RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA PG's Rankings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/24/18 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

then would you consider Cappie a PG while she was in PX and or Taurasi the last few seasons in PX?

Also Smith in Det?

Has NY even had a PG the last few years?

Is Toliver a PG?

In Indy the offense ran through Catchings a lot even though she played with what would be considered a true PG in January, same could be said for most of the time with McCoughtry in Atl would they be considered PGish?

Randy

PostPosted: 05/24/18 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
then would you consider Cappie a PG while she was in PX and or Taurasi the last few seasons in PX?

Also Smith in Det?

Has NY even had a PG the last few years?

Is Toliver a PG?

In Indy the offense ran through Catchings a lot even though she played with what would be considered a true PG in January, same could be said for most of the time with McCoughtry in Atl would they be considered PGish?

Good point J-Spoon. Players have a constellation of skills and attributes which seldom fit into the more narrowly defined roles of players playing positions 1,2,3,4 or 5.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/24/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have always considered the discussion of point guard (or shooting guard or power forward) to be ultimately meaningless. Basketball is a game of five players on the court at a time. The skills of a particular player fit within the skills of the other players on the team. Presumably Ticha Penechiero and Courtney Vandersloot are the most prototypical point guards, but they played quite differently on defense.

Is the definition of point guard solely an offensive one, and therefore defense doesn't count? Why isn't Cynthia Cooper mentioned? She had more assists than Kim Perrot (4.4 vs 4.0 over the two years they played together) and ran the offense every bit as much as Kim. They played very well together, but the truth is, they were both guards.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/24/18 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Weatherspoon and Penechiero were either unwilling or unable to learn to shoot and score. Because of that neither one deserve to be considered an elite point guard.

At least people have finally quit putting Dawn Staley on these lists.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/24/18 9:40 pm    ::: Re: WNBA PG's Rankings Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
Who are your top 5 PG's in WNBA history?

Mine are:
1A. Lindsay Whalen
1B. Sue Bird
3. Ticha Penicheiro
4. Teresa Weatherspoon
5. Courtney Vandersloot

Mark my words: Chelsea Gray's gonna knock out Spoon.

Anybody else catch KLaw's love for Chelsea on tonight's broadcast? She said she's the only PG she routinely backs up the tape to figure out how Chelsea even saw the pass, let alone make it. She's got that passing "it" factor like Ticha plus she's got a beautiful shot (led the league in 2017 in 3 pt%). She hasn't put in the years yet to be top 5, but I'm just saying she will.

~rAf
Tally24

PostPosted: 05/25/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Bird
2. Whalen
3. Penicheiro
4. T-Spoon
5. Gray
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/25/18 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shannon Johnson was a four time all star and three time All WNBA selection and had much better numbers than Spoon. Why isn't she under consideration?

pilight wrote:
Spoon will be out before it comes to that. I might put Skylar Diggins ahead of her now.

Pilight, I kept waiting for you to mention Ukari Figgs in this thread, since I know you have an affinity for her game and what she brought to her teams.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/25/18 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shannon Johnson was a four time all star and three time All WNBA selection and had much better numbers than Spoon. Why isn't she under consideration?

pilight wrote:
Spoon will be out before it comes to that. I might put Skylar Diggins ahead of her now.

Pilight, I kept waiting for you to mention Ukari Figgs in this thread, since I know you have an affinity for her game and what she brought to her teams.

She peaked in her last college game. #SourDukeGrapes

~rAf
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/26/18 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spoon’s intangibles were off the charts. She willed some moderately skilled teams to compete with Houston admirably in the finals several times, though the East in some of those seasons was woefully weak. Penichiero had Yolanda Griffith. The best player Spoon played with in terms of single-season performance was either VJ or Phillips. That alters the comparison between those 2 IMO.

That said, PG play is so much better in the league today that this list will look completely different before long. Spoon pales in comparison to the careers of Whalen and Bird (even at comparable ages). Diggins and Gray are franchise-caliber offensive players in a completely different era. Take even a Jasmine Thomas, who’s a high-caliber defender and 3-point threat and there’s an argument for comparison to Spoon in certain respects. Unlike that era, most teams of today have competent PGs or better. That couldn’t be said 20 years ago.

This list will change in just a few years markedly and it’s more than arguable that Diggins and Gray already belong.

To be fair, we never saw pre-age 30 Spoon either. Maybe if we had, she’d have won 5+ DPOYs.

PostPosted: 05/26/18 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Bird
2. Penicheiro
3. Whalen
4. Nolan
5. Dawn Staley

Brief mentions to Betty Lennox and Tully Bevilaqua

jap

PostPosted: 05/26/18 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
1. Bird
2. Penicheiro
3. Whalen
4. Nolan
5. Dawn Staley

Betty Lennox was a shooting guard who was nicknamed even in her collegiate days as "Instant Offense!"

Tully was noted mostly for her toughness and defensive prowess so much more so than any PG skills.

Last edited by jap on 05/26/18 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/26/18 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
1. Bird
2. Penicheiro
3. Whalen
4. Nolan
5. Dawn Staley

Betty Lennox was a shooting guard who was nicknamed evewn in her collegiate days as "Instant Offense!"

Tully was noted mostly for her toughness and defensive prowess so much more so than any PG skills.

And Nolan isnt a PG either

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
jap

PostPosted: 05/26/18 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
jap wrote:
RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
1. Bird
2. Penicheiro
3. Whalen
4. Nolan
5. Dawn Staley

Betty Lennox was a shooting guard who was nicknamed even in her collegiate days as "Instant Offense!"

And Nolan isnt a PG either

Thanks! I didn't even look at the top five list to see Tweety there.

Tweety was a SG who's extraordinary athleticism allowed her to stop & pop with a ridiculously quick release. She also had incredible hops that allowed her to dunk the rock even though she was only all of 5-feet, 7-inches (it even that much!).

PostPosted: 05/26/18 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In no particular order:

Ticha Penicheiro
Sue Bird
Lindsay Whalen
Dawn Staley
Becky Hammon

Honorable Mention: Tully Bevilaqua, Jennifer Azzi, Nikki Teasley

PostPosted: 05/26/18 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
...Perrot has no standing at all to be on such a list, as she was mediocre at best and had she not had the tragic end that she did would have faded into relative obscurity.

And the league would have to name its annual Sportsmanship Award after someone else.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: