59%  [ 13 ]
Mystics
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 22

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/16/18 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Vadeeva looked pretty good in her short period of play.

Yes I liked how she looked. She is much faster than Lavender and probably has equal range shooting. Lavender just seems to mince around the court. Not very physical and slow to boot. I hope the coach gets her involved quickly to phase out Lavender. She is the weak link.

Boy William sure got hot. When she is hot she can be quite an asset. With their depth they can afford to sit her when she is not.

The more I watch Sims when she loses her man, the more i am convinced she has bad peripheral vision. When she loses sight of them she has a very hard time picking them up again.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/16/18 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Yes I liked how she looked. She is much faster than Lavender and probably has equal range shooting. Lavender just seems to mince around the court. Not very physical and slow to boot. I hope the coach gets her involved quickly to phase out Lavender. She is the weak link.

Boy William sure got hot. When she is hot she can be quite an asset. With their depth they can afford to sit her when she is not.

The more I watch Sims when she loses her man, the more i am convinced she has bad peripheral vision. When she loses sight of them she has a very hard time picking them up again.

No i wouldnt recommend Vadeeva shooting a lot of near 3pointers. That is not her game at all. She needs to be down low and be physical. Let Lavender float around the elbow area.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 06/16/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love watching Beard on defense but when she's hitting turn around & fade away jumpers I grabbing popcorn & watching her like ok Alana show us you're more than DPOY.

Im convince CP can get a triple double every gm & she will made it look easy.

KT had a couple assists that were worth watching again. Sanders is a good fit next EDD.

jap

PostPosted: 06/16/18 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
I love watching Beard on defense but when she's hitting turn around & fade away jumpers I grabbing popcorn & watching her like ok Alana show us you're more than DPOY.

Keep in mind that Alana was a top scorer herself both collegiately and in her early WNBA years. However, she is an unselfish player who plays both ends of the court, and, when she aligns herself on a team with top offensive talent (e.g., the Sparks), it is natural for her to switch her focus to the often neglected defensive side of the game.

Libra_Girl wrote:

That's the thing about Candace that always amazes me, and why it sometimes baffles me when other posters complain that she is lazy. Candace apparently rolls up stats so quickly and easily that she often doesn't seem like she is doing that much when she is. She is a true Smooth Operator.

I once compared her to tennis great Roger Federer. Before Roger, the male tennis leader was Pete Sampras, who conformed to more of most people's idea of a master player. Sweet Pete played well, but he always seemed to be winning at a cost of great struggle. You felt his aches, his sweat, his pain. Then Roger came along and started blowing records away like they were nothing and did it so seemingly easily that he never seemed to be breaking a sweat---much like CP3.

However, don't be fooled!!! Roger (like CP3) was trying just as hard if not even harder than Sweet Pete. This became brutally apparent during an after match interview when the sports reporter talked about how Roger made his wins appear so easily. Roger responded right away with great passion that he was killing himself out there on every play.

Paraphrasing Roger: "It may look easy to you, but, believe me, it is not!!!"

It helped me realize that many people, even hard core fans who consider themselves astute students of whatever game they love to view, do not always fully appreciate the players who are so damn good they make their sport appear virtually 'easy' because they are so good, so smooth when they play it.

CP3 has come close to triple doubles many times, and I doubt she is even aware or cares how close she is to that mark. I remember once (during her rookie year I believe) she set a distinctive mark for being the first player to make five (5) plays in five different areas (I believe, points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks). People can continue to pretend to draw close parallels between Candace and other players (e.g., Breanna, EDD, etc.), but her offensive versatility is clearly more diverse than these great players. All this because her first coach, her own father, refused to take it easy on his little girl and insisted that she learned to play all five positions on the court very well.

Libra_Girl wrote:
KT had a couple assists that were worth watching again. Sanders is a good fit next EDD.

Kristi has come such a long, long way from her worst game when she was responsible for a WNBA record for T/Os (something like 13 or 14). Even then she greatly redeemed herself by pouring in the game winning trey. As a fan who love to see players develop well, I am so proud of her!

Last edited by jap on 06/16/18 4:59 pm; edited 4 times in total
willtalk

PostPosted: 06/16/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
willtalk wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

No i wouldnt recommend Vadeeva shooting a lot of near 3pointers. That is not her game at all. She needs to be down low and be physical. Let Lavender float around the elbow area.
I would totally agree that it would not make sense for Masha to be jacking up three pointers. Her game is in the paint. That is precisely why I would like to see her take Lavenders minutes. The Sparks have enough players who are capable of shooting from the outside. They need more of an inside game to balance out all the shooters they have. I was just saying that I believe Masha could also shoot from outside if she chose. I have seen her do it in the Euro league when the shot clock was running down.

It's all about replacing a player that does not fill a need with one that does. Lavender plays just like a tall wing. When she was shooting lights out a couple seasons ago she had value, but not anymore. I would put Lavender on the bench as a sub in case she is needed as a shooter or a third post. Parker isn't really a post. Lavender has really become sort of a gimmiky type player. If they could get something for her they could trade her and replace her with a cheaper conventional post who would at least be able to match her inside game. It would not take much skill to do that.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/16/18 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams, Carson and Beard arent really that good from the outside. So that leaves Gray and Sims to give them perimeter shooting.
Trade Lavender for a traditional post like and where does that leave Vadeeva? A traditional veteran post will take her minutes because Agler doesnt trust rookies that much.

Lavender has lost her confidence but i think she can bounce back. So unless you get a decent-solid SF for her then i wouldnt trade her

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 06/17/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="jap"]
Libra_Girl wrote:

Keep in mind that Alana was a top scorer herself both collegiately and in her early WNBA years. However, she is an unselfish player who plays both ends of the court, and, when she aligns herself on a team with top offensive talent (e.g., the Sparks), it is natural for her to switch her focus to the often neglected defensive side of the game.
Libra_Girl wrote:
Im just amazed she can still play at a high level this late in her career on both sides

Libra_Girl wrote:

That's the thing about Candace that always amazes me, and why it sometimes baffles me when other posters complain that she is lazy. Candace apparently rolls up stats so quickly and easily that she often doesn't seem like she is doing that much when she is. She is a true Smooth Operator.

I once compared her to tennis great Roger Federer. Before Roger, the male tennis leader was Pete Sampras, who conformed to more of most people's idea of a master player. Sweet Pete played well, but he always seemed to be winning at a cost of great struggle. You felt his aches, his sweat, his pain. Then Roger came along and started blowing records away like they were nothing and did it so seemingly easily that he never seemed to be breaking a sweat---much like CP3.

However, don't be fooled!!! Roger (like CP3) was trying just as hard if not even harder than Sweet Pete. This became brutally apparent during an after match interview when the sports reporter talked about how Roger made his wins appear so easily. Roger responded right away with great passion that he was killing himself out there on every play.

Paraphrasing Roger: "It may look easy to you, but, believe me, it is not!!!"

It helped me realize that many people, even hard core fans who consider themselves astute students of whatever game they love to view, do not always fully appreciate the players who are so damn good they make their sport appear virtually 'easy' because they are so good, so smooth when they play it.

CP3 has come close to triple doubles many times, and I doubt she is even aware or cares how close she is to that mark. I remember once (during her rookie year I believe) she set a distinctive mark for being the first player to make five (5) plays in five different areas (I believe, points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks). People can continue to pretend to draw close parallels between Candace and other players (e.g., Breanna, EDD, etc.), but her offensive versatility is clearly more diverse than these great players. All this because her first coach, her own father, refused to take it easy on his little girl and insisted that she learned to play all five positions on the court very well.
Libra_Girl wrote:
The best way to describe her skillset is a Jack of all trades master of none but thats what makes her fun to watch because she can hurt teams in multiple ways.The fact she has a jumper,good footwork in the post and can pass means that she has put in work. CP uses more than her size out in the court she really has a high bball iq.

Libra_Girl wrote:

Kristi has come such a long, long way from her worst game when she was responsible for a WNBA record for T/Os (something like 13 or 14). Even then she greatly redeemed herself by pouring in the game winning trey. As a fan who love to see players develop well, I am so proud of her!
Libra_Girl wrote:
I agree it's interesting seeing players develop.It will interesting seeing how EDD & KT chemistry develop. I like how Mike T has them playing on the same side to force team to choose who to guard on pick & roll.

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/17/18 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Williams, Carson and Beard arent really that good from the outside. So that leaves Gray and Sims to give them perimeter shooting.
Trade Lavender for a traditional post like and where does that leave Vadeeva? A traditional veteran post will take her minutes because Agler doesnt trust rookies that much.

Lavender has lost her confidence but i think she can bounce back. So unless you get a decent-solid SF for her then i wouldnt trade her

I never suggested to trade Lavender for a traditional post or even that they had to trade her at all. I said that if the could get a good deal then they should trade her, perhaps for a future draft pick. With Lavender gone they would only have 3 posts and probably would have to pick up another. The could settle for an traditional emergency back up since she would not see the floor anyway.

As some other poster has already mentioned on this site-- I believe you are underestimating Vadeeva. She is not a typical rookie out of college. She has been playing professionally for three years against top level competition for a top team overseas. She was Parkers teammate in Russia. She dropped in the draft because it was questionable if she would play in the USA. LA could afford to take the risk and it paid off. She was considered a lottery pick with many even pegging her as high as #1. LA hit the jackpot getting her where they did. The Sparks couldn't trade Lavender for anyone close to Masha, talent let alone someone who would take her spot.

What do you mean by Lavender has lost her confidence? Do you mean in her shot? Well shooters have good years and lesser years. Does anyone realistically believe she will ever reproduce her 6th player of the year season?

The problem with Lavender is less her shooting than her inability to provide the inside game that LA needs. They only have one player on the roster who plays inside. Parker plays outside - but she has guard skill which makes that an advantage. Lavender likes to play outside where the team does not really need her. Even if her problem was lost confidence that would not solve the latter problem. She plays much too soft for a player of her size. She a big slow finesse player.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/17/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I never suggested to trade Lavender for a traditional post or even that they had to trade her at all. I said that if the could get a good deal then they should trade her, perhaps for a future draft pick. With Lavender gone they would only have 3 posts and probably would have to pick up another. The could settle for an traditional emergency back up since she would not see the floor anyway.

As some other poster has already mentioned on this site-- I believe you are underestimating Vadeeva. She is not a typical rookie out of college. She has been playing professionally for three years against top level competition for a top team overseas. She was Parkers teammate in Russia. She dropped in the draft because it was questionable if she would play in the USA. LA could afford to take the risk and it paid off. She was considered a lottery pick with many even pegging her as high as #1. LA hit the jackpot getting her where they did. The Sparks couldn't trade Lavender for anyone close to Masha, talent let alone someone who would take her spot.

What do you mean by Lavender has lost her confidence? Do you mean in her shot? Well shooters have good years and lesser years. Does anyone realistically believe she will ever reproduce her 6th player of the year season?

The problem with Lavender is less her shooting than her inability to provide the inside game that LA needs. They only have one player on the roster who plays inside. Parker plays outside - but she has guard skill which makes that an advantage. Lavender likes to play outside where the team does not really need her. Even if her problem was lost confidence that would not solve the latter problem. She plays much too soft for a player of her size. She a big slow finesse player.

Trust me i know Vadeeva's game. I followed the Euroleague for years before i started watching the WNBA. I am certainly not underestimating her and i really think she will do well in the WNBA but i think you are forgetting what Aglers trackrecord is like with rookies or younger players.

I think Vadeeva and Lavender can be a good combo off the bench. Let Vadeeva be effective down low and let Lavender float around the elbow area because lets face it she isnt back to the basket player (anymore). Dont give Agler the chance to get another traditional 4th veteran post on this team who he might give more minutes later on while Vadeeva sits. With Lavender around i dont expect that to happen because they dont have a similar game at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: