RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Roseanne cancelled
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/29/18 1:10 pm    ::: Roseanne cancelled Reply Reply with quote

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/roseanne-barr-obama-adviser-baby-muslim-brotherhood-planet/story?id=55504982

Quote:
"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show," said Channing Dungey, the president of ABC Entertainment

They should have continued the show without Barr. Call it "Roseanne's Family" like NBC did with "Valerie" after Valerie Harper let the show.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's an idiot for doing this. The revival was good, but she just couldn't keep her Trump pom-poms away and keep her mouth shut.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Howee

PostPosted: 05/29/18 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
She's an idiot for doing this. The revival was good, but she just couldn't keep her Trump pom-poms away and keep her mouth shut.

I personally did NOT enjoy the revival--not as much as the original, anyway--but she certainly did a lot to cast a light on The Deplorables. It's all good....she's probably gonna run for office in the fall anyways, and couldn't keep up both, right? Razz

PostPosted: 05/29/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Twitter/Facebook comments have cost a number of people their job.

In looking for what news item would have caused her to tweet about Valerie Jarrett, the most recent thing I see if a May 23rd mention of Jarrett and Bernie Sanders endorsing a Georgia candidate. But an article says that another social media poster, presumably nobody famous, accused Jarrett of helping Obama "hide a lot", and Barr was reacting to that. The other poster's comment was triggered by an online claim that Obama had spied on French presidential candidates.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 05/29/18 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I loved the old show, and loved the new show. Shame on this idiot bitch for ruining a great show, costing the network millions of dollars and TV ratings, and shame on her for putting a lot of people out of work including her cast mates and crew. She is however, a Trump supporter, and in the end, they’re all the same. Disgusting. I’ll miss the show, but bravo to ABC for cancelling her show. Roseanne just completely destroyed any career she had left. I cannot wait to hear Sara Gilberts comments about this on tomorrow episode of the Talk.

And no, they can’t keep the show going without Roseanne, calling it Roseanne’s Family like they did with Valarie Harper. That’s stupid. But IF they did, I have the perfect title. “Nosanne”

stever

PostPosted: 05/29/18 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://slate.com/culture/2018/05/canceling-roseanne-wasnt-the-only-possible-decision-but-it-was-the-right-one.html?via=homepage_taps_top

Quote:
The decision was made possible by something else—really someone else—who is not status quo: ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey, the first black woman to be the head of a major broadcast network. We can never know for sure what would have happened if a white person were in charge of ABC at this moment, but it strikes me that they would have been much more likely to administer the aforementioned wrist slap, continuing to put up with the polarizing circus act that is Barr. Dungey, instead, saw Roseanne’s tweet comparing a black woman to an ape for what it was: too much, too far, enough.

Genero36

PostPosted: 05/29/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The original run was a classic and is everything opposite of what this woman has become. She fucked up everybody's check though, so I know her costars are heated. It's the first check most of them (besides Goodman, Metcalf and Gilbert) have had in a while.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cancel Trump.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I figured there would be some sort of penalty, I really didn't think they would cancel the show.

I mean, how often do you see the #1 rated scripted show on TV canceled?

However much ABC may be applauded by one half of the population, you know they are going to be pilloried by the other half. Also, ABC should've known something like this was going to happen. When it comes to being smart and knowing when to keep one's mouth shut, Roseanne is NOT going to be at the head of the class.

200 people out of work now is what I read.

As for the revival itself, it was OKAY. But just OKAY. It wasn't great and at times wasn't even funny. And I can't be the only one that thought both John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf were phoning it in.

I really feel bad for Sara Gilbert who was executive producing the show and was one of the driving forces of getting it back on the air. I would so love to hear the conversation between her and Roseanne NOW!
toad455

PostPosted: 05/29/18 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think ABC jumped the gun too quickly. Maybe they should have continued the show without Barr.

Genero36

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Celebrities React
"This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we've created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love— one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member." --Sara Gilbert

"As I called my manager to quit working on Roseanne, I found out the show got cancelled. I feel so empowered by @iamwandasykes , Channing Dungey and those at ABC standing up against abuse of power and lack of values. Bullies do not win. Ever. I am hurt, embarrassed, and disappointed. The racist and distasteful comments from Roseanne are inexcusable." --Emma Kenney

"Today is one of the hardest in my life. I feel devastated, not for the end of the Roseanne show, but for all those who poured their hearts and souls into our jobs, and the audience that welcomed us into their homes." --Michael Fishman

"Ton of respect for Bob Iger. Tough decision with financial consequences for his company but right for America....umm..now don't bug Bob but maybe someone else find out if I'm still banned from all of @ABCNetwork for calling Roseanne Barr out first on her racist conspiracy tweets?" --Tom Arnold

"But honestly she got what she deserved. As I tell my 4 year old, one makes a choice with one's actions. Roseanne made a choice. A racist one. ABC made a choice. A human one." --Shonda Rhimes

"Thank you Channing Dungey! --Viola Davis

"I'm glad Roseanne is canceled. The backlash to its cancellation is going to be a deafening nightmare. Nothing good has come of this entire thing." --Kumail Nanjiani

"For the record, this is Channing Dungey. Sitting on top of your world like a Queen in full judgement of your garbage and taking it out. #Roseanne" --Ava DuVernay

"Thank you, @ABCNetwork for doing the right thing and for showing people that bigotry and racism has consequences. Now, if you could only cancel our President for the same reason. #RoseanneBarred" --Alyssa Milano

"@therealroseanne, you break my heart -- You are a sorry excuse for a human being. How odd that you, as a comedienne, have forgotten then meaning of a "joke" and a personal comment. Your meanness is staggering and will earn you a ticket to a sad, lonely and sorry life." --Rita Moreno

"I just heard #rosanne is cancelled. My reaction— tears. I am so relieved and grateful. The hate that has been spewing from those in Trump's orbit has really taken a toll on all of our souls and psyches. I didn't believe it would happen. I had lost faith. Thank you @abc ." --Debra Messing

"Aaaaannnd cue the people who just celebrated the NFL targeting player protests defending Roseanne Barr now on 1st amendment grounds. 3,2,1....popcorn." --Jeffrey Wright

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

However much ABC may be applauded by one half of the population, you know they are going to be pilloried by the other half.

While what you say is true, let's think about it for a minute. That means one half of the country is anti-racist tweets and one half is pro racist tweets.

So, fuck all of us.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

***ETA, This post was not directed at Youth Coach in any way.

Last edited by PUmatty on 05/29/18 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
lvf08

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh well

Smoovie

PostPosted: 05/30/18 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Celebrities React
"This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we've created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love— one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member." --Sara Gilbert

"As I called my manager to quit working on Roseanne, I found out the show got cancelled. I feel so empowered by @iamwandasykes , Channing Dungey and those at ABC standing up against abuse of power and lack of values. Bullies do not win. Ever. I am hurt, embarrassed, and disappointed. The racist and distasteful comments from Roseanne are inexcusable." --Emma Kenney

"Today is one of the hardest in my life. I feel devastated, not for the end of the Roseanne show, but for all those who poured their hearts and souls into our jobs, and the audience that welcomed us into their homes." --Michael Fishman

"Ton of respect for Bob Iger. Tough decision with financial consequences for his company but right for America....umm..now don't bug Bob but maybe someone else find out if I'm still banned from all of @ABCNetwork for calling Roseanne Barr out first on her racist conspiracy tweets?" --Tom Arnold

"But honestly she got what she deserved. As I tell my 4 year old, one makes a choice with one's actions. Roseanne made a choice. A racist one. ABC made a choice. A human one." --Shonda Rhimes

"I'm glad Roseanne is canceled. The backlash to its cancellation is going to be a deafening nightmare. Nothing good has come of this entire thing." --Kumail Nanjiani

"For the record, this is Channing Dungey. Sitting on top of your world like a Queen in full judgement of your garbage and taking it out. #Roseanne" --Ava DuVernay

"Thank you, @ABCNetwork for doing the right thing and for showing people that bigotry and racism has consequences. Now, if you could only cancel our President for the same reason. #RoseanneBarred" --Alyssa Milano

"@therealroseanne, you break my heart -- You are a sorry excuse for a human being. How odd that you, as a comedienne, have forgotten then meaning of a "joke" and a personal comment. Your meanness is staggering and will earn you a ticket to a sad, lonely and sorry life." --Rita Moreno

"I just heard #rosanne is cancelled. My reaction— tears. I am so relieved and grateful. The hate that has been spewing from those in Trump's orbit has really taken a toll on all of our souls and psyches. I didn't believe it would happen. I had lost faith. Thank you @abc ." --Debra Messing

"Aaaaannnd cue the people who just celebrated the NFL targeting player protests defending Roseanne Barr now on 1st amendment grounds. 3,2,1....popcorn." --Jeffrey Wright

quote from an ABC employee: "Every time she'd (Roseanne) tweet something about conspiracies or something racist we'd all look at each other and say, what are we even doing here? Why are we even showing up to work?"

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
sambista

PostPosted: 05/30/18 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smoovie wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
Celebrities React

quote from an ABC employee: "Every time she'd (Roseanne) tweet something about conspiracies or something racist we'd all look at each other and say, what are we even doing here? Why are we even showing up to work?"

if you ask me, it took a bit too long for wanda sykes to ask that question, then come up with an answer.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

However much ABC may be applauded by one half of the population, you know they are going to be pilloried by the other half.

While what you say is true, let's think about it for a minute. That means one half of the country is anti-racist tweets and one half is pro racist tweets.

So, fuck all of us.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

***ETA, This post was not directed at Youth Coach in any way.

Well, I was definitely thinking the "Half" thing was a bit off....I cannot believe Half of the American population thinks like her.

Re: her show's timely(?) political relevance....one commentator on PBS had already declared her Big Appeal to the Trumpians to be TVs biggest "Head Fake" yet....episode one declared her affinity for Trump, but what followed that was pretty noncommittal or neutral.

I was always impressed with how Roseanne had spent a few years busting balls around her original show, refusing to let "men" dictate its ups 'n downs. A firebrand feminist of sorts. Did that teach her nothing?? Confused Sometimes you just can't fix stupid. #deplorables

PostPosted: 05/30/18 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
I loved the old show, and loved the new show. Shame on this idiot bitch for ruining a great show, costing the network millions of dollars and TV ratings, and shame on her for putting a lot of people out of work including her cast mates and crew. She is however, a Trump supporter, and in the end, they’re all the same. Disgusting. I’ll miss the show, but bravo to ABC for cancelling her show. Roseanne just completely destroyed any career she had left. I cannot wait to hear Sara Gilberts comments about this on tomorrow episode of the Talk.

And no, they can’t keep the show going without Roseanne, calling it Roseanne’s Family like they did with Valarie Harper. That’s stupid. But IF they did, I have the perfect title. “Nosanne”

Sara wasn't on today, but Whoopi had a thing or two to say. Wink

PostPosted: 05/30/18 11:49 am    ::: Re: Roseanne cancelled Reply Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hbm0XspKIU

PostPosted: 05/30/18 12:12 pm    ::: Re: Roseanne cancelled Reply Reply with quote

Trump breaks silence on Roseanne Barr scandal
Quote:
President Trump's first public reaction to the cancellation of "Roseanne" is a shot at Disney CEO Bob Iger.

What he didn't say is just as notable. He didn't say anything critical of Roseanne Barr's racist and conspiratorial tweets -- the comments that got her fired on Tuesday.

Instead, he tweeted this on Wednesday: "Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that 'ABC does not tolerate comments like those' made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn't get the call?"

Trump and Barr have been supporters of each other for years. Trump called her up when "Roseanne" drew record ratings for its premiere in March. So that's why there was speculation that he might weigh in on the show's demise.

Rather than distancing himself from Barr's racist remarks, Trump jumped right into the argument about whether she was subjected to a double standard.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/30/media/president-trump-roseanne-barr-bob-iger/index.html

PostPosted: 05/30/18 12:53 pm    ::: Re: Roseanne cancelled Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Trump breaks silence on Roseanne Barr scandal

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Quote:
Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1001848460881035265

toad455

PostPosted: 05/30/18 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really sad how she's bashing her castmates. And then throwing Whoopi under the bus like that. Such class.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 05/30/18 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So because she's a racist twat, she cost her castmates their jobs as well as all the crew and writers jobs as well.

Because the reruns got pulled off the air as well, she cost her castemates money, as they will no longer get royalty checks for when the show airs in syndication. Here's hoping she gets blackballed and never seen again on TV. Talk about deplorable.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/30/18 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her career is done. Doubt she's ever seen on TV again.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 05/30/18 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This almost reminds me of the uproar amongst conservatives shortly after the Tim Allen sitcom Last Man Standing, was cancelled, also by ABC, last year.

Before that show was cancelled, Allen (one of the few Republicans in show-biz) said in an interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, that being a Republican in Hollywood is "like 1930's Germany. You gotta be real careful around here, you know. You'll get beat up if you don't believe what everybody believes."

But at least the show was revived and will be making a comeback this fall on another network, FOX.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: