RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

R.I.P Anthony Bourdain (June 25, 1956 – June 8, 2018)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 06/08/18 7:05 am    ::: R.I.P Anthony Bourdain (June 25, 1956 – June 8, 2018) Reply Reply with quote

Anthony Bourdain: Celebrity chef found dead at 61

Quote:
US celebrity chef and television personality Anthony Bourdain has been found dead in his hotel room, aged 61, of a suspected suicide, CNN reports.

Bourdain was in Strasbourg, France, working on a shoot for his series, Parts Unknown, on CNN.

"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the cable network said in a statement on Friday.

Bourdain was a best-selling food, fiction and nonfiction author.

Crying or Very sad I loved his shows. They were some of the best travel/food programs ever done.

PostPosted: 06/08/18 7:23 am    ::: Re: R.I.P Anthony Bourdain (June 25, 1956 – June 8, 2018) Reply Reply with quote

I was a fan of his work and I am in total shock. What a loss. Condolences to his loved ones. WOW.

PostPosted: 06/08/18 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First Kate Spade, then Bourdain. You just never know what some people are dealing with on the inside.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Genero36

PostPosted: 06/08/18 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
First Kate Spade, then Bourdain. You just never know what some people are dealing with on the inside.

It breaks my heart that the world is so very inhospitable to so many good, interesting, talented and worthwhile people, famous or not. This is terrible. RIP Anthony.

PostPosted: 06/08/18 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just gutted by this. LOVED him! And my heart goes out to Chef Eric Ripert who was the one who found Anthony.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/08/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bummer man. i liked his vibe.

and btw, the "permanent solution to a temporary problem" mantra reeks of the utmost arrogance to me. who the fuck are you to tell someone how they should feel?

PostPosted: 06/08/18 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stunning and sad.

Here's something weird. Watched a movie on Netflix last night and when I turned off the Netflix it kicks back to DirecTV and CNN is on. Don Lemon talking about Trump and Russia. I sort of just offhand remarked to mrs jammer that "these CNN people are going to start committing suicide" given the repetitiveness of their coverage. Not the same thing, I'm sure, and I wasn't being serious, but weird nonetheless.

PostPosted: 06/09/18 2:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had totally forgotten about the episode until it was referenced by one of my friends today, but in season 8, episode 8: "Buenos Aires", of Parts Unknown, there is an extended segment in which he speaks to a therapist about his struggles with depression. For anyone who has suffered from that horrible, insidious disease, it sounds all too familiar, and knowing now how he will eventually succumb to it, it's utterly heartbreaking.
Quote:

I’d like to be happy. I’d like to be happier. I should be happy. I have incredible luck. I’d like to be able to look out the window and say, "Yay, life is good."

When the therapist asked whether Bourdain ever feels that way, he replied without hesitation, “No.”

Quote:
I will find myself in an airport, for instance, and I'll order an airport hamburger. It's an insignificant thing, it's a small thing, it's a hamburger, but it's not a good one. Suddenly I look at the hamburger and I find myself in a spiral of depression that can last for days.

PostPosted: 06/09/18 3:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There’s so much we could discuss about his life, lifestyle, the pressures and soul-crushing demands of his career and finally his ongoing consumption of an intoxicating substance way beyond a period in his life where you would want to see a recovering heroin addict suffering such an ongoing and I would suggest ultimately inescapable relapse. I’d love to, if it was deemed okay to do so, have a discussion about all of those things and their impact on his tragic ultimate decision to take his own life. Details are so important but it always seems that details are pushed aside in favor of just the blanket over arching diagnosis of depression.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: