie season. Even though Brittany missed time physically, she sat behind the Liberty bench and continued to learn just by watching. So the lost court time may not have hindered her development as much as we feared.

PostPosted: 06/25/18 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good News--- Marissa Coleman is out for tomorrow night's home game against Phoenix. per--Pat Ralph on twitter

this means more mins for Nurse, the way it should of been from the beginning when we were "actually" in close games and playing hard.

maybe Boyd will get mins as well who is "actually" playing well.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/25/18 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Obviously, it's not something anybody can do regularly. However, it underlines the fact that Boyd has legitimate skill as a playmaker and that she has developed the decision-making part of her game since her rookie season. Even though Brittany missed time physically, she sat behind the Liberty bench and continued to learn just by watching. So the lost court time may not have hindered her development as much as we feared.

Very good observations. When Boyd first came on the scene for the Liberty, what was most impressive was the way she could blaze down the court right by people. Now she's showing she can play under control and make a beautiful pass the way one hopes a point guard will. Boyd remains a work in progress, but she HAS progressed substantially as a playmaker.

PostPosted: 06/25/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Good News--- Marissa Coleman is out for tomorrow night's home game against Phoenix. per--Pat Ralph on twitter

this means more mins for Nurse, the way it should of been from the beginning when we were "actually" in close games and playing hard.

maybe Boyd will get mins as well who is "actually" playing well.

We're the only fans in the league who hope for injuries because fewer options mean our coach gets less confused. Razz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 70 of 90

Jump to: