RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The W is Making More 3-pointers Than Ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 06/21/18 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even the best spot shooters need more to their game or they wind up playing minimal minutes. One dimensional players like Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough are only getting 10-12 minutes a game and they're shooting well.

PostPosted: 06/21/18 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Houston Rockets are basically what you're describing. Threes and layups.

That's the Tiffany Hayes game for sure.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/21/18 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of the factors Glen mentions apply, but they still don't negate the strategic (analytical) advantage of three-point shots.

There is one commonly held belief that I'm not sure applies -- long rebounds. People say it, but one study I saw some time ago did not support it. I'm not convinced three-pointers generate significantly more long rebounds than midrange jumpers, though they certainly do so more than shots at the rim. And don't forget the now-common rebounding technique of back-tapping, which also pushes missed shots away from the rim.

The case for three-pointers is Darwinian -- if shooting them at the present pace was not the best way to win, strategies would change. But since they have been added to the game, there has been a steady shift to more threes and fewer post moves. At some point, of course, the tipping point is reached, and too many threes will be shot, and the pendulum will swing back. I'm not convinced that point has been reached yet, however.

But we're definitely getting close.

PostPosted: 06/21/18 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing is, in NBA terms, historicaly when 'too many' threes are being taken - and therefore the shot is deemed too easy - they move the line back. Whenever I catch a little NCAA men's basketball, it looks ridiculous to me that they're giving out three points for mid-range jumpshots. But the NBA has pretty much run out of room. They can't go any further back in the corners and still leave enough room for a standard NBA foot. To be honest, I think they might've already pushed it back a bit further if the court was wider and allowed it.

But unless they're going to remove the corner 3 - which at this point would be a big change to the NBA game - the next shift to the arc is going to entail a lot of work, and a league edict. I think the court could do with being wider even if they don't move the arc, but either way you're going to have to talk teams into it when it means losing a row or two of premium seats.

PostPosted: 06/21/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Simple solution is to just change the shape of the arc to just eliminate the corner 3.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/21/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Simple solution is to just change the shape of the arc to just eliminate the corner 3.

Like I said, that'd be a big change to the NBA game these days. That's the shot lots of players have developed in order to become useful role players on the offensive end, and the shot that drivers are looking to kick to as their first option when defenses collapse. Make that shot worth only two and you change a lot of NBA dynamics. Which might not necessarily be a bad thing, but inevitably makes it more difficult to introduce, because big changes like that are always met with reluctance.

PostPosted: 06/21/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
big changes like that are always met with reluctance.

Look how long it took for the NBA to adopt the three point line in the first place. The concept had been around since the 1940's and used in other pro leagues since the early 1960's. The NBA didn't add it until 1979.

PostPosted: 06/21/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So far, no one's refuted my primary argument: that teams who emphasize a paint attack and other short shots will draw a lot more fouls than teams who emphasize an arc attack.

And I stand by my original suggestion that many teams who shoot a lot of threes -- or "too many" threes -- are doing so, not because they have an abundance of high 3FG% shooters and are playing the arithmetic odds; but are doing so simply because they don't know how to effectively run, or don't have the players to run, a sophisticated paint attack offense.

I don't sense any animosity toward the three-point shot these days. I think there are exactly 17 of us remaining in the world who preferred the two-point era. Today, the tactical argument is how much of a three-point attack a given team should employ, which (non-simplistically) is what I think we are really doing in this discussion.

As to the "excitement" factor of the three-point shot. I don't find it exciting if it is missed 68% of the time. If we are going to have a three-point shot, and of course we are, it should be easier to make. I advocate bringing the three-point line in closer, so that the average outside shooter can hit about 36% and very good shooters can hit 40%. Therefore, I would support making the WBB line at all levels consistent with the WCBB distance.

Now, as to the SIZE of the court. For at least 25 years I have thought the men's court has become too small, given the size, speed and athleticism of modern men players. Men's courts (esp. NBA) should be 10 feet longer, five feet wider, and have a basket that is 9" higher.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 06/21/18 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally I want it all. One without the other is boring. The best basketball IMO is where you have players that are versatile and difficult to guard as they can shoot with range and do the other stuff. Players without a shot are easy to take charges on and left out on their own with none to pass too. Those players are open for a reason.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/21/18 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
So far, no one's refuted my primary argument: that teams who emphasize a paint attack and other short shots will draw a lot more fouls than teams who emphasize an arc attack.

There's not much to refute about that IMO. To me it's common sense that defending post moves is inherently more foul-risky than defending perimeter shots.
It's difficult to extrapolate too much from that simple fact though. Successfully getting the ball in a timely manner to a player in a threatening position who has the ability to worry defenders with her ability to convert possessions into baskets is easier said than done.

PostPosted: 06/21/18 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The flip side of the drawing fouls argument is that you are much more dependent on the refs calling the fouls. Some nights they do and some nights they don't. So how the game is being called can have a disproportionate effect. Some nights Tip and Angel live at the line, other nights they seldom get there.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/21/18 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Similarly, no one's refuted the argument that 3 > 2.

But it was pointed out that the teams appear to be deciding that increasing 3-pointers is the way to go.

ClayK wrote:
Unless you subscribe to the theory that WNBA coaches and GMs don't care about winning, or are too stupid to pursue winning strategies, then the rise in three-pointers is recognition that, even at 32.9%, you will give yourself a better chance to win taking those threes than not taking them.

In the NBA coaches, Steve Kerr and the Warriors are dominating the game by emphasizing 3 pointers. The other leading team in the NBA, the Houston Rockets also emphasized 3 pointers.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/22/18 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is no question that interior plays draw more fouls, but ...

I'll talk about the high school level here, but it's true to a lesser extent at the higher levels.

One game we took 42 threes (in 32 minutes, I must point out) and made 13. There was some criticism (we won, however) about our willingness to take threes and not draw fouls, give up long rebounds, etc.

Consider, however, the actual process involved. Most threes come from perimeter screens and passes that are not contested, or at least not intensely contested. There are few turnovers making a pass for a three, and given the offense we ran, we relied on picks on and off the ball to get open, thus minimizing the number of passes.

But let's say, instead of taking those 42 threes, we looked to the paint to score. First, we have to work the ball to the wing, and let's assume that's as risky (which is to say not much) as perimeter passing to set up a three.

The wing has the ball -- now she has to enter to the post. Entry passes are not easy, and are contested by both the on-ball defender and the post defender. And lobs are contested by the weak-side defender. All of this means you will turn the ball over more trying to get the ball to the post. Let's be generous: On those 42 possessions, the entry pass is poor five times.

Post players are not noted for their great hands or ballhandling skills, and they will turn the ball over either trying to catch it, or trying to score. Call it another five turnovers, so we're down to 32 possessions.

Then there are a couple offensive fouls, which will not only turn the ball over but also put the post player in danger of going to the bench. We'll call it one, and we're down to 31.

So the post player now gets off 31 contested shots, as the wing is digging down, and the post defender is working hard. An elite post will draw weakside help, and many posts do not pass well out of double teams, so they shoot the ball. But let's say the post player makes 51.6% of her shots -- that's 32 points. She gets some free throws -- give her five -- and she has 37.

The 13 threes on those 42 shots generated 39 points. And in addition, if you take 42 threes, you'll probably get three free throws at some point, and make two. We're at 41.

And let's not forget the turnovers, which generate points for the opposition. One point per possession would mean another five points, to 46.

To get 46 points from 42 post entries, we need to add five free throws (up to ten made, which means at least 15 attempts) and a defended post shooting percentage of 58%.

If you're still with me (and I don't blame you if you left long ago), it's pretty clear that there's not a great deal of difference between the 42 threes and the 42 attempted post entries. On top of that, it's way easier to defend a post player, who's getting the ball on one of two spots on the floor, than it is to defend three-point shooters, who can be anywhere beyond the arc.

Again, coaches and GMs may be slow on the analytic uptake, but they are not stupid. A winning strategy is a winning strategy, and will be adopted.

There is a lot to like about a well-run offense that generates wide-open layups through offball movement and precision passing, but it's very, very difficult to make that work unless you have two good entry passers (hard to find) and a skilled post player. I could go on, but I think that's more than enough ...

PostPosted: 06/22/18 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
There is a lot to like about a well-run offense that generates wide-open layups through offball movement and precision passing, but it's very, very difficult to make that work unless you have two good entry passers (hard to find) and a skilled post player.

It also takes chemistry, organisation and practice time. Especially at lower levels, I could understand a coach who has limited time with his/her players telling them to practise their shooting on their own time in the hope that the three-point shooting will improve - rather than trying to get intricate movement and passing to work.

On a more general point, the vast majority of teams don't want this to be an either/or proposition. You want layups/dunks, free throws and threes. That's the progression in the NBA that teams like Golden State and Houston are pushing forward. It's the mid-range twos which are only 'good shots' for people who can hit them at a significantly higher percentage than average - so teams want to stop taking them.

PostPosted: 06/22/18 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I'll talk about the high school level here

I've never seen a girl's high school team run what I call a sophisticated half court paint attack offense.

Even on teams with star players, the rest of the players are too crappy to execute things like entry passes -- much less crisp two- and three man games -- and the high school coaching is usually mediocre. High school girl teams with star players are mostly exercises in isolation play and ball domination by the star. High school girl teams without stars are mostly exercises in spastic mediocrity.

The relevant discussion to this topic is the efficacy of a lot of three-point shots in the WNBA, not high school or the NBA. I don't think there are a lot of top three-point percentage shooters at the WNBA arc distance. Currently, only eight players out of 144 are hitting over 40%, according to ESPN's stats.
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/23/18 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the problems at the WNBA level, in terms of running the kind of offense you're talking about, are two-fold:

1) The 24-second clock. I remember John Whisenant telling me he had to change his offense almost completely when the clock dropped to 24 from 30. There just isn't time to do too much.

2) Lack of practice time. If WNBA teams had their whole roster for three weeks of preseason camp, then you could start to implement some things, but since starters often arrive a day or two before (or after) the season starts, it's almost impossible to do.

Which leads to a third point: NBA teams could conceivably do it, but choose not to -- and Darwin speaks loudly here.

Finally, even WNBA teams would be hard-pressed to find room for multiple players who can make quality entry passes under pressure. The turnover problem in the paint is definitely an issue as well.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: