RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Race to MVP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapulana

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even if Las Vegas were/finished 4-30, those Power Rankings include 10 players and A'ja should be in, at least in the 8-10 rank IMO.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has the MVP ever been on a losing team?

toad455

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

no, but in 2007 Lauren Jackson won the award with the Storm only finishing 17-17.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Lauren Jackson has won MVP three times, twice on 18-16 teams and once on a 17-17 team. She has flirted the most with breaking the “winning team” guideline. I assume MVP can’t be on a losing team, but I’m not sure that’s a written rule. In the case of Wilson, if LVA greatly improves their record from when they were last SAN, maybe that’ll be enough, especially if the media panel are tired of giving it to a usual candidate.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 06/03/18 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDHoops

PostPosted: 06/03/18 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol @ Nneka. Oh em gee with all the candidates this year. Lobo must be slipping 20's to the interns

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 06/03/18 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If A'ja Wilson is statistically a top player in the league, and you are convinced the Aces would flirt with being the worst team (record-wise) of all time without her, which would confirm those stats aren't "empty", all the more power having her as a fringe MVP candidate.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/03/18 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there much 'value' in being 8-26 instead of 3-31? Ah, the ago old questions of award-giving.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Is there much 'value' in being 8-26 instead of 3-31? Ah, the ago old questions of award-giving.

They stunk before Wilson, and are currently stinking with her. Yes, she’s been great but no legitimate MVP candidate should be on a bottom feeding team, no matter how good one individual player has been, imo.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/03/18 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A'ja Wilson is almost definitely the rookie of the year, but she is far from MVP. She is scoring because there are no other scoring options on the team. She is subpar defensively. She is the best player on the second worst team. She should be an all-star, but with Griner, Parker, Fowles, Cambage, Ogwumike and Stewart it may even be tough to find a spot as a C/PF on the West.

Give her (and Laimbeer) time to build a team around her and maybe she can be in the MVP discussion, but she isn't there yet.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/03/18 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Lauren Jackson has won MVP three times, twice on 18-16 teams and once on a 17-17 team. She has flirted the most with breaking the “winning team” guideline. I assume MVP can’t be on a losing team, but I’m not sure that’s a written rule. In the case of Wilson, if LVA greatly improves their record from when they were last SAN, maybe that’ll be enough, especially if the media panel are tired of giving it to a usual candidate.

2010?

Wilson might not even be an allstar this season with Stewart, Cambage, Griner, Nneka and probably Parker

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/03/18 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
A'ja Wilson is almost definitely the rookie of the year, but she is far from MVP. She is scoring because there are no other scoring options on the team.

Shocked

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/03/18 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

2010?

Wilson might not even be an allstar this season with Stewart, Cambage, Griner, Nneka and probably Parker

With balanced schedule and league-wide playoff format it's a nonsense that being in the wrong 'conference' could keep someone out of the All-Star game anyway. Conferences essentially don't exist. Vote the best players league-wide and then pick teams.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the "realer" real list j/k (not really) (no one from a below .500 team)

1. C. Gray
2. A. Thomas
3. J. Loyd
4. N. Ogwumike
5. D. Taurasi
6. E. Cambage
7. B. Stewart
8. A. Bentley
9. K. Nurse
10. D. Deshields

11. The entire Mystics team and Mike T.
12. C. Miller for bringing J. Jones off the bench and making it work

Last edited by J-Spoon on 06/03/18 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 06/03/18 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Lauren Jackson has won MVP three times, twice on 18-16 teams and once on a 17-17 team

Jackson won in 2003 for an 18-16 team, 2007 for a 17-17 team, and 2010 for a 28-6 team.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

2010?

With balanced schedule and league-wide playoff format it's a nonsense that being in the wrong 'conference' could keep someone out of the All-Star game anyway. Conferences essentially don't exist. Vote the best players league-wide and then pick teams.

I like this idea but who picks & who decides the pool of players to pick from?

PostPosted: 06/03/18 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

I’d vote for Wilson over any of them. I think a lot of people will. People love rookies and she’s killing it.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/03/18 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

2010?

I like this idea but who picks & who decides the pool of players to pick from?

Would probably end up showing how badly distributed the talent in the WNBA really is. I could see only 2 to 4 east players making the ASG - Charles, Angel, and 1 or 2 from the Sun, maybe EDD if she is healthy (though she has never actually played in an ASG yet, if my memory is correct, and if not I'm someone will correct it.)

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 06/04/18 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voting Wilson over Cambage, Nneka, Parker, Griner, AND Stewart? Laughing Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 06/04/18 2:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess some people still aren’t familiar with the concept of the All-Star game. You vote for the players you wanna see there, not necessarily the consensus most deserving players. How silly would it be for a Lynx fan to vote for Sparks or Phoenix players, especially considering the All-Star game is coming to Minneapolis? Laughing

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/04/18 4:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I guess some people still aren’t familiar with the concept of the All-Star game. You vote for the players you wanna see there, not necessarily the consensus most deserving players. How silly would it be for a Lynx fan to vote for Sparks or Phoenix players, especially considering the All-Star game is coming to Minneapolis? Laughing

My point was that Wilson might not even be an allstar let alone having a chance at MVP because there is so much talent at her position

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/04/18 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I guess some people still aren’t familiar with the concept of the All-Star game. You vote for the players you wanna see there, not necessarily the consensus most deserving players. How silly would it be for a Lynx fan to vote for Sparks or Phoenix players, especially considering the All-Star game is coming to Minneapolis? :lol:

This is one of the problems with All-Star games, and All-Star voting. I would much rather have the All-Star game be for the players who have earned the distinction through superior play that season. Being an All-Star should mean something other than being popular.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/04/18 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Shades wrote:

This is one of the problems with All-Star games, and All-Star voting. I would much rather have the All-Star game be for the players who have earned the distinction through superior play that season. Being an All-Star should mean something other than being popular.

Especially considering 'X All-Star appearances' is used as an accolade and indication of how good someone was when looking back at their career. The unwarranted appearances make that less accurate than it otherwise might be.

The most entertaining part of the all-star nonsense every year is the debate over who ought to get in. Far more so than any of the actual 'festivities', including the terrible game.

PostPosted: 06/04/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Shades wrote:

+1

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 06/04/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Especially considering 'X All-Star appearances' is used as an accolade and indication of how good someone was when looking back at their career. The unwarranted appearances make that less accurate than it otherwise might be.

The most entertaining part of the all-star nonsense every year is the debate over who ought to get in. Far more so than any of the actual 'festivities', including the terrible game.

X _______________

Shades

PostPosted: 06/06/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/news/race-to-mvp-week-3-ogwumike-griner-remain-on-top/

1. Nneka Ogwumike, Los Angeles Sparks
Last Week: 1
2. Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury
Last Week: 2
3. Breanna Stewart, Seattle Storm
Last Week: 4
4. Chelsea Gray, Los Angeles Sparks
Last Week: 5
5. Alyssa Thomas, Connecticut Sun
Last Week: 9
6. Jewell Loyd, Seattle Storm
Last Week: 6
7. Tina Charles, New York Liberty
Last Week: 7
8. Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota Lynx
Last Week: 3
9. Liz Cambage, Dallas Wings
Last Week: 10
10. Diana Taurasi, Phoenix Mercury
Last Week: Unranked

I would...
*Bump Stewart to #1
*Flip Thomas and Gray, although Thomas needs to get up above 15 ppg
*Charles, Fowles, and Cambage should shoot up if their teams can rise above 0.500
*Give Wilson some recognition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: