30%  [ 13 ]
someone else
28%
 28%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 42

pilight

PostPosted: 06/18/18 7:30 am    ::: MVP Reply Reply with quote

Monday Poll time!

Changing the criteria. Shades had a good idea, the poll is now limited to those who meet the standards met by previous MVPs:

At least 43.4 FG%
At least 15.5 ppg
No more than three games missed
Play for a .500 or better team
Leads her team in scoring

PostPosted: 06/18/18 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding the last pick (someone else) - is there anybody else that meets the criteria?

toad455

PostPosted: 06/18/18 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

list is short. Cambage should be up there even though Diggins is the leading scorer.

Diggins: 21.9 ppg, 5.8 apg, 4.6rpg, 38.6 FG%, 35.3 mpg
Cambage: 20.1 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 2.1 apg, 2.6 bpg, 55.7 FG%, 31.1 mpg

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 06/18/18 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ALL WNBA TEAMS

First Team:
G: Diggins-Smith
G: Taurasi
F: Stewart
F: N. Ogwumike
C: Cambage

Second Team
G: Loyd
G: Gray
F: Charles
F: A. Wilson
C: Griner

pilight

PostPosted: 06/18/18 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Regarding the last pick (someone else) - is there anybody else that meets the criteria?

No, but the MVP voters could do something unprecedented

PostPosted: 06/18/18 10:14 am    ::: Re: MVP Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Monday Poll time!

Changing the criteria. Shades had a good idea, the poll is now limited to those who meet the standards met by previous MVPs:

At least 43.4 FG%
At least 15.5 ppg

I object to that last criteria being associated with me. It wasn’t researched by me and it was something you came up with that’s not very intuitive and makes your algorithm as problematic as it is. In this era of teams having multiple MVP candidates, it wouldn’t be wise to eliminate someone by this criteria.

In the case of Cambage and Diggins, you eliminate Cambage who meets the first four standards, by Diggins who fails to meet one of those standards. Does that make sense?

And similarly with other teams, when one of the two best players on the team edges out somebody in scoring, that should eliminate the other important aspects, such as rebounding or whatever else that might be particularly outstanding? If Taurasi were to edge out Griner in scoring, would that really mean Taurasi is the most important player on the team? Really now? You could have similar situations with Stewart & Loyd and Fowles & Moore.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 06/18/18 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least 43.4 FG% - plausible
At least 15.5 ppg - yes
No more than three games missed - yes
Play for a .500 or better team - yes

maybe it should be 3/4 to get put on the poll. having only three on the list when there's at least 7-8 legit contenders this season. Yes, Diggins & Cambage should be on the list. As should Taurasi, Gray & Loyd.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/18/18 10:26 am    ::: Re: MVP Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Monday Poll time!

At least 43.4 FG%
At least 15.5 ppg

I object to that last criteria being associated with me. It wasn’t researched by me and it was something you came up with that’s not very intuitive and makes your algorithm as problematic as it is. In this era of teams having multiple MVP candidates, it wouldn’t be wise to eliminate someone by this criteria.

In the case of Cambage and Diggins, you eliminate Cambage who meets the first four standards, by Diggins who fails to meet one of those standards. Does that make sense?

And similarly with other teams, when one of the two best players on the team edges out somebody in scoring, that should eliminate the other important aspects, such as rebounding or whatever else that might be particularly outstanding? If Taurasi were to edge out Griner in scoring, would that really mean Taurasi is the most important player on the team? Really now? You could have similar situations with Stewart & Loyd and Fowles & Moore.

Your idea was to limit the poll to players who meet the criteria that past MVPs have met. Every MVP has been her team's leading scorer, whether you like it or not.

Not sure what you mean by "this era" of teams having multiple candidates. We've had that since day one. Cooper and Swoopes finished in the top three of MVP voting as teammates in 1999. In the 2009 the top four vote getters were two pair of teammates.

PostPosted: 06/18/18 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m going with Taurasi because she’s having an outstanding season and her team is currently riding an 8 game winning streak. Liz Cambage would be my 2nd choice I guess.

No one on the Sparks is having an MVP season IMO. Other choices are Skylar Diggins, Breanna Stewart and I can’t think who else i’d put on this list at the moment.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/18/18 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

No one on the Sparks is having an MVP season IMO. Other choices are Skylar Diggins, Breanna Stewart and I can’t think who else i’d put on this list at the moment.

That's the problem of having three super or close to superstars on one team. They have to share the ball. Still a nice problem to have.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 06/18/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“My idea” wasn’t intended for your poll. I just did the research to possibly explain why Diggins wasn’t a Top 10 MVP candidate according to wnba.com, since they didn’t explain why she wasn’t and people wanted to know why.

It’s not really my idea if you’re going to tack on an idea of your own.

Explain how you can eliminate teammates by virtue of scoring alone, but then league-wide Diggins you don’t consider a candidate, even though she leads the league in scoring. Being the leading scorer is the most important criteria according to you, whether it’s volume shooting or not.

Last edited by Shades on 06/18/18 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 06/18/18 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Explain how you can eliminate teammates by virtue of scoring alone, but then league-wide Diggins you don’t consider a candidate, even though she leads the league in scoring. Being the leading scorer is the most important criteria according to you, whether it’s volume shooting or not.

The criteria are all equally important and have been met by every previous MVP. Why arbitrarily pick one to ignore?

PostPosted: 06/18/18 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just explained why they aren’t equally important. You can’t explain why Diggins isn’t a candidate league-wide but she can eliminate Cambage as a candidate. If volume shooting eliminates a candidate at the league level it should also eliminate her on the team level.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/18/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I just explained why they aren’t equally important. You can’t explain why Diggins isn’t a candidate league-wide but she can eliminate Cambage as a candidate. If volume shooting eliminates a candidate at the league level it should also eliminate her on the team level.

Diggins doesn't eliminate Cambage. Cambage eliminates herself. How can you be MVP if you're not ever your team's #1 option?

PostPosted: 06/18/18 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still say Nneka... She has been more valuable to the Sparks thus far, considering going 2-1 and beating (Minnesota and Phoenix) without Parker, Lavender, and Vadeeva. Most Valuable means most valuable to your team.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/18/18 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Diggins doesn't eliminate Cambage. Cambage eliminates herself. How can you be MVP if you're not ever your team's #1 option?

Was Ogwumike the #1 option in 2016? Or was Parker the #1 option, as a scorer and facilitator?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/18/18 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

She Should Be But Thats not her fault , Blame that on Drop Dead.

PostPosted: 06/18/18 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Diggins makes herself the #1 option. Are most FGA an important criteria for you now?

If you proclaim Diggins as the Dallas’ MVP only by virtue of being the high scorer and you think the poll should only include team MVP’s, then why isn’t Dallas represented?

Your random observation isn’t a stat so it shouldn’t be used as a criteria, especially when you have teammates that are equally important to the team.

See how close these teammates are in scoring? Wouldn’t it beyond ridiculous to eliminate any of them based on ppg alone? Of course, it’s beyond ridiculous.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/18/18 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

No, but the MVP voters could do something unprecedented

It is possible if this method is followed we may end up with no MVP candidates. Smile

pilight

PostPosted: 06/18/18 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
See how close these teammates are in scoring? Wouldn’t it beyond ridiculous to eliminate any of them based on ppg alone? Of course, it’s beyond ridiculous.

We're already eliminating people on ppg alone. Sorry, Chiney, your 15.3 isn't good enough even though you meet all the other criteria. But if you'd hit one more bucket you'd be an MVP candidate!

PostPosted: 06/18/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is not that deep

for this poll there are 5 criteria that have applied to every previous MVP winner, so when these criteria are applied to the current season the above candidates are what is left.

It does not mean that we can't have a winner this season that breaks the pattern. A player like Cambage could win as the 2nd best scorer on her team especially when it is really close. A player like Diggins could be the first to win with a FG% lower than 43%, also come seasons end Cambage could be the top scorer on the Wings or Diggins could be above 43% so not making the list ATM does not mean they won't make the same list at a later time. Parker or Gray could win even though Ogwumike is the only one who fits the criteria from her team as the Sparks are doing that super team thing where you can definitely makes arguments for the other two players as all are putting up very strong stat line for their position and Parker is Parker could be enough to over ride the previous criteria. This could be the year things change.

But the 5 criteria above have applied to all previous winner so using them as a starting point also makes sense even if they leave some very qualified candidates off the list. It is an attempt to create an equation to predict the outcome not create a list of candidates everyone agrees on.

I would also go one step further and guess that if the vote was today the MVP would be on that list of three above.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/18/18 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Was Ogwumike the #1 option in 2016? Or was Parker the #1 option, as a scorer and facilitator?

Excellent point. It was CP3's change of focus that propelled that team to the 'ship. It was when she saw herself as creator rather than scorer that led to the emergence of Nneka, since Nneka was the primary recipient of CP3's creations. Either by direct pass (assist) or the pass that led to the assist to Nneka. But it was Nneka who finished - with a league leading FG%. And CP3 had nothing to do with all that rebounding Nneka did. She was simply on fire.

This just points out the fallacy of anyone needing to decide who is the "#1" option to award MVP. Stats + eye test. Who is dominating on a team that is winning?

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: