RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Samantha Bee under fire
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/31/18 5:47 pm    ::: Samantha Bee under fire Reply Reply with quote

for calling feckless cunt Ivanka Trump a feckless cunt on her show.

The fallout has begun as advertisers flee.

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/390171-state-farm-becomes-second-sponsor-to-drop-samantha-bee-over-ivanka-trump

PostPosted: 05/31/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a big Sam B fan. But. It was crass and tasteless.

To me, a relevant difference is the fact that Sam B IS a "feckless cunt" in her own right (which is part of why I love her, Laughing ), and that's her schtick. Roseanne (also of the same mold) rose to the level of a network sitcom, *representing* Lotsa Americans--ANDDD--made her comments on twitter as a private citizen. ANDDD....while Samantha B's comments were crass, vulgar, unnecessary, vile, misogynistic, rude, and....(etc.)....they were NOT racist: to me, fanning flames of racism rises to the top of the Offenses List, in our current cultural climate.

PostPosted: 05/31/18 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regardless of what IT* is, that was not the way to make your argument.

Sam Bee makes herself look bad and gives ammunition to her 'enemy'. It's not smart. The liberal agenda took a couple of steps forward with RB's tweet. SB just gave them back.

*Her parents didn't do her any favors with her name! And she didn't do herself any by marrying a guy with a last name beginning with K (IK)!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/31/18 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crudity substituting for humor. That follows from having crudity substitute for political discourse, I guess.

PostPosted: 06/01/18 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it hilarious that people are getting mad at her when the whole name calling thing is pretty much stock in trade for anyone on the Republican side of the aisle.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/01/18 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
I find it hilarious that people are getting mad at her when the whole name calling thing is pretty much stock in trade for anyone on the Republican side of the aisle.

That may be so, but remember the words of Michelle Obama: "When they go low, we go high."

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 06/01/18 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

Yeah, there's really no difference from one side to the other

PostPosted: 06/01/18 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Yeah, there's really no difference from one side to the other

Laughing

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1522342#1522342

PostPosted: 06/01/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

That may be so, but remember the words of Michelle Obama: "When they go low, we go high."

How did that work out?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 06/01/18 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

is referring to ivanka as a cunt equivalent to referring to a black woman as an ape?

she's a grifting, lying POS made from the same mold as her grifting, traitorous, racist, fascist, pathologically lying con man father.

whatever your outlook, the biggest problem is the press and GOP's tacit approval of the illegitimate 2016 election and subsequent heinous corruption of the Trump admin.

PostPosted: 06/01/18 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

How did that work out?

Change has to start somewhere. Why not with the libs? Or do you want to continue the way we're going with insults and names being hurled back and forth for eternity. When did we revert to a country of perpetual 10 year olds? Someone has to stop the cycle.

It was a stupid, pointless thing to say. It did nothing to move our country forward.

I don't follow Sam B. now and I won't in the future. She crossed a line. Might not be the same one that RB did, but she still crossed it.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 06/01/18 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

that's fine for the real FLOTUS, but i'm over trying to be nice & taking 'their' feelings into account. these RWNJs can all go kick dust as far as i'm concerned. its the minority running rough shod over the majority.

PostPosted: 06/01/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve spent my entire politically aware life warning my own side as to what they are doing wrong. Crying out in the wilderness. Don’t use tactics of humiliation or name calling or ridicule. Not because I personally have a Gandhi-like outlook or demeanor. I’m a name-calling mother fucker from way back. But because it is politically a horribly destructive posture to take publicly. You completely lose the high ground. And that’s just the least of and most simple to understand problem created by going low or resorting to these tactics to attack your opponents. The real epic nation-destroying issue is when you bleed that ridicule and scorn beyond elected officials and you aim it at voters or demographics. People. Regular-ass, less-privileged, less-educated just plain folks.

But for me here is the worst. The realization that people on my side can’t help themselves. That they are just as cruel and possess the exact same need to beat the fuck out of someone as the worst bully. People don’t give a fuck if they’re ruining the country or the political climate that a nation of diverse people depend on to survive and prosper together. And the ugly truth there is that most of those with a national enough presence to be heard in this country are literally economically privileged people. They really aren’t going to lose if the safety nets continue to fray and the bottom half (or more) of the country falls through the floor. I’m sure somewhere Samantha Bee lives in a 3-4 million dollar home here in LA. She’s not going to be canceled and even if she is she’s still not going to be unemployable by any means as an entertainer, voice for her political viewpoint, author, etc. She’ll just move to HBO.

None of these people have anything to lose by entertaining those of you who want these epically clever writers and comedians to take on your political booger bears for you. So eat it up. But I’ve been on this subject for 40 years. And this is why we are here with this president and why we are going to elect more, but much smarter, Donald Trumps in the future. The change is never coming because you people who eat this shit up don’t deserve it. They suck and so your answer is ‘we suck, too?’ Seriously? Somewhere along the timeline someone, probably out here in Hollywood, said, “Fuck THEM, I’m tired of being the measured ‘nice’ side. Let’s go for the jugular and heap as much ridicule and humiliation as we possibly can on every last goober out in red state America.”

I can’t warn people anymore. I’m worn out trying to get through the callous thick skulls of cruel people. Samantha Bee can go straight to hell for ridiculing tens of millions of Americans and alienating them in the process. Like her, I’m not going to suffer the economic or social consequences of America falling apart. I’ve run out of fucks to give about what all this hostility is going to breed. Good luck to the rest of you.

PostPosted: 06/01/18 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few MINOR Rolling Eyes points. I apologize for ALL CAPS, but here goes:

CLINTON WON THE ELECTION.

RUSSIAN INVOLVEMENT and GOP-led "CROSSCHECK" ENABLED TRUMP TO "WIN".

VOTERS WHOSE PRIMARY CONCERN WAS ECONOMICS FAVORED CLINTON.

JAMES CLAPPER SAYS RUSSIANS SWAYED THE ELECTION AND TRUMP IS ILLEGITIMATE.

Can we PLEASE drop the faux storyline about the "poor, left-behind, emasculated, white male Trump voter"?

The 2016 election was STOLEN folks, and this corrupt, motherfucking con man must be removed.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 06/01/18 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/01/18 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Political discourse sure has come a long way from the days when author-commentator William F. Buckley verbally threatened novelist Gore Vidal on national television by saying, "Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll sock you in your Goddamned face, and you’ll stay plastered!"

Or maybe not. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 06/01/18 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Can we PLEASE drop the faux storyline about the "poor, left-behind, emasculated, white male Trump voter"?

The 2016 election was STOLEN folks, and this corrupt, motherfucking con man must be removed.

X_____________________

I am so fucking sick of hearing about white male pain. They fucking made their bed when they refused to vote for (or concern themselves) with anything that might have helped them - simply because it would also help a person of color or woman.

Ivanka is EXACTLY what Sam B called her. She’s no victim. If we are looking for victims, why not start at the 1500 kids the government lost.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Samantha Bee delivered her line in the characteristic smugness of this genre, but it is entirely misplaced. If you are going to act like you are in the right, don't use false terms. She isn't criticizing Trump's "immigration policy", she's advocating for illegal immigrants and for the United States immigration policy to be ignored. Strangely, she and all the other sanctimonious virtue signaling snowflakes don't want an open border with Mexico/Latin America. Perhaps that would be too many Mexicans? Or does she want an illegal workforce so she can save money? I never hear that analyzed - why are we presented with news about "undocumented immigrants" night after night on TV - and yet none of the people who can't bring themselves to say "illegal immigrants" call for an open border or higher quotas from Mexico/Latin America.

Somehow we are in this surreal situation where the law is considered fine, but shouldn't be enforced. No one seems to want to admit it - but they want an illegal workforce. They rationalize it by saying that "They only do the jobs Americans won't do" (construction is the second highest employer of illegal workers) and by calling for occasional amnesties.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

X_____________________

I am so fucking sick of hearing about white male pain. They fucking made their bed when they refused to vote for (or concern themselves) with anything that might have helped them - simply because it would also help a person of color or woman.

Ivanka is EXACTLY what Sam B called her. She’s no victim. If we are looking for victims, why not start at the 1500 kids the government lost.

What is your definition of "feckless cunt" and how does it EXACTLY apply to what you know of Ivanka Trump?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/04/18 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

X_____________________

What is your definition of "feckless cunt" and how does it EXACTLY apply to what you know of Ivanka Trump?

I would define "feckless cunt" as a women who lacks the strength of character to stand up for a basic position that she seems to espouse. In Ivanka's case she posted a picture of herself with her son showing what appears to be true affection for her son. That love is something to celebrate, but when it is juxtaposed against a policy of taking children away from their mothers the contradiction is stark. And given that Ivanka has an official position in the White House as well as being the president's daughter, she is in a position where she could stand up for a policy that would allow for basic human dignity by allowing parents and children to stay together until a final adjudication of their case is made. That would be the resonsible thing to do and her words might have some affect on her father.

So to Ivanka Trump, my wish is that she gets "fecked."

Howee

PostPosted: 06/04/18 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I would define "feckless cunt" as a women who lacks the strength of character to stand up for a basic position that she seems to espouse. In Ivanka's case she posted a picture of herself with her son showing what appears to be true affection for her son. That love is something to celebrate, but when it is juxtaposed against a policy of taking children away from their mothers the contradiction is stark. And given that Ivanka has an official position in the White House as well as being the president's daughter, she is in a position where she could stand up for a policy that would allow for basic human dignity by allowing parents and children to stay together until a final adjudication of their case is made. That would be the resonsible thing to do and her words might have some affect on her father.

This isn't so far removed--in principle, at least--from Melania taking a soapbox on bullying, while her husband is The World's Most Prominent Bully. And while Ivanka and Melania's 'fecklessness' may be politely noted by certain sources, we all know we now live in a society where crudeness and vulgarity are the best ways to put the most glaring of spotlights where they're needed.

PostPosted: 06/04/18 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can we all at least agree that public figures should probably refrain from calling female members of this (and any) administration c*nts, not matter who feckless they are?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 06/04/18 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Can we all at least agree that public figures should probably refrain from calling female members of this (and any) administration c*nts, not matter who feckless they are?

i don't give the c word as much power as most seem to.

it's the female version of prick, and that's all. for some reason, it's achieved lofty status in the world of profanity.

Trump is a prick and his daughter a feckless cunt.

PostPosted: 06/04/18 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm Canada, the UK and Australia, the "c" word is almost meaningless and is used in daily conversations. So to most foreigners, this debate is meaningless.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/04/18 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

This isn't so far removed--in principle, at least--from Melania taking a soapbox on bullying, while her husband is The World's Most Prominent Bully. And while Ivanka and Melania's 'fecklessness' may be politely noted by certain sources, we all know we now live in a society where crudeness and vulgarity are the best ways to put the most glaring of spotlights where they're needed.

Actually I give Melania more credit. At least she has taken the issue on. She hasn't done much yet. but she has at least made it an issue and the world has been able to draw its conclusions. Ivanka came in supposedly advancing the issues of women. She supposedly was involved in drawing her father's interest to the horrors being visited upon Syrian children. She advocated for child care, but then backed a plan specifically designed to help rich mothers. She is the most visible woman in the White House and yet she runs from any substantive issue relating to women. Her position seems to be that as an advisor to the president she should have a high profile (although noticeably lower given the financial scandals enveloping her ans her husband). When it comes to tough questions like responding to comments by the president she reverts to being "daddy's little girl."

As for the vulgarity, I agree with Howee. Samantha Bee has used that type of language throughout her show. This is by no means the first time she said the word. "Cunt" anf "Fuck" are bleeped out, other words are generally allowed. Saying such things is no more vulgar than many of the things Trump said while running for president, and he has used "cunt" on at least a few occasions himself. The difference is that SB used the words in service of making a political statement relating to an abhorrent public policy.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 06/04/18 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Or does she want an illegal workforce so she can save money?

It's not at all about money. The thought that it is comes from a normal perspective that says it must always be about the money. But this a new world we're living in and it's very hard for people to understand or accept some of the key components of these new realities. Humbly assume first that things have passed you by because it's nearly impossible to keep up with shifting economic dynamics that occur largely outside of public discussion or visibility.

That's the first step. Because a place that wields so much political power over the Democratic Party and its politics and written and unwritten platform issues has seen a global coalescence of some of the most wealthy people on earth. That has, consequently, helped to enable the accumulation of even more wealth by those who already owned most of the prized real estate in California. Homes that were 800K 15 years ago are now 3.5M. That multiplied over a sprawled landscape of single family enclaves that stretches in places five miles (or more) inland along the coast from San Diego to Ventura County and picks up again through Santa Barbara and then explodes the closer you get to the Bay Area.

The money involved in paying for domestic help or groundskeeping is SO minuscule, so INCREDIBLY insignificant to the wealthy of California that it's practically impossible for most of us to understand. These are like frequencies we can't hear. But in order to REALLY understand what you're dealing with here, you have to completely put away the notion that illegal immigration matters to the wealthy and politically powerful Democrats of California because of money. You can't fight it if you're that far off the mark.

This is about people. From Mexico comes a people who are, in the modern context of worker/employer dynamics, a throwback to another era, OR, simply, another era in America. They are perfectly suited to working for the wealthy. There is no jealousy. There is extreme deference. There is no attitude. There is no unnecessary conversation. They work incredibly hard. They never miss work. There are no excuses. There is just rock-solid service.

AND, best of all, there are the optics. To call the optics perfect is an understatement. They are beyond perfect. The optics are nothing less than the landscape of California. Anything other than these exact optics would look grossly out of place and inappropriate. Awkward. Uncomfortable. To any of us who saw Get Out, what did it feel like when the lead character walked onto his girlfriend's parents property and noticed that all the help was black? We didn't need to see it through his eyes. WE saw it through our own eyes, instantly. You really can't have that now in America. White rich people and black service staff.

BUT... lol... you CAN have rich white people and an all Latino service staff. That is the landscape of California and it's incredibly important that nothing ever interferes with the ability of the wealthy of California to continue to employ immigrant labor in their homes and on their properties. There simply are no alternatives. So if people here or anyone else who really possessed and understood this information STILL insists in believing that the Democratic Party positions, the EMPHASIS in the party in support of illegal immigrants and a soft-border and sanctuary cities etc. is really about a humanitarian concern for these poor people... that YOUR Democratic Party is keeping this issue front and center in the mindset and concerns OF its base... DUE to the inherent benevolence of the powers behind the Democrats and their initiatives... wow. I'm sorry for you and I'm sorry for our country. This is not a political issue born out of compassion or benevolence. It is born out of the cold-blooded lizard-brained expediency of clever calculating people and YOU Democrats have probably been bamboozled if you believe otherwise.

That's not to say I advocate a crackdown on people who are here. OMG, no. I don't. I have a maid. I just want people to know the truth, talk about these things from a position of knowing and understanding the truth, knowing who exactly is the Democratic Party and why this issue is being fought over in the state of California all the way into the halls of Congress, SCOTUS, Oval Office, etc. No one on earth needs to accurately and truthfully understand who runs the Democratic Party and its issues more than the grass roots base of the Democratic Party itself. That is the only path towards true change in this country. See Bernie Sanders' interview on Bill Maher's show last week. He nailed it, as best as he can without alienating his own (bamboozled) far-left base of support.

Think slavery. How did slavery enrich and make wonderful the lives of slaveowners in the antebellum South? What lengths did those slaveowners go to in their efforts to hang onto their slaves? How about succession and a civil war. The world and the things that go on in it don't change that much especially when they involve the basics. Who is going to clean this house? Who is going to keep up these lovely grounds? Who is going to cook my dinner and serve me? I can't do these things myself. I'm fucking ridiculously wealthy. I've never done any of these things for myself. Ever.

So I mention the enrichment of slaveowners and that probably sounds like I'm allowing that money IS a factor in the desire of wealthy Californians to continue to employ cheap immigrant labor. No. Yes, no-cost labor enabled wealthy southerners to become much more wealthy and for the south to have an outsized presence in the American economy a century or more ago. AND... California's elite definitely prospers greatly financially due to the presence of a well-established immigrant labor base here. The wealthy of the world can come here and know they will find a docile acclimated population of domestic workers and THAT impacts the degree to which the affluent of the world choose California as the place to own properties and spend their time. So it does certainly ultimately further enrich the affluent here. But it's not because these folks work for cheap wages.

Anyway.

So I posted a photo on my blog a while back. Took me FOREVER for some reason to come up with the perfect title that tells but doesn't tell my intent in posting the shot.

But this image is what inspired me to start the thread here asking about who on Rebkell's had a private K-12 education vs. those who went to public schools. For me, and I've lived here for over 30 years but you all from other places can argue with me to your disagreeable hearts' content, this single image captures the truth about California and the dynamic that exists here between the two principle actors in the immigration debate: the affluent white person and the immigrant laborer. This image was taken in front of a private school that I drive past very frequently. It is of a sidewalk bake sale. The school is outrageously expensive. The shadows are wonderfully favorable to the story that I think the image tells. I posted it to my blog under the title, Where the Sun Don't Shine. I've cloned out any writing that might make the school identifiable as I don't need to tangle with the most affluent here. But you can click on the image (twice) for a full-size version so you can examine the details.

Oh. Question. Is that what a bake sale looks like where you all come from? Cool

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: