RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NFL's National Anthem Policy and Reaction To It

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 05/23/18 8:55 pm    ::: NFL's National Anthem Policy and Reaction To It Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ihK9qHrG4q4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/ihK9qHrG4q4

Give it to me in a nutshell. What's the new policy?

Any team personnel, including players, must "stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem" if they're on the field at that time, according to the policy statement. It replaces a previous policy that said players "should" stand but did not make it required.

What does "on the field at that time" mean?

Players who don't want to stand have the option to go to the locker room during the anthem performance. There will be no discipline for doing so.

"We're not forcing anyone to stand that doesn't feel that's within the way they feel about the particular subjects," Pittsburgh Steelers owner Art Rooney II said. "But those that are on the field are going to be asked to stand."

Does that mean any player in the locker room during the anthem will be assumed to be in silent protest?

That's where things start to get complicated. Players sometimes go in for last-second treatment or (emergency) bathroom breaks. They now might have to clarify why they were not on the field.

How exactly will the NFL define "showing respect" for players who are on the field for the anthem?

It's a fair question given the frequency of disputes between players and the league on policy interpretations. What's clear is that the anthem policy extends beyond kneeling or sitting. Linking arms and raising fists, for example, are also expected to be prohibited.

Owners queried on this issue Wednesday said, in essence, that they'll know it when they see it.

"We didn't define exactly what they have to be doing to be out there," Rooney said, "but I think everyone understands what it means to be respectful toward the anthem."

This is actually a quite reasonable point. If the point of protest is to draw attention, the protest itself can't be subtle. It's difficult to imagine a scenario in which a player is perceived to have protested when in fact he intended no such thing.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23585814/nfl-national-anthem-policy-faq-answering-biggest-questions

PostPosted: 05/23/18 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/275970/players-coaches-and-owners-react-to-the-national-anthem-policy

PostPosted: 05/24/18 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NBA Coach Steve Kerr Says NFL is ‘Scaring People’ With ‘Fake Patriotism’

Quote:
“It’s idiotic,” he said. “But that’s how the NFL has conducted their business. I’m proud to be in a league that understands patriotism in America is about free speech and peacefully protesting. Our leadership in the NBA understands when the NFL players were kneeling, they were kneeling to protest police brutality, to protest racial inequality. They weren’t disrespecting the flag or the military.”

https://www.mediaite.com/online/nba-coach-steve-kerr-says-nfl-is-scaring-people-with-fake-patriotism/

PostPosted: 05/24/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Note that the NFL's new policy is essentially identical to the policy the NBA has had in effect since the Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf controversy more than 20 years ago.

PostPosted: 05/24/18 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M3_R_W_mQ3c" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/M3_R_W_mQ3c

PostPosted: 05/24/18 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Politicians don't get it. The fans don't get it. The NFL doesn't get it. Even the players don't understand the truth of the issue. It's not about the anthem. It's not about the flag. It's not even about social injustice.

It's the anger people are feeling from the internal conflict raging in every American regarding this issue. It's about wrapping oneself in the security blanket of the lie and one's disdain of the cold truth. It's the battle between one's conscious where the lie resides and one's deep sub-conscious, where the truth actually is.

The lie? That you can go somewhere, or partake in a hobby - and the world will wait for you when you get back to it. In other words, to engage in escapism. To escape from the world. The absolute main reason you do anything or go anywhere in the first place.

You pay $300 to attend a football game and think the world will wait outside the turnstiles while you enjoy yourself. Because that's what you want to believe.

The truth? The world doesn't give a damn about you or how much you paid to get into a football stadium. It came in with you anyways. It was always there. It's the truth you don't want to face.

When you see athletes kneeling, you are actually blaming them for bringing the world into your inner sanctum, your safe and protected zone. But it was never a safe and protected zone. The world was always there, you just chose to close your eyes to it and pretended it wasn't there. You find the athletes guilty of the heinous act. Just look at the comments section on any article regarding this. Time and time again the comments are that fans don't want sports and politics, sports and political correctness, or sports and anything to mix. They just want sports. Period.

But when I look into a stadium these days and see players kneeling, I also see 100,000 fans or more with cell phones who are just as guilty of bringing the world into the stadium with them.

Try as you might, people need to face the truth. You can't escape the world, no matter where you go or how hard you try. And you were never created to do so. You were meant to be connected to the world, and revel in it, instead of trying to hide away from it.

This is the truth as I see it, and I am totally at ease in my comfort zone. I do not or will not blame the players for what is happening in today's sports culture. The fans need to understand their internal conflict, let it go and move on. And besides, everyone with an opinion is trying to tell athletes that they need to stand during the playing of the anthem.

For the record, not once, have I heard anyone in America who follows this issue... I have never heard one person use this word to an athlete...

"Please?"

"Won't you please stand for our anthem?"

Why don't you try asking them once instead of yelling at them?

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: