RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2018 USA U18 Team

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1939



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:32 pm    ::: 2018 USA U18 Team Reply Reply with quote

USA Basketball sure picked a weird day to announce this:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/04/womens-u18-coaches.aspx

Walz would have been my pick so I think that this is good. I thought that they would go with Close, but she's still an assistant so I think she's the clubhouse favorite for the next cycle.
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1939



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/18 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the tryout announcement:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/05/wu18-trials-roster.aspx
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1939



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/28/18 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The final team has been announced:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/05/wu18-team-named.aspx
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 22618



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nice to see Jenna Brown made the team.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4845
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/30/18 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of the 36 invited, the biggest surprise not to make the team has to be Aquira DeCosta (Baylor), who has been on other USAB teams in the past and was a consensus HS AA. Milder surprises not to make the team are Honesty Scott-Grayson (Baylor) and Shakira Austin (Maryland).

The South Bend Steamroller got the most recruits on the U18 team -- Abby Prohaska, Anaya Peoples and Jordan Nixon -- while Muffet's much more divine Holy Trinity of Recruits/Prospects -- Samantha Brunelle, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd -- have all made the U17 team.
willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 454
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/01/18 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Of the 36 invited, the biggest surprise not to make the team has to be Aquira DeCosta (Baylor), who has been on other USAB teams in the past and was a consensus HS AA. .


DeCosta stayed home attended her high school graduation ceremonies on Saturday the 26, so she got to the tryouts late. That might have been a reason she was not selected.


bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 591



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/01/18 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There have been others in the past who have arrived late and made the tram but who knows really.


Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1887



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/01/18 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could depend on the different committees, I know they rotate or change every so often.


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1236
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/02/18 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Of the 36 invited, the biggest surprise not to make the team has to be Aquira DeCosta (Baylor), who has been on other USAB teams in the past and was a consensus HS AA. .


DeCosta stayed home attended her high school graduation ceremonies on Saturday the 26, so she got to the tryouts late. That might have been a reason she was not selected.


This has to be Geno's fault, correct? Rolling Eyes


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6416



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/02/18 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Abby Prohaska was rated #73 in the country by ESPN/Hoopgurlz. They have her at #21 at her position. How can there be this great of a discrepancy between the two? One has her at "first round draft pick level" and the other has her at "won't even get a WNBA camp tryout" level.


Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3502



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/02/18 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Abby Prohaska was rated #73 in the country by ESPN/Hoopgurlz. They have her at #21 at her position. How can there be this great of a discrepancy between the two? One has her at "first round draft pick level" and the other has her at "won't even get a WNBA camp tryout" level.

I don't expect Abby to make the W, but she was ranked 15th by Blue Star (but 79th by ASGR and 78th by Prospects Nation). She is a glue player who should provide tough defense and do exactly what the coach requests. She made the team last year and played a lot (more than far higher ranked players), so the USA coaches know what they are getting.


willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 454
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/03/18 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players have good and bad days. Sometimes it's a health issue, other times their focus is else were. Too often players are evaluated with a small sample viewing. That is why the discrepancy between rating services. This would also apply when players attend tryouts where decisions are made based on a few sessions. There are just to many variables at work in these situations. People just place to much credence on those selections. there are enough good players available that no player is not irreplaceable. There really isn't that much difference at that level.


CompSci87



Joined: 15 Mar 2009
Posts: 657
Location: Palo Alto, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/03/18 3:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, ratings are opinions, not a science. If there's too much agreement between different services, one suspects groupthink, not that everyone has found the true value of each player.


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1939



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/13/18 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here are the roster changes:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/06/wu18-roster-adds.aspx

I will refrain from criticizing USA Basketball here lest some member of the Colangelo family decides to respond.
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8936



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/14/18 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Here are the roster changes:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/06/wu18-roster-adds.aspx

I will refrain from criticizing USA Basketball here lest some member of the Colangelo family decides to respond.


This is very strange ... "school commitments"? They just realized?

Makes no sense ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12549



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/14/18 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
Here are the roster changes:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/06/wu18-roster-adds.aspx

I will refrain from criticizing USA Basketball here lest some member of the Colangelo family decides to respond.


This is very strange ... "school commitments"? They just realized?

Makes no sense ...


I suspect that after arriving on campus and bonding with their new teammates, Prohaska and Nixon decided to go on ND's foreign junket rather than play U18 ball. The two trips overlapped.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin