RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 05/25/18 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/25/libertys-end-how-a-great-new-york-team-was-banished-to-the-suburbs?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 05/25/18 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York Liberty moving to County Center, hoping to build Westchester fan base

Quote:
“I hear Westchester really supports basketball,” said Zellous, who got a taste of the arena during an intrasquad game. “We’ll prepare and whatever happens happens. But we have some diehard Liberty fans and some of those fans will be there, for sure.”

toad455

PostPosted: 05/25/18 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

these articles need to edit their capacity quotes. It's only 2,300 but can be doubled by some force of nature. We shall see what's reported tonight, but I know for a fact that the Westchester Knicks have draw over 3,000 for several games.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/25/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nm

Last edited by toad455 on 05/25/18 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 05/25/18 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://highposthoops.com/2018/05/25/wnba-lynx-liberty-tina-charles/

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/25/18 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
New York Liberty moving to County Center, hoping to build Westchester fan base

Quote:
“I hear Westchester really supports basketball,” said Zellous, who got a taste of the arena during an intrasquad game. “We’ll prepare and whatever happens happens. But we have some diehard Liberty fans and some of those fans will be there, for sure.”

Key word = 'some'

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 05/26/18 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/25/libertys-end-how-a-great-new-york-team-was-banished-to-the-suburbs?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

not a great article...anyone who's been to 1 mystics game the last 10 years would have a good ROFL at the Mystics numbers

but the Libs are not the same case I've brought up the Math Problem before It is impossible for me to say 2315 fans a game can be more profitable than 9000 fans even if 6-7 are paid and the rest are giveaways (Who SHOW by the way...big time)

They aren't even pitching individual tix...just filling some of the funkier seats with youth teams in the endcourts (And there is some FUNK there)

I'm glad someone else brought up that it seems NBA owners are intentionally trying to devalue the league. I think this will come up in the pending CBA discussions.

I will post my main thoughts on the game thread regarding WCC but there is a lot of good out of a horrible situation.

PostPosted: 05/26/18 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder since it’s a prime location if MSG gets a piece of the gate in the big time concerts. That could rake in a pretty penny.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/26/18 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vaughn activated, Russell released, according to .com's Transactions page.

PostPosted: 05/26/18 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thx for update.

PostPosted: 05/26/18 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the style of offense being used by Katie should help Vaughn. I don’t expect her to play back to the basket nearly as much.

PostPosted: 05/26/18 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To The Liberty:

Why did it take us fans so long to find out why Prince was not in training camp because of a concussion ? Why did we have to find out from another poster?
THIS IS NOT RIGHT FOR YOUR FANS !

THESE ARE THE FANS YOU WANT TO SPEND METRO NORTH TICKETS
AND TICKETS IN WCC

DO WE DESERVE MORE ?

i THINK SO

What about you Liberty Fans ?

mathmaggie

PostPosted: 05/26/18 8:22 pm    ::: HItting Dolan in his pocket, where it hurts and could matter Reply Reply with quote

Hi everybody!
I wanted to make everyone aware of an article that appeared in the Daily News about MSG and the Liberty. Please see below.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/msg-lose-tax-cut-giving-n-y-liberty-boot-pol-warns-article-1.3874880

As a result of that article, I wrote to Gale Brewer, the Manhattan Borough President in support of her and her plan to change the tax abatement for MSG as a result of their decision to kick the Liberty out of the garden. I hope that many people will write to her.
Her address is:

Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer
1 Centre Street, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10007

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/26/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Vaughn activated, Russell released, according to .com's Transactions page.

Does "released" rather than "waived" indicate that Russell was a replacement player?

The subject continues to be of interest because a team is entitled to an emergency hardship when they have only 9 healthy bodies. I originally thought it was 8. So, if Boyd, Prince, and Rodgers are still out then the Liberty would remain eligible. Perhaps this indicates that one of those three will be ready to play on Tuesday. Or it's also possible that NY intends to bring in a replacement player, but they prefer to add a guard instead.

Of course, they may just feel it's not worth the effort. Nine is enough. Smile

PostPosted: 05/26/18 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if Prince, Boyd & Rodgers are all out, I'd rather them bring back Faris to add another guard. With Vaughn back we have 4 posts.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/26/18 10:21 pm    ::: Re: HItting Dolan in his pocket, where it hurts and could ma Reply Reply with quote

mathmaggie wrote:
Hi everybody!
I wanted to make everyone aware of an article that appeared in the Daily News about MSG and the Liberty. Please see below.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/msg-lose-tax-cut-giving-n-y-liberty-boot-pol-warns-article-1.3874880

As a result of that article, I wrote to Gale Brewer, the Manhattan Borough President in support of her and her plan to change the tax abatement for MSG as a result of their decision to kick the Liberty out of the garden. I hope that many people will write to her.
Her address is:

Manhattan Borough President Gale A. Brewer
1 Centre Street, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10007

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm writing to Gale Brewer.

PostPosted: 05/26/18 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's something I've just noticed that is fascinating. After two games, the Liberty player with the most total minutes on the court is...

Kia Nurse. She played almost 29 minutes in Game One and just over 34 minutes in Game Two.

I hope that Prince, Rodgers, and Boyd will all be back on Tuesday or soon. But I want to see Kia Nurse on the court for the Liberty for 28-30 minutes a game, no matter which guards and small forwards have to sit. Undoubtedly she'll have her ups and downs as a rookie. But she's been incredibly impressive.

PostPosted: 05/27/18 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think we should place all these expectations on a rookie so early in the process. I've been watching Kia pretty much since her first game with UConn. She's capable of big games, but she's also prone to getting amped up and trying too hard when she succumbs to visions of glory. We saw this after her 33 point performance as a 19-year-old at the 2015 PanAm games, leading Canada to a gold medal over the US. Afterward, Kia went back to UConn and tried to be a star. That led to her worst start in any season of her college career. Nurse then went to the 2016 Olympics, had one really good game against Serbia, but otherwise shot an abysmal 25% for the tournament. I remember watching Canada's quarter-final loss against France. Kia kept driving to the basket or posting up. She was able to get to the rim time and again, which should have been the hard part. But instead, Kia kept missing the lay-ups. She ended up shooting 3-17 in that game.

Katie Smith is already running plays for Nurse like she's some kind of go-to player. I think it's a mistake. Just let Kia succeed while playing naturally and let her build up more confidence first. Smith should watch what the Yankees are doing with Gleyber Torres. In a star-studded lineup, Torres has been the team's best player over the last three weeks. Nonetheless, Aaron Boone keeps hitting him in the 9th spot. Things are going good, so why not leave well enough alone? It's so hard to develop young players, and their confidence is easily shaken. Why put more pressure on them? Certainly Liberty fans have reason for optimism based on what they've seen of Nurse so far. However, I think people need to curb their enthusiasm -- and that goes for the coach too.

PostPosted: 05/27/18 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I don't think we should place all these expectations on a rookie so early in the process. I've been watching Kia pretty much since her first game with UConn. She's capable of big games, but she's also prone to getting amped up and trying too hard when she succumbs to visions of glory. We saw this after her 33 point performance as a 19-year-old at the 2015 PanAm games, leading Canada to a gold medal over the US. Afterward, Kia went back to UConn and tried to be a star. That led to her worst start in any season of her college career. Nurse then went to the 2016 Olympics, had one really good game against Serbia, but otherwise shot an abysmal 25% for the tournament. I remember watching Canada's quarter-final loss against France. Kia kept driving to the basket or posting up. She was able to get to the rim time and again, which should have been the hard part. But instead, Kia kept missing the lay-ups. She ended up shooting 3-17 in that game.

Katie Smith is already running plays for Nurse like she's some kind of go-to player. I think it's a mistake. Just let Kia succeed while playing naturally and let her build up more confidence first. Smith should watch what the Yankees are doing with Gleyber Torres. In a star-studded lineup, Torres has been the team's best player over the last three weeks. Nonetheless, Aaron Boone keeps hitting him in the 9th spot. Things are going good, so why not leave well enough alone? It's so hard to develop young players, and their confidence is easily shaken. Why put more pressure on them? Certainly Liberty fans have reason for optimism based on what they've seen of Nurse so far. However, I think people need to curb their enthusiasm -- and that goes for the coach too.

I said that as a rookie she'll of course have her ups and downs. I believe Nurse should be on the court a lot--especially since there's no way this team will win this year's WNBA championship whether Nurse plays wonderfully or horribly. She looks to me like an important part of the Liberty's future.

Perhaps Katie Smith should indeed "curb her enthusiasm" about Kia Nurse. But why should I? There's no way that my enthusiasm will hurt Nurse or anyone else--except perhaps myself if she plays badly in her next 32 games and my enthusiasm then looks seriously misguided.

PostPosted: 05/27/18 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love to have Nurse on the Dream, but it important to remember a lot of rookies shine in their first few games before they get on the scouting reports. I would be thrilled if I was a Liberty fan though.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/27/18 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

Perhaps Katie Smith should indeed "curb her enthusiasm" about Kia Nurse. But why should I? There's no way that my enthusiasm will hurt Nurse or anyone else--except perhaps myself if she plays badly in her next 32 games and my enthusiasm then looks seriously misguided.

I wasn't only referring to you. Just because a post follows yours doesn't mean it's aimed primarily at you. My words were meant as a warning to all fans based on Nurse's history. Obviously, what fans feel doesn't impact play on the court. For all I care, you can have fantasies of marrying Kia Nurse -- knock yourself out!

PostPosted: 05/27/18 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think it’s necessarily that Katie Smith is running a lot of stuff for Nurse as it’s been situational. Z was in foul trouble due to that bogus third foul. She sat the whole first half. With all the missing players and Nurse coming off the bench, she was in lineups where she was often the best or second best player on the floor. When certain players return, we will see how that impacts Nurse. Hopefully it will mean less PG time and more time at her natural positions.

She does have to get better as a mid-range shooter and finisher. And yes scouting reports will probably force her to adapt. But she’s already the best defensive player and second-best passer (possibly best) on the team. That won’t change.

For me, I’m just projecting forward. Nurse was a 45% 3 point shooter in college so we know she can shoot. Her FTs are automatic and she has a knack for drawing contact. The pro game is different from college with the spacing and the wider lane. I feel like that should help her style of play moving forward as well.

PostPosted: 05/27/18 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wanted to see the Lynx actually pressure Nurse when the Liberty were using her as a point guard in the most recent game, but they never really did. I don't think we've actually seen whether her handle is good enough to be a primary ballhandler in this league yet because it hasn't been tested. Maybe she is, or maybe she isn't and she'll do just fine as a 2/3 anyway, but I'd like to see someone make her vaguely prove it.

PostPosted: 05/27/18 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I think she’s more of a filler one spot player than one you want in your rotation. Could be defensive styles of the teams we’ve played and/or Nurse’s wingspan (hard to steal) that dictate that. But it goes without saying she’s very right-hand dominant with a high dribble. Too much for a true PG. Acceptable for the wing positions but let’s just say I’m hoping Piph and/or Boyd return soon.

Plus side is it says something about her intangibles that she swings between all 3 spots from an IQ standpoint. New teammates, new system, adjustment from college to pro, etc.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 05/27/18 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/27/18 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
To The Liberty:

Why did it take us fans so long to find out why Prince was not in training camp because of a concussion ? Why did we have to find out from another poster?
THIS IS NOT RIGHT FOR YOUR FANS !

THESE ARE THE FANS YOU WANT TO SPEND METRO NORTH TICKETS
AND TICKETS IN WCC

DO WE DESERVE MORE ?

i THINK SO

What about you Liberty Fans ?

I agree. And that post about Piph came from the gambling site Donbest.com in the injuries section. That’s what we are reduced to. Finding out about injuries from a gambling site because we can’t get the info elsewhere.

Season ticket holders here. Living with the trip, expense and trying to find the positives about the building. I can do all that. But we deserve info integral to the team’s performance. Shouldn’t be too much to ask for.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 63 of 90

Jump to: