33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Mercury
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 12

Tally24

PostPosted: 05/24/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, certain posters seem to have an obsession with player’s weights.

Howard dominated BG at times. And DB seemed passive after a hot start. Disappointing because we had a really good chance to start the season 3-0 before heading to LA.
sportsfan48

PostPosted: 05/24/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mercury started out hot and then decided not to play defense. I don't know if they felt sorry for the Storm's dismal 14% shooting at the beginning so they just left shooters wide open or if they were confused on whether they should cover them or not. It was very frustrating to watch. Clark had back to back plays where she was wide open - so much so that she hesitated, like is anyone going to cover me? The answer was NO.

And once we got behind, there was no urgency to try and get back. Taurasi was the only one playing with any urgency.

I don't know what happened with the technical on BG and DT. I was walking out with 1 minute to go and 13 down. Heard the announcer say they were given technicals. Most likely frustration. Not the best officiated game but none of them are and it went both ways.

canadaball

PostPosted: 05/24/18 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix has one glaring weakness, and it sure showed last night. Other than January, there are no solid perimeter defense players. In both games, coach Sandy decided (correctly...try to cut off the head) to use her one defensive chip on Bird, leaving the Mercury vulnerable to the quickness of Loyd.
If I were the Phx GM, why not cut rookie Wright (does not seem destined to get off bench), and pick up experienced free agent Kelly Faris? She may be a shaky scorer, but the kid can play tough defense.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/24/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Phoenix has one glaring weakness, and it sure showed last night. Other than January, there are no solid perimeter defense players. In both games, coach Sandy decided (correctly...try to cut off the head) to use her one defensive chip on Bird, leaving the Mercury vulnerable to the quickness of Loyd.
If I were the Phx GM, why not cut rookie Wright (does not seem destined to get off bench), and pick up experienced free agent Kelly Faris? She may be a shaky scorer, but the kid can play tough defense.

Id say that Bonner is one of the better perimeter defenders and pretty versatile aswell. Havent seen this game yet so i dont know how she did in this one. I know Loyd was guarding Bonner in the last game. Was DB defending Loyd?
If you look at the starters from the Mercury then their defense should be pretty good: January= one of the best defenders at her position, Bonner= very versatile defender (can guard 1,2 and 3 positions), Lyttle= yes she is a bit older but still a good defender and one of the best defenders at her position, Griner= potential DPOY

But teamdefense is about chemistry and January and Lyttle are new and the team needs to adjust. That will take time

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 05/24/18 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:

They might have cap issues.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/24/18 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the game now and had to laugh at the most obvious travel violation that i have seen in a while and it happened right in front of the ref and wasnt called Laughing Laughing

It happens with 18-17 seconds left in the first half and Birdy is holding the ball in both arms after a jumpstop. She is waiting a bit and then just walks backwards a couple of steps with the ball in her hands Laughing before starting her dribble. I have seen her do this previously but never so obvious as this one. How do the refs miss this Rolling Eyes

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
canadaball

PostPosted: 05/24/18 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
canadaball wrote:

They might have cap issues.

Good point. They are going with an 11 woman roster featuring 4 minimum wage type players. There is a $15k difference between a rookie like Wright, and a 4th year player like Faris. Yes, that might be a killer, given the Mercury are loaded with high salaries.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/24/18 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just took note, but no attendance reported for this game.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 05/27/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

anyone have the attendance for this game?

dinkytown

PostPosted: 05/27/18 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

ESPN has it at 8,068.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/game?gameId=401018793

toad455

PostPosted: 05/27/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
toad455 wrote:

ESPN has it at 8,068.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/game?gameId=401018793

Thanks. .com and Yahoo have it as N/A.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: