RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Extended Choices MVP Poll
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will be the MVP at the end of the WNBA season?
Bonner
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Cambage
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Charles
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Delle Donne
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Diggins-Smith
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fowles
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
C Gray
26%
 26%  [ 12 ]
Griner
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Hayes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Loyd
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
McCoughtry
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
K Mitchell
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Moore
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Nurse
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
N Ogwumike
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Quigley
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Sims
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stewart
23%
 23%  [ 11 ]
Taurasi
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Wilson
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 46

Shades

PostPosted: 06/04/18 6:14 pm    ::: Extended Choices MVP Poll Reply Reply with quote

Pilight’s MVP poll is obviously more about testing (and never tweeking) his quirky algorithm instead of giving us a useful survey. How useful is having most of the respondents choosing “other” and we can’t even see a breakdown of the other?

This is the Extended Choices MVP Poll. I’m sure there will be a few who still won’t be happy because their favorite player doesn’t fit the liberal criteria and that I’m not including the “other” option. The only criteria of the poll is being in the Top 20 in scoring and not missing over 8 games.

Delle Donne has already missed 4 games and looks to be iffy for the near future. She’s probably not the best use of your vote, but you have her as an option if you’re confident she can turn things around.

Mad because Parker isn’t a choice? She’s not in the Top 20 in scoring and she’s only played two games. Maybe she’ll work her way into a poll at a later time.

There’s never been a MVP from a team with a losing record, so that’s probably a good long term criteria, but at this point there’s plenty of time for any team to finish above 0.500. This poll is about projecting who will be the MVP at the end of the regular season... not who is the MVP if the season ended today.

Partial statistical guide of the Top 20 scorers

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 06/04/18 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 06/04/18 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By "people" we mean "Shades". It's a subjective list.

PostPosted: 06/04/18 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh "Shades".....

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/04/18 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Laughing Laughing I was about say why is there "ANOTHER" Mvp poll Question

PostPosted: 06/04/18 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I looked back at what I called it last year, and changed the title to that.

I noticed in previous MVP conversations that allowing a player to miss 8 games is way too generous. In the last decade+, the most games a player has missed in their MVP season is 3. That would already rule out a bunch of players like Delle Donne, McBride, Plum, Vandersloot, and whoever else.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92313

Last edited by Shades on 06/05/18 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/04/18 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

I looked back at what I called it last year, and changed the title to that.

I noticed in previous MVP conversations that allowing a player to miss 8 games is way too generous. In the last decade+, the most games a player has missed in their MVP season is 3. That would already rule out a bunch of players like Delle Donne, McBride, Plum, Parker, Vandersloot, and whoever else.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92313

Parker is exempt dont bring her into this Laughing

PostPosted: 06/04/18 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even with the extended list there is no room for Parker. So that is my pick, Cheyenne Parker.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/04/18 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
This poll is about projecting who will be the MVP at the end of the regular season... not who is the MVP if the season ended today.

So in your opinion, Hayes & Mitchell are more likely to win MVP than Candace Parker?
You're fine with assuming that Wilson could be on a winning team, yet it's not likely that Parker will finish a top 20 scorer?

PostPosted: 06/04/18 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Shades wrote:
This poll is about projecting who will be the MVP at the end of the regular season... not who is the MVP if the season ended today.

So in your opinion, Hayes & Mitchell are more likely to win MVP than Candace Parker?
You're fine with assuming that Wilson could be on a winning team, yet it's not likely that Parker will finish a top 20 scorer?

Not a million light years! But this question is for shades and im anxious to hear this rebuttal Laughing

PostPosted: 06/06/18 3:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just going to say I think Ogwumike is a better candidate than Gray and don't understand why she has 0 votes while Gray gets 11...

Shades

PostPosted: 06/06/18 3:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
I'm just going to say I think Ogwumike is a better candidate than Gray and don't understand why she has 0 votes while Gray gets 11...

Make your case!

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 06/06/18 4:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Make your case!

Alright, some points to consider.

1) Nneka has had to carry basically the whole Sparks frontcourt by herself for the first few games of the season and the Sparks barely missed a beat on both sides of the floor.

2) Nneka is the Sparks' leading scorer on insane efficiency while being effectively the third option.

3) Nneka has way more defensive impact than Gray.

18.6 points, 7 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 2 steals, 68.9% TS
17.8 points, 3.8 rebounds, 7 assists, 1.8 steals, 59.4% TS
These players play on the same team and one is currently the consensus MVP while the other gets no consideration? That just seems wrong to me. Not that I think either should be MVP because Jewell Loyd still hasn't fallen off enough.

Oh and since the question in this poll is "who will be the MVP by the end of the season" are we really expecting Gray to keep up her numbers (especially assists) as Parker starts playing more and running the team again?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 06/06/18 4:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I made these polls, I would have it be Who is the MVP of the League as of Now. Twisted Evil

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/06/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a lot of people voted for Gray because she is putting up numbers that havent been done yet by any PG and she is leading that Sparks team.
Often people choose 1 player on a team that is probably why Nneka is getting overlooked.

I dont think Loyd can continue her great great play throughout the whole season. Stewie on the other hand looks like she can put in another gear so my vote goes to her

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
chapulana

PostPosted: 06/06/18 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm a little surprised Griner hasn't even a single vote.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/06/18 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chapulana wrote:

When she grabs a single rebound then ill consider.

PostPosted: 06/06/18 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
chapulana wrote:

Well as WIlt used to say "Nobody roots for Goliath". Of course they shouldn't - Goliath was a Philistine.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/06/18 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for Nneka without first reading what people were saying just because she was amazing holding down the fort in those first games as the lone post. And was surprised to find mine the first vote. (and admittedly maybe my Stanford bias is showing as well but I don't think anyone else has yet eclipsed that showing)

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/06/18 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chapulana wrote:

She's just kind of cruising and not performing up to the level she could. More effort and yeah, more rebounding would bring her up in the voting, but right now she's at least 5th down on my list.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 06/06/18 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
chapulana wrote:

She's just kind of cruising and not performing up to the level she could. More effort and yeah, more rebounding would bring her up in the voting, but right now she's at least 5th down on my list.

I think people don’t understand or appreciate Griner’s style of defense that doesn’t always result in rebounds for her. She’s patrolling the whole inner circle to discourage entry into the paint and even three point shooting. She’s usually not camped out at the basket.

Now even though camper Cambage has more rebounds than Griner and slightly more bpg, Dallas gives up plenty of points in the paint. That’s why I always bet on post players doing well against Dallas. Remember Fowles WNBA record breaking performance against Dallas?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/06/18 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
chapulana wrote:

I think people don’t understand or appreciate Griner’s style of defense that doesn’t always result in rebounds for her. She’s patrolling the whole inner circle to discourage entry into the paint and even three point shooting. She’s usually not camped out at the basket.

Now even though camper Cambage has more rebounds than Griner and slightly more bpg, Dallas gives up plenty of points in the paint. That’s why I always bet on post players doing well against Dallas. Remember Fowles WNBA record breaking performance against Dallas?

Fowles & Tina Charles are the only ones to dominate in the paint so far this season. And i wont even say DOMINATE because Liz had just as good of a performance herself against both .

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 06/07/18 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
bballgrl

PostPosted: 06/06/18 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
chapulana wrote:

she had 9 rebounds against the Lynx.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 06/07/18 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
chapulana wrote:

She's still having the worst rebounding numbers of her career though. She's not only underperforming on the boards compared to other 5s, but also compared to her career overall.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/07/18 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
chapulana wrote:

She's still having the worst rebounding numbers of her career though. She's not only underperforming on the boards compared to other 5s, but also compared to her career overall.

The patrolling thing is a copout too IMO. Sure it's a factor, but it still doesn't excuse being out-rebounded by Courtney Williams, who I dare say patrols further from the basket than BG does but still finds a way to contest for rebounds once a shot goes up.

PostPosted: 06/07/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
The patrolling thing is a copout too IMO. Sure it's a factor, but it still doesn't excuse being out-rebounded by Courtney Williams, who I dare say patrols further from the basket than BG does but still finds a way to contest for rebounds once a shot goes up.

And you can just see it. Other true bigs slide over to help or challenge shots, then turn to look for the rebound or box out. Griner often tries to come over and block a shot, and then sort of vaguely looks over her shoulder at where the ball's going while it's in the air. She also - as Ann Meyers often points out before I remember to mute her - leaves her feet too often in her attempts to challenge/block, which is obviously going to make it tougher to turn round and get after the rebound.

All of that said, it's amazing how good Griner is while having these flaws. It kinda reminds me of Candace Parker 5 or 6 years ago, when her defense was just pathetic. She was still incredible, there was just this big hole until Agler got hold of her in LA.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: