Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tally24

PostPosted: 05/30/18 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Angel Robinson has been signed by Phoenix.

The addition of Robinson brings the Mercury’s current roster to 11 players, following the waiving of Imani Wright.

http://mercury.wnba.com/news/mercury-re-signs-center-angel-robinson/

Was this really what we needed tho? Meh.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/30/18 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Angel Robinson has been signed by Phoenix.

The addition of Robinson brings the Mercury’s current roster to 11 players, following the waiving of Imani Wright.

http://mercury.wnba.com/news/mercury-re-signs-center-angel-robinson/

Was this really what we needed tho? Meh.

Per Mechelle Voepel:
Phoenix is 2-2, with the losses to the Storm and the Sparks. The Mercury have to be concerned they're averaging 78.5 points (that needs to go up) and are being outrebounded by almost nine per game.

But is Angel Robinson going to see the floor enough to help with the rebounding deficiency? Sources say no.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/30/18 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Points per game remains a terrible way to judge scoring, and it's a shame that Voepel's still trotting it out. It's way too early for stats to mean anything anyway, but Phoenix are playing at the second-slowest pace in the league, which obviously lowers total scoring. Having the fifth-best offense in the league is rather less of an issue than having the third-worst defense.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 4:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There’s been a Musina sighting at an Arizona Diamondbacks game.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 06/03/18 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

So they drafted her, signed her. then waive her and say she's not coming over and now she's in town?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/03/18 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

So they drafted her, signed her. then waive her and say she's not coming over and now she's in town?

As I said at the time, they never said that she wasn't coming over all year - just that she wouldn't be there for the start of the season. Maybe the plan was always to re-sign her once she was legally allowed to be in the country and play - although having been waived she's under no obligation to sign with them over any of the other 11 teams.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So after some shuffling in the beginning of the season, the Mercury with 12 players will be.

PG: January/Mitchell
SG: Taurasi/Turner
SF: Bonner/Talbot/Musina
PF: Lyttle/Little
C: Griner/Gulich/Robinson

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/04/18 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Points per game remains a terrible way to judge scoring, and it's a shame that Voepel's still trotting it out. It's way too early for stats to mean anything anyway, but Phoenix are playing at the second-slowest pace in the league, which obviously lowers total scoring. Having the fifth-best offense in the league is rather less of an issue than having the third-worst defense.

The Mercury have had defensive issues for most seasons dating back to 2006, when Westhead was hired (with the exception of 2014). Phoenix has been able to push past the defensive issues by having a more prolific offense (the old argument that "you scored 15, but I scored 20").

chapulana

PostPosted: 06/04/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is a player in the W able to stuff the stat sheet (not to misunderstand with stat padder, who would be someone who shoots to her own basket to catch the rebound lol) more effortlessly than BG. Honestly, she's able to put on at least 15/5 performances every night without even trying.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/04/18 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Marie Gulich, welcome to never seeing the floor outside of garbage time.

(or maybe occasionally when Griner gets herself tossed)

In the last game she got quite a bit of time...at the 4. Camille has brought so little (no pun intended) to the team this year that when Sancho gets into foul trouble they need someone. You could see Marie trying to adjust and give Griner room while still trying to rebound... and doing a pretty good job at it for a first time at it.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/04/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I was a little surprised that they continued to use her after Robinson was re-signed, and it was definitely a surprise to see her on the floor alongside Griner. Although for the sake of her future in Phoenix, it's vitally important that she's viable in that role. Otherwise she's only ever going to play about 8mpg, unless Griner gets hurt.

PostPosted: 06/04/18 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chapulana wrote:
I was wondering if there is a player in the W able to stuff the stat sheet (not to misunderstand with stat padder, who would be someone who shoots to her own basket to catch the rebound lol) more effortlessly than BG. Honestly, she's able to put on at least 15/5 performances every night without even trying.

On the other hand, BG is 50th in the league in rebounds per 40 minutes. 50th!
She's behind players a whole foot shorter than her in that category, like Sugar Rodgers, Courtney Williams & Lexie Brown.
Fans are all too familiar with what BG can do effortlessly, and would now like to see what she can do when she tries.

PostPosted: 06/05/18 3:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
chapulana wrote:

On the other hand, BG is 50th in the league in rebounds per 40 minutes. 50th!

This is what is actually worrying, or at least frustrating. She can put up numbers without trying and just because of her physicality most of the time, so if she actually had a slightly higher IQ, technique and positioning for rebounds for example, she would legit never drop under 20 a night.

I was watching her closely against the Lynx and Fowles the other day, and she was outright beaten by Sylvia (in terms of post moves) each and every play. If she could step up her game a little in that regard....

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/05/18 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

today I noticed in rebounding that several times NY players simply stepped in front of her - no boxing out, she was just trying to reach over the top.

- Amanda Gorman
chapulana

PostPosted: 06/05/18 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
today I noticed in rebounding that several times NY players simply stepped in front of her - no boxing out, she was just trying to reach over the top.

That is what I mean. She uses her body too much (not that it is bad) but adding a little more IQ she'd legit be –more– unstoppable.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/05/18 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Erlana Larkins would be a much better help than Robinson (or even Camille Little) at this point.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/12/18 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adam Rippon is going to be at the next game.

If there isn’t an interview with Adam and DT together, someone should lose their job.

PostPosted: 06/13/18 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chapulana wrote:
myrtle wrote:

That is what I mean. She uses her body too much (not that it is bad) but adding a little more IQ she'd legit be –more– unstoppable.

I don't think the problem is IQ, I think it is habit and work ethic. And it happens to many big girls. They aren't coached to think about boxing out, footwork, etc. because most of their young years their height and their competition's lack of height allows them to form bad habits. And their coaches don't know any better.

If BG wants to be a better rebounder, she is going to have to work for it. And it she ever decides to do it, she may become the most dominate player this league has ever seen to date. Right now, she is good but there is the big question mark as to whether she will even be among the elite. IMO, it is just a matter of whether she wants it or not.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/13/18 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I had a choice between intimidating paint defense and better rebounding, I’d go for the intimidating paint defense. That’s how she wins her defensive accolades.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/18/18 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diana Taurasi Plays Basketball in a Coat of Invincibility Armor
Quote:
She’s the rare player who can reach lava level, but even the tiniest things the Phoenix Mercury guard does on the court feel big and interesting

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2018/6/18/17474046/diana-taurasi-phoenix-mercury-wnba

(Yes, he's about 15 years late in boarding the Taurasi Train, but it's still a nice article)

PostPosted: 06/18/18 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If I had a choice between intimidating paint defense and better rebounding, I’d go for the intimidating paint defense. That’s how she wins her defensive accolades.

why should you have to choose? There's no excuse for not doing both at her size?

- Amanda Gorman
mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/18/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

why should you have to choose? There's no excuse for not doing both at her size?

Most shot blockers aren’t great rebounders Because their priority is blocking shots.

PostPosted: 06/18/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill Russell was a pretty good shot blocker and rebounder (career 22.5) and won MVP.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/18/18 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Bill Russell was a pretty good shot blocker and rebounder (career 22.5) and won MVP.

Did he have the same roaming defensive style as Griner?

Randy

PostPosted: 06/18/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't remember it that well. It may be that the defensive 3 second rule was not in effect then, as that seems like a more recent development. So of course, the world changed some. Plus - they didn't keep track of blocks during Russell's playing days, or at least I can't find them.

His big thing was that it didn't do any good to block a shot if your team didn't get the ball back. So he tried to send the ball to a teammate. This differs from modern players who try to show off by sending the ball out of bounds and the opposing team keeps the ball.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: