RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4813
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/22/18 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sounds like a story made up by the "fans on the hill".



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 3558



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/22/18 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
How many of the S16 are coached by alumni? Only one, and he didn't play WCBB there.


If UConn and Tenn hired only within the family both Summitt and Auriemma wouldn't have been hired. Of course wcbb wasn't very high profile in 72 and UConn hired Auriemma for 25K in 85 when no established head coach wanted the job. There is always a faction within any university who want continuity. The AD has to make happy his/her boss, boosters/donors/politicians and the fan base.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/22/18 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Unsubstantiated rumor: The Tennessee freshmen told the AD they wanted Holly out or they were leaving.


I have difficulty believing this for several reasons.

However, if it's true, I hope the AD immediately revoked their scholarships, denied them releases, showed them where the door is, and sincerely wished them all the best in basketball and life. Then, he or she should make an independent decision as to what, if anything, to do with Warlick.


You act as if they stood on a table with a sign that said "UNION." What if the truth was closer to the AD reaching out to them to find out why they were considering transferring?

(it's a rumor so I am speculating wildly here)


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14389
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/22/18 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
How many of the S16 are coached by alumni? Only one, and he didn't play WCBB there.


Hire an alumna, and you'll end up where Purdue is.


PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 2064



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/22/18 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I don't think Walz is as good a team builder as Moore. I watched Moore at Chattanooga and now at NC State and I think he's got that way over Walz.


I've always thought that Wes Moore would be the perfect next coach for Tennessee...no, he doesn't have FF experience but he's a winner, team builder and inspires confidence. And NC State this year (with loss of senior backcourt last year) can play "messy" but they do hustle and play hard.

That all said, it would feel super weird to have a man coach the Lady Vols.


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1017



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/23/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
It sounds like a story made up by the "fans on the hill".


IDK. There's no mention of this on VN, and that's the first place to trumpet anything that makes Holly look bad. I've seen half a dozen posts there saying that if CHW leaves, then there will be transfers and decommits.


willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 503
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/23/18 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Unsubstantiated rumor: The Tennessee freshmen told the AD they wanted Holly out or they were leaving.


I have difficulty believing this for several reasons.

However, if it's true, I hope the AD immediately revoked their scholarships, denied them releases, showed them where the door is, and sincerely wished them all the best in basketball and life. Then, he or she should make an independent decision as to what, if anything, to do with Warlick.


If this is true- At least they gave them a heads up on their plans and options concerning them. They could just as well have just transferred. While it is not a good idea to set a precedent of players dictating who their coach should be, would it be better if they just all transferred out with out warning? It pretty much makes clear that they came to Tenn because it was Tenn and not because of the coach.

It would be very harsh, unwarranted and punitive to take the actions you suggested as to denying them releases. If they did that they would be destroying any future the team had in respect to recruiting. It reeks of the AD's ego being offended because they are calling for something that he should have done long ago. It reflects their lack of trust in him and their their belief that unless he is pressured he will not take action. Which is probably true. It reflects on his negatively on his own competence. So what do incompetent people do when they are exposed. They take retaliatory action against those that dare to point out their incompetence.

I wouldn't ever want you as my superior.


GEF34



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 13641
Location: Los Angeles


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/18 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Unsubstantiated rumor: The Tennessee freshmen told the AD they wanted Holly out or they were leaving.


I have difficulty believing this for several reasons.

However, if it's true, I hope the AD immediately revoked their scholarships, denied them releases, showed them where the door is, and sincerely wished them all the best in basketball and life. Then, he or she should make an independent decision as to what, if anything, to do with Warlick.


If this is true- At least they gave them a heads up on their plans and options concerning them. They could just as well have just transferred. While it is not a good idea to set a precedent of players dictating who their coach should be, would it be better if they just all transferred out with out warning? It pretty much makes clear that they came to Tenn because it was Tenn and not because of the coach.

It would be very harsh, unwarranted and punitive to take the actions you suggested as to denying them releases. If they did that they would be destroying any future the team had in respect to recruiting. It reeks of the AD's ego being offended because they are calling for something that he should have done long ago. It reflects their lack of trust in him and their their belief that unless he is pressured he will not take action. Which is probably true. It reflects on his negatively on his own competence. So what do incompetent people do when they are exposed. They take retaliatory action against those that dare to point out their incompetence.

I wouldn't ever want you as my superior.


Tennessee's current Athletic Director was hired in December of 2017, so when you say he it's something he should have done a long time ago do you mean during this season he should have decided to let her go? He can't be held accountable for what people before he did or didn't do nor should what they did or didn't do reflect your trust or belief in him.



_________________
DeLisha Milton-Jones is my favorite player Smile

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
snowstormxu



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Posts: 69
Location: Cincinnati


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Brian Neal at Xavier was left with a mess of a program when he took over after Amy Waugh's unfortunate departure, and it looked like a couple of years ago that he might be turning the corner.

Given the success that X had under both Melanie Balcomb and Kevin McGuff, it's been frustrating to see the program fall apart. Apathy seems to be the best word to describe the atmosphere around the program. I have no inside knowledge, but it seems as a fan like the administration went all-in on women's basketball during the Amber Harris years and still couldn't build much of a following, and now they've resigned themselves to giving up.

Given the success and rabid fan bases of the Xavier and Cincinnati's men's teams, it's always been puzzling to me why the women's programs have had terrible attendance numbers and general interest. Cincinnati has a huge network of high school talent and basketball fans to draw on. This is UC's best team in a long time and they scored 21 points against UConn last night.

Xavier lost this past weekend in the play-in game in the Big East tournament, so it's possible that Neal might be let go. But with each day that passes where it doesn't happen, it seems less likely.

Xavier under Neal:
2013-14 8-23 (3-15)
2014-15 18-15 (8-10)
2015-16 17-13 (8-10) WBI bid
2016-17 12-18 (4-14)
2017-18 10-20 (3-15)


The 2016-2017 season was the most disappointing season for me in the Brian Neal era. That team had upperclassmen. They should have done better.

My expectations were really low for this past season. Mostly freshmen and sophomores in a very good Big East. The upperclassmen that they did bring back only played sparingly last year. They actually won more games than I thought they would. I thought they'd win 5 games and they won 10. Still nothing to get too excited about, I agree.

I'm giving him one more year, and that's only because he's changed his assistants, and his recruits for next year seem better than the past.

I know of several X fans that won't go to another game until he's gone. He's a good guy for sure, but we're at the point where "enough is enough".


StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10263
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/18 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is Holly Warlick’ contract status? Does it expire after the end of next season? If so, perhaps UT will just not renew afterwards?



_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4897



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For everyone that wants Holly gone:

Who do you replace her with?

Not your dream coach. Who would you realistically replace her with that could do better?

I can't imagine that there is a large pool to chose from.



_________________
neverthless she persisted
Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 205



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
For everyone that wants Holly gone:

Who do you replace her with?

Not your dream coach. Who would you realistically replace her with that could do better?

I can't imagine that there is a large pool to chose from.


I would pick an up and coming mid major coach that can really coach. Recruiting has never been an issue there. I’m a little biased, but Bart Brooks from Belmont would be a terrific hire. Really knows how to teach good offense.

Tennessee AD will NOT pay big money for a WBB head coach.


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1017



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
I would pick an up and coming mid major coach that can really coach. Recruiting has never been an issue there. I’m a little biased, but Bart Brooks from Belmont would be a terrific hire. Really knows how to teach good offense.

Tennessee AD will NOT pay big money for a WBB head coach.


And the Tennessee fans will NOT be happy unless the new coach bests Holly's record in year one and makes it to the NC game in year two, which seems unlikely for an "up and coming mid major coach." Between that and the online vitriol the collective Tenn "fans" are spewing about Holly, the players, and WBB, I'd be very leery of walking into that environment.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4813
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
I would pick an up and coming mid major coach that can really coach. Recruiting has never been an issue there. I’m a little biased, but Bart Brooks from Belmont would be a terrific hire. Really knows how to teach good offense.

Tennessee AD will NOT pay big money for a WBB head coach.


And the Tennessee fans will NOT be happy unless the new coach bests Holly's record in year one and makes it to the NC game in year two, which seems unlikely for an "up and coming mid major coach." Between that and the online vitriol the collective Tenn "fans" are spewing about Holly, the players, and WBB, I'd be very leery of walking into that environment.


I strongly believe that this is someone's mindf--- fantasy, promulgated on The Summitt and dragged here out of the garbage by ClayK, who should know better. I'm pretty disgusted by anyone dragging that kind of trash around.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 205



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
I would pick an up and coming mid major coach that can really coach. Recruiting has never been an issue there. I’m a little biased, but Bart Brooks from Belmont would be a terrific hire. Really knows how to teach good offense.

Tennessee AD will NOT pay big money for a WBB head coach.


And the Tennessee fans will NOT be happy unless the new coach bests Holly's record in year one and makes it to the NC game in year two, which seems unlikely for an "up and coming mid major coach." Between that and the online vitriol the collective Tenn "fans" are spewing about Holly, the players, and WBB, I'd be very leery of walking into that environment.


Well I will tell you Bart Brooks would have easily bested Holly's record this year. And with the talent Tennessee has, I wouldn't doubt a final four appearance. I don't post about Holly ever, but she is not an elite coach and will not get a program to elite status. She has failed every year since being a head coach.


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1017



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's having a lot of confidence that a first year HC could manage a big-name program, particularly one that could potentially be hamstringed by transfers and decommits.


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 205



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
That's having a lot of confidence that a first year HC could manage a big-name program, particularly one that could potentially be hamstringed by transfers and decommits.


Yes you're right. I have a lot more confidence in him than Holly. I know Bart. He was an assistant at DePaul. He knows how to run offense and run it at a high level. To win now, you have to run great offense not chuck up shots and hope for offensive rebound and putbacks.

Let me ask you, do you think Holly is a great basketball coach? Do you think she has underachieved with the talent she has? Do you think Tennesse AD would pay for a current top head coach?

I would love for Tennessee to succeed again. Holly can't do it.


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 205



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
For everyone that wants Holly gone:

Who do you replace her with?

Not your dream coach. Who would you realistically replace her with that could do better?

I can't imagine that there is a large pool to chose from.


Realistically I would go after Niele Ivey. She can recruit at a high level, knows her X's and O's. Comes from top pedigree, and the AD wouldn't have to Shell out big coin for a current top head coach. That's more realistic. Also, it would be great to have another female coach as well as an African American woman get a top head coaching position.


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 205



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
For everyone that wants Holly gone:

Who do you replace her with?

Not your dream coach. Who would you realistically replace her with that could do better?

I can't imagine that there is a large pool to chose from.


Realistically I would go after Niele Ivey. She can recruit at a high level, knows her X's and O's. Comes from top pedigree, and the AD wouldn't have to Shell out big coin for a current top head coach. That's more realistic. Also, it would be great to have another female coach as well as an African American woman get a top head coaching position.


bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 631



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
For everyone that wants Holly gone:

Who do you replace her with?

Not your dream coach. Who would you realistically replace her with that could do better?

I can't imagine that there is a large pool to chose from.


Realistically I would go after Niele Ivey. She can recruit at a high level, knows her X's and O's. Comes from top pedigree, and the AD wouldn't have to Shell out big coin for a current top head coach. That's more realistic. Also, it would be great to have another female coach as well as an African American woman get a top head coaching position.


The last ND African American assistant coach is't doing that well currently.


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 205



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
For everyone that wants Holly gone:

Who do you replace her with?

Not your dream coach. Who would you realistically replace her with that could do better?

I can't imagine that there is a large pool to chose from.


Realistically I would go after Niele Ivey. She can recruit at a high level, knows her X's and O's. Comes from top pedigree, and the AD wouldn't have to Shell out big coin for a current top head coach. That's more realistic. Also, it would be great to have another female coach as well as an African American woman get a top head coaching position.


The last ND African American assistant coach is't doing that well currently.


Can you remind me who that is?


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 205



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
For everyone that wants Holly gone:

Who do you replace her with?

Not your dream coach. Who would you realistically replace her with that could do better?

I can't imagine that there is a large pool to chose from.


Realistically I would go after Niele Ivey. She can recruit at a high level, knows her X's and O's. Comes from top pedigree, and the AD wouldn't have to Shell out big coin for a current top head coach. That's more realistic. Also, it would be great to have another female coach as well as an African American woman get a top head coaching position.


The last ND African American assistant coach is't doing that well currently.


Can you remind me who that is?


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 205



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
For everyone that wants Holly gone:

Who do you replace her with?

Not your dream coach. Who would you realistically replace her with that could do better?

I can't imagine that there is a large pool to chose from.


Realistically I would go after Niele Ivey. She can recruit at a high level, knows her X's and O's. Comes from top pedigree, and the AD wouldn't have to Shell out big coin for a current top head coach. That's more realistic. Also, it would be great to have another female coach as well as an African American woman get a top head coaching position.


The last ND African American assistant coach is't doing that well currently.


Can you remind me who that is?


I can answer my own question now. Washington has had much success in the past. To be honest, I don't know what is going on there at the moment. So I'll give you that one.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9197



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My apologies for the rumor ...

But the real question was raised: Who could do better that Tennessee could hire?

Now it might be that successful P5 coaches might jump at the chance to go to Tennessee, or it could be that everyone will run away because of the expectations and controversy.

If I were the Tennessee AD, I'd have a replacement in hand before I made any move at all ... and it's probably prudent to just the contract run out.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1017



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
My apologies for the rumor ...

But the real question was raised: Who could do better that Tennessee could hire?

Now it might be that successful P5 coaches might jump at the chance to go to Tennessee, or it could be that everyone will run away because of the expectations and controversy.

If I were the Tennessee AD, I'd have a replacement in hand before I made any move at all ... and it's probably prudent to just the contract run out.


This. Holly's contract runs through next season. The current freshmen and Cheridene Green will have a year under their belts, and a new crop of AA's are signed for next year. If CHW can't produce, i.e. SEC title and FF, with them, it's time for a change, and I think a contract non-renewal will sit better with the players than firing Holly. However, the AD better have a concrete option lined up. Niele Ivey might be a reasonable choice. I don't think Tenn will cough up the money to hire a proven P5 HC.


Lillian Hidgepork



Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 84
Location: Down South


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/18 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I am Tennessee I hire Jeff Walz. Use some of that football money.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4813
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/18 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
If I am Tennessee I hire Jeff Walz. Use some of that football money.


What makes you think Walz would even consider it? I don't know what his salary is, but probably more....besides, the Louisville name is a little tainted, even if he wasn't involved.

Wes Moore, hands down. Tennessee grad, Tennessee connections, proven team builder at both Chattanooga and NC State.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17095
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/18 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
What makes you think Walz would even consider it? I don't know what his salary is, but probably more....besides, the Louisville name is a little tainted, even if he wasn't involved.


What does the men's basketball program have to do with Walz?

That would be like saying that the Tennessee WBB program is tainted because of Bruce Pearl.


BD22



Joined: 27 Nov 2016
Posts: 26
Location: Southeast


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
If I am Tennessee I hire Jeff Walz. Use some of that football money.


What makes you think Walz would even consider it? I don't know what his salary is, but probably more....besides, the Louisville name is a little tainted, even if he wasn't involved.

Wes Moore, hands down. Tennessee grad, Tennessee connections, proven team builder at both Chattanooga and NC State.


I'm a huge Wes Moore fan but legit question for you: if you're upset with the performance under Holly (who has gone to three Elite Eights) why is Moore the no brainer pick for you when he has only gone to the Sweet Sixteen once? No snark here, legit question.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7491
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
If I am Tennessee I hire Jeff Walz. Use some of that football money.


What makes you think Walz would even consider it? I don't know what his salary is, but probably more....besides, the Louisville name is a little tainted, even if he wasn't involved.

Wes Moore, hands down. Tennessee grad, Tennessee connections, proven team builder at both Chattanooga and NC State.


I'm a huge Wes Moore fan but legit question for you: if you're upset with the performance under Holly (who has gone to three Elite Eights) why is Moore the no brainer pick for you when he has only gone to the Sweet Sixteen once? No snark here, legit question.


Id actually like to hear the answer also ?



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1017



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/18 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
If I am Tennessee I hire Jeff Walz. Use some of that football money.


What makes you think Walz would even consider it? I don't know what his salary is, but probably more....besides, the Louisville name is a little tainted, even if he wasn't involved.

Wes Moore, hands down. Tennessee grad, Tennessee connections, proven team builder at both Chattanooga and NC State.


Walz's contract runs out in 2019, the same time as Holly's, but he is reportedly making about twice what she does, and I'd bet a FF or two would command a raise at Louisville as well. I doubt he'd take a pay cut or less than a 5 year contract to come to Tenn, so that means the school, boosters, etc would have to come up with an add'l ~$4-5M over the next 5 years to bring him to Knoxville.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4813
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
If I am Tennessee I hire Jeff Walz. Use some of that football money.


What makes you think Walz would even consider it? I don't know what his salary is, but probably more....besides, the Louisville name is a little tainted, even if he wasn't involved.

Wes Moore, hands down. Tennessee grad, Tennessee connections, proven team builder at both Chattanooga and NC State.


I'm a huge Wes Moore fan but legit question for you: if you're upset with the performance under Holly (who has gone to three Elite Eights) why is Moore the no brainer pick for you when he has only gone to the Sweet Sixteen once? No snark here, legit question.


NC State was a bigger rebuilding job than Tennessee has ever been. At Tennessee he'd be starting on third base.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1017



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/18 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the wake of Tenn's second round demise, Holly got a commit from a 2019 post, and her 3 incoming McDonald AA's all defended her online. It seems like her players believe in her, even if the fans don't.


CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17095
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/05/18 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy at Auburn should be on the hot seat. However, due to an unexplainable extension last year, in addition to a new AD and the incoming recruiting class being very promising, the word is that she will get another year regardless of the outcome of this season.

Her style of play will never produce a team capable of competing with the top tier SEC teams. She is a very nice woman that runs a clean program and graduates her players, but when you get paid $600,000 plus a year, results have to come.


Auburn has extended the contract of head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy through the 2022-23 season.
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1004020810363883525

Williams-Flournoy concluded her sixth season as Auburn's head coach in 2017-18. In six years on The Plains, Coach Flo has recorded 102 wins and made four postseason appearances. She led the Tigers to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060518aab.html


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4526



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/05/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy at Auburn should be on the hot seat. However, due to an unexplainable extension last year, in addition to a new AD and the incoming recruiting class being very promising, the word is that she will get another year regardless of the outcome of this season.

Her style of play will never produce a team capable of competing with the top tier SEC teams. She is a very nice woman that runs a clean program and graduates her players, but when you get paid $600,000 plus a year, results have to come.


Auburn has extended the contract of head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy through the 2022-23 season.
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1004020810363883525

Williams-Flournoy concluded her sixth season as Auburn's head coach in 2017-18. In six years on The Plains, Coach Flo has recorded 102 wins and made four postseason appearances. She led the Tigers to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060518aab.html


2015 - 8-8 SEC record
2016 - 7-9 SEC record
2017 - 5-11 SEC record

Extension for what? Where was she gonna go? Who was gonna hire her?


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9197



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/06/18 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy at Auburn should be on the hot seat. However, due to an unexplainable extension last year, in addition to a new AD and the incoming recruiting class being very promising, the word is that she will get another year regardless of the outcome of this season.

Her style of play will never produce a team capable of competing with the top tier SEC teams. She is a very nice woman that runs a clean program and graduates her players, but when you get paid $600,000 plus a year, results have to come.


Auburn has extended the contract of head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy through the 2022-23 season.
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1004020810363883525

Williams-Flournoy concluded her sixth season as Auburn's head coach in 2017-18. In six years on The Plains, Coach Flo has recorded 102 wins and made four postseason appearances. She led the Tigers to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060518aab.html


2015 - 8-8 SEC record
2016 - 7-9 SEC record
2017 - 5-11 SEC record

Extension for what? Where was she gonna go? Who was gonna hire her?


Auburn falls into the category of schools that will happily settle for a coach that

a) Goes about .500 overall
b) Graduates almost everybody
c) Doesn't sleep with the players

And sadly, Auburn is far from the one school in that category.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4526



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/06/18 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Durantula wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy at Auburn should be on the hot seat. However, due to an unexplainable extension last year, in addition to a new AD and the incoming recruiting class being very promising, the word is that she will get another year regardless of the outcome of this season.

Her style of play will never produce a team capable of competing with the top tier SEC teams. She is a very nice woman that runs a clean program and graduates her players, but when you get paid $600,000 plus a year, results have to come.


Auburn has extended the contract of head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy through the 2022-23 season.
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1004020810363883525

Williams-Flournoy concluded her sixth season as Auburn's head coach in 2017-18. In six years on The Plains, Coach Flo has recorded 102 wins and made four postseason appearances. She led the Tigers to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060518aab.html


2015 - 8-8 SEC record
2016 - 7-9 SEC record
2017 - 5-11 SEC record

Extension for what? Where was she gonna go? Who was gonna hire her?


Auburn falls into the category of schools that will happily settle for a coach that

a) Goes about .500 overall
b) Graduates almost everybody
c) Doesn't sleep with the players

And sadly, Auburn is far from the one school in that category.


What if the school said we'll give you more years but you'll have to take a small pay cut. That would be fiscally prudent because like I said where would she go for that type of money? You rarely see this happen. I think C Vivian Stringer may have taken a recent pay cut at Rutgers after they began to struggle a little.


PlayBally'all



Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 224



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/07/18 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy at Auburn should be on the hot seat. However, due to an unexplainable extension last year, in addition to a new AD and the incoming recruiting class being very promising, the word is that she will get another year regardless of the outcome of this season.

Her style of play will never produce a team capable of competing with the top tier SEC teams. She is a very nice woman that runs a clean program and graduates her players, but when you get paid $600,000 plus a year, results have to come.


Auburn has extended the contract of head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy through the 2022-23 season.
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1004020810363883525

Williams-Flournoy concluded her sixth season as Auburn's head coach in 2017-18. In six years on The Plains, Coach Flo has recorded 102 wins and made four postseason appearances. She led the Tigers to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060518aab.html


This did happen, but nobody around the program has any real idea why this was done. It was a stunning and unexpected decision made by our new AD. All that talk about her record is just fluff. In 6 years, we have not been competitive in the SEC. The problem is the style of play and she doesn't appear ready to change her philosophy.

I am fairly well connected with respect to long time season ticket holders and supporters of the program in general and I have yet to speak to anyone that is pleased with this decision. Terri is a very nice person with a beautiful family, but this isn't about that, its about being competitive within the SEC and having a legitimate shot at going deep in the tournament. Personally, I believe that 2 things influenced the decision to extend. First, her family connections with AAU basketball, her brother being Boo Williams. Those connections give her support from Bruce Pearl, who has little interest in upsetting anyone associated with AAU basketball. Also, not to be discounted, Allen Greene, Auburn's new AD, and his family recently moved from New York to Auburn. Terri and her husband have been very helpful in getting Greene's family settled. I'm sure that went a long way in the decision making process.

There were many people that believed that Greene would make a change and bring in his fellow Notre Dame alum, Niel Ivey, with whom he has been friends for a very long time. We will see how this goes.

For those talking about salaries, Terri, without ever having a winning record in conference play, will now earn more than $700,000 a year. That is a heck of a lot of money in the real world.


PlayBally'all



Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 224



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/07/18 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Durantula wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy at Auburn should be on the hot seat. However, due to an unexplainable extension last year, in addition to a new AD and the incoming recruiting class being very promising, the word is that she will get another year regardless of the outcome of this season.

Her style of play will never produce a team capable of competing with the top tier SEC teams. She is a very nice woman that runs a clean program and graduates her players, but when you get paid $600,000 plus a year, results have to come.


Auburn has extended the contract of head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy through the 2022-23 season.
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1004020810363883525

Williams-Flournoy concluded her sixth season as Auburn's head coach in 2017-18. In six years on The Plains, Coach Flo has recorded 102 wins and made four postseason appearances. She led the Tigers to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060518aab.html


2015 - 8-8 SEC record
2016 - 7-9 SEC record
2017 - 5-11 SEC record

Extension for what? Where was she gonna go? Who was gonna hire her?


Auburn falls into the category of schools that will happily settle for a coach that

a) Goes about .500 overall
b) Graduates almost everybody
c) Doesn't sleep with the players

And sadly, Auburn is far from the one school in that category.


Auburn has a strong history of success in women's basketball. The Tigers have been competitive throughout the NCAA era, making 20 tournament appearances between 1982 and 2017. The program’s heyday came in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when Auburn finished second in three straight seasons after appearing in back to back to back Final 4 championship games. Auburn was regular season SEC champs as recently as 2009. The list of current & former head coaches that have been assistant coaches under Joe Ciampi at Auburn consists of Joanne P. McCallie, MaChelle Joseph, Kellie Harper, Mickie DeMoss and several others.

I assure you, the record over the past 6 years is not acceptable to many connected to the program.


warladytigers



Joined: 14 Mar 2012
Posts: 38



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Summed up well - I'm very uphappy with this. AU needs to become relevant again! Mad


StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10263
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy at Auburn should be on the hot seat. However, due to an unexplainable extension last year, in addition to a new AD and the incoming recruiting class being very promising, the word is that she will get another year regardless of the outcome of this season.

Her style of play will never produce a team capable of competing with the top tier SEC teams. She is a very nice woman that runs a clean program and graduates her players, but when you get paid $600,000 plus a year, results have to come.


Auburn has extended the contract of head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy through the 2022-23 season.
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1004020810363883525

Williams-Flournoy concluded her sixth season as Auburn's head coach in 2017-18. In six years on The Plains, Coach Flo has recorded 102 wins and made four postseason appearances. She led the Tigers to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060518aab.html


This did happen, but nobody around the program has any real idea why this was done. It was a stunning and unexpected decision made by our new AD. All that talk about her record is just fluff. In 6 years, we have not been competitive in the SEC. The problem is the style of play and she doesn't appear ready to change her philosophy.

I am fairly well connected with respect to long time season ticket holders and supporters of the program in general and I have yet to speak to anyone that is pleased with this decision. Terri is a very nice person with a beautiful family, but this isn't about that, its about being competitive within the SEC and having a legitimate shot at going deep in the tournament. Personally, I believe that 2 things influenced the decision to extend. First, her family connections with AAU basketball, her brother being Boo Williams. Those connections give her support from Bruce Pearl, who has little interest in upsetting anyone associated with AAU basketball. Also, not to be discounted, Allen Greene, Auburn's new AD, and his family recently moved from New York to Auburn. Terri and her husband have been very helpful in getting Greene's family settled. I'm sure that went a long way in the decision making process.

There were many people that believed that Greene would make a change and bring in his fellow Notre Dame alum, Niele Ivey, with whom he has been friends for a very long time. We will see how this goes.

For those talking about salaries, Terri, without ever having a winning record in conference play, will now earn more than $700,000 a year. That is a heck of a lot of money in the real world.


Thanks for that explanation and your insight into this matter. If it weren't for her connections, Terri would've been long gone as the Auburn coach by now, because her won-loss record just isn't cuttin' it.

Still, this is yet another example of "It's not what you know. It's who you know". Rolling Eyes



_________________
"The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine." -- George Bernard Shaw
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7491
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy at Auburn should be on the hot seat. However, due to an unexplainable extension last year, in addition to a new AD and the incoming recruiting class being very promising, the word is that she will get another year regardless of the outcome of this season.

Her style of play will never produce a team capable of competing with the top tier SEC teams. She is a very nice woman that runs a clean program and graduates her players, but when you get paid $600,000 plus a year, results have to come.


Auburn has extended the contract of head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy through the 2022-23 season.
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1004020810363883525

Williams-Flournoy concluded her sixth season as Auburn's head coach in 2017-18. In six years on The Plains, Coach Flo has recorded 102 wins and made four postseason appearances. She led the Tigers to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060518aab.html


This did happen, but nobody around the program has any real idea why this was done. It was a stunning and unexpected decision made by our new AD. All that talk about her record is just fluff. In 6 years, we have not been competitive in the SEC. The problem is the style of play and she doesn't appear ready to change her philosophy.

I am fairly well connected with respect to long time season ticket holders and supporters of the program in general and I have yet to speak to anyone that is pleased with this decision. Terri is a very nice person with a beautiful family, but this isn't about that, its about being competitive within the SEC and having a legitimate shot at going deep in the tournament. Personally, I believe that 2 things influenced the decision to extend. First, her family connections with AAU basketball, her brother being Boo Williams. Those connections give her support from Bruce Pearl, who has little interest in upsetting anyone associated with AAU basketball. Also, not to be discounted, Allen Greene, Auburn's new AD, and his family recently moved from New York to Auburn. Terri and her husband have been very helpful in getting Greene's family settled. I'm sure that went a long way in the decision making process.

There were many people that believed that Greene would make a change and bring in his fellow Notre Dame alum, Niele Ivey, with whom he has been friends for a very long time. We will see how this goes.

For those talking about salaries, Terri, without ever having a winning record in conference play, will now earn more than $700,000 a year. That is a heck of a lot of money in the real world.


Thanks for that explanation and your insight into this matter. If it weren't for her connections, Terri would've been long gone as the Auburn coach by now, because her won-loss record just isn't cuttin' it.

Still, this is yet another example of "It's not what you know. It's who you know". Rolling Eyes


But how are her connections helping her program ?



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17095
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/19/18 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does UT administration care about Lady Vols?
John Adams, Knoxville News Sentinel

Quote:
Understandably, Fulmer wants to get the football program back on track. If football succeeds under Fulmer hire Jeremy Pruitt, Fulmer will succeed as an athletic director – no matter how Tennessee fares in other sports.

So why should he be concerned about the contract of his women’s basketball coach?

If UT really were intent on regaining its elite status in that sport, it would have made a coaching change after this past season and tried to hire one of the top coaches in women’s basketball. That would have meant paying a coach much more than it’s paying Warlick.

As you’ve noticed, Tennessee prefers to pay coaches more on their way out the door than on the front end. That goes with sports in general – not just women’s basketball.



https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/columnists/university-of-tennessee/john-adams/2018/06/18/lady-vols-basketball-holly-warlick-tennessee-kara-lawson-nikki-fargas/693832002/


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1017



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/19/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No news in that article, just a rehash of essentially nothing.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin