Maria, say it loud and there's music playing
Say it soft and it's almost like praying
Maria, I'll never stop saying Maria
The most beautiful sound I ever heard
Maria

Last edited by jap on 06/16/18 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 06/10/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You do realize that West Side Story didn't have a happy ending for Maria?

jap

PostPosted: 06/10/18 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
You do realize that West Side Story didn't have a happy ending for Maria?

We exercise poetic license with our takes on stories here in the Land of LaLa.

PostPosted: 06/12/18 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When is it time to give up Lavender? and for who?

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/13/18 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Shades wrote:

{Lyrics to Maria from the musical, West Side Story}

Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria
All the beautiful sounds of the world in a single word
Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria

I've just met a girl named Maria
And suddenly that name will never be the same to me
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Maria, I'll never stop saying Maria
Maria

Let if be followed by another with music from

Old English folk song from 2015 movie Cinderella " Lavenders Blue "

Lavender blue dilly dilly lavenders green
bring in the rook dilly dilly her skills to be seen

Lavenders blue dilly dilly let Lavender's sit
once masha plays dilly dilly she'll be a hit

Just let her go dilly dilly trade her away
Why should that be dilly dilly to let Masha play.

But she shoots three's dilly dilly why let her go
She turns threes to two's dilly dilly and she's much too slow.

Send her away dilly dilly get what you can
look at her stats dilly dilly or ask any fan.

Make Lavender blue dilly dilly or let her be green.
Mystic or Storm dilly dilly let those be her team.

Last edited by willtalk on 06/14/18 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 06/13/18 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
When is it time to give up Lavender? and for who?

It’d be unwise to unload Lavender without seeing how Vadeeva shakes out. So far she’s missed 25% of the season without even trying.

Most teams go with 5 post players, and the Sparks now have 4 with a newly arrived rookie who knows nothing of playbook and apparently needs an interpreter (which Agler didn’t like having to deal with with a previous Polish player when he was in SEA). What wisdom would there be in unloading Lavender? She knows the system and she’s a good insurance policy.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 06/13/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Early Season Assessment

While I am happy to be sitting at 6-2, as I was watching the second half of last night's game against ATL, I couldn't help but think to myself: "We certainly aren't scaring anybody." It could be an issue of early season injuries (Parker), players joining the team late (Lavender, Vadeeva), but the cohesion is still a work in progress and we are having mental lapses, not playing complete games. For example, I thought we played a solid first half last night, and then just disappeared for stretches in the second half when we should have been putting our foot on ATL's throat. Below is my assessment of each player thus far, based upon my subjective preseason expectations. This is cathartic for me to figure out what is going on.

Starters

Ogwumike - Playing at an All Star, if not MVP, level. The most consistent player on both ends of the floor, and it's not even close.

Gray - Second most consistent Spark this year. She has been sloppier than usual with her passing, at least last night against Atlanta. I am not sure what happened to her 3 point shot, but she finds ways to score by bullying her way to the basket or by cutting to the basket and teammates finding her.

Parker - Up and down, but perhaps that is to be expected with her minor back surgery. Her mobility appears to be improving, but it could be affecting her on the defensive side of the ball. Cannot deny the impact she has on the game and for her team, but hoping that the upward trajectory of her performance/health continues.

Sims - Generally happy with how she is performing. Her 3 point shot seems to not be falling with the same consistency, but she has been finding ways to get to the paint and is doing a great job defensively on the other team's PG.

Beard - Maybe I am spoiled by seeing Beard and her intensity over the past several seasons, but she seems a 1/2 step slower. Don't get me wrong, still one of the best perimeter defenders, but something seems a tad bit off for me. Also, her scoring is down and she has not been hitting shots with the same consistency.

Bench

Carson - I have been most impressed with her off the bench. She is hitting her shot at a much higher rate and her defense has been solid. Also, her ability to play minutes at the 4 in a pinch could pay dividends down the road.

Williams - Yes, she has not been scoring much, but I really like the intensity she plays with on the defensive end. I also like her athleticism to get some offensive boards despite being undersized. I was ready to give up on her after last season, but glad that Agler did not. She seems to have really bought in to Agler's system, she is playing within herself and taking shots within the offense.

Lavender - I hope she just needs time to integrate, but disappointed thus far. She regressed last year, and she seems like either she is at the same level as last year or, gulp, regressing further. I hope some time will help.

Pondexter - Didn't love the signing when it happened and yes, this is likely her last year. But she seems to have bought in to Agler's system, and her ability to create her own shot gives the team options if others are struggling. Another player who could situationally provide dividends later on.

Wiese - Haven't seen enough of her to make any informed assessment.

Vadeeva - Glad she's here. Hoping for the best and that she is able to get some minutes.

Last edited by boom*NNEKA*nneka on 06/14/18 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 06/13/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm hoping for the Sparks next game we get to see what Vadeeva can do.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 06/14/18 2:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA* neeka, nice team assessment! I definitely agree!

toad455 wrote:
I'm hoping for the Sparks next game we get to see what Vadeeva can do.

Me too!

Here's a nice article on her: http://lasportsaccess.com/los-angeles-maria-vadeeva-has-landed/

and comments from the author's (Delmy Barillas) twitter:

"...Agler also told me that Vadeeva is getting help around her, new country, new culture but also, English is not her first language, her brother is here, Nneka Ogwumike is helping but emphasized that Candace Parker has been really good about helping her transition. #LASparks .....‏I also sat through warm-ups while Vadeeva was on the floor (to observe the team with her), you can tell that Parker has really taken on that encouraging role with her. She made sure to include Vadeeva in team hurdles, stretches, etc..." This is great to hear and I definitely noticed the connection the two of them had when Parker was on the bench.

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/14/18 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
Early Season Assessment

While I am happy to be sitting at 6-2, as I was watching the second half of last night's game against ATL, I couldn't help but think to myself: "We certainly aren't scaring anybody." It could be an issue of early season injuries (Parker), players joining the team late (Lavender, Vadeeva), but the cohesion is still a work in progress and we are having mental lapses, not playing complete games. For example, I thought we played a solid first half last night, and then just disappeared for stretches in the second half when we should have been putting our foot on ATL's throat. Below is my assessment of each player thus far, based upon my subjective preseason expectations. This is cathartic for me to figure out what is going on.

It seems to me that they are out of sync, probably because of having to integrate Parker and Lavender after playing a different style to compensate with out them. Other than them getting tired they played really well before Parker and Lavender showed up. I think the problem is that Parker is usually so much a part of the offense that trying to blend her in too quickly created the problem. I think most of the problem is trying to get that many pieces in the game and working in sync under game conditions. This early in the season it is difficult to establish any sort of offensive flow with that many players rotating in and out. This is compounded by also attempting to integrate Parkers game in as well. It seems like they are still in training camp mode. Even though she might believe otherwise, Parker is not really a point guard. She has point guard skills but basically likes to play isolation or a two man game with Nika. She really doesn't work to create much ball movement.

Starters

Ogwumike - Playing at an All Star, if not MVP, level. The most consistent player on both ends of the floor, and it's not even close.
Pretty much agree.

Gray - Second most consistent Spark this year. She has been sloppier than usual with her passing, at least last night against Atlanta. I am not sure what happened to her 3 point shot, but she finds ways to score by bullying her way to the basket or by cutting to the basket and teammates finding her.

Shooting in general tends to be streaky. Not enough games played to tell yet. However, she did not shoot 3's well over seas this year. Some of it might have been because she was working on her body. She also used to get a lot of open looks from kick back assists from Parker and Nika which did not happen when Parker was gone still seem to not be happening. We shall see in time if her 3pt percentage picks up or stays as it is. I also think she has been very consistent on defense usually shutting down who ever she is on.

Parker - Up and down, but perhaps that is to be expected with her minor back surgery. Her mobility appears to be improving, but it could be affecting her on the defensive side of the ball. Cannot deny the impact she has on the game and for her team, but hoping that the upward trajectory of her performance/health continues.

I think the main problem with her is that she is trying to do to much too soon. She should be fazed back in slowly. In trying to play her game too soon it throws of the offensive sync. The team was still in sync her first game back but as she became more ball dominate it took the offense out of sync. They needed to give it more time to blend her in slowly. I think she is important to the offense but they were more in sync with out her.

Sims - Generally happy with how she is performing. Her 3 point shot seems to not be falling with the same consistency, but she has been finding ways to get to the paint and is doing a great job defensively on the other team's PG.

Sims also looks more out of sync since Parker returned. I think she is not getting the ball in her hands enough and at the right times to be in become effective. Perhaps using so many player, while useful in keeping people fresh, might have a negative effect in establishing an offensive flow. She does play good on the ball defense, but still often loses her man when they move without the ball. She gets a lot of fouls via over running a late acceleration towards an open shooter.

Beard - Maybe I am spoiled by seeing Beard and her intensity over the past several seasons, but she seems a 1/2 step slower. Don't get me wrong, still one of the best perimeter defenders, but something seems a tad bit off for me. Also, her scoring is down and she has not been hitting shots with the same consistency.

What you see I see too. This might be the year when age catches up to her. But we are judging from still a small sample. I haven't seen her play her same lock down defense as of yet this season. Age sometimes happens very suddenly. She still brings a high IQ to the floor however. I suspect they might be cutting her min. especially if Carter continues to shoot so well.

Bench

Carson - I have been most impressed with her off the bench. She is hitting her shot at a much higher rate and her defense has been solid. Also, her ability to play minutes at the 4 in a pinch could pay dividends down the road.

Same here. If she continues her shooting they should play her more. it would help establish a better offensive sync. Too many players in a game disrupts offensive flow.

Williams - Yes, she has not been scoring much, but I really like the intensity she plays with on the defensive end. I also like her athleticism to get some offensive boards despite being undersized. I was ready to give up on her after last season, but glad that Agler did not. She seems to have really bought in to Agler's system, she is playing within herself and taking shots within the offense.

I agree with your assessment, but I would not play her unless many of the other players are having a really bad game. She hustles but is not that effective defensively. Sometimes players that hustle and are fast give the appearance of playing good D but actually are not that effective. He height is a liability on defense. Unless she is really hot shooting, there are far better players defensively on the team.

Lavender - I hope she just needs time to integrate, but disappointed thus far. She regressed last year, and she seems like either she is at the same level as last year or, gulp, regressing further. I hope some time will help.

She has not looked good and I suspect she will not get any better. She had that one year when she was shooting lights out. When she is not hitting her outside shots she is a liability. The need another post player who can bang inside. Lavender either isn't very good at that or just doesn't want to play there. They have enough outside shooters so she really doesn't supply anything but height. I believe Masha will give them the inside game that they have lacked. Except for Nika they have no one else who likes to post up inside. Parker doesn't. Nika needs some help.

Pondexter - Didn't love the signing when it happened and yes, this is likely her last year. But she seems to have bought in to Agler's system, and her ability to create her own shot gives the team options if others are struggling. Another player who could situationally provide dividends later on.

That seems to be a role she can fill, but it is difficult to establish sync with so many players rotating in and out.

Wiese - Having seen enough of her to make any informed assessment.

Vadeeva - Glad she's here. Hoping for the best and that she is able to get some minutes.

Valdeeva I think ( at least I hope ) she is the piece the Sparks have been missing. Nika needs another inside threat to help her out. Lavender likes to play at the high post and beyond the 3 pt line. Although she always turns those 3's into 2's via her long forward stride during her shot. Masha has a legit post game and other than Nika that is something the Sparks have lacked. As my posts have indicated I would love to see the team move on from Lavender. Hopefully before the season is over Masha will have moved her out of the lineup.

jap

PostPosted: 06/14/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's kind of a shame how Jantel has regressed as a post player since her collegiate days. Throughout college she literally averaged a double double. However, in the pro game she has essentially given up on banging inside.

Ace is primarily a finesse player, and banging is just not her game unless she is overpowering a smaller player. She tends to beat larger players with her quickness, and she also possesses some Gumby-esque body contortion abilities that allows her to complete impossible shots. I remember the first game I ever saw her play on Russia, she went after a ball that was sailing out of bounds. Her body appeared to be hanging out of bounds! while she was airborne, but she managed to magically right herself and land in bounds!

PostPosted: 06/14/18 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
boom*NNEKA*nneka wrote:
Early Season Assessment

It seems to me that they are out of sync, probably because of having to integrate Parker and Lavender after playing a different style to compensate with out them. Other than them getting tired they played really well before Parker and Lavender showed up. I think the problem is that Parker is usually so much a part of the offense that trying to blend her in too quickly created the problem. I think most of the problem is trying to get that many pieces in the game and working in sync under game conditions. This early in the season it is difficult to establish any sort of offensive flow with that many players rotating in and out. This is compounded by also attempting to integrate Parkers game in as well. It seems like they are still in training camp mode. Even though she might believe otherwise, Parker is not really a point guard. She has point guard skills but basically likes to play isolation or a two man game with Nika. She really doesn't work to create much ball movement.

Starters

Pretty much agree.

Shooting in general tends to be streaky. Not enough games played to tell yet. However, she did not shoot 3's well over seas this year. Some of it might have been because she was working on her body. She also used to get a lot of open looks from kick back assists from Parker and Nika which did not happen when Parker was gone still seem to not be happening. We shall see in time if her 3pt percentage picks up or stays as it is. I also think she has been very consistent on defense usually shutting down who ever she is on.

I think the main problem with her is that she is trying to do to much too soon. She should be fazed back in slowly. In trying to play her game too soon it throws of the offensive sync. The team was still in sync her first game back but as she became more ball dominate it took the offense out of sync. They needed to give it more time to blend her in slowly. I think she is important to the offense but they were more in sync with out her.

Sims also looks more out of sync since Parker returned. I think she is not getting the ball in her hands enough and at the right times to be in become effective. Perhaps using so many player, while useful in keeping people fresh, might have a negative effect in establishing an offensive flow. She does play good on the ball defense, but still often loses her man when they move without the ball. She gets a lot of fouls via over running a late acceleration towards an open shooter.

What you see I see too. This might be the year when age catches up to her. But we are judging from still a small sample. I haven't seen her play her same lock down defense as of yet this season. Age sometimes happens very suddenly. She still brings a high IQ to the floor however. I suspect they might be cutting her min. especially if Carter continues to shoot so well.

Bench

Same here. If she continues her shooting they should play her more. it would help establish a better offensive sync. Too many players in a game disrupts offensive flow.

I agree with your assessment, but I would not play her unless many of the other players are having a really bad game. She hustles but is not that effective defensively. Sometimes players that hustle and are fast give the appearance of playing good D but actually are not that effective. He height is a liability on defense. Unless she is really hot shooting, there are far better players defensively on the team.

She has not looked good and I suspect she will not get any better. She had that one year when she was shooting lights out. When she is not hitting her outside shots she is a liability. The need another post player who can bang inside. Lavender either isn't very good at that or just doesn't want to play there. They have enough outside shooters so she really doesn't supply anything but height. I believe Masha will give them the inside game that they have lacked. Except for Nika they have no one else who likes to post up inside. Parker doesn't. Nika needs some help.

That seems to be a role she can fill, but it is difficult to establish sync with so many players rotating in and out.

Wiese - Having seen enough of her to make any informed assessment.

Valdeeva I think ( at least I hope ) she is the piece the Sparks have been missing. Nika needs another inside threat to help her out. Lavender likes to play at the high post and beyond the 3 pt line. Although she always turns those 3's into 2's via her long forward stride during her shot. Masha has a legit post game and other than Nika that is something the Sparks have lacked. As my posts have indicated I would love to see the team move on from Lavender. Hopefully before the season is over Masha will have moved her out of the lineup.

I love the detailed analysis, and it looks like we are 90% + on the same page!!! I am hoping that Vadeeva has a smooth transition and can bang in the post and be effective as you are suggesting.
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 06/14/18 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Karlie has been to a few gms in Staple Centre after getting release, yes she from Cali but it is strange how no team has signed her. Sparks can sign her on June 24 so we will see what happens on that day.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/14/18 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Karlie has been to a few gms in Staple Centre after getting release, yes she from Cali but it is strange how no team has signed her. Sparks can sign her on June 24 so we will see what happens on that day.

Is that the point they can afford to pick up a cheap 12th player? Who informed you of this?

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/15/18 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Perhaps you answered your own question ( why she hasn't been signed yet) with your following statement.
A player does not have to sign with a team just because they are offered. Just speculating, but perhaps she was informed by the Sparks that they would resign her on that date. It might be worth it to Karlie to refuse an offer from a different team to wait and sign with a "hometown" championship contending team.

This might also explain why they kept little used Weise instead of resigning Karlie. They might have had an agreement with Karlie, assured of her availability, where as Weise who is not from Southern Cal and doesn't see herself as lucky to be on a roster might sign where she would potentially get more game time. Or then again maybe not!

Last edited by willtalk on 06/15/18 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 06/15/18 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
Perhaps you answered your own question ( why she hasn't been signed yet) with your following statement.
A player does not have to sign with a team just because they are offered. Just speculating, but perhaps she was informed by the Sparks that they would resign her on that date. It might be worth it to Karlie to refuse an offer from a different team to wait and sign with a "hometown" championship contending team.

I think this is something people forget league wide. Yes this is a business and teams can sign/trade/waive players as they chose, but players also have a say as has been seen with players threatening to sit out if they aren't traded. There have been many situations where players have asked to be released from training camps and not signing contracts, but most people always point out teams or GMs as the reason a player is or isn't traded, signed, or waived.

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/15/18 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I forgot to add that she was released not waived. I think someone mentioned that that portended them possibly resigning her. If she is waived she has to sign with who ever picks her up on waivers where as a release gives her the option of refusal and to sign with whom ever she chooses.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/15/18 5:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I forgot to add that she was released not waived. I think someone mentioned that that portended them possibly resigning her. If she is waived she has to sign with who ever picks her up on waivers where as a release gives her the option of refusal and to sign with whom ever she chooses.

That wasn't a choice. She was 'released' rather than waived because she was signed as an exception and had to be released once LA no longer qualified for it. Any player on a normal contract would have to be waived.

PostPosted: 06/15/18 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:

That would leave us with only three posts. We need to replace Jantel with a banger type or two to relieve our top front court posts in case Nneka, CP3, or Masha start racking up PFs (or even technical fouls).

Is Marianna Tolo even an option next season? Is her body still physically sound or is she experiencing exponential decay physically? Can we target banger types who can actually run the floor, execute defense, and at least get clean up points in the paint?

PostPosted: 06/15/18 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

Here's a nice article on her: Los Angeles, Maria Vadeeva Has Landed

I wouldn't trade Lavender just yet:

Quote:
“Her integration will be slow,” Agler said.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/15/18 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Here's a nice article on her: Los Angeles, Maria Vadeeva Has Landed

I wouldn't trade Lavender just yet:

Quote:
“Her integration will be slow,” Agler said.

and if no-rookie-playing-time Agler says it will be slow, we can believe him.

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/15/18 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also having Lavender and Vadeeva off the bench together is a pretty good combination. Lavender can open things up for Vadeeva down low

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/15/18 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Also having Lavender and Vadeeva off the bench together is a pretty good combination. Lavender can open things up for Vadeeva down low

agree. the only reason to trade her would be to get a starter quality SF as Beard retires.

- Amanda Gorman
willtalk

PostPosted: 06/15/18 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
willtalk wrote:

That would leave us with only three posts. We need to replace Jantel with a banger type or two to relieve our top front court posts in case Nneka, CP3, or Masha start racking up PFs (or even technical fouls).

I totally agree with you, but as you said we are allowed poetic license. Besides I should get more wiggle room than Shades got because I had to rewrite all the lyrics. It made it a lot easier introjecting lyrics calling for her trade. Especially having to incorporate the one about making her Blue and Green via the uniform colors of the teams she would be traded too.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/15/18 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I should get more wiggle room than Shades got because I had to rewrite all the lyrics.

Those were jap's lyrics. I just supplied the picture.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22

Jump to: