70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 17

tfan

PostPosted: 06/02/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:
justintyme wrote:

As for everything else, it's almost as though the past 7+ years didn't happen and perhaps the greatest Dynasty the league as ever seen didn't exist. Anyone who didn't think that it would eventually end is foolish. And we knew that it would happen eventually because the team promised their players they could stay as long as they wanted and they would never be cut or traded. That they would be able to go out on their own terms.

What are you referring to when you say "the team promised their players they could stay as long as they wanted and would never be cut or traded"?

Exactly what it says. Brunson, Whalen, and Augustus were all told directly by the team that they would always be a Lynx until they decided to hang it up.

This was reported in the newspaper? What was the purpose of making the promise?

tfan

PostPosted: 06/02/18 6:55 pm    ::: Re: I figured this year was 50/50 Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:

If they don’t pick it up this season, I think you have to tell them it’s time.

According to justintyme (my Android tablet auto-corrects that to "misfortune") they can't/won't do that.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/02/18 7:23 pm    ::: Re: I figured this year was 50/50 Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
I figured age would rear it’s head either this year or next. And I figured Whalen and Augustus might be first to signal the end because Whalen would lose quickness and Seimone’s knees would hurt her pretty jump-shot late in games.

The Lynx won’t trade Seimone or Whalen or Brunson. They will have to retire.

If they don’t pick it up this season, I think you have to tell them it’s time. And then I think you trade Big Syl and Maya and reload with youngsters and draft picks and prepare to suck for a bit.

We’ve sucked before, lol. We can take it.

A team which Moore and Fowles would already have a great nucleus and could attract good FA's. I'd think they could build a good team pretty quick and it would make sense to do so before Fowles gets old and the window closes.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/02/18 8:50 pm    ::: Re: I figured this year was 50/50 Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

A team which Moore and Fowles would already have a great nucleus and could attract good FA's.

Oh yeah, where were they this season?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 06/02/18 9:55 pm    ::: Re: I figured this year was 50/50 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

A team which Moore and Fowles would already have a great nucleus and could attract good FA's.

They weren't there this season because they knew they would be sitting on the bench behind the vets and even if they would be inclined to come - the Lynx were short on cap space due to the same vets.

Of course, a lot of years there are no good FA's. But I'd rather start with Fowles, Moore and a lot of cap space then a bunch of draft picks.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/02/18 10:39 pm    ::: Re: I figured this year was 50/50 Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

They weren't there this season because they knew they would be sitting on the bench behind the vets and even if they would be inclined to come - the Lynx were short on cap space due to the same vets.

Of course, a lot of years there are no good FA's. But I'd rather start with Fowles, Moore and a lot of cap space then a bunch of draft picks.

The Lynx don’t need anything drastic. This season if they keep Howard, don’t sign DRob and keep the first round pick, they’re golden. After they chalk up #5, then maybe they can get silly.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 06/03/18 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:
justintyme wrote:

As for everything else, it's almost as though the past 7+ years didn't happen and perhaps the greatest Dynasty the league as ever seen didn't exist. Anyone who didn't think that it would eventually end is foolish. And we knew that it would happen eventually because the team promised their players they could stay as long as they wanted and they would never be cut or traded. That they would be able to go out on their own terms.

What are you referring to when you say "the team promised their players they could stay as long as they wanted and would never be cut or traded"?

Exactly what it says. Brunson, Whalen, and Augustus were all told directly by the team that they would always be a Lynx until they decided to hang it up.

It was reported in an interview with Whalen and referenced in other places as well. The purpose of the promise was a "we've got your back" culture allowing for a super tight-knit team. The same article mentioned about how they are all more than teammates and are constantly hanging out together outside of basketball. It was also a recognition of everything the did in building the dynasty and how they weren't going to be tossed to the side once they hit their decline. It was a tacit understanding that this is "their team" and it would always do right by them.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 1:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wasn't montgomery a solid backup to Whalen? i think she too is being missed.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 06/03/18 2:15 am    ::: Re: I figured this year was 50/50 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The Lynx don’t need anything drastic. This season if they keep Howard, don’t sign DRob and keep the first round pick, they’re golden. After they chalk up #5, then maybe they can get silly.

Absolutely. If the Lynx wouldn't have any cap space (I don't know how much money Kizer is making, because signing her, and having enough money for a 12th player in the future was unnecessary) after re-signing Howard, then they have no need for D-Rob (and I am a D-Rob fan) until Whalen retries, especially since they had the Tanisha Wright signing in place for having a vet guard. There are plenty of bargin-bin vet/rookie players out there to choose from.
Neither Shades nor I said any of the Lynx's old starters need to be cut/traded. Forcing Brunson to play 35 minutes in a game and the Lynx losing because the Lynx post depth is pathetic isn't protecting the legacy of the Lynx veterans.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 06/03/18 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
wasn't montgomery a solid backup to Whalen? i think she too is being missed.

I thought Alexis Jones could grow into the "get hot from 3" role off the bench, but because she isn't a vet, she has been banished to the end of the bench, even in games where Whalen appears to have nothing in the tank and Jones couldn't be any worse, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is messing with Jones' confidence.
I am 100% convinced Reeve got rid of Howard (because it is obvious now that there is nothing wrong with Howard. Howard IS a really good player, and really good players are always worth the max, and any team can afford one or two (near) max bench players, and you always figure out how to utilize talent) because Howard wasn't "vet" enough for her, and Reeve is too stubborn is allow a "younger" player to have a major role (including top 6th player) on any of her teams, unless that player was a National Player of the Year winner/finalist. If Jantel Lavender could accept having the Sixth-Woman of the Year role for the Sparks to help them win in 2016, I have zero reason to believe Howard wouldn't either (well, of course Chiney or Jonquel will win 6WOY this year, but you know what I mean).

tfan

PostPosted: 06/03/18 6:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

tfan wrote:

It was reported in an interview with Whalen and referenced in other places as well. The purpose of the promise was a "we've got your back" culture allowing for a super tight-knit team. The same article mentioned about how they are all more than teammates and are constantly hanging out together outside of basketball. It was also a recognition of everything the did in building the dynasty and how they weren't going to be tossed to the side once they hit their decline. It was a tacit understanding that this is "their team" and it would always do right by them.

Personally, I would play better and do more saluting and high fiving if I knew that I could be cut or traded, rather than the reverse. I hope we get to see all 4 suited up on the Lynx bench into their 40's. Although I suspect they would have lockers in the janitor's supply closet at that point and be subjected to regular questions of "what are your plans?" were Cheryl Reeve still around and honoring her promise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: