RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cal coach Lindsey Gottlieb and Southwest Airlines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 05/30/18 1:15 am    ::: Cal coach Lindsey Gottlieb and Southwest Airlines Reply Reply with quote

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/05/29/southwest-airlines-confronts-cal-womens-coach-over-infant-son/

Quote:
California Women’s head basketball Lindsay Gottlieb was confronted at the Denver airport by a Southwest Airlines employee who questioned her relationship to her infant bi-racial son before she could board a flight.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is beyond bizarre, and a stain on Southwest Airlines.

My daughter has a family of multiracial children and stepchildren whose skin shades and last names are all over the map. They would make this employee's head spin and I hope they never encounter him/her. For one thing, both my daughter and her husband have rather short fuses.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

omg! As she says, as a privileged white woman she is able to get the message out. Just think if a black women with a white baby were treated this way and what if she didn't have a passport. Lots of women don't have the same last name as their baby. Plus the whole thing of asking about a facebook post Shocked Totally bizarre. I hope this goes viral.

- Amanda Gorman
Brinx

PostPosted: 05/30/18 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess Denver airport must be a big enough airport to require both passport and a birth certificate. It's almost suprising Lindsey has flown as much as she has and hasn't been asked for more than a passport for her baby. Her being asked to make a FB post as proof is bizarre. Seriously, in what world does a FB post prove anything security-wise.

I read that Southwest airlines did already apologize to Lindsey which is good. I also saw this on NBC local news (Los Angeles area) so I do think this is getting attention.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/30/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure this was not airline policy, just one dufus FB-addicted employee. As Lindsay said in that article, "I suspect it was just one insensitive employee,” she said. “It hurt my feelings. It made me feel a little bit less than and it’s not okay.” Idiots are everywhere. Trying to pin this on Southwest or the airport is uncalled for.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/30/18 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never been asked for two pieces of ID to fly. In fact I've never taken more than one piece of ID when flying domestically. Why would anybody unless they thought the piece provided was phony? It's just straight up outrageous. And what is she supposed to post on facebook....a selfie of her the baby and the agent with the caption: "this idiot doesn't believe this is my baby. Friends please clue her in" Shocked

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/30/18 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I took the Facebook post to be an old one in which she had a reference to him being her son.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
BallState1984

PostPosted: 05/31/18 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not seeing the problem here. With the focus on preventing human trafficking and the potential of being a kidnap victim, the agent was in the right to ask questions. After reading the article, it appears the sunshine of common sense just melted a snowflake.

PostPosted: 05/31/18 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
I am not seeing the problem here. With the focus on preventing human trafficking and the potential of being a kidnap victim, the agent was in the right to ask questions. After reading the article, it appears the sunshine of common sense just melted a snowflake.

Unless I'm badly mistaken, a minor's passport includes the name of his/her parents. The whole thing could have been avoided had the employee looked carefully at both IDs.

And just WTF are you doing calling Lindsay Gottlieb a snowflake? Mad

PostPosted: 05/31/18 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Unless I'm badly mistaken, a minor's passport includes the name of his/her parents. The whole thing could have been avoided had the employee looked carefully at both IDs.

I don't see parent names on any of the child passport pictures I've looked at online

PostPosted: 05/31/18 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I say this as a Cal fan, and a fan of Lindsay Gottlieb.

This is a strange story if only because she was traveling with her fiancé. I am assuming the baby's last name is Martin, so if they were together there shouldn't have been an issue. As for her being asked a question, I can just imagine the story if someone had stolen a child (along with his passport) and was allowed to board a plane. Not knowing what was actually said or done by the desk agent, I really don't see a big problem. She wasn't detained, so while she may have felt uncomfortable it doesn't seem like there was any real offense.

It seems to me that Southwest Airlines management handled the situation well. Apologize (the customer is right) and use it for teaching purposes. Indeed I'm sure that if it weren't for Twitter this wouldn't have even been a story.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 06/01/18 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should add if she was groped by TSA or otherwise harassed by the high school drop out that make up their agents, that would be more believable. I can think of very few things that are more useless than TSA.

PostPosted: 06/01/18 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
I can think of very few things that are more useless than TSA.

Facebook as a means of identification has to be pretty close

PostPosted: 06/01/18 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have to agree with you about TSA. The Man refers to them as "kabuki theater".

PostPosted: 06/01/18 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:

I for one would be willing to trade being offended if the reason was the safety of a child. Hey I have experienced those same type of issues for far less. The thing is that a lot of us have to put up with things like this because of the times we live in. Many of those things border on the edge of total BS, but good lord this was about the safety of a child. Gottleib should get over herself and recognize the intent. I would laud that agent for her diligence. It's not like it was a person on the street coming to that conclusion, but someone who has obviously been alerted to watch out for and check suspicious situations.

People should remember this was an airport, where every thing is done with magnified security. Little old ladies are pulled out of line for extra security searches. Now that stuff is pure going through the motions BS. Still everyone lives with it. But Gottlieb feels offended when someone asks for verification of her relationship to her child. I guess this is the new thing. Lets see how many times we get to feel offended in order to get put on the victim list.

The thing is that Gottlieb is probably guilty of the very thing she believes her self to be a victim off. She is assuming she was targeted because of he son being mixed race. In doing this see implies it was a an act of racial bigotry. She is accusing the agent of a form or racial profiling. Perhaps the agent should feel offended as well. Maybe Gottlieb should apologize to her.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/01/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1 officious person seem to decide to take it up a notch. I guess it depends on the wording that person used.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 06/01/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"A stupid person tried to use Facebook to ascertain my child's identity and I was offended by that even though nothing really egregious happened, and I'm famous so I can make an issue out of this because racism and airline behavior are hot-button issues right now."

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 06/01/18 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do they expect for a bag of peanuts.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/01/18 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last time I flew, which was 2 weeks ago, i had TSA pre-check, which is supposed to spare you the indignities. Nevertheless, at Dulles I got the full treatment, including a pat down, and had to take my shoes off and take everything out of my bag. When I got back on at the other end (Knoxville) a week later, they knew what “TSA Pre-check” means and I sailed through with none of the nonsense. Can someone please explain this? Or perhaps they should just explain it to the TSA goon squad.

PostPosted: 06/02/18 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's quite amazing the tiny annoyances over which people hyperventilate these days.

"It hurt my feelings" (her words) so I'm going to make a huge deal out of it.

Life might be a lot easier and more pleasant if you just ignored that some people are jerks (or might be nice people who are just having a bad day) and simply move on and forget about it.

But hey, maybe it will help recruiting to play the "social crusader" role and get some free publicity.

I suspect parents who have had to deal with actual or potential kidnappings might have a different take on this.

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/02/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Last time I flew, which was 2 weeks ago, i had TSA pre-check, which is supposed to spare you the indignities. Nevertheless, at Dulles I got the full treatment, including a pat down, and had to take my shoes off and take everything out of my bag. When I got back on at the other end (Knoxville) a week later, they knew what “TSA Pre-check” means and I sailed through with none of the nonsense. Can someone please explain this? Or perhaps they should just explain it to the TSA goon squad.

Different airports seem to use different standards. If it is an International airport they probable are conditioned to be stricter. The fact that Dullus serve's DC might also play a big part. I have long suspected that the criteria they set for TSA agent hirings are methodical individuals who do not think outside of the box and just follow rules to the letter whether it makes sense or not.

I had a TSA agent make me leave through an exit door I did not come through and go though security even though I had a ticket that proved I had just exited a plane and was looking for my next connection. He did this just because approached close enough to read what the lettering on the door said. It was an exit. Now it doesn't open from the outside but that didn't matter. I almost missed my connection because I had to go through inspection again. Anyone with a modicum of common sense could have figured out that i didn't or couldn't have entered through that exit.

This will not change and we all just have to put up with it. I have an 80 year old sister, who traveled a lot and was constantly getting pulled out of line for that extra check, just because she somehow got on some sort of list by mistake. Once she figured it out she got it corrected, but not before she was subjected to their stupidity for a decade of traveling. Dealing with them, you have to assume that none of them have any common sense. I strongly suspect that possessing and utilizing common sense would disqualify you from getting hired.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/02/18 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It's quite amazing the tiny annoyances over which people hyperventilate these days.

"It hurt my feelings" (her words) so I'm going to make a huge deal out of it.

Life might be a lot easier and more pleasant if you just ignored that some people are jerks (or might be nice people who are just having a bad day) and simply move on and forget about it.

But hey, maybe it will help recruiting to play the "social crusader" role and get some free publicity.

I suspect parents who have had to deal with actual or potential kidnappings might have a different take on this.

You are right. People are much too easily offended and want to ascribe evil intentions when none may exist. But I would say the same of Gottlieb. She was annoyed and decided to tweet. I doubt any of this would have come out publicly otherwise. I wouldn't ascribe any motives to Gottlieb for her tweet anymore that the desk agent. As for the subsequent uproar, that is what the press does, and this thread shows that there is interest.

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Calbearman--Very good point! It seems that the media wants to hold everyone accountable for any in the moment emotional utterance.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/03/18 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

However, do re-read my post about my daughter's family, whose skin colors and last names are all over the map. This has to do with parentage and remarriage, and they are a varying mixture of Caucasian, African-American, and Puerto Rican, with a smidgen of Native American thrown in somewhere for good measure. What is that same agent going to say if s/he encounters them in a group? Mass kidnapping? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 06/03/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
However, do re-read my post about my daughter's family, whose skin colors and last names are all over the map. This has to do with parentage and remarriage, and they are a varying mixture of Caucasian, African-American, and Puerto Rican, with a smidgen of Native American thrown in somewhere for good measure. What is that same agent going to say if s/he encounters them in a group? Mass kidnapping? Rolling Eyes

Well, if it was, and they hadn't checked, then people would have a reason to be outraged.

It's unfortunate we need to check for a lot of things today that forty years ago no one would have thought twice about, but that's the way the world has changed. And the the unfortunate reality is that if you fall outside of the "typical" or "expected" universe, then you're probably going to get extra scrutiny. Is it inconvenient? Probably. Is it annoying or even offensive to those confronted with extra scrutiny? Probably. Are many people far too quick to take offense? Certainly. Is it appropriate or even necessary to check? Very possibly. Can it be abused? Certainly, but the correct response to that is not necessarily to eliminate it entirely.

Based on the little known of the incident, I'm not convinced the inquiry was out of line. (I suspect the agent was offeing the FaceBook picture as one means of satisfying the ID, as in "do you have a facebook post of you and the child together"?) But what we don't know is what the two parties actually said to each other and whether either side unnecessarily turned a valid question into a confrontation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: