RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mystics' game time change
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 06/01/18 9:17 pm    ::: Mystics' game time change Reply Reply with quote

The game time for the Mystics' game on June 7th has been changed to 4 pm. The Caps have a game scheduled for 8 pm in Vegas that day. Wouldn't't it be great if some Cap fans showed up early to take in a Mystics game and then have their viewing party later?

PostPosted: 06/01/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be good PR, and since the arena looked packed for the game two watch party, would be a good way to get a seat. Of course, it would require Monumental Sports to get the word out to the Caps fans.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/02/18 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dunno...hockey fans can be intolerant of NBA games...normally using the NBA team and Basketball as a conduit to make racially insensitive jokes whenever rap is played in the arena.

I agree some sort of twofer (Attend mystics game, get to keep seat for view party) or early access (Don't have to leave during that hour in between end of game) would make sense...but likely wont happen.

Im assuming the mystics floor will be down for the view party, not much time to cover it up...and im sure there will be some attendance champion banner jokes about that.

I WOULD at least once the girls catch their breath and cleaned up run them out for a thank you spot for moving the game, even if they get laughed out of the building if 100 more say hmmm ill stop by a game now and check em out cuz of this that's 100 more than you had before...make it known they moved their game to let cap fans in. maybe even have a few circulating...any pr is good pr

PostPosted: 06/02/18 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The attendance banner was taken down many years ago.

I think it's not very likely that Caps fans will leave work early on a Thursday afternoon to watch the Mystics. Even a lot of Mystics fans won't be able to do that.

vallee

PostPosted: 06/04/18 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The "fun" on Thursday will be parking and leaving the arena area after the Mystics game. Since the Caps fans will be pouring in early to get a seat, the parking rates in the surrounding lots are higher than usual.
The potential bright spot: They may have all the concession stands open in the arena, instead of the usual limited selection open for the Mystics games.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/04/18 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A 4pm weekday start likely means about 100 fans will actually show up.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/04/18 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
A 4pm weekday start likely means about 100 fans will actually show up.

So a regular Mystics crowd, then.

PostPosted: 06/04/18 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all the street closures, trying to drive anywhere near the arena, before or after the Mystics game, will be insane. Also, in terms of pre-game parking, nearby garages are typically full or nearly so with office workers that early on a weekday.

I hope anyone going can take Metro.

Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 06/05/18 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, after the Caps took a 3-0 lead tonight, the Mystics lower bowl quickly sold out Laughing people are now reselling tix for the same price as the NBA finals. My guess is monumental will open sections 200/400 tomorrow, which will sell out as well

PostPosted: 06/05/18 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmmm, What Caps fan wants my lower bowl ticket stub after our game? Let the bidding begin!

BTW, I'm glad that the Nationals aren't playing on Thursday. Traffic's going to be bad enough.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 06/05/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone going to the game should read the latest news: all tix are free, all tickets purchased directly from the team will be refunded (including season tix), doors will open at 3pm for the Mystics game (and effectively the Caps viewing party):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2018/06/05/capitals-announce-game-five-stanley-cup-final-viewing-party-will-require-free-tickets-outdoor-viewing-returns/amp/

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/05/18 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Anyone going to the game should read the latest news: all tix are free, all tickets purchased directly from the team will be refunded (including season tix), doors will open at 3pm for the Mystics game (and effectively the Caps viewing party):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2018/06/05/capitals-announce-game-five-stanley-cup-final-viewing-party-will-require-free-tickets-outdoor-viewing-returns/amp/

when I first read that article...I was like ok cap fans bought the lower bowl mystic tickets take the money and the late arriving crowd and run...then I realized the issues was it wasn't cap fans...it was scalpers!...likely right to make it all free and hopefully they WILL get a boost from cap fans who know they can get better seats by watching a little wnba and shorter consession lines to boot...but part of me is like fine they paid...keep the money...its like you never only announced tickets sold and not butts in seats before Rolling Eyes

I don't know how bad the scene got to where it was causing trouble but hey id be like give the mystics a try...get priority (I E good seats) for the watch party.

Hell i'd have the mystics players after cleaning up do some hostung...even 20 more fans would be a big boost...make it the mystics hosting the event

but I guess there was an issue...any insight on how bad it got with the scalpers?

PostPosted: 06/05/18 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What would really suck is a Lynx revenge blow out and the styx stink up the joint in front of probably their largest crowd this season . Hopefully EDD does play...but i wont hold my breath.

PostPosted: 06/05/18 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Washington Post asked Mike Thibault "about the potential awkwardness of playing in front of an arena full of Capitals fans." His reply:

Quote:
I don’t have any expectations. My only concern is that we don’t have a group of Caps fans who are wound up and disrupt our game with all the ‘Let’s go Caps’ stuff while our game is going on. Save that for the end of our game. We really would love to have new fans find out about us. I think that would be a huge positive that, you know, we have another sports team who, up until this year, advanced farther than anybody else. And it would be an eye-opener for a lot of the Caps fans to see what we’re doing and how we’re playing. They’re going to get to see the defending champs, a team we lost to in the playoffs last year. It’ll be a good game for them to get to see us play. Hopefully they like it and come back.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/06/05/capitals-fans-spend-big-money-on-mystics-tickets-only-to-find-out-wnba-game-is-free/?utm_term=.1c7677b2c966

herna220

PostPosted: 06/05/18 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He need to embrace it, not poopoo on it. I live in Minnesota and have both Lynx and Twolves season seats. When the Vikings were in the football playoffs and during Superbowl weekend in Minneapolis the Wolves were milking those football references and cheers for every penny. SKOL chants rang through the arena.

CourtsideTix wrote:
The Washington Post asked Mike Thibault "about the potential awkwardness of playing in front of an arena full of Capitals fans." His reply:

Quote:
I don’t have any expectations. My only concern is that we don’t have a group of Caps fans who are wound up and disrupt our game with all the ‘Let’s go Caps’ stuff while our game is going on. Save that for the end of our game. We really would love to have new fans find out about us. I think that would be a huge positive that, you know, we have another sports team who, up until this year, advanced farther than anybody else. And it would be an eye-opener for a lot of the Caps fans to see what we’re doing and how we’re playing. They’re going to get to see the defending champs, a team we lost to in the playoffs last year. It’ll be a good game for them to get to see us play. Hopefully they like it and come back.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/06/05/capitals-fans-spend-big-money-on-mystics-tickets-only-to-find-out-wnba-game-is-free/?utm_term=.1c7677b2c966

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 06/06/18 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herna220 wrote:
He need to embrace it, not poopoo on it. I live in Minnesota and have both Lynx and Twolves season seats. When the Vikings were in the football playoffs and during Superbowl weekend in Minneapolis the Wolves were milking those football references and cheers for every penny. SKOL chants rang through the arena.

The situation you are describing and what the Mystics are facing on Thursday are very different. I don't read Thibault's quote as poo-pooing anything. In the beginning of his statement he was being refreshingly candid in expressing a legitimate concern about an arena filled with (possibly drunk) Caps fans hours before the puck drop on their own game and who don't want to be there and who will only be there to secure a seat for their viewing party.

Because of the timing of all this, the Mystics have been put in a difficult situation (as have the Caps fans, frankly, who are looking at having to be in the arena for four or five hours before their game even starts).

toad455

PostPosted: 06/06/18 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They would have just been better moving the game to today. Would've forced the Dream into a back-to-back, but I'm sure tomorrow will be a mess there.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 06/06/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To no one's surprise, the free tickets for the Caps watch party tomorrow were gone in minutes after they became available on line today. And Caps fans are trying to buy free Mystics tickets.

Also, according to the second link below, "the Capitals are encouraging fans with viewing party tickets to arrive early. Admission will be via the F Street and Gallery Place entrances, and will begin at 3 PM." That's when admission to the Mystics game starts as well. What a mess for the Mystics, their fans, and the Caps fans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/06/06/capitals-game-5-watch-party-sells-out-within-20-minutes/?utm_term=.b32ab31cafd7

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2018/06/06/caps-fans-sold-out-the-game-five-viewing-party-in-minutes/

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/06/18 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does seem like it would've been better for everybody to find a way to separate the events, whether that meant a different date for the game, or moving one of them to a different venue entirely. But we'll see how it goes. Maybe it just means a noisier crowd for the Mystics, and a few people seeing a WNBA game who never would've witnessed one otherwise. There could be positives.

PostPosted: 06/06/18 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is one case where good cheerleaders could make a big difference. They could direct the disorganized masses into a pretty loud and supportive bunch. Could be fun. And usually it takes a while for people to get drunk so maybe most of the mayhem will occur after the Mystics game is over.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/07/18 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just pray and hope the mystics are competitive.

PostPosted: 06/07/18 4:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I just pray and hope the mystics are competitive.

I'm praying and hoping that the Mystics win too, otherwise I give up all hope on Minnesota sports. 🤢

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 06/07/18 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the print edition of today’s Washington Post, the DC Sports Bog says, “Admission to the...watch party is general admission, first come, first served, according to Monumental, which could create a chaotic scene during the Mystics game. Doors for the game will open at 3 p.m.”

At least during the Mystics game, I hope for the sake of Mystics fans with actual Mystics tickets, sold only for the lower bowl, that they don’t allow anyone else into the lower bowl. Mystics fans should at least get to sit in their own seats and not be competing for them with people who only have Caps watch party tix.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/07/18 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you’re getting a refund on the tickets, I can’t imagine you’ll have any seating rights, but good luck with that.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
vallee

PostPosted: 06/07/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My understanding is that STH will be have open seating in sections 100 and 111 (on the half court line). The rest of the arena will be general seating. Unfortunately, that seems to be a mix of basketball fans who hold specific tickets to the Mystics game, as well as those hockey fans who were able to get free viewing party tickets online yesterday. Since the general admission is first come, first served, Mystics fans who aren't STHs who aren't there when the doors open at 3 pm can anticipate being on the top deck.

I anticipate that the general seating will be chaotic at best.The ushers are going to be very busy. I know I'll be keeping tight hold on my STH ticket, and will only pull it out to show ticket takers or ushers. I don't know what will happen after the Mystics game ends and some of the STHs leave, opening seats up in those two sections.

I'm hearing grumbling from the Caps STHs - they were given no special consideration for access to the watch party. Monumental could have set aside other sections in the lower bowl, such as 101 and 121, as a perk for the hockey STHs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: