RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Natasha Howard
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/27/18 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

On the other side Natasha Howard is showing herself to be worth next year's number 1 pick.

I think you meant first round pick. The thing is it’s not even for the pick straight out. It’s for the right to swap first round picks. If SEA turns out to have a better W-L record than the Lynx, that swap is worth nothing. The only thing left of the trade would be the Aces’ 2nd round pick.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/27/18 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

On the other side Natasha Howard is showing herself to be worth next year's number 1 pick.

I think you meant first round pick. The thing is it’s not even for the pick straight out. It’s for the right to swap first round picks. If SEA turns out to have a better W-L record than the Lynx, that swap is worth nothing. The only thing left of the trade would be the Aces’ 2nd round pick.

Yes. I meant Seattle's first pick. If she continues to play well the value of that pick will be diminished, but since it seems the Lynx had given up on her it probably made sense for them.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 05/27/18 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Shades wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Yes. I meant Seattle's first pick. If she continues to play well the value of that pick will be diminished, but since it seems the Lynx had given up on her it probably made sense for them.

Then the problem then is why did Reeve give up on a player, who when given a chance had shown to be good? Unless Kizer starts producing big-time for the Lynx, this doesn't make her look good at all, and she should be called out for hurting the Lynx's chances of winning any more titles.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/28/18 4:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I doubt that this is going to happen. Although there is a good change that we finally end up with a winning record this season.
But so far we had 2 'easier' games against the Sky without Sloot and the Aces who will be near the bottom of the league. Lets see how we play against the Mystics with EDD and a good bench. And dont forget about Storm assassin Toliver

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
canadaball

PostPosted: 05/28/18 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Shades wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Then the problem then is why did Reeve give up on a player, who when given a chance had shown to be good? Unless Kizer starts producing big-time for the Lynx, this doesn't make her look good at all, and she should be called out for hurting the Lynx's chances of winning any more titles.

I do not think Reeve "gave up"on Howard. My educated guess is that Seattle offered the restricted free agent a multiyear max contract ($113,500). With all the other big salaries, Reeve could not fit that kind of $ under a salary cap of about $950-960k. Howard had to be let go,

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 05/28/18 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

I do not think Reeve "gave up"on Howard. My educated guess is that Seattle offered the restricted free agent a multiyear max contract ($113,500). With all the other big salaries, Reeve could not fit that kind of $ under a salary cap of about $950-960k. Howard had to be let go,

Why? I find it hard to believe with Perkins & Pierson retiring, and Montgomery leaving, the Lynx had no money to re-sign her.
Sign Howard instead of Kizer. Then if can get both Wright & D-Rob, fine, even if only have to carry 11 all year, otherwise there is no need for both of Wright & D-Rob when I thought Alexis Jones is perfectly capable of playing 10-15mpg (weird how other teams have no problems playing young players).
I'm going to rag on this nonstop unless Howard falls back to earth, Kizer starts putting up big numbers, and/or the Lynx win the title.

canadaball

PostPosted: 05/28/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
canadaball wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

Why? I find it hard to believe with Perkins & Pierson retiring, and Montgomery leaving, the Lynx had no money to re-sign her.
Sign Howard instead of Kizer. Then if can get both Wright & D-Rob, fine, even if only have to carry 11 all year, otherwise there is no need for both of Wright & D-Rob when I thought Alexis Jones is perfectly capable of playing 10-15mpg (weird how other teams have no problems playing young players).
I'm going to rag on this nonstop unless Howard falls back to earth, Kizer starts putting up big numbers, and/or the Lynx win the title.

Here is the basic approximate math: the five Lynx starters all are on max contracts of $115k= $575k. Jones makes about $44k (second year rookie); the other two second year players (Fagbenie and Zandalasini ) total about $82k. DRob was making max $ while an All Star with SA. She missed a year with injury and then was traded twice (Phx and now Minny). As far as I know, there has never been a new contract, so pencil her in for another $115k. This brings total to around $816k. Veterans Wright and Kizer make up the rest. No way to squeeze another $115k salary with these #'s.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 05/28/18 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Here is the basic approximate math: the five Lynx starters all are on max contracts of $115k= $575k. Jones makes about $44k (second year rookie); the other two second year players (Fagbenie and Zandalasini ) total about $82k. DRob was making max $ while an All Star with SA. She missed a year with injury and then was traded twice (Phx and now Minny). As far as I know, there has never been a new contract, so pencil her in for another $115k. This brings total to around $816k. Veterans Wright and Kizer make up the rest. No way to squeeze another $115k salary with these #'s.

That's why I said re-sign Howard instead of signing Kizer (Howard should be the main backup post, and Fagbenle the emergency backup center), and if then it comes down to it money wise only choose one of Wright or D-Rob.

canadaball

PostPosted: 05/28/18 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
canadaball wrote:

That's why I said re-sign Howard instead of signing Kizer (Howard should be the main backup post, and Fagbenle the emergency backup center), and if then it comes down to it money wise only choose one of Wright or D-Rob.

It is a matter of simple math. The nine players mentioned (not counting Wright and Kizer) have a salary total of about $816k. With a cap of $950-960k, adding a Howard max of $115k leaves no room for an eleventh player. I am not sure whether teams are required to carry 11 players, but it would be insane to start season with a 10 player, expensive roster. One injury would mean disaster, and remember this hypothetical 10 player roster would include 2 totally unproven players.
Here is another way to look at it. No team can carry 7 max contracts and fit under the cap; BTW that is what makes Sims signing for a below value salary so helpful to LA.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 05/28/18 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
canadaball wrote:

It is a matter of simple math. The nine players mentioned (not counting Wright and Kizer) have a salary total of about $816k. With a cap of $950-960k, adding a Howard max of $115k leaves no room for an eleventh player. I am not sure whether teams are required to carry 11 players, but it would be insane to start season with a 10 player, expensive roster. One injury would mean disaster, and remember this hypothetical 10 player roster would include 2 totally unproven players.
Here is another way to look at it. No team can carry 7 max contracts and fit under the cap; BTW that is what makes Sims signing for a below value salary so helpful to LA.

That salaries database on Howard Megdal's High Post Hoops site from last year showed D-Rob making $110,000 this year, Augustus & Whalen $110,900, Fowles $111,180 and Maya $113,000 and the cap being $976,300 (Brunson was a FA, so nothing shows for her or anybody else from the offseason), so I still am going to think there would be a way, unless those numbers were wrong.

canadaball

PostPosted: 05/29/18 2:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
canadaball wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
canadaball wrote:

That salaries database on Howard Megdal's High Post Hoops site from last year showed D-Rob making $110,000 this year, Augustus & Whalen $110,900, Fowles $111,180 and Maya $113,000 and the cap being $976,300 (Brunson was a FA, so nothing shows for her or anybody else from the offseason), so I still am going to think there would be a way, unless those numbers were wrong.

Thanks for the added knowledge. Under the CBA., each year the max salary goes up $2000, so your info confirms my estimates (without getting too complicated, there can be a $2000 difference in max money depending upon years of service with team)). The cap was $901k in 2014, and goes up either $12000 per year or a # based upon a complicated formula related to the number of teams with less than 12 player rosters. The website indicates that this year's cap is $976,300. There is not enough room to pay another max ($113,500) to Howard and also pay a veteran player like Wright or Kizer, In looking at the salaries, note also that no team has 7 players making close to max type money, further confirming my estimate, and highlighting the importance of Sims, in LA, taking much less $ than she deserves.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 05/29/18 3:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DD
canadaball wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
canadaball wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Thanks for the added knowledge. Under the CBA., each year the max salary goes up $2000, so your info confirms my estimates (without getting too complicated, there can be a $2000 difference in max money depending upon years of service with team)). The cap was $901k in 2014, and goes up either $12000 per year or a # based upon a complicated formula related to the number of teams with less than 12 player rosters. The website indicates that this year's cap is $976,300. There is not enough room to pay another max ($113,500) to Howard and also pay a veteran player like Wright or Kizer, In looking at the salaries, note also that no team has 7 players making close to max type money, further confirming my estimate, and highlighting the importance of Sims, in LA, taking much less $ than she deserves.

Then I'm going to stick to my opinion that the Lynx should've payed Howard and then only one other vet, and be fine with any rookie or low-salary players after that, unless the Lynx win another title, then I'll apologize for being a jerk or being wrong. My favorite hobby is admitting that I was wrong. Smile I am under the rare belief that if a team that relies on its top 8 players has to count so badly on whoever the 11th player, or having a 12th player (because of injury to a key player, etc), then they are probably not winning the title anyways. Realistically, IMO, the only purpose of trading for D-Rob should be if Whalen is retiring after this year, which means the Lynx would be fine if they had to be extremely capped this year assuming my scenario works. I don't see any amazing purpose of having both D-Rob and Wright while Whalen is playing if that would be impossible under my scenario wanting Howard because I'd like to believe that Alexis Jones would be capable of getting 10-15mpg (I find it odd how other teams have no problem playing younger players, or having younger players produce, but someone the Lynx can't?)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/29/18 5:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cap-wise, keeping Howard was a perfectly viable way to go, it just would've meant making other choices elsewhere. If there'd been no way for Minnesota to keep her, Seattle wouldn't have traded anything for her (although some of us felt they should've taken the risk of just signing her to an offer sheet anyway).

Don't know why this has all ended up in calbearman76's odds thread, though...

PostPosted: 05/29/18 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Imagine my surprise that all of a sudden this thread got so much activity when there wasn't even a game yesterday. My initial point (that Reeve gave up on Howard) is still valid, even if the reason was tied to the salary cap.

May 29

New York 2.5 Dallas 158
Minnesota 6.5 Atlanta 156
Seattle 4 Washington 167.5

Dallas is one of the better teams in the league, and so far I can't say the same about New York. I'll take the Wings to extend the Liberty's losing streak to 3. I also like the under, but I will refrain from making it an official play.

Minnesota is a team I am reevaluating. Fowles is listed as questionable and if she doesn't play, or plays the way she did after she hurt her ankle. Atlanta would look like a good play, but not knowing her status I will pass on the game.

Washington beat Minnesota to move to 4-0. I don't believe they are that good. This is the first of back-to back games (they play Phoenix tomorrow) and I suspect this will be two losses. EDD is questionable, and will probably play limited minutes if she plays at all. I will take the Storm and lay the 4 points.

Sitting here today it is easy to criticize Reeve for "giving up" on Howard. In the first few games, she is playing All Star level basketball. Most impressive were her defense on Greiner in game 2 (a traditional Storm killer), and that Lebron-like game saving block vs Chicago. Making matters worse is this kind of play means that the flip flop of first round picks could mean little.Sketching out the salary situation serves to show the difficult choices faced by the Lynx this off season with the loss of Montgomery, Perkins, and Pearson. Recent history shows that aging all time great Whalen needs a caddy to share minutes. Reeve has had one year with 2nd year Jones, who seems to be a scorer, but not a viable defender/floor general; therefore, her #1 off season need was a pg. In a league where some teams spend years looking for a starting pg (NY and Wash come to mind), DRob might have been the only available, viable answer. Yes, she cannot shoot 3's, and struggles in half court offense, but the former All Star certainly has plenty of WNBA proven talents. This addition resulted in 6 max contracts. I again want to emphasize that no team has ever gone with 7, so faced with Howard's market value, Reeve chose to avoid a roster of 7 high paid players and 4 very inexperienced 1-2 year backups (and I am not even sure that is mathematically possible...it is very close in #'s). Sure, if the playoffs started next week, the thin roster might work, but we all know that (1) injuries are very common; (2) there is great value in the #1-2 seeds for playoffs (ask NY and CT what it's like to draw Phx with Taurasi and Greiner in a one game shootout); (3) Simone also needs lighter minutes and Jones, alone does not fit team needs.. Reeve was pretty much forced to let Howard go, and my guess she is unhappy that arch rival LA got Sims to take tens of thousands less, thus enabling them to avoid that 7 max roster.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/29/18 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
I again want to emphasize that no team has ever gone with 7

Minnesota were pretty damn close the last couple of years, among others. Depends on what you're counting as 'max'.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
canadaball wrote:
I again want to emphasize that no team has ever gone with 7

Minnesota were pretty damn close the last couple of years, among others. Depends on what you're counting as 'max'.

Yes, 2017 illustrates how tight the cap squeeze can be. The 9 Lynx players listed had salaries totaling $801,670. Note that all the starters took a few thousand less than the max paid Perkins. With a cap slightly over $950k, Pearson, and most particularly Montgomery must have played for less than their market value. Rene has made max in the past and now with Atlanta.
This discussion does highlight a flaw in the CBA. Each year, mandated raises of $2,000 are given max contracts; 3 year rookie contracts and minimum veteran salaries also have scheduled increases. As mentioned earlier, the team salary cap only increases $12-15k per year, thus teams, like Minny and LA, with multiple high paid players see an increased squeeze each year.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/29/18 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keep in mind Megdal’s salary base isn’t official. When it first came out it contained plenty of blantant mistakes and probably still is plenty flawed because player salaries aren’t made public. Did they even attempt a salary base for this year?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 05/29/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luckily for the Sparks, they are not subject to the minimum number of players rule

PostPosted: 05/29/18 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You may call it a flaw; others might call it the whole damn point of a salary cap.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Keep in mind Megdal’s salary base isn’t official. When it first came out it contained plenty of blantant mistakes and probably still is plenty flawed because player salaries aren’t made public. Did they even attempt a salary base for this year?

I don't think so.

But no matter what, unless Kizer ends up being as good as Howard, there is zero excuses. If Howard ends up falling back to Earth and into mediocrity, everybody here can publicly shame me into doing whatever they want.

In the case Howard ends up being an All-Star or near All-Star caliber player (as she looks so far), or much better than Kizer, then Reeve pretty much F'ed up everything:
A. Either Reeve is a terrible talent evaluator for thinking Howard can't be this good, when she showed flashes when she actually got playing time, especially in 2016, or a poor coach for not wanting to utilize talent properly when she has it. The only explination I could think of the trade, after agonizing over it for weeks, is that Reeve was greedy in hoping Seattle would still struggle this year, even though they changed coaches, and she thought she could get a high draft pick next year who might be an All-Star caliber player, because Reeve probably doesn't know you can find quality players in all parts of a draft if you're astute enough (funny how the Lynx often end up acquiring vet players who were late draft picks themselves). Now, in an ironic twist, Reeve traded away a good/great player in hopes of getting a player in the future who might not even be as good as the player she traded away, even if the Lynx could activate a pick swap of several places up.

B. There is no excuse to be cheap. If you have talent, you keep it at all costs, unless you want to be trolled to death like the Oklahoma City Thunder for being cheap/overthinking themselves when they hurriedly got rid of James Harden instead of paying him max.

C. After giving Howard a max-deal, the Lynx wouldn't need Kizer, so I assume the Lynx would still have enough money to acquire at least one of D-Rob or Wright still. And I find it hard to believe there would be zero cheap guard options off the street or draft if the Lynx could only afford one of D-Rob or Wright. Do you have any names, Shades? My mind is blank. Trading for D-Rob only seems to make sense if Whalen is retiring after this year, otherwise it seems to be a waste of futrue cap space. Heck, the Lynx could've waited until next year to sign D-Rob when she becomes an UFA (I believe) if they had to have Tanisha Wright, she wouldn't sign for cheap, and the Lynx couldn't afford D-Rob afterwards.

D. Depth/Injuries. Just like worrying about money, worrying about injuries is another terrible excuse. The Lynx are not winning a title this year if Fowles or Maya get injured. Having a healthy starting 5 and a couple GREAT bench players is all that is needed because rotatations tighten in the playoffs often anyways, not having several mediocre players, or having to have a 12th player who will never play. As of now, it also seems that Howard probably would be a much better backup for Brunson than Kizer has shown so far, or playing Maya at the 4, and Brunson is a player who shouldn't get big minutes either. If players like Fagbenle or Zandalisini are incapable of playing any minutes, even in emergency situations, then why does Reeve have them on the team? If the Lynx have to start Wright and Kizer, then they probably aren't winning the title anyways. And actually if injuries decimate the Lynx so badly that they lose lots of games (instead of losing games because these genius "revamped bench" hasn't gelled or produced yet), then the blessing is they'll get a high enough draft pick that could useful, and they didn't have to trade any good players to get it, like when the Sparks lost a lot of games and barely made the playoffs when Parker was resting and they had other players miss time, and parlayed their high pick into getting Gray, Sims, and Wiese.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/29/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Becky was not ready to retire and Howard wanted to start and both parties decided the best place to do that would be elsewhere ?

PostPosted: 05/29/18 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Howard wanted to start and both parties decided the best place to do that would be elsewhere ?

This is what I was thinking as well. That's really the only thing that makes sense to me..

EDIT: Sorry, kept the post going even though it has nothing to do with the thread. Embarassed

Last edited by mavcarter on 05/29/18 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be very amusing if Seattle completes the 2018 season with a better record than Minnesota. Just lovely! Smile Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Maybe Becky was not ready to retire and Howard wanted to start and both parties decided the best place to do that would be elsewhere ?

If that's the case, then I am outraged that the Lynx "have" to be the farm system for the rest of the league.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm guessing Natasha is one happy camper at this point.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: