81%
 81%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 16

tfan

PostPosted: 06/20/18 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Randy wrote:
tfan wrote:
Wasn't this the second time Bird has sat on the bench in uniform (why is she in uniform if she isn't going to play - note, they lost this game???) because she needs rest? Is she taking practices off too between these games where she needs a rest? Sounds like it is time for her to retire if she can't play more than 5 games in a row.

Looks like you are right. Stormy's have lost 4 and won 8 games but Bird only played in 10. They lost both games she didn't play.

They're clearly a better team with her on the court.
Therefore ... she should retire ? Confused

I said retire because it just seems ridiculous. A 40 minute game takes 2 hours to play - it is mostly breaks, not play, going on and there are substitutions. Bird is so worn out a handful of games into the season that she can't even come off the bench for a game and then the fatigue sets in a handful of games later again? If she's that tired and/or sore, have her spend the game in the locker room getting massaged and drinking energy drinks. Most of the days in the season are not game days. Hopefully she is not practicing this year (practice probably involves more than 40 minutes of activity for 2 hours) due to her fatigue/exhaustion issues so that practice time doesn't limit her ability to play in games.

But one thing that hadn't previously occurred to me with regard to "dressing but not playing in losing games" - she could be dressed only for the single purpose of coming in for a last second play in a close game.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/21/18 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Bird needs a pep talk from Tina Thompson. Tina played every game her final year at the ripe old age of 38. She played 28.7 minutes and averaged about 14/6.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/21/18 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Gregg Popovich resting his veteran players in the past so that they are fresh for the playoffs and most of the people say its a very smart move and noone says anything about Duncan, Manu having to retire. Hughes resting Bird for her 2nd game and you get this BS that she needs to retire if she cant handle it bla bla Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

It looks like the Storm are going to make the playoffs so they need her more in those games then now. The Storm clearly play better with her on the floor but she had a lot of injuries in the past and she is older so i think its a very good idea to rest her in some games. Also i think she was dealing with back spasms in that first game that she sat. She has been wearing a heating pad for her back this season when she is on the bench.
They probably made a plan before the season started how they could keep her fresh. Resting her in games against teams who are not fighting for a playoff spot is good IMO

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 06/21/18 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Coach Gregg Popovich resting his veteran players in the past so that they are fresh for the playoffs and most of the people say its a very smart move and noone says anything about Duncan, Manu having to retire. Hughes resting Bird for her 2nd game and you get this BS that she needs to retire if she cant handle it bla bla Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

The NBA season is longer and has a lower percentage of off days. The 2017-18 NBA season was 177 days long and teams played 82 games. That makes almost half the days game days. The 2018 WNBA season is 93 days long and teams play 34 games. That makes just over a third of the days game days.

PostPosted: 06/21/18 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

The NBA season is longer and has a lower percentage of off days. The 2017-18 NBA season was 177 days long and teams played 82 games. That makes almost half the days game days. The 2018 WNBA season is 93 days long and teams play 34 games. That makes just over a third of the days game days.

Yes i know but it doesnt change the fact that its a smart move to do if you want your older players fresh at the end of the season. Certainly a veteran who has been dealing with a lot of injuries in the past 5 years.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
tfan

PostPosted: 06/21/18 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Coach Gregg Popovich resting his veteran players in the past so that they are fresh for the playoffs and most of the people say its a very smart move and no one says anything about Duncan, Manu having to retire. Hughes resting Bird for her 2nd game and you get this BS that she needs to retire if she cant handle it bla bla Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Do the NBA players sit on the bench in uniform when they are resting? That is what struck me the other night - the camera went in on an in-uniform Bird looking disappointed at the end of the game as she got up off the bench.

I am familiar with resting WNBA players at the end of the season when playoff spots have been determined and the playoffs are looming. I recall the Lynx doing that with their National Team members before. But haven't seen resting players right from the get go. In the NBA it is getting more common, led by Popovich, the "guru of rest" (somebody Hughes probably bumped into down in San Antonio). His former assistants are also doing it, but there are other coaches as well. And it is becoming more frequent, and happening more before April .

In response, the NBA passed a rule that teams will be fined if they rest healthy players for "high profile nationally televised games". But one study says that Skipping regular season games may have little effect on playoff performance and injury prevention, but there are criticisms of it.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/21/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Coach Gregg Popovich resting his veteran players in the past so that they are fresh for the playoffs and most of the people say its a very smart move and no one says anything about Duncan, Manu having to retire. Hughes resting Bird for her 2nd game and you get this BS that she needs to retire if she cant handle it bla bla Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Do the NBA players sit on the bench in uniform when they are resting? That is what struck me the other night - the camera went in on an in-uniform Bird looking disappointed at the end of the game as she got up off the bench.

I am familiar with resting WNBA players at the end of the season when playoff spots have been determined and the playoffs are looming. I recall the Lynx doing that with their National Team members before. But haven't seen resting players right from the get go. In the NBA it is getting more common, led by Popovich, the "guru of rest" (somebody Hughes probably bumped into down in San Antonio). His former assistants are also doing it, but there are other coaches as well. And it is becoming more frequent, and happening more before April .

In response, the NBA passed a rule that teams will be fined if they rest healthy players for "high profile nationally televised games". But one study says that Skipping regular season games may have little effect on playoff performance and injury prevention, but there are criticisms of it.

The NBA has 82 games compared to 34. A player sitting out one game misses 1.22% of the NBA season compared to 2.94% of the WNBA season. That is a notable difference.

norwester

PostPosted: 06/21/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, with Bird's shooting percentage being so low for a couple of games I was worried she'd tweaked something in her legs (though it could be the ol' back spasms), so rather than just randomly resting her I was thinking it was probably precautionary.

PostPosted: 06/21/18 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Does it matter that she was in uniform? Did anyone see her warming up with the team? They probably didnt announce her being out till the end so that the other team couldnt adjust. Langhorne did a warming up with the team a couple games ago and then changed into her normal clothes after that and didnt play. So maybe its just a personal choice from Bird to be in uniform with the rest of her team

so-many-pickles

PostPosted: 06/21/18 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read somewhere (Seattle Times, maybe) that it was Hughes' decision to rest Bird both times.

sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 06/22/18 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so-many-pickles wrote:
I read somewhere (Seattle Times, maybe) that it was Hughes' decision to rest Bird both times.

Found this in the Seattle Times today:

"Sue Bird, who ranks fourth all-time in WNBA games played, prides herself on being durable.

With that in mind, the Storm star point guard cleared up a misperception on why she missed last Tuesday’s 89-77 upset loss to Las Vegas.

After the game, the team indicated she needed time to rest, which told only half of the story.

“It’s not like I wake up that day and say, ‘Hey, guys, I need a day off,’” Bird said, laughing following Thursday’s workout. “There was a moment in practice — full disclosure here — where I tweaked my knee a little bit. It was enough to where we waited to see how it would respond for 24 hours.

“It’s tough decisions to make. Trust me, but you have to think big picture and it was a scenario I needed to let it calm down. And then you see me today and I’m fine. So it’s like do you miss one game and you’re good for the rest of the season, hopefully, or is it something that you let linger and you’re impacted for 10-15 weeks?”

#NATC

PostPosted: 06/22/18 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for relaying that. I guess the nonsense can end now.

PostPosted: 06/22/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

The nonsense could have never started if Seattle broadcast that she had a knee issue and not a rest issue. They should ask her about her first rest day to see if she has another explanation as well.

Last edited by tfan on 06/22/18 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/22/18 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

The "nonsense" could have never started if Seattle broadcast that she had a knee issue and not a rest issue. There may be a retro-active reason for her first rest day as well.

It's definitely annoying how little info we get (and how late we get it) from WNBA teams

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: