68%  [ 15 ]
Liberty
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 22

pasteurize

PostPosted: 05/25/18 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Looked like Fowles threw it out of bounds after Nurse touched it, and it didn't go near Charles. Don't see why it is taking so long.

I thought that was pretty clear from what we saw on the replays as well. Oh well!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/25/18 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tough loss for New York, but I'm encouraged. Playing against the champions... even without Prince, Rodgers, and Boyd... getting nothing but fouls from Zellous in the first half and little from Charles in the second half... the Liberty almost won. New York played far better than against Chicago. I'm really impressed with Nurse. Zahui B. has made very positive contributions in both games. And Rebecca Allen helped the team tonight.

PostPosted: 05/25/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota age is starting to show once again they had trouble beating a team underman yes a win is a win but down the line this season I'm starting to question if Minnesota handle full strength teams along with younger teams and so far the answer is no

Shades

PostPosted: 05/25/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best game from DRob. The rest of the bench stank. Not a championship bench.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
auntie

PostPosted: 05/25/18 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:
yeah, find it odd Russell is in there instead of Stokes.

My guess: Katie Smith felt Russell had a better chance of defending Fowles than Stokes, Zahui B., or Charles.

Or was Stokes limited in minutes as she recovers from her injury?

PostPosted: 05/25/18 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
tfan wrote:
Looked like Fowles threw it out of bounds after Nurse touched it, and it didn't go near Charles. Don't see why it is taking so long.

yeah, even on all the replays it still looked like Fowles had the last touch and sure didn't look like enough proof to change the original call...and that was probably the game right there. But we don't hear the Minny fans complaining about that call. Laughing

There is also the possibility they used the rule where if on replay you see a foul cause the ball to go out of bounds you can award the ball to the team that was fouled. You can't award shots or a PF to the player, but possession can be awarded.

So my guess is either:
1) The call simply stood as they didn't feel they had enough evidence overturn it, or
2) They saw that Fowles was mugged and that led to the ball going out of bounds.

PostPosted: 05/25/18 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
Minnesota age is starting to show once again they had trouble beating a team underman yes a win is a win but down the line this season I'm starting to question if Minnesota handle full strength teams along with younger teams and so far the answer is no

The Sparks looked the same. Against the Sun, you quickly got the sense they were the better and younger team, and would eventually prevail.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/25/18 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Best game from DRob. The rest of the bench stank. Not a championship bench.

Wright played good defense, which is what she was brought in for. But Kizer and Jones need to be able to hit those wide open 3s. If they can't Reeve needs to get Zandalasini in and see if she can. The lack of a perimeter threat is killing Fowles down low. The Libs were selling out all night on her. As soon as she got the ball, everyone collapsed on her and dared the Lynx to take the open 3.

PostPosted: 05/25/18 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mannman wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:

The Sparks looked the same. Against the Sun, you quickly got the sense they were the better and younger team, and would eventually prevail.

How did the sparks age show when only two active players who played in the game are over the age of 30. The sparks looked like a team who played 3 games to the sun 1 game and was out matched because of the missing players the sun did what they where suppose to do beat a under man sparks team

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/25/18 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Official attendance: 2,315

Wow they make my wings look like an NBA attendance.

PostPosted: 05/25/18 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It was a sellout.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/25/18 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It was a sellout.

Double meaning. (Intended or unintended?) All tickets were sold? Perhaps. Hideous Lord Jimmy sold out Liberty fans by moving virtually all home games to White Plains. Definitely.

PostPosted: 05/25/18 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
mannman wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:

How did the sparks age show when only two active players who played in the game are over the age of 30. The sparks looked like a team who played 3 games to the sun 1 game and was out matched because of the missing players the sun did what they where suppose to do beat a under man sparks team

I wouldn't say the Sparks showed their age. I would say the Sparks showed the strain of 3 consecutive road games without a few of their top players. The Sun are a very formidable team. LA looks like the best team overall, Minnesota 2, Conn 3 and then far back, Phoenix 4 and Dallas 5.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/25/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
And according to Ticketmaster, the game is sold out except for three seats. Do they then start to sell those "extra seats"?

Listed attendance 2315. That is a whole lot of "extra seats."

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/26/18 4:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mannman wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:

Cant compare both situations. Sparks played very well considering they only had 1 postplayer and the Sun made the most of that by playing Chiney and Jones together. As a result Essence Carson had to defend Chiney for most of the game and Nneka was guarding Jones while getting only 1,5 min of rest..

Sparks dont look old at all. With their perimeter players Gray and Sims playing on another level and Nneka working her butt off.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/26/18 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It was a sellout.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/26/18 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It was a sellout.

Double meaning. (Intended or unintended?) All tickets were sold? Perhaps. Hideous Lord Jimmy sold out Liberty fans by moving virtually all home games to White Plains. Definitely.

Coldddd Blooded Embarassed Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: 05/26/18 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
mannman wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:

Yes. Minnesota is at full strength. Parker and several other posts have been M.I.A. this season.

PostPosted: 05/26/18 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:
yeah, find it odd Russell is in there instead of Stokes.

My guess: Katie Smith felt Russell had a better chance of defending Fowles than Stokes, Zahui B., or Charles.

Yes, and that is exactly why some of us have been screaming for a bigger post player than the 6-3 types already on the team. Sometimes pure size helps on defense. It's just a bigger obstacle for the opposing tall post to overcome. Otherwise, it's like big kids playing against little kids -- they just shoot over you with impunity or simply outreach you for rebounds. To Russell's credit, she doesn't do a lot of dumb stuff. She's not out there hoisting up 3-pt shots. She doesn't rack up fouls by flailing at every opponent who passes by. She doesn't get called for a shitload of moving screens. Mercedes gets criticized for not putting up good numbers -- and rightly so. But she doesn't put up numbers for the bad stuff either (TOs, fouls, missed shots). Against really big players, if Russell can help on defense and not otherwise do anything negative, that may be enough to justify putting her on the floor.

And so far, it looks to me like Russell is playing decent positional defense and fitting in with the overall team defense. Over time, I can see her being integrated into the offense more because she does have some legitimate skills. Where she's killing the team is off the boards. For her size, Russell is simply a poor rebounder. This is an issue because the Liberty got outrebounded in this game by 10. They were outrebounded by 13 against Chicago. New York can't win if they don't have an advantage off the boards. They've led the league in rebounding for 4 of the last 5 years. This is who they are. The Liberty don't have enough firepower to overcome double-digit rebound deficits. They did a nice job of reducing turnovers last season, and it's been even better so far this year. But all the gains they've made on the TO front will be negated if they keep losing the battle off the boards.

Overall, I was encouraged by what I saw from New York in this game. I thought the execution and decision-making were a lot better. Right now, after two games, Hartley is shooting 25% and Zellous 16.7%. Even bad shooters make 35%, so I think we're in for some improvement. Being able to hit a lay-up would help. Those lay-up drills Katie has them doing are probably hurting more than helping. Repeatedly flipping the ball up while alternating sides from underneath the basket doesn't simulate game situations. It mostly reinforces the bad habit of not jumping and not focusing before going up for a putback. Too often we see players grab a rebound and simply flip the ball back up, missing the lay-up badly. Meanwhile, this drill does nothing to fix the main problem of missing lay-ups off drives. Smith needs to come up with another solution. Other than that, she also has to address the rebounding issue.

It will be interesting to see who gets cut once everybody is healthy. The bubble players -- Zahui, Russell, and Allen -- are making a case for themselves. Vaughn and the version of Rodgers we've seen lately haven't been missed.

PostPosted: 05/26/18 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So my questions for those that attended the game at WCC.

1.) How was the atmosphere? On TV is sounded loud, but 2,300 people can only do so much.
2.) What's the parking situation there?
3.) What's the deal with concessions there? Do they serve alcohol?
4.) What's near by? Anything walkable or worth looking at before a game?
5.) Did anyone bother to ask how they'll double capacity if they need to add more seats?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 05/26/18 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Out of Zahui B, Allen and Russell, Russell is the clear cut. Zahui B and Allen have impressed me with their improved play. Russell at 6'6" can't rebound and gives us nothing offensively. Reshanda Gray provided more during preseason than Russell.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/26/18 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It appears Prince and Boyd are very close to coming back. Once that happens, Zellous would be a full time SF again. Do you consider cutting Coleman in favor of Russell? There’s something to be said about Fowles only taking 5 shots.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/26/18 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/news/postgame-notes-from-lynx-liberty/

On why Maya sat from five-minute mark until about a minute to go:
Quote:
“Yeah, I thought she was awful. She didn’t have legs, she didn’t look good, and just through the years, you learn about your players. I probably sat her longer than what I ordinarily would, but when you feel momentum you have to ride it. It was hard to resist putting her in, because it’s Maya Moore. We waited for exactly the right time.”

Moore on fourth quarter production…

Quote:
“So as a head coach who is going to go down as one of the best head coaches, she took me out. It ended up working out, when I came back in I was ready to go. I stayed engaged, I didn’t pout although I was mad at myself for not being able to be in there.”

Wow, what coach wouldn’t want to have a player like this?

Sylvia Fowles on playing in new arena for Liberty…

Quote:
“I don’t know how New York feels about playing here, but it’s a good atmosphere. It feels like the fans are right on top of you. They made a lot of noise, they had a full crowd tonight for the opener. I feel it’s a great place to start. As women we are making progress in the world, and if we have to take a step back to go forward; sometimes that’s what it takes.”

Katie Smith on playing at the Westchester County Center…

Quote:
“It was a blast! Great energy and very intimate! It’s a very cozy place that is great for basketball, great place for us to play and I hope the fans had a good time as well.”

Katie Smith on tonight’s defense…

Quote:
“I thought our defense was pretty solid. We can keep getting better in all aspects. We’re going to continue to learn and to grow as a team. But I was really impressed with tonight’s performance.”

On support from front office personnel and league…

Quote:
“This is a very great franchise and it’s been like that since the beginning. You have loyal fans. The ownership has always had our backs. They’re a major part of what we do. They make sure we have everything we need so we can have success on the floor and it goes for all areas. The excitement from being here and having them here to watch us play was amazing.”

Charles on playing in Westchester…

Quote:
“We are very thankful and grateful for those individuals from the city that commute out. You know my father is from Brooklyn and he came out, my mother is in Long Island and she came out. We are very thankful for the commitment for our season ticket holders and just what the NY Liberty management was able to do to make it as close to the same atmosphere and feel as Madison Square Garden.”

tfan

PostPosted: 05/26/18 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Moore on fourth quarter production…

Quote:
“So as a head coach who is going to go down as one of the best head coaches, she took me out. It ended up working out, when I came back in I was ready to go. I stayed engaged, I didn’t pout although I was mad at myself for not being able to be in there.”

Wow, what coach wouldn’t want to have a player like this?

They would like to have her, but more so for the fact that she can bail the Lynx out at any time by getting off a clean jumper regardless of who is covering her, than for quotes she gives to reporters.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/26/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So my questions for those that attended the game at WCC.

1.) How was the atmosphere? On TV is sounded loud, but 2,300 people can only do so much.
2.) What's the parking situation there?
3.) What's the deal with concessions there? Do they serve alcohol?
4.) What's near by? Anything walkable or worth looking at before a game?
5.) Did anyone bother to ask how they'll double capacity if they need to add more seats?

2300 in small space can probably be pretty loud. I think the real question is how much excitement do you feel going into the place? That's why a lot fans go to games.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: