RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Where Would You Rank A'ja Wilson Among The Centers in the W?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 06/20/18 9:44 am    ::: Where Would You Rank A'ja Wilson Among The Centers in the W? Reply Reply with quote

Of course, there's Fowles and then everyone else.

Where would you rank A'ja Wilson among the other top centers (i.e. Cambage, Charles, Griner, etc.)?

PostPosted: 06/20/18 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too early IMO for any kind of meaningful ranking at this point of her career, but wow 21 & 8 is one heck of a start. She has been so impressive stepping up to this level.

PostPosted: 06/20/18 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now - 4th behind the Big 3.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/20/18 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Behind them all still . Give it a few years then maybe we can compare. Shes not a real center , the prime definition of Power Forward !

PostPosted: 06/20/18 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She’s more of a PF like how Charles is being used. If you want to use the more generic “post player”, she’s doing very well as I was expecting. Not really surprised.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 06/20/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Behind them all still . Give it a few years then maybe we can compare. Shes not a real center , the prime definition of Power Forward !

It is common for PF's to play center in the WNBA though. Stewart, Chiney, Nneka (or is it Parker?) come to mind.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/20/18 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

It is common for PF's to play center in the WNBA though. Stewart, Chiney, Nneka (or is it Parker?) come to mind.

But it's not where she is playing, and likely never will. She's much more effective as a PF.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 06/20/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

But it's not where she is playing, and likely never will. She's much more effective as a PF.

Since Laimbeer is the one who moved Charles from center to power forward, I agree it's unlikely that Wilson will ever play center regularly. Bill specifically said that he brought in Bone and Swords because he wanted more "beef". After that, he drafted Park who looks a lot stronger than she did two years ago at the Olympics. Given that JiSu is the second youngest player in the history of the league and already starting, she could be holding down that center position for a long, long time.

PostPosted: 06/20/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
[ Given that JiSu is the second youngest player in the history of the league and already starting, she could be holding down that center position for a long, long time.

She’s starting over castoffs, Swords and Bone. I’m curious what would happen if the Aces would land a Top 2 pick in the 2019 draft.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 06/20/18 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 06/20/18 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my opinion, there is really no such thing as power forward and center in the WNBA anymore. I’d consider most 4’s to be 4/5’s at this point. Parker is a 4 but plays the 5, Chiney is a 4 that plays the 5, Wilson is a 4 thats playing the 5, Charles is a 5 that’s playing the 4. Stewart is a 4 that’s played the 5. EDD is a 4 that has and still plays the 5 at times. Who else? There’s only a small handful of starting 5’s that are TRUE 5’s and only 5’s. Griner, Fowles, Cambage...

I don’t consider Wilson a 5 at all. I still don’t consider Charles a 4 at all. I don’t consider Parker a 5 either.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/20/18 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
[ Given that JiSu is the second youngest player in the history of the league and already starting, she could be holding down that center position for a long, long time.

She’s starting over castoffs, Swords and Bones. I’m curious what would happen if the Aces would land a Top 2 pick in the 2019 draft.

OK, but does that move Wilson to center? It only makes it less likely, which was the point I was making.

PostPosted: 06/20/18 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Since Laimbeer is the one who moved Charles from center to power forward, I agree it's unlikely that Wilson will ever play center regularly. Bill specifically said that he brought in Bone and Swords because he wanted more "beef". After that, he drafted Park who looks a lot stronger than she did two years ago at the Olympics. Given that JiSu is the second youngest player in the history of the league and already starting, she could be holding down that center position for a long, long time.

Who is the youngest ever to play in the WNBA?
pilight

PostPosted: 06/20/18 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
root_thing wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Who is the youngest ever to play in the WNBA?

Maria Stepanova

PostPosted: 06/20/18 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A better question would be Wilson compared to the other 4's who occasionally play 5's.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/20/18 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson compared to other starting PFs.

1. Charles
2. Stewart
3. Candace Parker
4. Wilson
5. A. Thomas
6. Delle Donne
7. Dupree
8. Breland
9. Brunson
10. Thornton
11. Lyttle
12. G. Williams

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/20/18 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

1. Charles
2. Stewart
3. Candace Parker
4. Wilson
5. A. Thomas
6. Delle Donne
7. Dupree
8. Breland
9. Brunson
10. Thornton
11. Lyttle
12. G. Williams

Why would you use Thornton and not Glory ?

PostPosted: 06/20/18 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

1. Charles
2. Stewart
3. Candace Parker
4. Wilson
5. A. Thomas
6. Delle Donne
7. Dupree
8. Breland
9. Brunson
10. Thornton
11. Lyttle
12. G. Williams

Jokes???

toad455

PostPosted: 06/20/18 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

1. Charles
2. Stewart
3. Candace Parker
4. Wilson
5. A. Thomas
6. Delle Donne
7. Dupree
8. Breland
9. Brunson
10. Thornton
11. Lyttle
12. G. Williams

Thornton is still starting, not Glory.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/20/18 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

1. Charles
2. Stewart
3. Candace Parker
4. Wilson
5. A. Thomas
6. Delle Donne
7. Dupree
8. Breland
9. Brunson
10. Thornton
11. Lyttle
12. G. Williams

Thornton is still starting, not Glory.

Realistically Glory is our starter so she should be compared . Thornton has been starting only for this season due to Glory's Injury So comparing Thornton would be easy.

PostPosted: 06/20/18 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laimbeer is doing everything he can to avoid playing her at center...

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/20/18 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never been enamored of analyzing players by numerals or positional names. It's skills that count.

However, if forced to define a center, I would emphasize the skill of playing back-to-the-basket and having a repertoire of effective BTB moves -- ambidextrous drop steps, up-and-unders, high-knee hook shots, jump hooks, and pivoting scoop shots. The best at these BTB skills may be Stefanie Dolson.

I don't think Griner has a good repertoire of these offensive BTB skills, or even good rebounding skills for her size, but she definitely plays so-called center floor position simply because of her height.

Under my definition, Wilson would not primarily be a center, but can play around the basket because of her various other-than-BTB skills. In common cabalistic numerology, she's a 4-5.
tfan

PostPosted: 06/21/18 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson seems to be playing like a 4, but she is doing really well - way better than the few times I saw her in college (probably UConn blowouts). Nice jumper and drives really well to the basket, drawing lots of fouls.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 06/21/18 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson seems like the hardest Power Forward to guard in the WNBA, evident by her Ridiculously high free throw rate, at her position I would only take MVParker, Nneka, and Stewart over here at this time. For a #1 high school player in 2014, to a #1 draft pick in 2018, I would say Wilson is living up to her star potential.
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 06/21/18 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson seems like the hardest Power Forward to guard in the WNBA, evident by her Ridiculously high free throw rate, at her position I would only take MVParker, Nneka, and Stewart over here at this time. For a #1 high school player in 2014, to a #1 draft pick in 2018, I would say Wilson is living up to her star potential.

Rolling Eyes

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/21/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would add Charles and EDD to your list

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: