Seattle Storm 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 05/17/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
Even if SEA’s love of KML is confusing, the additions of Howard, Paris, and Canada make them a better team right away... plus an arguably better game time coach. Who is leap-frogging SEA except MAYBE Atlanta?

Dream and Storm may well be fighting it out for the last playoff spot.

I think there’s plenty of room for a usually decent team to be really bad this year if certain things don’t go right. Just not sure which one.

DC seems like a possibility. Already they are short handed, if an injury or two happens they could certainly be in trouble. Some think they are a lottery candidate anyway.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/17/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle should definitely sign Russell if she's available.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

I agree. I think Washington should give her a look as well.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sithinfiltrator wrote:
Shades wrote:
Muldrow, Whitcomb, and longtime favorite Quinn made the cut.

I personally think that Quinn and KML are wasted spots on the roster. I cringe every time Quinn comes into the game. The flow just stops. I hope they drop her to pick somebody up off of waivers.

-Lisa

should have kept mcphee. cheaper and have unknown potential. where quinn is a dead weight on salary cap, a drag on the game flow, plus painful to watch.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

The fact she dropped so far in the draft is an indicator of what GMs saw. The fact the NY dropped her when they really need another post, especially in the short run, is another indicator.

- Amanda Gorman
zune69

PostPosted: 05/17/18 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

The fact she dropped so far in the draft is an indicator of what GMs saw. The fact the NY dropped her when they really need another post, especially in the short run, is another indicator.

You could also make the case that most teams had no need for another center...and a team like Seattle, who could use some size,did not have a 2nd round pick to select Russell.How many teams really needed another center?

Minn-No
LA-No
Phoenix-No
Atlanta-No
Chicago-No
Dallas-No
LV-No
Wash-Maybe
Conn-Has a 2nd-year post(B.Jones) too early to give up on her.
Indiana-Selected a post in the 2nd round(Mavunga)
NY-Needs a post...was Coach Smith more impressed with Zahui b than MR during training camp?
Seattle-Needs a post...Did not have a 2nd rd pick.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/18/18 5:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

You could also make the case that most teams had no need for another center...and a team like Seattle, who could use some size,did not have a 2nd round pick to select Russell.How many teams really needed another center?

Minn-No
LA-No
Phoenix-No
Atlanta-No
Chicago-No
Dallas-No
LV-No
Wash-Maybe
Conn-Has a 2nd-year post(B.Jones) too early to give up on her.
Indiana-Selected a post in the 2nd round(Mavunga)
NY-Needs a post...was Coach Smith more impressed with Zahui b than MR during training camp?
Seattle-Needs a post...Did not have a 2nd rd pick.

And do we really need Muldrow? I dont know her game but i would be shocked if she ever sees the floor because i dont expect any blowout wins from the Storm either and less garbage minutes then last season

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 05/18/18 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

And do we really need Muldrow? I dont know her game but i would be shocked if she ever sees the floor because i dont expect any blowout wins from the Storm either and less garbage minutes then last season

Yeah, Russell makes more sense than Muldrow.But let's give it a couple of days....LV,Indiana,and Chicago will get first dibs on MR.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/18/18 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Muldrow has at least always given max effort. Russell has not. I don't know how coachable Russell is but Muldrow's coach said that she was the easiest player to coach he had ever had - no nonsense and she played just about every position on the floor depending on what he needed without ever a complaint. She has a nice outside game and can post up if needed. Shes tough and she plays defense. She's one of those young players with great upside that you'd like to develop. In some ways, she's a bigger version of Clark with a better handle. (but Clark has the experience and smarts from playing in the league for so long). And she brings much more to the floor than KML.

That said, Seattle does need height. In watching Russell this year at UT, I rarely saw someone who looked like a W player. She's thicker than Hamson for instance but just as slow and couldn't defend the pick and roll. I doubt if she would see the floor any more than Muldrow unless they needed someone to pick up a few quick fouls. JMO.

craigmont

PostPosted: 05/20/18 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How long until Canada starts?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/20/18 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:

Instead of Bird or Loyd Laughing Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
craigmont

PostPosted: 05/21/18 3:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
craigmont wrote:

Bird.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/21/18 5:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
craigmont wrote:

Bird.

Laughing Not going to happen this season if Bird stays healthy.

First game:
Bird 10 pts, 5 assists, 1 turnover
Canada 9 pts, 1 assist, 3 turnovers (4 steals)

She is a rookie. She played only 1 game. I really like her game and i like that Dan trusts her to actually play minutes at the point even with Bird on the floor. But her starting over Bird is just funny

Randy

PostPosted: 05/21/18 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was interesting that at the end of the 5/20 game it was Canada, Loyd, Bird, Howard and Stewart. I guess Hughes has frequently gone with 3 guards, but doesn't seem like the scheme you would want as it makes the team small at the 3, 4 and 5 positions.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/21/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
It was interesting that at the end of the 5/20 game it was Canada, Loyd, Bird, Howard and Stewart. I guess Hughes has frequently gone with 3 guards, but doesn't seem like the scheme you would want as it makes the team small at the 3, 4 and 5 positions.

I think this will be there most competitive line up . If Howard and lloyd can develop some consistency .

PostPosted: 05/21/18 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Hughes was going offense/defense a lot down the stretch. Bird sat when he could get her out for defensive possessions (getting Clark in for the perimeter, and sometimes Paris to bang inside); and then it was that Bird/Canada/Loyd/Howard/Stewart lineup for offense. At least it suggests that he knows what he's trying to do. Also indicates a lot of trust in a rookie to play defense - and/or an acknowledgement that Bird's D is awful.

PostPosted: 05/21/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
But her starting over Bird is just funny

I'm not joking.

I'm as big a Sue Bird fan as anybody, but if she needs to play limited minutes, why waste them in the 1st quarter? Bring her off the bench to fill in at the 1 and 2, and save her energy for a potential "Die Bitches." At the very least, I think as the season progresses we will see more minutes going to Loyd and Canada at the guard spots.

I don't think I'm alone in feeling that Canada passes the eye test in a way that no other rookie point guard we've drafted has since Sue. Obviously the fact that she's in the game at crunch time suggests that the team sees this too. The big catch-up happened while Canada was on the floor.

The future of this team is going to be built around Loyd, Stewart, and now maybe Canada. We have our Sue Bird successor (notice I'm not saying replacement.) What are we waiting for?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/21/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe it's lloyd I am not digging on this team but there seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/21/18 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s early but this time it does seem that finding Bird’s successor feels a little more real. If the trend continues, maybe by mid-season some sort of transition could be in order?

I wonder how Bird REALLY feels about all this. There’s a side of her that wants to go on forever and not think about the end. I do believe she wants to go to the 2020 Olympics. But isn’t there also a side that realizes that maybe this is finally it? Can you go to the Olympics as a backup on your own WNBA team? Maybe now she’ll see it’s time to let the younger generation take over?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/21/18 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I'm not joking.

I'm as big a Sue Bird fan as anybody, but if she needs to play limited minutes, why waste them in the 1st quarter? Bring her off the bench to fill in at the 1 and 2, and save her energy for a potential "Die Bitches." At the very least, I think as the season progresses we will see more minutes going to Loyd and Canada at the guard spots.

I don't think I'm alone in feeling that Canada passes the eye test in a way that no other rookie point guard we've drafted has since Sue. Obviously the fact that she's in the game at crunch time suggests that the team sees this too. The big catch-up happened while Canada was on the floor.

The future of this team is going to be built around Loyd, Stewart, and now maybe Canada. We have our Sue Bird successor (notice I'm not saying replacement.) What are we waiting for?

+1

PostPosted: 05/21/18 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I'm not joking.

Because you want her to set the tone and get everyone on track to start the game. Get Stewart going, get Loyd going. Then sub her after 4-5 minutes and bring in Canada as your first sub of the bench probably with Howard. You can limit her minutes exactly like Dan did last night.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/21/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I'm as big a Sue Bird fan as anybody, but if she needs to play limited minutes, why waste them in the 1st quarter? Bring her off the bench to fill in at the 1 and 2, and save her energy for a potential "Die Bitches."

Because you want her to set the tone and get everyone on track to start the game. Get Stewart going, get Loyd going. Then sub her after 4-5 minutes and bring in Canada as your first sub of the bench probably with Howard. You can limit her minutes exactly like Dan did last night.

Also, if you're going to limit a player's minutes to minimise fatigue, then having them start on the bench is a bit pointless. No one is fatigued at the start of a game, so it makes little sense to rest them at that point.
Let's say you're going to rest a player for 3 minutes per quarter. Surely it's better for those 3 minutes to be in the middle of the quarter than at the start (or end) of it.

PostPosted: 05/21/18 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I'm as big a Sue Bird fan as anybody, but if she needs to play limited minutes, why waste them in the 1st quarter? Bring her off the bench to fill in at the 1 and 2, and save her energy for a potential "Die Bitches."

Also, if you're going to limit a player's minutes to minimise fatigue, then having them start on the bench is a bit pointless. No one is fatigued at the start of a game, so it makes little sense to rest them at that point.
Let's say you're going to rest a player for 3 minutes per quarter. Surely it's better for those 3 minutes to be in the middle of the quarter than at the start (or end) of it.

Okay. I just think that the time when the best lineup Seattle could put on the floor includes Canada is coming sooner than people might think.

I don't know if Stewart and Loyd need Bird to 'get them going.' Some speed on defense and easy buckets off steals and on the break get them going.

Bird, Jackson, Loyd, and Stewart didn't have to wait on the bench. Their development started immediately. I'm not saying Canada is a No. 1, but she's good enough to play right now. Let's get her going. I can't wait to see what our 3 young stars can do when they're turned loose.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/21/18 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My point was purely regarding fatigue.
Bottom line though - it's a good problem for Seattle to have, not a bad one. Whatever combo they choose, there is talent on the floor in the guard positions. Canada has hit the ground running and is looking good so far.
Elsewhere on the floor things aren't looking so great. That's probably where Dan needs to be focussing his attention.

PostPosted: 05/21/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
My point was purely regarding fatigue.
Bottom line though - it's a good problem for Seattle to have, not a bad one. Whatever combo they choose, there is talent on the floor in the guard positions. Canada has hit the ground running and is looking good so far.
Elsewhere on the floor things aren't looking so great. That's probably where Dan needs to be focussing his attention.

Agreed. It's a nice 3-guard rotation any way you slice it (even though I might quibble about how the minutes are distributed.)

The Storm are weak at the 5, but Phoenix is a buzzsaw in there with Griner and Lyttle. They are going to be a huge problem for the league.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: