76%  [ 10 ]
Fever
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 06/09/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I think people here just dont want her to be the Best PG in the league in which she is at this moment . Im not sure what she's done to some of these posters here but she still gets no respect from some rebbies !

x_______

Right now she and C Gray are 1 and 2.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/09/18 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FemmeFatale wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
Skylar's point totals in Dallas wins: 25, 24, 27, 35
Skylar's point totals in Dallas losses: 18, 12, 20

Gee, I wonder why she's looking to score. Oh and she's 3rd in APG in addition to being 2nd in PPG. That's certainly something to complain about Rolling Eyes

Unpopular opinion time: Skylar gets a lot of hate from wnba fans and this board is no exception. Win or lose they always find some way to criticize her. This game is a perfect example of that. She led her team in scoring, steals, assists, and REBOUNDS (she's literally the smallest person on her team!!). And yet, people are bitching about how she's a gunner and whatever else. If someone like Bird or Whalen could even come close to putting up Skylar's numbers, this board would be setting off fireworks.

Laughing

Bird and Whalen have a history of winning. Obviously, the teams you're on have a huge influence on that, but in five WNBA seasons Diggins has one record above .500, two playoff visits, and zero postseason wins. Outside of Notre Dame, she hasn't won a damn thing. You want the populous to be more celebratory and fawning - have all the numbers get you somewhere.

PostPosted: 06/09/18 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
FemmeFatale wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Gee, I wonder why she's looking to score. Oh and she's 3rd in APG in addition to being 2nd in PPG. That's certainly something to complain about Rolling Eyes

Unpopular opinion time: Skylar gets a lot of hate from wnba fans and this board is no exception. Win or lose they always find some way to criticize her. This game is a perfect example of that. She led her team in scoring, steals, assists, and REBOUNDS (she's literally the smallest person on her team!!). And yet, people are bitching about how she's a gunner and whatever else. If someone like Bird or Whalen could even come close to putting up Skylar's numbers, this board would be setting off fireworks.

Laughing

Bird and Whalen have a history of winning. Obviously, the teams you're on have a huge influence on that, but in five WNBA seasons Diggins has one record above .500, two playoff visits, and zero postseason wins. Outside of Notre Dame, she hasn't won a damn thing. You want the populous to be more celebratory and fawning - have all the numbers get you somewhere.

Unlike Bird and Whalen, Diggins has been by far the best player on her team's until this season. And even then Cambage is no LJ.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 06/09/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

To be fair, Diggins got drafted by a terrible team, not a team coming off a winning season, like Whalen and Connecticut, or didn't get to grow playing every year with a sidekick on the level of Lauren Jackson (unless Cambage becomes that, who Diggins only played with as a rookie).
Also, in 2015 the Shock were 8-1 with Diggins (several of those games with Sims out with injury), which may have been unsustainable anyways, but without Diggins due to her ACL injury, Tulsa limped 10-15 the rest of the way.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/09/18 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
FemmeFatale wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Laughing

It's not just that. Dawn Staley was (and still is) beloved and she never won anything in the W.

PostPosted: 06/09/18 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
FemmeFatale wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Laughing

Five seasons? So you're counting 2015 when she injured her ACL in her 9th game with her team at 8-1? That's pretty harsh. The Wings have been bad and/or young during her tenure. And hasn't Fred been there most of the time? I think Bird and Whalen also had better coaches.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/09/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with above who said Diggins and Grey are the best two PGs in the league, and they both have enough talent that they could both be on the floor at the same time. Would love to see them represent the USA.

I do find the continual fawning over her looks a bit annoying along with the ad featuring her which runs over and over and over, but hopefully it does help to bring in some fans. I'd just like to see a bit more parity in the ad world - if you're going to feature one, then feature 10 of the best. If you can't do close ups of them batting their eyes at the camera, that's ok too. I think a lot of the top women are actually really attractive anyway. Griner has a sweet face, even if you don't think she's so sweet. Parker and Maya are obviously attractive. Lots of others as well. I'd like to see features of some that are great players but aren't so traditionally attractive as well.

- Amanda Gorman
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 06/09/18 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
FemmeFatale wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Laughing

Five seasons? So you're counting 2015 when she injured her ACL in her 9th game with her team at 8-1? That's pretty harsh. The Wings have been bad and/or young during her tenure. And hasn't Fred been there most of the time? I think Bird and Whalen also had better coaches.

Seems like Richyyy is part of the I hate Diggins club. Generally, I find his opinions to be informed and well reasoned. I’m a bit shocked. I feel like most people here would have a similar journey to mine. Living in Chicago, I was adamantly opposed to a Diggins coming to the Sky and I booed her when she repeatedly beat the Sky who could not stop anyone on the dribble drive, let alone Diggins who was getting all the calls. I Thought she was a prima Donna and more concerned about her hair and her followers then basketball.

Then we found out we were relocating to Dallas about a week after they announced the Wings were going to a Dallas. Then the Sky I knew blew up and The Wings quickly became my favorite Team. When she’s on your team you love her and the perspective changes.

Aside from the scoring, rebounds, steals, and assists, which should pretty much speak for themselves, she is the unquestionable leader of the Wings. A team with alleged big personalities and minimal head coaching guidance. Despite this, what I’ve visualized at open practices, before games, during games and after games, she has this team with no palpable friction anywhere down the line which speaks volumes of her leadership skills.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 06/09/18 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
FemmeFatale wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Laughing

Seems like Richyyy is part of the I hate Diggins club. Generally, I find his opinions to be informed and well reasoned. I’m a bit shocked. I feel like most people here would have a similar journey to mine. Living in Chicago, I was adamantly opposed to a Diggins coming to the Sky and I booed her when she repeatedly beat the Sky who could not stop anyone on the dribble drive, let alone Diggins who was getting all the calls. I Thought she was a prima Donna and more concerned about her hair and her followers then basketball.

Then we found out we were relocating to Dallas about a week after they announced the Wings were going to a Dallas. Then the Sky I knew blew up and The Wings quickly became my favorite Team. When she’s on your team you love her and the perspective changes.

Aside from the scoring, rebounds, steals, and assists, which should pretty much speak for themselves, she is the unquestionable leader of the Wings. A team with alleged big personalities and minimal head coaching guidance. Despite this, what I’ve visualized at open practices, before games, during games and after games, she has this team with no palpable friction anywhere down the line which speaks volumes of her leadership skills.

Nice post generally, but you should revert to your original opinion of Richyy. I have not found him to hate any player, so I think his post was probably misinterpreted a bit. But I'm sure he will clarify his position.

Skylar was a strong leader at Notre Dame. Muffet empowers the team captains to help keep order, and Skylar led by words and actions. She also showed no fear against UConn, and the team has maintained that 'no fear' attitude since then. While it hasn't led to too many victories since she left the Irish, that attitude may have helped them this season in the Final Four. Most teams have lost to UConn before they step out on the floor, but Notre Dame always believes they have a real chance, thanks to Muffet and also Skylar.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/09/18 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't hate Diggins at all, although I admit I don't find her particularly likable either. Aesthetically, on the court, I prefer the style of someone like Loyd as a scorer, or Vandersloot as a point guard among the newer generation. Off the court I don't really care what she does, but I think the general women's basketball fan not being that fond of her is partly a continuing backlash. She's always had this cadre of fans who adored her, whether she deserved it or not. And when there's a group of people who want to drink her bathwater you can end up reflexively on the other side pointing out why she's not actually quite that good.

I mean, if you want to be picky and go a little beyond the raw counting stats, she's essentially had two good seasons in the WNBA - 2014 and 2017. She was rubbish as a rookie in 2013, hurt early in 2015, and thoroughly ordinary while still somewhat coming back from injury in 2016. And yet some people want to anoint her as practically the female Jordan. You can surely see why some of us might not completely adore her without dismissing us as just h8rs.

PostPosted: 06/09/18 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I don't hate Diggins at all, although I admit I don't find her particularly likable either. Aesthetically, on the court, I prefer the style of someone like Loyd as a scorer, or Vandersloot as a point guard among the newer generation. Off the court I don't really care what she does, but I think the general women's basketball fan not being that fond of her is partly a continuing backlash. She's always had this cadre of fans who adored her, whether she deserved it or not. And when there's a group of people who want to drink her bathwater you can end up reflexively on the other side pointing out why she's not actually quite that good.

I mean, if you want to be picky and go a little beyond the raw counting stats, she's essentially had two good seasons in the WNBA - 2014 and 2017. She was rubbish as a rookie in 2013, hurt early in 2015, and thoroughly ordinary while still somewhat coming back from injury in 2016. And yet some people want to anoint her as practically the female Jordan. You can surely see why some of us might not completely adore her without dismissing us as just h8rs.

I call bull shit. Post still seems riddled with ire. Own your loathing. Having trouble as a rookie happens to a lot of players. Working hard for a standout sophomore campaign should be lauded rather than dismissed as a lucky one of 2 year’s of success. Then you rely on a season with an ACL tear and recovery Year as evidence of her rubbish years, which seems pretty stiff judgment even for someone who just “doesn’t completely adore her.” Then you subversively call her appeal to the masses of buffoons reviling without actually owning it as your own. This at a time when women ballers aren’t paid nearly what their male counterparts are. So you are essentially faulting her for marketing to her fans to insure financial security in the long term. This seems to be less along the lines of irritated W fan and more along the line of h8r. Own it, It’s your opinion.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/09/18 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alternatively, I could just own the words I've actually stated. Yeah, I'll go with that.

PostPosted: 06/09/18 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Alternatively, I could just own the words I've actually stated. Yeah, I'll go with that.

As you should. And as I said initially, I respect almost all your posts and will continue to do so. Do not want to create an issue

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 06/09/18 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

So what you are saying is that she has had only 2 bad seasons: her rookie season, which was very disapppointing, and the year she was returning from an ACL injury. Let's examine her PER over her career:

2013: 9.8 Rookie season. Very disappointing, no argument.
2014: 21.3 Had a great year and won MIP in the WNBA. Also first team all-WNBA
2015: 24.9 Was playing very, very well and had her team at 8-1 when she had a season-ending ACL injury. Despite the return of Odyssey Sims, the Shock went 10-15 over the remaining schedule to finish 18-16.
2016: 13.9 Her recovery year from her ACL injury. Not a good year.
2017: 21.3 A great year: First team WNBA for the second time.
2018: 21.7 A great start to this year. This PER does not even include her great game yesterday where she scored a career high 35 points with 12 rebounds and 6 assists.

So what's not to like? Skylar appears to be heading off to another great season. She is third in assists per game, second in scoring, 9th in blocks, and 9th in FT%. She finally has another star on the team and we'll see how the team does this season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: