RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 03/25/18 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I am Tennessee I hire Jeff Walz. Use some of that football money.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/18 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

What makes you think Walz would even consider it? I don't know what his salary is, but probably more....besides, the Louisville name is a little tainted, even if he wasn't involved.

Wes Moore, hands down. Tennessee grad, Tennessee connections, proven team builder at both Chattanooga and NC State.

PostPosted: 03/26/18 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
What makes you think Walz would even consider it? I don't know what his salary is, but probably more....besides, the Louisville name is a little tainted, even if he wasn't involved.

What does the men's basketball program have to do with Walz?

That would be like saying that the Tennessee WBB program is tainted because of Bruce Pearl.

BD22

PostPosted: 03/26/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

Wes Moore, hands down. Tennessee grad, Tennessee connections, proven team builder at both Chattanooga and NC State.

I'm a huge Wes Moore fan but legit question for you: if you're upset with the performance under Holly (who has gone to three Elite Eights) why is Moore the no brainer pick for you when he has only gone to the Sweet Sixteen once? No snark here, legit question.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/26/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

I'm a huge Wes Moore fan but legit question for you: if you're upset with the performance under Holly (who has gone to three Elite Eights) why is Moore the no brainer pick for you when he has only gone to the Sweet Sixteen once? No snark here, legit question.

Id actually like to hear the answer also ?

PostPosted: 03/27/18 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

Walz's contract runs out in 2019, the same time as Holly's, but he is reportedly making about twice what she does, and I'd bet a FF or two would command a raise at Louisville as well. I doubt he'd take a pay cut or less than a 5 year contract to come to Tenn, so that means the school, boosters, etc would have to come up with an add'l ~$4-5M over the next 5 years to bring him to Knoxville.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/27/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

NC State was a bigger rebuilding job than Tennessee has ever been. At Tennessee he'd be starting on third base.

PostPosted: 03/27/18 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the wake of Tenn's second round demise, Holly got a commit from a 2019 post, and her 3 incoming McDonald AA's all defended her online. It seems like her players believe in her, even if the fans don't.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/05/18 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy at Auburn should be on the hot seat. However, due to an unexplainable extension last year, in addition to a new AD and the incoming recruiting class being very promising, the word is that she will get another year regardless of the outcome of this season.

Her style of play will never produce a team capable of competing with the top tier SEC teams. She is a very nice woman that runs a clean program and graduates her players, but when you get paid $600,000 plus a year, results have to come.

Auburn has extended the contract of head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy through the 2022-23 season.
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1004020810363883525

Williams-Flournoy concluded her sixth season as Auburn's head coach in 2017-18. In six years on The Plains, Coach Flo has recorded 102 wins and made four postseason appearances. She led the Tigers to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060518aab.html

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/05/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
Terri Williams-Flournoy at Auburn should be on the hot seat. However, due to an unexplainable extension last year, in addition to a new AD and the incoming recruiting class being very promising, the word is that she will get another year regardless of the outcome of this season.

Her style of play will never produce a team capable of competing with the top tier SEC teams. She is a very nice woman that runs a clean program and graduates her players, but when you get paid $600,000 plus a year, results have to come.

Auburn has extended the contract of head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy through the 2022-23 season.

Williams-Flournoy concluded her sixth season as Auburn's head coach in 2017-18. In six years on The Plains, Coach Flo has recorded 102 wins and made four postseason appearances. She led the Tigers to back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017.

2015 - 8-8 SEC record
2016 - 7-9 SEC record
2017 - 5-11 SEC record

Extension for what? Where was she gonna go? Who was gonna hire her?

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/06/18 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

2015 - 8-8 SEC record
2016 - 7-9 SEC record
2017 - 5-11 SEC record

Auburn falls into the category of schools that will happily settle for a coach that

a) Goes about .500 overall
b) Graduates almost everybody
c) Doesn't sleep with the players

And sadly, Auburn is far from the one school in that category.

PostPosted: 06/06/18 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Durantula wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

2015 - 8-8 SEC record
2016 - 7-9 SEC record
2017 - 5-11 SEC record

Auburn falls into the category of schools that will happily settle for a coach that

What if the school said we'll give you more years but you'll have to take a small pay cut. That would be fiscally prudent because like I said where would she go for that type of money? You rarely see this happen. I think C Vivian Stringer may have taken a recent pay cut at Rutgers after they began to struggle a little.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 06/07/18 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

This did happen, but nobody around the program has any real idea why this was done. It was a stunning and unexpected decision made by our new AD. All that talk about her record is just fluff. In 6 years, we have not been competitive in the SEC. The problem is the style of play and she doesn't appear ready to change her philosophy.

I am fairly well connected with respect to long time season ticket holders and supporters of the program in general and I have yet to speak to anyone that is pleased with this decision. Terri is a very nice person with a beautiful family, but this isn't about that, its about being competitive within the SEC and having a legitimate shot at going deep in the tournament. Personally, I believe that 2 things influenced the decision to extend. First, her family connections with AAU basketball, her brother being Boo Williams. Those connections give her support from Bruce Pearl, who has little interest in upsetting anyone associated with AAU basketball. Also, not to be discounted, Allen Greene, Auburn's new AD, and his family recently moved from New York to Auburn. Terri and her husband have been very helpful in getting Greene's family settled. I'm sure that went a long way in the decision making process.

There were many people that believed that Greene would make a change and bring in his fellow Notre Dame alum, Niel Ivey, with whom he has been friends for a very long time. We will see how this goes.

For those talking about salaries, Terri, without ever having a winning record in conference play, will now earn more than $700,000 a year. That is a heck of a lot of money in the real world.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 06/07/18 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Durantula wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

2015 - 8-8 SEC record
2016 - 7-9 SEC record
2017 - 5-11 SEC record

Auburn has a strong history of success in women's basketball. The Tigers have been competitive throughout the NCAA era, making 20 tournament appearances between 1982 and 2017. The program’s heyday came in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when Auburn finished second in three straight seasons after appearing in back to back to back Final 4 championship games. Auburn was regular season SEC champs as recently as 2009. The list of current & former head coaches that have been assistant coaches under Joe Ciampi at Auburn consists of Joanne P. McCallie, MaChelle Joseph, Kellie Harper, Mickie DeMoss and several others.

I assure you, the record over the past 6 years is not acceptable to many connected to the program.

warladytigers

PostPosted: 06/18/18 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Summed up well - I'm very uphappy with this. AU needs to become relevant again! Mad

StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/18/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

This did happen, but nobody around the program has any real idea why this was done. It was a stunning and unexpected decision made by our new AD. All that talk about her record is just fluff. In 6 years, we have not been competitive in the SEC. The problem is the style of play and she doesn't appear ready to change her philosophy.

I am fairly well connected with respect to long time season ticket holders and supporters of the program in general and I have yet to speak to anyone that is pleased with this decision. Terri is a very nice person with a beautiful family, but this isn't about that, its about being competitive within the SEC and having a legitimate shot at going deep in the tournament. Personally, I believe that 2 things influenced the decision to extend. First, her family connections with AAU basketball, her brother being Boo Williams. Those connections give her support from Bruce Pearl, who has little interest in upsetting anyone associated with AAU basketball. Also, not to be discounted, Allen Greene, Auburn's new AD, and his family recently moved from New York to Auburn. Terri and her husband have been very helpful in getting Greene's family settled. I'm sure that went a long way in the decision making process.

There were many people that believed that Greene would make a change and bring in his fellow Notre Dame alum, Niele Ivey, with whom he has been friends for a very long time. We will see how this goes.

For those talking about salaries, Terri, without ever having a winning record in conference play, will now earn more than $700,000 a year. That is a heck of a lot of money in the real world.

Thanks for that explanation and your insight into this matter. If it weren't for her connections, Terri would've been long gone as the Auburn coach by now, because her won-loss record just isn't cuttin' it.

Still, this is yet another example of "It's not what you know. It's who you know". Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 06/18/18 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

There were many people that believed that Greene would make a change and bring in his fellow Notre Dame alum, Niele Ivey, with whom he has been friends for a very long time. We will see how this goes.

Thanks for that explanation and your insight into this matter. If it weren't for her connections, Terri would've been long gone as the Auburn coach by now, because her won-loss record just isn't cuttin' it.

Still, this is yet another example of "It's not what you know. It's who you know". Rolling Eyes

But how are her connections helping her program ?

PostPosted: 06/19/18 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does UT administration care about Lady Vols?
John Adams, Knoxville News Sentinel

Quote:
Understandably, Fulmer wants to get the football program back on track. If football succeeds under Fulmer hire Jeremy Pruitt, Fulmer will succeed as an athletic director – no matter how Tennessee fares in other sports.

So why should he be concerned about the contract of his women’s basketball coach?

If UT really were intent on regaining its elite status in that sport, it would have made a coaching change after this past season and tried to hire one of the top coaches in women’s basketball. That would have meant paying a coach much more than it’s paying Warlick.

As you’ve noticed, Tennessee prefers to pay coaches more on their way out the door than on the front end. That goes with sports in general – not just women’s basketball.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/columnists/university-of-tennessee/john-adams/2018/06/18/lady-vols-basketball-holly-warlick-tennessee-kara-lawson-nikki-fargas/693832002/

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 06/19/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No news in that article, just a rehash of essentially nothing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: