RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Random Thoughts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadaball

PostPosted: 05/23/18 2:20 pm    ::: Random Thoughts Reply Reply with quote

Unlike the NBA press which can be both critical and objective, here are some early season thoughts you won't read about in the WNBA media.
One really has to feel sorry for Atlanta's Clarendon. Last year was a breakout for her as team pg/leader. Yes she cannot shoot 3's but, otherwise, I thought she was on path to be one of the top point guards in the league. Atlanta signed Rene Montgomery in free agency. The former UConn pg certainly has talent, but she is not a very good passer, and lacks good instincts to run a team. Today, in an easy win vs Chicago, she managed to jack up more than one inopportune 3 while Clarenden plays limited minutes. I wonder what Layshia thinks; it is not like she is playing behind a future Hall of Famer. Ironically, players like Angel and Hayes have shown the Dream can survive subpar point guards; remember how Atlanta made the championship series with Shalee Lehning running the team.
While on the subject of Atlanta can someone explain why two all time slow footers like Maggie Lucas and Blake Dietrich both made the roster. OK. maybe Lucas was kept as a pure 3 point shooter at bottom of bench, but both of them? In another sport some might wonder if the fact they are the only 2 white roster players was a factor.
When former college stars first appear on a WNBA court it is interesting how often many just seem smaller than their undergraduate appearances. Karlie Samuelson seems to break that mold. Watching her in 2 LA Sparks games she seems bigger and stronger than her Stanford days. Interesting that Agler has used this free agent far more than former first rounder Weise. With the upcoming return of 3 roster players, LA must cut someone. Sydney probably survives like other bust first rounders Brionna Jones (cannot run, nor jump) and Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis (never been a perimeter player with that kind of body in the W).
Upon further consideration, I think that Samuelson has shown more in 2 games than KML has in her entire WNBA career. They are both 3 point shooters by reputation, but at least the ex Stanford star can move, and guard someone.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/23/18 3:01 pm    ::: Re: Random Thoughts Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
While on the subject of Atlanta can someone explain why two all time slow footers like Maggie Lucas and Blake Dietrich both made the roster. OK. maybe Lucas was kept as a pure 3 point shooter at bottom of bench, but both of them?

Maggie Lucas is not a pure 3-point shooter in the WNBA. She's a career 34% shooter, and has only had one season over 31%.

canadaball

PostPosted: 05/23/18 3:12 pm    ::: Re: Random Thoughts Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
canadaball wrote:
While on the subject of Atlanta can someone explain why two all time slow footers like Maggie Lucas and Blake Dietrich both made the roster. OK. maybe Lucas was kept as a pure 3 point shooter at bottom of bench, but both of them?

Maggie Lucas is not a pure 3-point shooter in the WNBA. She's a career 34% shooter, and has only had one season over 31%.

Sorry, I was trying to find some possible reason she is on this roster.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/23/18 3:13 pm    ::: Re: Random Thoughts Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:

Sorry, I was trying to find some possible reason she is on this roster.

Review the ATL thread.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/23/18 4:32 pm    ::: Re: Random Thoughts Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Unlike the NBA press which can be both critical and objective, here are some early season thoughts you won't read about in the WNBA media.
One really has to feel sorry for Atlanta's Clarendon. Last year was a breakout for her as team pg/leader. Yes she cannot shoot 3's but, otherwise, I thought she was on path to be one of the top point guards in the league. Atlanta signed Rene Montgomery in free agency. The former UConn pg certainly has talent, but she is not a very good passer, and lacks good instincts to run a team. Today, in an easy win vs Chicago, she managed to jack up more than one inopportune 3 while Clarenden plays limited minutes. I wonder what Layshia thinks; it is not like she is playing behind a future Hall of Famer. Ironically, players like Angel and Hayes have shown the Dream can survive subpar point guards; remember how Atlanta made the championship series with Shalee Lehning running the team.
While on the subject of Atlanta can someone explain why two all time slow footers like Maggie Lucas and Blake Dietrich both made the roster. OK. maybe Lucas was kept as a pure 3 point shooter at bottom of bench, but both of them? In another sport some might wonder if the fact they are the only 2 white roster players was a factor.
When former college stars first appear on a WNBA court it is interesting how often many just seem smaller than their undergraduate appearances. Karlie Samuelson seems to break that mold. Watching her in 2 LA Sparks games she seems bigger and stronger than her Stanford days. Interesting that Agler has used this free agent far more than former first rounder Weise. With the upcoming return of 3 roster players, LA must cut someone. Sydney probably survives like other bust first rounders Brionna Jones (cannot run, nor jump) and Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis (never been a perimeter player with that kind of body in the W).
Upon further consideration, I think that Samuelson has shown more in 2 games than KML has in her entire WNBA career. They are both 3 point shooters by reputation, but at least the ex Stanford star can move, and guard someone.

Really enjoyed this. Atlanta roster has been a hot mess since Lori Ann emerged and MaryNell Meadors was forced out. I agree on all counts about Renee Montgomery. Funny thing is she's exactly what Minny was missing against LA. She's a one woman wrecking crew who seems to make key plays on offense and defense that lead to 1 pt victories instead of 1 pt defeats. But she is not a good lead guard. Think Lindsay Whalen, who gets "that look" and wills her teammates to join her on the same page. Renee is as polar oppositie of that as you can get - and that worked in Minny.

Meanwhile, Layshia Clarendon is a completely different player from each of them. She does the one woman "stare down" with a teammate, then sets them up time and again and delights in their shine. IMHO Renee Montgomery was misguided in seeking out a starting PG role and Atlanta was misguided in signing her for it. She's the ideal counterpoint for a player like LWhay and got a ring for doing exactly that. Atlanta already has all the wrecking crew they need in Angel - having two to share the ball leads to chaos. (Now watch Atlanta steamroll the league to prove me wrong)

~rAf
canadaball

PostPosted: 05/23/18 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta is a strange team. The bottom of the bench is useless (I will give Billings an incomplete), yet any team that can bring quality players like Clarenden, Dantas, and Sykes off the bench must be respected. There is an interesting parallel with Angel's year off, and Taurasi missing 2012. The absence of these stars gave their team a one time only high draft pick. Phoenix got lucky with the #3 chance to draw Greiner. Atlanta decided to trade their lottery pick (it ended up #3 which is DeShields) for McGee-Stafford. Now the season is 2 games along, and perhaps injury is a factor, but I do not like the brief playing time Stafford has been given....not a good sign for a team whose main weakness is lack of real front line size.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/24/18 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta is interesting, and McCoughtry is one of the most interesting players in the league ...

How this season plays out in Georgia will be entertaining to watch -- more so if you're not a Dream fan, conceivably.

PostPosted: 05/24/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Atlanta is interesting, and McCoughtry is one of the most interesting players in the league ...

How this season plays out in Georgia will be entertaining to watch -- more so if you're not a Dream fan, conceivably.

Perhaps they should rebrand the team as the Atlanta Mystery because no one can figure out what they will do, but given the sports history the city is known for, the Atlanta Misery might be better.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/24/18 10:54 pm    ::: Re: Random Thoughts Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:

One really has to feel sorry for Atlanta's Clarendon. Last year was a breakout for her as team pg/leader. Yes she cannot shoot 3's but, otherwise, I thought she was on path to be one of the top point guards in the league. Atlanta signed Rene Montgomery in free agency. The former UConn pg certainly has talent, but she is not a very good passer, and lacks good instincts to run a team. Today, in an easy win vs Chicago, she managed to jack up more than one inopportune 3 while Clarenden plays limited minutes. I wonder what Layshia thinks; it is not like she is playing behind a future Hall of Famer..

I was wondering about this as well. I don't think Monty should be a starting PG and I thought that Clarenden brought a steadfastness to a pretty 'wild' team. Monty just adds to the wildness and I don't think that bodes well for them.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: