RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 05/25/18 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
No, that doesn’t sound right. Reeve won the year the Lynx went from the lottery to championship (Maya effect). She’s only won once since then. I suspect there wasn’t a greatly improved team in 2016, so they decided to default to one of the best teams. Reeve was overdue for another one.

They probably want to avoid what they did when the league started - gave it to Van Chancellor, coach of the stacked team of the day, three years in a row. In 2017 Curt Miller was selected before the Sun had played a playoff game. They must always pick it before the playoffs have concluded, based on regular season record. In 21 years of selections, the coach of the year has been the coach with the best record 11 times - 52% of the time ("often times").

But it probably goes:

If any team significantly improved - and made the playoffs
coach of the year
else
if team with best record wasn't coach of the year last year
coach of the year
else
some other good team gets coach of the year.

Last edited by tfan on 05/25/18 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 05/25/18 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
Current coach stats (plus Cooper because his name gets mentioned):
Agler. 14yrs. .549 win% 9yrs playoffs
Brondello. 5yrs .574. 5yrs
Chatman. 7yrs. .481. 4yrs
Hughes. 16yrs. .453. 10yrs
Laimbeer. 13yrs. .573. 9yrs
Miller. 2yrs. .545. 1yr
Reeve. 8yrs. .716. 7yrs
Stocks. 1yr. .353. 0yrs
Thibault. 15yrs. .566. 12yrs
Williams. 9yrs. .460. 4yrs
Cooper. 12yrs. .592. 8yrs

But if you graph their yearly records you see variations showing how important personnel is. For example, Agler got a championship with the Storm and the Sparks, and never made the playoffs with the Lynx. Dan Hughes has been Coach of the Year twice and made the WNBA finals, but has also missed the playoffs 6 of 16 years (37%).

zune69

PostPosted: 05/25/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
1.Carol Ross-4th highest regular season win% of all-time....644(58-32)...High expectations got Ross fired.

Ross Record:
2012:24-10
2013:24-10
2014:10-12

Ross got fired with a 10-12 record after back to back 24 win seasons.

2.Ann Donovan-Great post player coach...Liz would greatly benefit from having Ann as a HC.

3.Eric Thibault...Son of Mike Thibault...has 10 years experience as a wnba assistant coach.He's paid his dues.

If Dallas does not make the playoffs Fred should get the AX....Standing Pat would be asinine...Fred's record as Tulsa/Dallas HC is 58-81...This is Fred's 5th season as Shock/Wings HC....How much rope should Fred be given?

Zune you must be fed up with Fred!!! Laughing

Laughing.....I've been wanting to fire Fred's ass for the last 3 seasons....The undisciplined offense and terrible defense over his first 4 seasons as Head Coach is just inexcusable...I'm willing to give him somewhat of a pass because he was starting a backup center(Paris)...But still,Fred never developed Paris or held her accountable.The same way he didn't hold Sims accountable.Sims entered the WNBA as an elite on ball defender...Fred decided to give Sims a green light on offense.Turning her into a one dimensional,high volume,low percentage basketball player...Now look at Sims...She's a legit two-way player...Very good on offense,and great on defense...Fred has given Diggins to much freedom to do what she wants on offense...Skylar's avg the 3rd most fga in the league(16.0)...while shooting a terrible 37%...I'd like to see Cambage get more touches in the post.

I believe Dallas should win 20 games minimum...But I don't think Fred's the right Man/Woman for the job.Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Mojo

PostPosted: 05/25/18 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Mojo wrote:
Miller. 2yrs. .545. 1yr
Reeve. 8yrs. .716. 7yrs
Stocks. 1yr. .353. 0yrs

But if you graph their yearly records you see variations showing how important personnel is. For example, Agler got a championship with the Storm and the Sparks, and never made the playoffs with the Lynx. Dan Hughes has been Coach of the Year twice and made the WNBA finals, but has also missed the playoffs 6 of 16 years (37%).

The last 8 yrs, number of times picking top 4
Dallas 7
Seattle 5
Chicago 5
Las Vegas 4
Conn 3
Minn 3
LA 1
Pho 1
Wash 1
NY1
Atl 0
Ins 0
Dallas was not in the top 4 picks 2 times, both those times picking 5, Other teams have also struggled to pull up into elite status, but Dallas has had the most opportunities for quality players. Fred is starting his fifth year with the organization. Does Fred have the ability to figure out how to get the most out of each individual and at the same time create a congruous successful team? Offense + defense = winning = playoff wins. Additionally, the team deserves better attendance win or lose.

Mojo

PostPosted: 05/25/18 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Mojo wrote:
Miller. 2yrs. .545. 1yr
Reeve. 8yrs. .716. 7yrs
Stocks. 1yr. .353. 0yrs

The last 8 yrs, number of times picking top 4
Dallas 7
Seattle 5
Chicago 5
Las Vegas 4
Conn 4
Minn 3
LA 1
Pho 1
Wash 1
NY1
Atl 0
Ins 0
Dallas was not in the top 4 picks 2 times, those times picking 5 and 6, Other teams have also struggled to pull up into elite status, but Dallas has had the most opportunities for quality players. Fred is starting his fifth year with the organization. Does Fred have the ability to figure out how to get the most out of each individual and at the same time create a congruous successful team? Offense + defense = winning = playoff wins. Additionally, the team deserves better fan attendance win or lose.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So obviously our team is still not ready to battle with the big girls. Drop dead fred has no clue on how to run this team and get defensive intensity for a full 40 minutes. I retract my title talk and just wish for a semifinal birth. Fred will make you lower your expectations verrrrry quickly.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
So obviously our team is still not ready to battle with the big girls. Drop dead fred has no clue on how to run this team and get defensive intensity for a full 40 minutes. I retract my title talk and just wish for a semifinal birth. Fred will make you lower your expectations verrrrry quickly.

+1

At this point,I'm just hoping they make the playoffs......But a playoff berth would secure Fred's job for another season Crying or Very sad ....Might even get a contract extension.

Fred should be kissing Cambage's Ass......19.0p/12.0r/2.8a/2.8b/58%/65%....Cambeast for MVP.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
sometimes people who are very good assistants are not necessarily good head coaches

Trudi Lacey was considered an excellent assistant coach...

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

+1

At this point,I'm just hoping they make the playoffs......But a playoff berth would secure Fred's job for another season Crying or Very sad ....Might even get a contract extension.

Fred should be kissing Cambage's Ass......19.0p/12.0r/2.8a/2.8b/58%/65%....Cambeast for MVP.

You sure turned on Fred quickly. Surprised

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

+1

Your comment was obviously directed at WNBA 09....i've never been in Fred's corner.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she is ever healthy how about

Davis (or Powers) and Dallas' 2nd round pick in 19 for Jefferson

Laimbeer likes big guards and the Wings could move Sky off the ball

Jefferson/Chong
Diggins-Smith/Gray
KCK/Thorton/Powers
GloJo/Stevens
Cambage/Plaisance/Lewis

L. Allen/Plum
McBride/Davis
Young/Coffey/Nared
Wilson/Hamby
Bone/Swords/Park

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/29/18 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

+1

Fred would probably love to kiss her buttocks but I believe his wife would not like that. Wink Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/29/18 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

+1

Your comment was obviously directed at WNBA 09....i've never been in Fred's corner.

You’re the one predicting a low bar for keeping his job. Making the playoffs is nothing for this team. He should be gone regardless, like I said the other night. My grandma could coach this team to the playoffs.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/30/18 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

+1

I havent turned 100% but tonight was a disgrace. We couldn't put our foot down and thats directly at the coach.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Chong
Diggins-Smith/Gray
KCK/Thorton/Powers
GloJo/Stevens
Cambage/Plaisance/Lewis

L. Allen/Plum
McBride/Davis
Young/Coffey/Nared
Wilson/Hamby
Bone/Swords/Park

We have diggins no need for jefferson.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Chong
Diggins-Smith/Gray
KCK/Thorton/Powers
GloJo/Stevens
Cambage/Plaisance/Lewis

L. Allen/Plum
McBride/Davis
Young/Coffey/Nared
Wilson/Hamby
Bone/Swords/Park

I was just expanding off of someone suggestion that Diggins might benefit from playing off the ball since Gray has been struggling at the SG spot.

Honestly I want MoJeff in NY so I don't mind this not working out.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/30/18 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Chong
Diggins-Smith/Gray
KCK/Thorton/Powers
GloJo/Stevens
Cambage/Plaisance/Lewis

L. Allen/Plum
McBride/Davis
Young/Coffey/Nared
Wilson/Hamby
Bone/Swords/Park

I was just expanding off of someone suggestion that Diggins might benefit from playing off the ball since Gray has been struggling at the SG spot.

If Skylar wants to be the #1 scoring option,move her to the 2.

Gray & Plaisance for Jefferson & Harrison seems like a fair trade Very Happy

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/30/18 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skylar wants it's it all. She wants to be known as a great shooting guard and a great point guard. Skylar would devour anyone that would take the ball out her hands and play point guard.

I can hear Skylar saying this to any point guard trying to take the ball from her.
King Kong ain't got sh*t on me!

PostPosted: 05/30/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Chong
Diggins-Smith/Gray
KCK/Thorton/Powers
GloJo/Stevens
Cambage/Plaisance/Lewis

L. Allen/Plum
McBride/Davis
Young/Coffey/Nared
Wilson/Hamby
Bone/Swords/Park

I like any of the above trades to include Williams for Laimbeer

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/30/18 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
zune69 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson/Chong
Diggins-Smith/Gray
KCK/Thorton/Powers
GloJo/Stevens
Cambage/Plaisance/Lewis

L. Allen/Plum
McBride/Davis
Young/Coffey/Nared
Wilson/Hamby
Bone/Swords/Park

I like any of the above trades to include Williams for Laimbeer

Sold !

PostPosted: 05/30/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

+1

I havent turned 100% but tonight was a disgrace. We couldn't put our foot down and thats directly at the coach.

There are numerous things that Fred does not do, little things that add up. At the top of that list is not winning enough games, considering that Dallas has a lot of talent, considering Glory is a difference maker and out, considering this team is teetering above/below .500 instead of meeting expectations of a big year.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/30/18 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta get Liz the ball.

Mojo

PostPosted: 05/30/18 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopes for enough wins to make the playoffs will keep Fred as coach. The team will more than likely make the playoffs. Get Glory on the court, Powers and Plaisance as options and hope for abilities of both players and coaches to improve and calculate into wins. Beyond the obvious of how much the team's success depends on Cambage and Diggins-Smith, Thornton deserves recognition for what she has done with Glory out. I think the coach can get more out of Davis, Gray and Stevens with well-designed plays and having the right player on the court for situational matchup.
Come on Dallas. Win.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/30/18 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
Hopes for enough wins to make the playoffs will keep Fred as coach.

This is why I'm torn on how I want Dallas to do this year. They're a talented roster who appear to need just one more personnel move to reach their full potential. WFFLs have been starved of success, so I get the attraction of finishing in the upper half of the standings, but being a legit title contender should be the aim.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Mojo wrote:
Hopes for enough wins to make the playoffs will keep Fred as coach.

This is why I'm torn on how I want Dallas to do this year. They're a talented roster who appear to need just one more personnel move to reach their full potential. WFFLs have been starved of success, so I get the attraction of finishing in the upper half of the standings, but being a legit title contender should be the aim.

BINGO! Luuc you could not have said this any better

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 33 of 41

Jump to: