RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Extended Choices MVP Poll

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win the MVP trophy this season?
Bonner
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cambage
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Charles
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Delle Donne
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Diggins-Smith
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Fowles
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C Gray
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Griner
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Hayes
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Loyd
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
McCoughtry
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
K Mitchell
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Moore
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nurse
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
N Ogwumike
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Parker
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Quigley
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Stewart
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Taurasi
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Wilson
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 21

Shades

PostPosted: 06/11/18 9:53 am    ::: Extended Choices MVP Poll Reply Reply with quote

This week in the ECMP you’ll notice that it gets harder to maintain that high scoring average with every game. Last week everyone in the Top 20 scorers averaged over 16 ppg. This week that minimum dipped down into the 14’s. It should be noted that no modern era MVP has averaged less than 15 ppg in their MVP season.

No modern era MVP has missed more than 3 games in their MVP season. Some prominent players who have already missed more than that this early into the season include Glory Johnson (5), Courtney Vandersloot (4), and Elena Delle Donne (4). Candace Parker has only missed 3 games.

No MVP has come from a team with a losing record, so those rookie MVP candidates or any candidate coming from the team where Reeve acts as GM have some work to do.... but it’s still early.

Partial statistical guide of the Top 20 scorers

League standings as of 6/11/18

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 06/11/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

23/5/6 is kind of good.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/11/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
23/5/6 is kind of good.

So is 20/11/3/3....

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/11/18 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If New York can get up to at least vaguely decent, I wonder if this is the year that New York Tina Charles gets her "well it feels like time" award. So many of the candidates have someone on their own team who might split credit. Diggins and Cambage, Griner and Taurasi, Stewart and Loyd, Parker/Nneka/Gray, everyone in Connecticut, Moore and Fowles if the Lynx sort themselves out, even Hayes stealing some of McCoughtry's shine. Charles is the unquestioned star and leader in New York (as is Delle Donne in Washington, if she could stay fit for enough games). She might slide in if no one separates themselves like we often see.

PostPosted: 06/11/18 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If New York can get up to at least vaguely decent, I wonder if this is the year that New York Tina Charles gets her "well it feels like time" award.

That's usually for players who haven't previously won the award, like Catchings in 2011. Charles won MVP in 2012.

PostPosted: 06/11/18 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
If New York can get up to at least vaguely decent, I wonder if this is the year that New York Tina Charles gets her "well it feels like time" award.

That's usually for players who haven't previously won the award, like Catchings in 2011. Charles won MVP in 2012.

Yeah, I know, but it feels like long enough ago that people might've half-forgotten. And was why I specified 'New York Tina Charles', as something of a separate entity. But I agree that it doesn't quite fit.

I don't think there really is an aging vet who could get the career achievement MVP at the moment. Unless a "how does Taurasi only have 1!?" narrative develops. And I think people will struggle to argue she's the most valuable player on her own team at this point.

PostPosted: 06/11/18 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yeah, I know, but it feels like long enough ago that people might've half-forgotten. And was why I specified 'New York Tina Charles', as something of a separate entity. But I agree that it doesn't quite fit.

I don't think there really is an aging vet who could get the career achievement MVP at the moment. Unless a "how does Taurasi only have 1!?" narrative develops. And I think people will struggle to argue she's the most valuable player on her own team at this point.

If there is a narrative that takes over, I suspect it will be a Griner drumbeat.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/11/18 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

If the Dream keep winning it could well be Angel McCoughtry. She's the same age now that Catchings was in 2011.

There's also the Sue Bird possibility, unlikely as that seems.

PostPosted: 06/11/18 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I did consider McCoughtry, but she hasn't started the season as quite her old dominant self, and I'd be surprised if she had the same sentimental groundswell of support as Catchings. Bird I just can't imagine having the counting stats to get it however much she's adored. You're not winning MVP on the strength of assist-to-turnover ratio.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: