Mercury
65%
 65%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 26

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/22/18 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dear Merc, our team is in the orange.

PostPosted: 06/22/18 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Can you shot fake at the freethrow line?

PostPosted: 06/22/18 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Laughing Can you shot fake at the freethrow line?

Ask EDD she can do alot of unprecedented things. Laughing

PostPosted: 06/22/18 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx used to be one of my favorite teams before they became thugs. The Lynx must have hired these refs. Granted the Merc didn't play their best game but the Lynx had a lot of fouls which were not called. Sy has become a very physical player who should have been called many times for things she did.

adamj95

PostPosted: 06/22/18 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
The Lynx used to be one of my favorite teams before they became thugs. The Lynx must have hired these refs. Granted the Merc didn't play their best game but the Lynx had a lot of fouls which were not called. Sy has become a very physical player who should have been called many times for things she did.

Thugs? Okay Laughing

PostPosted: 06/22/18 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:

This game was called tight, so I don't know what you are talking about. And the Lynx were called for significantly more fouls than the Merc were: 24 to 18 (which is even worse when you consider that the Merc started fouling with a minute left in the game).

Personally, I think basketball is at its best when they allow teams to be physical with one another. When they don't, there is too much of an advantage to teams like the Lynx and Mercury who have a true dominate center. Look how impossible it was for Fagbenle to try and guard Griner as they called her for every little bump, and then when she played off Griner just went over her for an easy 2. Physical play is the answer for that, and the best teams are physical as hell.

PostPosted: 06/23/18 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
What was that embarrassing fall down for no reason by Augustus? Confused

That’s what happens when your age (basketball years) catches up with you. What was worse is that Little stole the ball and fell down herself. 😂

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/23/18 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen played well -- and when she plays like it's 2015, the Lynx are very good.

PostPosted: 06/23/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When your biggest defensive liability gets 5 steals, you know it’s your night.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/23/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Whalen played well -- and when she plays like it's 2015, the Lynx are very good.

My thought exactly.

Didn’t help that Bonner took a stupid pill before the game.

PostPosted: 06/23/18 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

This game was called tight, so I don't know what you are talking about. And the Lynx were called for significantly more fouls than the Merc were: 24 to 18 (which is even worse when you consider that the Merc started fouling with a minute left in the game).

Personally, I think basketball is at its best when they allow teams to be physical with one another. When they don't, there is too much of an advantage to teams like the Lynx and Mercury who have a true dominate center. Look how impossible it was for Fagbenle to try and guard Griner as they called her for every little bump, and then when she played off Griner just went over her for an easy 2. Physical play is the answer for that, and the best teams are physical as hell.

This!! The game was called right. The girls were allowed to play. Bad/missed calls at both ends. The Mercury got away with a few fouls themselves.

Bottom line, the Lynx hit their shots and the Mercury didn't. It looked like the Mercury were trying to force things instead of letting the game come to them. There is one more matchup in Phoenix to determine the tie breaker if a tie breaker is needed.

The Mercury started their win streak with a win at Minny, if it had to end, then this is okay with me.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/23/18 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe this should have its own thread, but since the subject has come up, what exactly (or at least approximately) is the definition of the proper level of "physical" play? What is excessive physical play? What is "dirty' play?

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/23/18 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's my definition of physical vs dirty.
Physical means 1) lots of arm bar pushing to try to keep someone out of the paint; 2) bodying up; 3) double team sandwiches.
Dirty means little surreptitious things like 1)pulling on someone's shorts; 2) yanking someone's ponytail; 3) Stepping on a foot to prevent movement; 4) pushing in the back on a shot attempt; 5) locking arms and pretending it wasn't you that initiated it; 6)'accidentally' poking someone in the face (this is less frequent now with all the reviews in place).
A good example of dirty would be to watch PPP in some of her old games.
Then there is the even more extreme version of punching, tripping, shoving, elbowing but those are usually obvious enough to be caught.

- Amanda Gorman
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 06/23/18 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good gm by Whalen & the Minny played good.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/23/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Here's my definition of physical vs dirty.
Physical means 1) lots of arm bar pushing to try to keep someone out of the paint; 2) bodying up; 3) double team sandwiches.
Dirty means little surreptitious things like 1)pulling on someone's shorts; 2) yanking someone's ponytail; 3) Stepping on a foot to prevent movement; 4) pushing in the back on a shot attempt; 5) locking arms and pretending it wasn't you that initiated it; 6)'accidentally' poking someone in the face (this is less frequent now with all the reviews in place).
A good example of dirty would be to watch PPP in some of her old games.
Then there is the even more extreme version of punching, tripping, shoving, elbowing but those are usually obvious enough to be caught.

Good definitions. I always sort of thought a dirty player was trying to hurt players on the other team, or the least, didn't mind if they did. So for me it kind of comes down to what is the intent? Which is hard to discern.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/23/18 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Maybe this should have its own thread, but since the subject has come up, what exactly (or at least approximately) is the definition of the proper level of "physical" play? What is excessive physical play? What is "dirty' play?

Physical play is when a team does a smart job of pushing the amount of contact to the limit without regularly overstepping it; set a lot of picks; crash the boards; swarm the more dangerous opponents; accept contact themselves without whining about it or flopping.
"Dirty play", most times when used on social media, is just when the other team does the above and your team loses to them.

PostPosted: 06/23/18 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brings to mind my interpretation of the fan's phase - "Let them play ref.." It means "Let my players foul their players ref...."

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/24/18 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having just finished a camp, I've recently tried to tell middle schoolers about a lot of things, and physicality is a big one. (Our high school team lost in the state final four because we got out-physicalled by a team we had beaten earlier in the year ... they adjusted, we didn't.)

The first thing, of course, is to gauge the officiating. You want to be as physical as the whistles will allow, as the definition of a foul is when the ref blows the whistle.

From an officiating point of view, a primary job is to control the game, and if there's too much physicality/"dirty play", then you get staredowns, trash talk and even scuffles. On the other hand, you want to the players to decide the game, so usually refs will allow physicality that doesn't gain an obvious advantage -- but if that physicality threatens to spiral the game out of control, it has to be stopped.

And of course refs, like players, have good and bad games, and that's factor too.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: